Sadistic Glee's evasion chance

TruffleJones
61 posts Member
edited February 2016
Ok let's be real here. When this buff came to him last update, it was completely unnecessary. Sid was already a very strong character and on every team. He's been FOTM since the game came out. I am all for pros and cons for characters, and certain people countering other certain people. But it's getting out of hand. Sid has "high natural dodge" and when being attacked by Jedi adds another 35%.

As I stated above, I have no problem when characters have clear and defined characteristics that provide counter play or any form of tactical play. If you see Sidious, you're not going to use your Jedi's special abilities usually. That's great, you have to choose, "Hmmm is the risk worth the reward?" What I do not agree with is a 35% evasion chance vs a whole faction entirely. 10-15% would've been a healthy number. With a 35% evasion chance, coupled on top of his natural dodge, Sid's dodge rating vs Jedi is about 50%. He's essentially nullifying any damage done to him by Jedi by 50%.

As for the people who are inevitably going to comment on this saying "He evaded the jedi for a long time he deserves that buff". I will just say this. Why does he have theme to his character, but Asajj and Ahsoka are 2 of the slowest characters in the game, when in the series they are 2 of the quickest and most agile fighters there are? If we want to go with thematic designs to characters, all lightsaber users should deflect blasters, stormtroopers and other variations alongside droids should miss 90% of their shots as well. So please don't go down the route of "It's thematic to his character"

Please look at this from a new player's perspective. Let's say a new player starts and his dream team is jedi, he LOVES his jedi! He sees Eeth Koth is available from arena shipments, while he may not like Eeth as a character, he wants to stay thematic and start purchasing those shipments. Some time passes and he unlocks Eeth and he's ecstatic because now he's got 2 jedi on his team and coming closer to his team of jedi. He decides to spend $40 dollars because he's enjoying this game and he gets the Mace Windu starter pack and adds him to his team.
Time goes by and he unlocks Cantina battles! Oh boy! There's QGJ and Ahsoka to farm?! So after some debate, he chooses and starts farming his QGJ because he is more familiar with that character than Ahsoka. Even though the grind is slow from cantina, he finally unlocks his QGJ and gets another star on his Eeth, by this time he's also unlocked GW! There's only one jedi in GW shipments, so he goes for Luminara. Now he's got a good jedi team for being a newer player and he's starting to get into the higher rankings of arena. To his dismay, he notices he has trouble dealing with Darth Sidious, he decides to do some research and finds out that Sidious has a 35% dodge chance vs jedi characters. "What the hell?!" he says, "No wonder I can never hit him". That's not going to stop him, he still wants his Jedi team, he continues to farm the team.
As each day passes, more and more people acquire Sidious through arena shipments. Now every team in arena and GW he faces has Sidious on it. Arena isn't so bad, because he can focus the other 4 quickly and then usually beat Sidious, because even with a high dodge vs jedi, he's not going to dodge every single attack and 1v3. GW on the other hand is a nightmare. He tries to focus Sid first so that healing immunity doesn't get spread around the team. Sidious dodges the killing blow, gets healed up, has applied healing immunity to 2 people, and the team kills off one of his team. He retreats to try again, he tries killing another person on the team first, he successfully kills them but his team has 2-3 people with Healing immunity on them at this point, he watches helplessly as he can't heal with JC or Lumi because of the healing immunity on his QGJ. Frustrated with GW, he gives up and will try again tomorrow, just to find the same teams of Sidious, Luminara, Phasma, etc waiting to bend him over and spank his light side bottom. Now all of a sudden, EA has a very disgruntled customer, albeit only $40 spent isn't too much, it could be a lot to him.
This could be a 12 year old, or a 30 year old. He grudgingly has to change his plans of his team. He can't reliably kill a Sid in time before the healing immunity gets applied or someone dies. So he takes out 2-3 of his jedi for some non-jedi. All of that time he spent focusing on his dream team is flushed away, because now he's having to start farming a new team altogether just to deal with one problem character.

I've been playing since the first day of launch. Having only spent about 25 dollars on the game. I have for the most part gone my own way and only adapted when necessary, I regularly finish top 3 in my server and even held 1st for 2 weeks straight using Luminar, Fives, Finn, Hoth Rebel Scout, and Stormtrooper Han. I eventually got better characters. I have changed my Cantina farm choice 5 times and arena 4 times because I wasn't very educated on the subject of farming efficiently. I remember the day this buff came to the game. It made an already popular and strong character even stronger, albeit against only certain characters. It was a very unhealthy buff to anyone using jedi, and it also deters people from farming too many jedi.

I thought this was an appropriate time to re-address this issue because of Yoda launching soon. Even the Sidious advocates in my group I play with agreed this was a completely unnecessary buff to Sidious. It made him just even better, which isn't a bad thing. But making a character better, has to be balanced and healthy. There are 5 anti-jedi characters I can think of:

• Count Dooku: The ability block and stun of jedi - you can counter this by stunning Dooku or bursting him down really quick
  • Darth Vader: ability blocks vs jedi - you can counter this by stunning as well
  • Darth Maul: Obliterates any jedi foolish enough to leave him alive - counter this by killing him quickly
  • HK-47: Applies multiple debuffs to jedi - countered by ability blocking or stunning him prior to his turn
  • IG-100 Magnaguard: Turn meter removal of jedi - countered easily considered he's not too strong of a character
  • Cad Bane: Stun vs Jedi and turn meter gain - Same as Magnaguard

Now, ready your pitchforks! Because I've probably made a lot of you Sid sympathizers angry or something because I'm showing a flaw in the design of a character. I just don't think a potential 50% dodge chance is healthy to the game. Again, looking at this from a newer player's perspective. I honestly think the dodge chance should be reduced to about 10% but add a 20% turn meter gain on dodge. I think that would be much more healthy to the game balance than a huge dodge chance vs one faction.
Post edited by TruffleJones on

Replies

• Options
    If you finish top 3 I really do not see why the long rant. I very rarely lose because of a Sid evasion of a Lumi Force Push or wherever Jedi attack. Sid has low health & with a offense buff or expose he is a one shot target. He is fine where he is with dodge. I am no sympathizer either as I replaced him using Kylo instead.
    Maul's zero threat - Slow & take him out before he even moves.
    Vader is typically 4*s
    HK47 sucks
    IG100 - really? I've never seen anyone use him.
    Bane- sucks.

Jedis heal & there is your advantage
  • Options
    Son nobody in the top 50 still uses sid in my server stop complaining, Poe was the real problem.
  • Options
    I only read the first few characters then stopped at that wall of text, so forgive me if you already stated this somewhere, but Sidious' dodge chance is not 50% against Jedi.
    So if Glory 's stats are accurate that brings the total for today up to 146 dodges in 398 attacks by Jedi.

That's 36.7%

That means he has a base dodge % of 1.7% and his additional 35% chance against Jedi.

Source: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/5817/sidious-and-his-crazy-dodge-rating/p1
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Options
    I only read the first few characters then stopped at that wall of text, so forgive me if you already stated this somewhere, but Sidious' dodge chance is not 50% against Jedi.
    So if Glory 's stats are accurate that brings the total for today up to 146 dodges in 398 attacks by Jedi.

That's 36.7%

That means he has a base dodge % of 1.7% and his additional 35% chance against Jedi.

Source: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/5817/sidious-and-his-crazy-dodge-rating/p1

This is one person's sample size. If I still ran full jedi I would also keep tally haha. I'm just speaking off of past experiences. If you couple Dooku or Lumi lead with Sidious. He could push 43-50% dodge potentially
  • Options
    Yeah I've never seen 50% over a day of dodges. I'm 1st to call **** on Dev's claims AI does not have an ability land % edge as their Dooku will double attack / ability block / stun by far higher rates than my superior leveled one & their Daka resurrects / stuns way more than mine could dream of but Sid never dodges 50% of my Jedi attacks. I primarily use Lumi as Jedi in arena
  • cosmicturtle333
    5004 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    So, first of all I'll say that I despise Sidious. I have no idea why he was buffed as he was probably the most used hero in the game at the time and still is. With the current updates his DOT will be able to kill as well and he also gains a hefty life steal on his AOE. So two mini buffs for him there as well.

So I'm not a Sid Sympathizer at all. He is the bane of my existence in Arena and GW.

Now, as far as people making mistakes farming the wrong hero that is entirely their fault.

How many of us leveled up Chewie to a high level only to find out how useless he is?

I've leveled up heroes like Ahsoka and the Nightsisters who are incredibly weak, and have held me back from going further in Arena. That is entirely my fault.

If I play Pokémon and I like the bug type so I invest all of my time and energy into them at level 10 so I can get six bug type pokemon. Then I level them up as I go along. At level 30 I don't complain because a flying type wrecks me, that's my bad decision to invest in only the bug type. So what do I do? I go and catch some new, more varied Pokémon so I can have more variety in my roster to counter any situation.

Qui Gon Jinn probably just made Jedi the new meta now. His speed leadership skill makes Jedi far stronger than any sith now. So like I said a long time ago, the Sith vs Jedi see-saw has swung to the other side, and it will swing back later too.

If you don't believe the Sidious dodge rating stats feel free to test them. I'd love to add some data to the sample size.

• Options
    I just started playing my alt more so I'll keep tabs on the dodges there.

I appreciate the Pokemon sentiment. While, that is true, it's not so much true as GoH. It's much, much harder to get a new character and to gear and level to be of fighting status.

Yeah speed bonuses are bugged right now, I ran my Ackbar lead with my rebels and they were outspeeding Poe and Dooku
  • Options

That's 36.7%

This is one person's sample size. If I still ran full jedi I would also keep tally haha. I'm just speaking off of past experiences. If you couple Dooku or Lumi lead with Sidious. He could push 43-50% dodge potentially
    In regard to the bolded - it's not really fair to argue both sides. You try to discount turtle's quote based on stats (i.e. actually tracked) to counter your anecdotal evidence. Which, if you're like me and the rest of the human race is likely tainted with confirmation bias, especially if it "hurt" you.

I run Sid - and dropped 40 ranks in Arena after the patch - likely in part because of the QGJ exploit, but still. I wish he was as good as you seem to think he is ;) Especially against other level 70 toons.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • TruffleJones
    61 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't think he's good late game at all. But then again I run only Luminara. I just don't think it's a healthy number for his dodge potential vs jedi. xD

I am looking at this from a new player's standpoint about wanting a jedi team etc etc
  • Options
    @TruffleJones
    I'm in a server shard that has reached level 70, I've been playing since November.
    Here's my top 200:
    Phasma 78 (39%)
    Sidious 61 (30.5%)
    Luminara 33 (16.5%)
    HK47 7 (3.5%)
    Bariss 7 (3.5%)
    Qui Gon Jinn 3 (1.5%)
    Ackbar 2 (1%)
    Dooku 2
    Ahsoka 2
    Poggle 1 (0.5%)
    Finn 1
    Poe 1
    Old Ben 1
    Asajj 1

So there is one other person with Ahsoka and one with Asajj, I just never see them because they are too far above and below me.

Phasma, Sidious and Luminara - 86%
    Everyone else - 14%

That's rather depressing

Copied from another thread.

Sidious is one of the, if not the most used hero in the entire game. Due to the bug fix of Phasma's leader ability he will probably be the most used leader in the game (until QGJ speed lead teams become cookie cutter).

He has one of the best leader abilities available for high DPS heroes. He is extremely good at end game.