How does Galactic War pick your opponents?

Replies

• Options
    The trick is knowing when to retreat. If you do it right, you can beat even groups a few levels above you.

I've seen some odd progression. One day my first group was 57, and it continually dropped until the final battle against level 42s. Random is fine, I like random, but shouldn't it still get progressively harder? The rewards improve, after all.
  • Options
    As level 44, my GW always seems to start in the 30's for the first 3 battles, which are obviously a cake walk. I usually don't start losing characters until the 3rd set and then by the 2nd to last battle i'm using all my garbage guys just to try to eat up hits and maybe get a couple shots in. I'm still a few days away from having 2 functional teams and i've only made it to the last battle once or twice and never gotten over the hump. Often, in the last set, i lose Consular before he even has a chance to heal, be healed, or even for Chewy to taunt.

GW is definitely my favorite part of the game so far because it's involved, requires strategy and isn't an auto-win scenario like a lot of the other elements of the game.
  • SiriTa
    43 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Often, in the last set, i lose Consular before he even has a chance to heal, be healed, or even for Chewy to taunt.

Have you been retreating? Depending on the speed of your characters and theirs, and/or the debuffs/buffs they are applying, it could mean the difference between a win and a loss.

For example, if you have a fast team where two of yours attack first, you could theoretically attack once, retreat, rinse, repeat, and win the battle. Very slowly, but it's doable. I've used that tactic to beat groups higher level and better geared than my own where I normally would have given up on GW for the day.
  • Time
    293 posts Member
    Options
    I seem to always be fine until the 3rd to last fight. Right now Im against someone 7 lvls above me. Yesterday it was a 6 star sid. Last week was against a team so strong i couldn't even kill consular before my whole team was wiped. I'm sure I'll beat the team 7 lvls above me but unless the last 2 fights are my lvl or lower I'll have no chance of winning. I don't mind not winning every day but there should be less randomness in how opponents are picked.
  • Options
    SiriTa wrote: »
    Often, in the last set, i lose Consular before he even has a chance to heal, be healed, or even for Chewy to taunt.

Have you been retreating? Depending on the speed of your characters and theirs, and/or the debuffs/buffs they are applying, it could mean the difference between a win and a loss.

For example, if you have a fast team where two of yours attack first, you could theoretically attack once, retreat, rinse, repeat, and win the battle. Very slowly, but it's doable. I've used that tactic to beat groups higher level and better geared than my own where I normally would have given up on GW for the day.

How do you retreat? Close the game?
  • Options
    Nosnibor wrote: »
    How do you retreat? Close the game?

Top left corner icon is options. Click that and select retreat. You stop that battle and then can reselect it and both your team and the other team have the same health and same ability timers as when you left off.

For example against a hard team I will bring in my 'C' team that has a lot of high damage / low level chars. I bring them in, I get one round in focus firing their lowest health guy (except Sid - don't focus him). I usually lose 2-3 guys and then I retreat after that first round. I do this against big AOE teams as well since they'll waste their AOEs on my crap guys and won't have those abilities for my A team.

Then I bring back in my A team and finish off the wounded guy or deal with AOE guys w/o AOE. Then I either continue the fight or tactically retreat if I feel that my characters are low health or I want to remove a debuff from the other team.

Whenever you have a low health char sub him/her out. Bring them back in when you're fighting Baress or Chewy as their final guy and then heal them or at least charge their heal abilities.

Galactic War is definitely the most enjoyable game mode for me as a mostly FTP guy ($10) around upper 40 levels. Arena is stupid and the light side/dark side battles don't unlock often enough.
  • Options
    My little gear has been grayed out. I've been wondering what it does. I can't click on it. Am I missing something?
  • Options
    Hmm retreat i have to check that option too. Yesterday a "fight" against Lvl58 (me 48) was over after 6 attacks from the opponent. 6k+ damage and on speed. But with retreat i let them waste the first attacks on a C team, and then lets see how far i get.
  • Time
    293 posts Member
    Options
    Well i got lucky as my 3rd to last fight was 7 lvls above me and last were 1-2 below me. Somehow it was my last fight that was harder then the others so maybe there is a hidden rating used to pick your opponents.
  • Options
    doing quite well atm i spent only £4, rank 30-50 atm all my main characters are in level 6 gear and almost level 7 gear and level 50 all. I rely on the 150 crystals per day to rank up my talia and ct 5555
  • Options
    Nosnibor wrote: »
    My little gear has been grayed out. I've been wondering what it does. I can't click on it. Am I missing something?

You can't be on auto and you can only get into settings on your own turn. :)
  • DigitalKLB
    55 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've actually never had a problem with the GWs. I think I've only not completed it twice and those were a few from the end.

Things that I think really help me:

I have some decent depth (12 characters that can realistically be used in a few battles, 7 of those at my current level)

I have a 4 star ewok elder which can be a lifesaver because you can revive someone and then retreat and bring them back later to get healed up.

Lobot and the Ewok Elder that can clear anything placed on my characters.

Finally, strategy. If the group I'm fighting is a bunch of healers, I'll put some of my higher damage guys in there. But if they are rockin guys that have skill/healing blocks I'll put in a bunch of healers and Lobot and just weather the storm. Kill a few off, retreat and put my damage guys back in, get the cool downs reset and proceed on.

As far as how it picks the opponents, I honestly think it knows which characters are weak. I get a heavy healing block team just about everytime I end the previous battle with characters that are hurtin on health. Also, don't just go by level. I've had tough battles with lower levels and easy battles with 60s. Took me a bit to realize the stars the characters have is just as important as the level. You'll get monster lvl 52 teams every now and then with 6 and 7 star guys.
  • Options
    DigitalKLB wrote: »
    I've actually never had a problem with the GWs. I think I've only not completed it twice and those were a few from the end.

Things that I think really help me:

I have some decent depth (12 characters that can realistically be used in a few battles, 7 of those at my current level)

I have a 4 star ewok elder which can be a lifesaver because you can revive someone and then retreat and bring them back later to get healed up.

Lobot and the Ewok Elder that can clear anything placed on my characters.

Finally, strategy. If the group I'm fighting is a bunch of healers, I'll put some of my higher damage guys in there. But if they are rockin guys that have skill/healing blocks I'll put in a bunch of healers and Lobot and just weather the storm. Kill a few off, retreat and put my damage guys back in, get the cool downs reset and proceed on.

As far as how it picks the opponents, I honestly think it knows which characters are weak. I get a heavy healing block team just about everytime I end the previous battle with characters that are hurtin on health. Also, don't just go by level. I've had tough battles with lower levels and easy battles with 60s. Took me a bit to realize the stars the characters have is just as important as the level. You'll get monster lvl 52 teams every now and then with 6 and 7 star guys.

I've only won GW once.
    I have 14 characters lvl 60, almost all gear lvl 6,7 or 8. Sid 7*, jawa 6*, luminari 7*, JC 5*, IG86 5*, Barriss 4*, Vadar 4*, Chewe 4*, Douku 4*. But I come up against some outrageously strong teams. Today round 6 I got a team with four 7* characters and a 5* Barriss, destroyed my entire pack.
  • Options
    [quote="joelightyear;12822
    I've only won GW once.
    I have 14 characters lvl 60, almost all gear lvl 6,7 or 8. Sid 7*, jawa 6*, luminari 7*, JC 5*, IG86 5*, Barriss 4*, Vadar 4*, Chewe 4*, Douku 4*. But I come up against some outrageously strong teams. Today round 6 I got a team with four 7* characters and a 5* Barriss, destroyed my entire pack. [/quote]

Today I relished running into Barriss, and tomorrow will be great running into 4* light geared Kylo Rens.

I'm not sure if there is anything to the last team you went in with, but I am generally throwing out a very weak team at the end of a fight to refresh a couple cooldowns before moving on to the next fight. Currently at level 47 and haven't not cleared a GW since getting Luminara (was really tough with just JC).
  • Options
    Been stated, but opponent does seem random but in a certain range. Had a few rough days where couldn't compete, I mean complete...lol, because I was facing 10+ levels higher (I was in mid to high 40s). Since getting above 50, opponent level has "normalized" a little more. Have had a few tough fights that I've lost and couldn't complete the war, but completing all battles in roughly 4 out of every 5 wars now.
    You need a deep roster and know how to fight with different team components.
    I have roughly 5 teams, at different levels of course.
    You have to match/adjust your team to the opponent in some instances.
    Retreat is your friend.
    I rotate healers frequently when retreating and facing tougher opponents to keep them "fresh" on cool downs and health, similar with other characters.
    Of course, think I have all available major healers so viable for me to do.
    I will generally retreat and sub in a "weaker" team once I've cut an opponent to 3 or fewer characters. Let's me play and learn other characters while keeping my better teams healthy for other battles. Yes, I've put up 5 lvl 20 characters to finish off 3 or fewer 50+ characters that I've cut down to very low red line after healing my main team to full health.
    Learn to use auxiliary heals, characters who can heal themselves and others, but aren't really healers, against lesser opponents. Saves your main healers for tougher fights.
    Can't count how many times I've subbed 2 fresh healers with damaged characters to heal them up and then rotate them out to save for next fight. I've also subbed in to reduce cooldowns.
    Plenty of ways to manage your war, but does require some strategy and creative retreating.
    I did retreat out of a battle the other day after having 6 dots each and detonators attached to all my squad after a start of opponent attacks from Sid, Vader, Ben, and Greedo.
    Can't just take one team and march through the galaxy...lol
    "That is why you fail."
  • Options
    It's all about heals. Use Bariss as your leader and use a few more healers. Along with Bariss I use JC, Talia, Sid, and Dooky. I have Luminara sitting on the bench for when Talia gets burned down(she is first to die every time). As others have stated you also need some depth. Chewbaca is fairly useful for glass cannon teams.
  • Options
    Sirita, do you have many level 1 chars you never equipped? I tend to get the lvl 60 epic gear right at the places that give you 100, 200, and 200. For the last 3 matches, I will get an all level 60 enemy but then will cool down to 55 or 58 usually.

A tip for thise not advancing is in whcih players to gear a spice up. I gear Talias physical attack, and today I get +400 to +600 every time she lands a regular hit. This has saved her so many times, over and over. She is the one character that is always least at rick. I only use her special when she is 70+ or up. And I ALWAYS USE HER heal, if she is 95% or up, so the other healers are fully loaded. Her heal-while-hitting enables that. You you max the first Ability, and then her heal. Not many people know that she will increase turn meter 35% at skill 4 Heal. This allows me to, when enemy is about heal or kill a char, to heal team, and get offensive turn before them. Again, very little know fact about Talia. I have her at level *7 and violet gear. There may be other chars, but she really has more health than Luminara, and will heal team for 35% and only lose 20% of her health (which ahe can get back in 4 turns with regular hit. The normal attack for her, I have at 5. The paasive heal on her normal attack is worthless without high level. In arena, a shame. The AI uses her heal that consumes 20% of her energy, when she is low on energy, instead of hitting regular (which actually would help her). CG wants a good game, you can fix that please.

Now prepare tonsee Kyle on every single game.and the new chars as well. The Jedi teams have been anihilated eith last patch.

Old Daka
  • Options
    i hit a level 60 full purple gear team on the 3rd fight...i am only 52..fml
  • Options
    Level 50 And I never beat the GW. I have 14 characters at 50, Im 98th in the arena still can't ever win this stupid mode due to lvl60s that aren't even there on my server... Gg ea
  • SlyGambit
    1246 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I would wager that they're pulling teams based on power levels when they complete a GW node (or GW itself) but pulling in their current or winning GW squad. So they may complete a node against Barriss with just lower level/geared tanks/healers but win the final GW node with their purple 60 team. That purple 60 team might be 5-10k stronger. It sounds like no one gets the crazy team on the final node - it's always earlier nodes. I've found my hardest node is usually 2nd/3rd from the end.

I have been lucky and haven't gotten stuck with any 60 teams but when I was 49 I got roadblocked by a superstar 48/high gear team who just wiped the floor with my scrub team and then proceeded to get a couple lucky crits against my top team. I had just brought through another tough round so they weren't charged/healed up and I was only 6 deep in fully geared/leveled chars. I spent a little more time rounding out my GW team so I can almost run 2 fully geared/leveled teams and haven't lost since. But again I haven't gotten stuck with anything more than 2-3 levels above me.

• Scoobings
    47 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Just happened to me for the first time. Level 50 and my 4th team, a *silver* node is full 60 five star team in all epics lol. No galactic war for me today I guess

Update: yeah I got smoked. Sent in a suicide squad to eat their cool downs, they got wiped. Sent in main task force and they all got one shot.

Good to see EA's "balance" has made it into this game too. Was worried it hadn't.
  • Options
    I had a really tough GW line up yesterday, had to beat 8 level 60 teams, about half fully geared, consecutively! Didnt get the randomly generated easier teams at all, every team was an actual player.
  • Options
    It is random mostly. I've had easier matches that came after the previous quite often
  • Options
    To progress the thread here, I'd suggest to EA that they revise how opponents are picked. I don't mind a little variation, since you are playing other player teams, but the difficulty should scale just like the rewards do. You shouldn't have a lucky day where you face only one semi-difficult squad and that is at like the last or second to last battle, and then the next day make it three fights in and run up against someone way stronger than you.

I have a top 750 squad with a dozen or so strong characters, level 55-56 and 5* ish, and I'm halfway through my GW today and it's pitted me against a level 64 guy with 61 6* Sid, 60 6* Lum, 60 5* Kylo, 60 5* JC (all of which are in purple gear) and a 60 5* Cad in teal gear. This is only my sixth fight in GW. I'd be fine if I ran into this basically impossible matchup on the last fight, but not in the middle of the board.
  • Options
    They posted recently that they are likely going to change the way matchmaking occurs in the upcoming months. Possibly with a +/- of a certain number of levels so that lower level people aren't being matched with parties owned by a lvl 70 wizard.
  • Options
    This is a pretty old post and I haven't kept up with it but my question is still the same. Since the last changes to it I still cannot beat it. I'm lvl 67. I thought since I was getting close to the cap at 60 I would be able to make 2 teams to play this but now I am lagging behind again trying to get my main squad to 70. I've been running out of credits and this is becoming a pain. I don't pay for anything (especially when packs are 60$ for a mobile game). So this game mode is pointless. I do it to get my 100 shards for the day and then it's back to the other stuff...
  • CPMP
    974 posts Member
    Options
    I read they changed how speed works. Anyone else felt any difference today, especially in GW? For me it felt like the usual Dooku, Phasma, Sid teams attacked 3 times more often then they used to.
    Almost every Dooku's attack was double, and both him and sid was getting turn meter like crazy.
    Any info on what they did with speed? Anyone?
  • Options
    I've been open-minded about the GW since the last update, but it is most definitely worse since the update. It took me roughly 5-6 weeks to win 9/10 GW's when I first started playing. In the last 5 weeks, I have not won a single GW and in fact, my team power has increased a HUGE amount in that time. I not only lose GW every day, but I often can't win more than 3-4 battles, it is a monumental joke. I'm very nearly to the point of bagging it as 3-4 wins a day don't get you enough credits to level anything, there is no point. I don't disagree with making things a challenge, but this is beyond ridiculous. I am part of a guild of 7/70's an most are having the same issue, but most began a few weeks before me and had cleared 10/10 before the GW changes. -losing patience..
    IGN: jq
  • Options
    i usually don't sign in to comment on anything but i had to for this topic.....this has become IMPOSSIBLE!!!! i'm 6/10 and i cant break the 10 mark..and just like you, i can't win more than 4-5 battles. the sucky part is that it'll be like this for a long time.....its a shame...
  • Options
    It's strange. I run two accounts. On my primary account (level 60), I haven't won in a couple of weeks, and consistently draw multiple teams 5+ levels higher than me that end up killing off my suicide squads and knocking my health down faster than I can heal.

On my other account (level 50), I win every day with my 5 main characters, sometimes having to swap healers.

Not sure what the difference is. It would be nice to get more GW wins on my primary account. I thought it might have just been bad luck in draws, but the two are so different I think there has to be something going on.