This is Getting Old

Mojavelandbaron
977 posts Member
edited June 2017
Please put your dinosaur of a profanity filter out of it's misery already in guild chat. Can't even talk about how to blow up the explosive crates in the Flash Event without it starring it out. It gets absurdly ridiculous when you can't even carry on a normal, NON-profanity laced conversation without your sentences getting butchered. A ton of us have been complaining about this forever now. You're worried about how people in an adult-only chatroom MIGHT use "blow", but you shove drag queens in childrens' faces in your Disney movies! Have you lost your minds??

Replies

• Options
    I agree.

If you try to talk normally, some words get starred out even if there is nothing wrong with them.

On the other side if someone wants to curse they can easily enough by replacing certain characters with something similar.
  • Options
    I tried to type "documenting" and it censored out the middle lol
  • Globuhl
    751 posts Member
    Options
    What's even worse is that non english speaking people seem to have both english and native filters enabled... For instance, I can't type the "classement" french word which means ranking and has absolutely no double or hidden meaning, it's displayed as "clas*****t"...
  • Options
    Agreed OP!

Reason #36 to not use in-game chat...
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • Options
    Globuhl wrote: »
    What's even worse is that non english speaking people seem to have both english and native filters enabled... For instance, I can't type the "classement" french word which means ranking and has absolutely no double or hidden meaning, it's displayed as "clas*****t"...

lol, that's a good one.
    +1 it's realy dumb
  • Twin
    527 posts Member
    Options
    Agree the filter is a bit odd.... @$$ works though... but at one point not assist, which was pretty common in the wiggs meta.

Though you know what else I find funny... complaints about censorship and then complaining Disney didn't censor something they find offensive. Yes I know the OP references the over aggressiveness more than the actual act, but the comparison is still there and valid imo.
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    Options
    Globuhl wrote: »

lol, that's a good one.
    +1 it's realy dumb
    +1 agreed! This was my morning chuckle lol
  • Options
    you cant even say the name of boba's ship in game. utterly ridiculous.
  • Options
    you cant even say the name of boba's ship in game. utterly ridiculous.
    woah careful, that's borderline lewd.
  • Nev
    88 posts Member
    Options
    Kids accounts don't even get access to guild chat so I'm not sure who they are protecting.
  • Options
    deadeye wrote: »
    I tried to type "documenting" and it censored out the middle lol

Yes. Equally absurd when the chat filter is so clumsy that it can't distinguish between a stand alone word and a group of letters that are part of a bigger word. Again, even in the 1990's when I first used chatrooms, I never ran into any chat platform as dysfunctional as this. Whoever designed this particular platform had better not start a wheel and tire company, because they're liable to reinvent the wheel into a square.
  • Mojavelandbaron
    977 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Twin wrote: »
    Agree the filter is a bit odd.... @$$ works though... but at one point not assist, which was pretty common in the wiggs meta.

Though you know what else I find funny... complaints about censorship and then complaining Disney didn't censor something they find offensive. Yes I know the OP references the over aggressiveness more than the actual act, but the comparison is still there and valid imo.

My point is that they have no trouble targeting children with things that the silent majority (despite what the gov media complex brainwashes people to believe) legitimately considers deviant, yet have a problem with such miniscule things in chatrooms where minors aren't allowed anyway. Huge irony there :smile:

Either put controls that allow the user to adjust the filter strength in a range from "Off" to "Strong", which shouldn't be hard since Yahoo Chat had this back in the 90's, or get rid of it all together. I love this game and take my hat off to them on the majority of things they've done to keep this game fun and vibrant. Kudos for that! But the squeemishness of the chat filter sticks out like a sore thumb. Please, please...take it out back and put it out of its misery.
  • Options
    (Accident duplicate response)
  • MattNewton
    13 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I couldn't agree on this more. The chat filter is so horrible we constantly joke about it in the guild chat. Please, do us all a favor and let us select whether we want it filtered. I'm an adult and I'd rather decide this myself. Tie it to age if you insist on continuing to use this pile of crap coding you call a chat filter. Laughable at best EA.
  • Options
    Again, I can safely say that it is a well established fact that 99% of the players (if not ALL of them) consider this chat filter a dog with fleas. Please. Pretty please with pink, purple poka dotted sugar sprinkles on top: Put it out of its misery.
  • Options
    Please put your dinosaur of a profanity filter out of it's misery already in guild chat. Can't even talk about how to blow up the explosive crates in the Flash Event without it starring it out. It gets absurdly ridiculous when you can't even carry on a normal, NON-profanity laced conversation without your sentences getting butchered. A ton of us have been complaining about this forever now. You're worried about how people in an adult-only chatroom MIGHT use "blow", but you shove drag queens in childrens' faces in your Disney movies! Have you lost your minds??

Hahaha too good man and great point with the drag queen ****!!!!