6 star ship challenges

So I've been playing the game a long, long time. Pretty much since within a few months of launch. And I do things my own way, for sure; must be one of the few players who didn't chase the whole Wiggs meta. And I accept that parts of the game are just hard; to this day I still can't quite manage to beat Light Side hard 9B with three stars, and I don't clear GW every day. Fine with that.

But for the life of me I can't figure out what the hell is going on with the Ackbar and Mace 6 star ship challenge. So you need 5 or 6 (depending one which) five star ships to enter. How in the world does ANYONE think that you can beat those with just the minimum? No way. I took in 6 ships in the Mace challenge. Two are 6 star, 1 7, and 3 are five. All have level 85, gear 10+ 7 star pilots. Mace himself is completely maxed out in every way. And it's a solid squad of Republic ships, with JC, Rex, Fives, Ashoka, and Plo Koon in the opening set, with the clone sarge, Bistan and Vader for reinforcements (though Bistan and Vader aren't quite as powerful just yet).

Didn't make a dent. Barely killed 3 of the ships before getting wiped out by the repeated reinforcements. Tried repeatedly, all day; no soap. Never did better than killing four ships, and in some cases didn't even do that.

Ditto the Ackbar mission.

So I don't get it. I get it's supposed to be a challenge, but it seems like it's severely out of whack. What gives? What does it really take to beat this? I see a few 6 star Mace or Ackbar ships out there, but even with teams of all 7 star fighters I still see a LOT of 5 star capital ships. So what's the deal? Is it broken?

Replies

• Options
    One thing, you can only use light side ships on these challenges. So you didn't have Vader.
    Did you have another ship, or one less than what you're saying?

Btw, I also can't beat Mace's challenge but I'm only using 5 ships, and they seem to be nowhere near as strong as your's.
  • Options
    Ah, yes, that's right; I was using Biggs instead for that. Vader is on my arena team.

I guess I just don't see how anyone could win with just the minimum five star ships. I know other players in my guild who are better off even than me (all seven star fighters) and they can't win either. Just seems pointlessly hard.
  • Options
    I have 6* endurance, been a while but I think the key was having a powered up endurance, gear 10 or 11 windu, and a couple 6* ships. The minimum requirements are misleading.

I havent won ackbars challenge yet but my home one isnt very strong
  • Nerfburger73
    153 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I beat the Tarkin ship challenge for six stars fairly easy since Tarkin is my capital ship, and for some reason I auto'd the mace challenge and beat it easily... But I can't make a dent in the Akbar challenge with a full squad of 6 & 7 star ships.
  • Options
    Problem is the Slave 1, tie Advanced, and FOTP are so good it's a problem not having them -- Slave and TA especially since they can keep Biggs alive indefinitely.

Mace and Plo can taunt around your teams -- but that requires you to actually get a turn someone early -- and I don't seem to get a chance until it's too late.

Anyways, I know I'm behind in ships -- it's a fight to just get in the top 200, LOL. But since all I really need this moment is to work on SA I'm taking this Lull in zeta needs to work on them... I'll let you know if I get through!
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Options
    It's been a LOOONG while since I 6* ed all three so please don't ask me for details, but all I know is that these are the only challenges in the game worthy of the name. They are extremely difficult and should only be barely doable. Don't expect to win Mace or Ackbar without at least restarting a couple of dozen times for godly RNG.
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • t0neg0d
    616 posts Member
    Options
    Don't expect to win Mace or Ackbar without at least restarting a couple of dozen times for godly RNG.

This is the key... and usually is for any challenge you struggle with. I'd also like to add that "a couple dozen times" is being extremely generous.

• Treadhead2017
    516 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'll just have to keep trying. Mace is my arena leader and I've had his ship maxed long since. I wish Rex's ship was more stars but he's so incredibly rare to find that it'll be months. Ramping up Biggs and his ship to help, but the enemy team throws so much damage so fast! Just seems like they kinda missed the mark on these...they shouldn't be THAT hard.

I wonder if they realize that the updates to Tarkin have made that challenge virtually impossoble. I mean, it was hard before. But now, with his recent buffs, it's unbeatable.
    Post edited by Treadhead2017 on
  • Options
    I wonder if they realize that the updates to Tarkin have made that challenge virtually impossoble. I mean, it was hard before. But now, with his recent buffs, it's unbeatable.

Oh I didn't even think about that. Tarkin used to be the easy one of the three but now his finishing move DOES finish you. :/
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • Options
    If they are unlocking the challenge with minimum requirements being 5 ships at 5* it should be beatable with 5 ships at 5* and with any combination, having 7 at 7* and not being able to win, that is not a challenge it's frustrating