Has mod farming actually gotten any better with 100% drops?

I farmed mods during the double drops and 3 full days of 3x refreshes.

I've gotten one double speed (12 speed diamond, 4 dot which the vast majority of cantina drops are left side anyway) and two < 5 speed. It seems the gap was filled with 3 dot - 5 dot white mods which essentially makes it no better than before unless you are starting out. The only plus is a few more credits from selling them at a major loss of cantina toon shards.

Crystals used to refresh cantina 900 last 3 days, I think about 1,400 during the double drops for 2,500 crystals.

It seems like the change in the challenges, on the surface seem like it's more but in reality it's a net zero gain.

It's not a complaint but I don't see any advantage from what it was before, mainly using crystals for mod shop refreshes and cantina for toon shards.

Replies

• lisztophobia
    808 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    I reckon it's excellent value for anybody who stands to benefit from putting a +5 speed secondary in every mod slot. Mod farming has gotten a lot better for people who haven't yet reached that plateau.

After they reach it... then meh. The chance to get more than +5 speed on mod challenge loot is really poor. Probably time to go to the mod shop, and just farm character shards from Cantina nodes.
  • yea it is.
    the good mods, gold, purple or even blue ones, kinda same drop rate.
    the grey ones you can find some useful (crit damage/chance triangle or speed arrow or potency multiplexer) even bit more (since its the filler of what didnt drop)
    and the rest you can sell.
    so you can sell more useless mods and get a bit more not-so-useless mods with good primary for raid teams.

i love it, i dont understand anybody who hate it for some reason.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    It's much better. Wether it's actually good is a matter of preferences.
  • Vallik
    163 posts Member
    Ive gotten multiple 140+ offence mods one with 5 speed

2x 14 speed secondaries and finally got another speed primary soeed set arrow (3in fact)

Im gonna say i was lucky but yea its gotten better

Also sold 4 mill worth of mods today

And ive done maybe 8 refills since 100% drops came in hadnt refilled cantina for months before that
  • Platzman
    284 posts Member
    I do not need to refresh mod shop & spend millions of credits to get a few chances per week for 10+ speed mod. So I see the effect mostly on my credits - they rise.
  • Platzman
    284 posts Member
    I do not need to refresh mod shop & spend millions of credits to get a few chances per week for 10+ speed mod. So I see the effect mostly on my credits - they rise.
  • SpadeFreeman
    868 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    It's gotten so much better to mod teams. Pretty much every toon that I use has had an increase in speed.

Edit to clarify: Most of them have only gained a few +5 or +4 speed mods, but getting up to 20 extra speed on some of them has been a big help so far.
    Post edited by SpadeFreeman on
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Well, it's comparable with having 3 lottery tickets instead of just 1. Chances are still low you win, but 3 times as high as they were before.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Not to me.

8000+ Cantina energy later and I still don't have a 10+ speed mod
  • It's better in the sense of getting more mods that you can sell, sure. But let's be honest; what everyone wants is speed. And that hasn't improved at all. During the double drop event I spent tons of crystals farming mods, and even pulled 5 5* arrow mods in one run. In all the mods I pulled in those days, not a single one had a primary speed on it, and no other mod had better than +5 speed secondary. So while the drop rate of mods is 100%, the drop rate of good ones still remains depressingly low.
  • Yes, it's actually made mod farming more enjoyable and brought back the customization aspect I really enjoy with optimising sets and secondaries on my characters. The latter job was much harder, more frustrating and far less rewarding without the 100% drop rate. Many characters are able to get by in most game modes without double-digit speed secondaries too.
    .GG Profile | Got spaces on my ally list.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    Well, it's comparable with having 3 lottery tickets instead of just 1. Chances are still low you win, but 3 times as high as they were before.

This is a good analogy. Your chances of hitting a gold or purple with speed secondaries that go to +13 or higher are still incredibly weak - but you have more RNG "rolls" to get one.

Kinda like - you get $1 million dollars if you can hit a home run off a major league pitcher. Would you have a better chance with 5 pitches or 30? Odds aren't good either way, but with 10, at least your chances to get lucky increase.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Isaah
    56 posts Member
    Well, the purpose of mods were to customize characters. That didn't happen as the value of speed trumps everything else. True customization won't happen until they change flat speed to percentage of base speed
  • Tiggus
    766 posts Member
    I think @sneeekypants is right. When they bumped the drop rate to 100%, I emptied my inventory (by placing/selling all my mods). After doing countless mod challenges, I have like 90% white mods. Maybe I was very unlucky, but I'm more inclined to think the mod rate was brought to 100% by adding 66% of 5* white mods to whatever it was.
    Now sure, that's still a giant improvement for most players, just not those who look for crazy secondary stats.
    ☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/
  • Since it's been 100%, I have yet to get a double digit speed secondary. I've had one gold with speed drop, speed didn't increase. 6 or 7 mods total have dropped with speed secondaries, all green other than that one gold and maybe a purple.
    Yesterday, 31 sims on the offense challenge pulled 30 grey and 1 green.
    I have been able to get some ok crit chance mods on my clones though.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »

This is a good analogy. Your chances of hitting a gold or purple with speed secondaries that go to +13 or higher are still incredibly weak - but you have more RNG "rolls" to get one.

Kinda like - you get $1 million dollars if you can hit a home run off a major league pitcher. Would you have a better chance with 5 pitches or 30? Odds aren't good either way, but with 10, at least your chances to get lucky increase.

Only if you get more colored mod drops, which my initial feeling is you don't. They just increased the white mod drop rate to fill in the "no drop" probability so say 10% colored, 25% white became 10% colored, 90% white.

As some pointed out, it is better in those lacking mods but no better for those looking for higher end arena mods.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Only if you get more colored mod drops, which my initial feeling is you don't. They just increased the white mod drop rate to fill in the "no drop" probability so say 10% colored, 25% white became 10% colored, 90% white.

As some pointed out, it is better in those lacking mods but no better for those looking for higher end arena mods.

I don't know about all that. I noticed a rather large increase in the ingame chat msg's that someone has aquired a rare mod. This could also be due to my guildies and myself spending more energy on mod challenges though.
    One thing is for sure, i farmed probably well over 1500 mods before the increased droprate and my best speed mods were mostly bought from the mod store (still only 15+ max). So for the next 1500, while in a much shorter time span, i don't expect better results.
    Save water, drink champagne!