How do we make debuff teams relevant again?

Prev1
LeoRavus
1165 posts Member
Adding new characters with flashy new debuffs is silly with the triple cleanse is dominating everything. If it's not tenacity up preventing the debuff in the first place, it's cleansed too soon to do jack squat.

Sure there are debuff teams that can win. But there are plenty of others that could be cool to use that are rendered useless by the ever rising rex/chaze/gk triple threat.

The game has become very limited due to poor choices in character design. Is there any remedy to this? A character or zeta that prevents enemy cleanses perhaps.

I keep feeling like the game is becoming broken beyond repair.

Replies

• Gwonk
    239 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    I agree with the frustration of so much cleansing. Though I have faith there will be a solution. I've been running a Jyn lead and it does sometimes feel like an uphill battle at times.
  • Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    Time to balance Chaze.
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Jedi_Reach_
    1337 posts Member
    Supercat wrote: »
    Time to balance Chaze.
    Truth
  • LeoRavus
    1165 posts Member
    Gwonk wrote: »
    I agree with the frustration of so much cleansing. Though I have faith there will be a solution. I've been running a Jyn lead and it does sometimes feel like an uphill battle at times.

Hopefully there will be a solution. Zaul can still beat the triple cleanse on offense but not because of debuffs. It's the stealth/crit immunity/TM gain that wins. Debuff teams without that might as well stay home.
  • KueChael
    930 posts Moderator
    The Emperor is the debuffs only hope.... his coming zetas will possibly make the Empire great again.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    We will need to see move leads/uniques that play along the lines of Vader and dots. I think we should baby step this.

Maybe an emperor palp zeta that can make his shocks permanent and non-resistible. This style should begin to show up before we just stop ten up/mass cleanses from occurring.
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    KueChael wrote: »
    The Emperor is the debuffs only hope.... his coming zetas will possibly make the Empire great again.

Maybe EP could get a zeta "enemy negative effects are re-applied the first time they are dispelled"?
  • LeoRavus
    1165 posts Member
    Nebulous wrote: »
    We will need to see move leads/uniques that play along the lines of Vader and dots. I think we should baby step this.

Maybe an emperor palp zeta that can make his shocks permanent and non-resistible. This style should begin to show up before we just stop ten up/mass cleanses from occurring.

There definitely needs to be more uncleansables. The game is kind of ridiculous in its current state. Even people who use the cleanse teams are getting sick of it. I was hoping Tarkin's rework would be something along those lines but it sounds pretty blah.
  • Romao33
    121 posts Member
    Why not by introducing the reverse cleanse? Change all buff into its opposite debuff, plus increase the cooldown by one
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    LeoRavus wrote: »

There definitely needs to be more uncleansables. The game is kind of ridiculous in its current state. Even people who use the cleanse teams are getting sick of it. I was hoping Tarkin's rework would be something along those lines but it sounds pretty blah.

I think tarkin could be awesome. I'd of loved it if his debuff were non-resistible to Everyone and on rebels, can't be cleansed.
  • Deedlit
    118 posts Member
    @Romao33 that debuff will just be cleansed regardless lol. I think they need to change tenacity up to how tenacity down works. There should remove immunity to debuff with a buff for multiple turns. As a side note, I think dodge mechanic makes the game bad as well.
  • LeoRavus
    1165 posts Member
    Deedlit wrote: »
    @Romao33 that debuff will just be cleansed regardless lol. I think they need to change tenacity up to how tenacity down works. There should remove immunity to debuff with a buff for multiple turns. As a side note, I think dodge mechanic makes the game bad as well.

Maybe tenacity up should become just that. Raise tenacity by 40% or whatever. It's currently debuff immunity.
  • •Make tenacity down a 100% chance to land a debuff (excluding dodges and resists)
    •Make a Nihlus counter (something that blocks drain force)
    And:
    Supercat wrote: »
    Time to balance Chaze.

• I can still apply debuffs pretty well, but need zDV and SA to push him up to go first.

jlj2wy7it3la.jpg

Missing lead there was GK - I also will switch out DT / DN at times for SiT or Shore.

I've found the key is getting zDV to go first, then DN .... EP doesn't matter the order - save the AOE for round 2 and use hate flow right away - yanks TM and you are hitting harder early on with O up which they can't dispel since Baze is on CD and getting pinned. When EP comes up in rd 2, launch the AOE stun. With a few stuns, the Sith will be back up again, and then use EP to just start spamming the basic. Usually kill baze or GK first.

The nice thing here is since Baze is slow, if Chirrut or GK cleanse in their rd 2 early, Baze has had so much TM removed that he's still in his round 1 and the CD from DN is still on him. With this setup generally baze doesn't get off any specials - since he doesn't get ten up from having DoTs on him I just shock / stun / daze the bajeezus out of him.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    @JohnnySteelAlpha I have a 273 sa and sometimes I still don't get to go first on my shard. But most of the time, I open the same as you and ya, it's pretty easy to win on offense. And defense holds quite decent too. But this is about making other debuffs stick around. Not just DoTs. And considering the new Jedi, I mean rebel Ashoka will be immune to our move, we needed tarkin to make the debuffs he applies to rebels noncleansable.
  • Bora
    440 posts Member

Even a slightly different take could get the job done. Crackling doom could be zetaed adding:

"Each time an enemy is damaged by crackling doom it has a 60% chance to lose all buffs, this effect cannot be resisted and the emperor gains 5% turn meter for each enemy who had its buffs removed that way".
    Res non verba
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Bora wrote: »

Even a slightly different take could get the job done. Crackling doom could be zetaed adding:

"Each time an enemy is damaged by crackling doom it has a 60% chance to lose all buffs, this effect cannot be resisted and the emperor gains 5% turn meter for each enemy who had its buffs removed that way".

We are looking at making debuffs a tactic. Right now, it's very challenging to keep debuffs on your opponent. It's not about removing Their buffs.
  • Nebulous wrote: »
    @JohnnySteelAlpha I have a 273 sa and sometimes I still don't get to go first on my shard. But most of the time, I open the same as you and ya, it's pretty easy to win on offense. And defense holds quite decent too. But this is about making other debuffs stick around. Not just DoTs. And considering the new Jedi, I mean rebel Ashoka will be immune to our move, we needed tarkin to make the debuffs he applies to rebels noncleansable.

They'd have to change the mechanics or open up something totally new. If they want to change it - very easy to do and many ways. I'm not hopeful though as I've seen this pattern over a few mobile games where devs consistently give "bad guys" debuffs, balance their stats down to account for that (EP is classic example) --- then create "good guy" teams with higher stats and immune to debuffs. Ends up being a crummy stat battle which the higher stat good guys win. This goes deep I think to some good v evil conception of how to make a game. That's how you end up with GK / Chaze / R2 or / and Rex where there are 3/4 toons with cleanses and these mega tank / stat teams that are immune to debuffs generally - exception being Vader's DoTs.

And as you point out - now we have a self-cleanser that is now immune to DV - so that is shrinking further still. I'm hoping they change it, a large chunk of the game is being closed out, but I don't see it happening anytime soon unless they do something else we aren't aware of.
  • I think the most sensible change wouldn't be to make tenacity up a simple 50% increase to tenacity, not an effective debuff immunity like it is now... it should be negated by potency up, or tenacity down, but it's not... getting debuffs cleansed isn't so much the issue... rather it's not having any chance to apply new ones after chirrut or Rex cleanse them. Tenacity up is simply not balanced.
  • Tenacity up should not be debuff immunity. It should be negated by potency up, and tenacity down should land even with tenacity up and overwrite it.

But Like the last guys said, Tenacity up is not balanced.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Tenacity up should not be debuff immunity. It should be negated by potency up, and tenacity down should land even with tenacity up and overwrite it.

Tenacity down will land when the opponent has tenacity up and they do cancel each other out.
  • Bora
    440 posts Member

We are looking at making debuffs a tactic. Right now, it's very challenging to keep debuffs on your opponent. It's not about removing Their buffs.

True, I was thinking about the tm gain combined with the one from shock, it could make him go pretty often, meaning more chances to land the passive mass dispel.
    But the tm gain portion could be traded for landing a shock, or his leader ability could be upgraded (still with a zeta) to share the tm and health gain to both sith and empire allies, plus "debuffs applied by sith and empire allies can't be dispelled" (they still expire normally)
    Res non verba
  • Bora
    440 posts Member
    The point is that we need something to revamp debuff based teams, since sith and empire teams are the most popular choice and the emperor suits both and have two Lvl 7 abilities he's the most obvious way. Still, we can't have a toon single handedly negating a whole game mechanic.

Tenacity up is unbalanced, but the solution is not having a single character removing it and or making debuffs unresistable AND undispellable. I think that would be too much. Either a rework on how tenacity up works, or someone with a passive mass dispell/ the ability to make debuffs unresistable or undispellable could help.
    Res non verba
  • STRIKEBOMB
    1232 posts Member
    Give someone 3 turn ability block that can't be resisted by support characters or removed by any means....this would fit grievous nicely :)
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    The point is that we need something to revamp debuff based teams, since sith and empire teams are the most popular choice and the emperor suits both and have two Lvl 7 abilities he's the most obvious way. Still, we can't have a toon single handedly negating a whole game mechanic.

Tenacity up is unbalanced, but the solution is not having a single character removing it and or making debuffs unresistable AND undispellable. I think that would be too much. Either a rework on how tenacity up works, or someone with a passive mass dispell/ the ability to make debuffs unresistable or undispellable could help.

An aoe tenacity down could work. Tenacity down already cannot be resisted and it cancels out tenacity up.
  • Bora
    440 posts Member
    edited May 2017

An aoe tenacity down could work. Tenacity down already cannot be resisted and it cancels out tenacity up.

Agreed, but you still need debuffs to stay.
    Right now we have three problems: landing the debuffs, making them stay, and do that without breaking the game or concentrate everything on a single "must have" toon

Edit: grammar
    Res non verba
  • scuba
    14042 posts Member
    Tenacity up should not be debuff immunity. It should be negated by potency up, and tenacity down should land even with tenacity up and overwrite it.

Tenacity Down does land if you have tenacity up. It doesn't over write it but it negates it.
    Tenacity up is + 999900% tenacity
    Tenacity Down is - 999900% tenacity
    When both are applied they cancel.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member

Agreed, but you still need debuffs to stay.
    Right now we have three problems: landing the debuffs, making them stay, and do that without breaking the game or concentrate everything on a single "must have" toon

Edit: grammar

Most cleanses are on a cooldown. So it's not terrible to reapply. Currently, chirriut and Rex can grant ten up which removers and cleanse.

Maybe we need a rapid low/no damage tenacity down aoe coupled with tm reduction/cooldown increase so we can have a turn to apply critical debuffs.

The problem is, We will need to slot in the "must have" toon since the game favors buffs and cleanses over debuffs.
  • Gaidal_Cain
    1640 posts Member
    Won't Tarkin's abilities already be akin to having tenacity down as they won't be resistable by Rebels?

The issue is less abilities being applied and more getting them to stick.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Won't Tarkin's abilities already be akin to having tenacity down as they won't be resistable by Rebels?

The issue is less abilities being applied and more getting them to stick.

Yes this is true. I think we may need heroes who can prevent certain debuffs from being cleared. This avenue just pigeon holes that hero though. Similar to Vader.

Maybe a passive unique will do the trick. Or perhaps debuffs can "resist" being cleaned. Add this to tenacity/potency or maybe a new stat all together. This could allow debuff centered teams to stack a stat to defend cleansers.