Additional 50 crystal refreshes should be permanent

JacenRoe
3016 posts Member
Even though double drops have ended the additional 50 crystal refresh for regular energy, and 100 crystal refresh for cantina are still in effect. I think this should be a permanent fixture in the game for the following reasons.

1. It helps a bit with the gear crunch. Not massively, but a little. And a little help is all that's needed. An extra 50 crystal refresh per day spent farming stun cuffs for instance gets you an extra cuff about every 3 weeks for about 1050 crystals with average drop rates.

2. Hard node farming essential characters sucks up lots more energy than it used to. If you want to have Baze, Shoretrooper, Krennic, and Nihilus at 7* any time before 2019 then farming them off of 20 energy hard nodes will kill gear farming.

3. Character progression and roster depth needs are different. The devs have created lots of enjoyable content that we need deep rosters to actually take part in. 3 refreshes at 50 energy opens the tap slightly on gear allowing us to direct resources more efficiently. 100 refreshes are garbage for gear or shards. Not worth it. For free players/low spenders don't ever do that. But an extra 50 refresh, or saving those crystals for cantina or something else is an actual choice.

4. It allows newer players to progress faster. I started playing Dec of 2015. My wife started just a few months ago. The game is ENORMOUS now by comparison. There is so much to do that it's overwhelming. And the gear pay gate was really designed for the early days when much less of that existed. An extra 50 refresh helps new players get up to the cap, and get ready for some of these game mods at a more reasonable rate for the game as it is now.

I can't stand the short sighted bickering of people on this forum from opposite camps. There are those who think everything in this game should be easy, and are disgusted with the idea that the devs need to make money for their work. Then there are people that blindly think nobody should ever suggest any way the game could be made better, and apply their harsh work philosophy to a form of recreation.

The devs are constantly making changes to provide us with a fun game that also keeps them employed. They want it to be an accomplishment to progress our characters, but not so hard that large numbers of people get frustrated, and quit. It's a delicate balance, but on the whole they do a great job. 100% mod drops was the right change for the game, at this time, and I think 50/50/50 energy refreshes, and 100/100/100 cantina refreshes being available daily is the right move going forward.

Replies

• nskowyra
    144 posts Member
    Options
    I'm in your camp
  • Brigger
    241 posts Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it is permanent. Just like the 100% drop rate for mods
  • Options
    Brigger wrote: »

They said it was a limited time thing
  • Options
    Same. Esp #4 I got my friend into the game and a week after he joined was HAAT and mods and ships. He still feels like he is "behind"
    I liked the flash event but 15 cuffs and guns falls short. Leave tier 3 as the "challenging" tier and but have the cuffs and guns there first time you play in that day. Imo the guns are the biggest problem because it requires more gear for it with no full guns available in raids.
    And having these newer toons with one hard node that extra refresh while I never used it before I did when it was "cheaper"
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options
    Ben_kenobi wrote: »

They said it was a limited time thing

I thought it was temporary, but I've been wrong before.

@EA_Jesse Is this a limited time thing, or permanent? And if it's not permanent is it something you would consider? It opens the gear tap slightly, but requires crystals being spent to do so. Seems like a win-win to me.
  • Options
    ^^ same. I read it as temporary.
  • Brigger
    241 posts Member
    Options
    Can anybody find the post where they talk about this? I cant seem to
  • Options
    The in-game announcement said it was a limited time. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if it stays open for a little bit longer, so the devs can see if it increases crystal usage rates, and if it does outside of the double-drop window, they make it permanent.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options
    Can anybody find the post where they talk about this? I cant seem to

I looked through the update post with all the 40th anniversary swag in it before posting this. I didn't see any reference to it. The only thing I recall is an in game announcement that I think was saying it's for a limited time.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options
    The in-game announcement said it was a limited time. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if it stays open for a little bit longer, so the devs can see if it increases crystal usage rates, and if it does outside of the double-drop window, they make it permanent.

That occurred to me as well that it's a test run, and they will analyze the data after a while to see if it's good for player progression, and profitable too. I am DEFINITELY doing 50/50/50 per day as long as it's available.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    The impression I got was that it was limited during the weekly event, and the mod drops being doubled was permanent.

And, I agree with Indominable_J. If EA finds it to be more profitable then they may just keep it permanent. It may help alleviate the gear grind as well, which has been an issue the devs have been considering.
  • Options
    From what I read, it appears to be temporary too.

I'm torn on the request to make it permanent.

While love the extra "fight time", it just made the week-long Event more "special".

I'm sure the game benefited from many people using up their crystals.

Maybe if it's permanent, great, and the next week-long event will have it at 4.
    When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Started mid-FEB 2017, and not trying to reach the top.
  • bolobaby
    275 posts Member
    Options
    +1

I agree. OP makes articulate and fine points!
  • Options
    Buying a stun cuff from shipments costs 1400 crystals, and an extra 28 50 energy refreshes gives 67.2 salvage, assuming a 20% drop rate. That is roughly one stun cuff extra per 12 weeks, but that is assuming you are buying stun cuffs from shipments rather than raid gear. The only real difference this change would make would be to let medium spenders and a handful of the best rerolls pull ahead decisively during the initial push to 85. Nobody else would be able to afford the 450 crystals per day to take full advantage of this.
  • Options
    Buying a stun cuff from shipments costs 1400 crystals, and an extra 28 50 energy refreshes gives 67.2 salvage, assuming a 20% drop rate. That is roughly one stun cuff extra per 12 weeks, but that is assuming you are buying stun cuffs from shipments rather than raid gear. The only real difference this change would make would be to let medium spenders and a handful of the best rerolls pull ahead decisively during the initial push to 85. Nobody else would be able to afford the 450 crystals per day to take full advantage of this.

That's only if you also do the 3 cantina refreshes. If you are only talking about the 3 ls/ds refreshes, that's 150 crystals per day. Anyone can do that.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options

Whales will always have an advantage. They will always pull ahead. As a free player I'm ok with that. Avoiding benefitial changes because it might help spenders is cutting your nose off to spite your face. The amount of time spent at the cap will dwarf the time spent getting there is you stick with the game. New players and low spenders will catch up faster this way. If you make 150 crystals a day, and can do 3 refreshes at 50 instead of 2, and a cantina every other day let me tell you. It's nice, and you couldn't care less if Wally Whale in first place who you were never going to have a chance against gets to 85 a bit before you do.

And I don't plan on spending 450 per day. Right now I do my 50/50 per day, and save the rest of the crystals for buying gear. I need another cantina character I can't afford to gear up like I need a hole in my head. There is nowhere to spend the extra crystals that gives any value except to hoard it to buy overpriced gear. This makes a LITTLE difference as I said, but we don't need massive changes until we get a new level cap.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    +1

Well written, and a very sound argument.
  • Silky
    522 posts Member
    Options
    +1111111111111
    SHATTERPOINT - One of the world's strongest guilds
    Recruiting solid 3mil+ GP players, pm for info