In all likelihood, Thrawn will not be viable

13Next

Replies

• BSwoody87 wrote: »
    Boreas wrote: »
    REM wrote: »
    Why does everyone think that Thrawn will have a "legendary" event? Like Grand Master Yoda, Emperor Palpatine and R2-D2? Thrawn cannot be compared to those iconic characters in the SW universe. That would be an insult to them. Possibly Thrawn will have a Marquee event with a bonus tier available only for Phoenix, to upgrade him to 4* maybe. And I definitely agree with the OP, I don't think that he'll be viable at all, just another, not so bad, but not effective against Chaze character.

Because the developers already confirmed it'd be a legendary event a few days ago in the update thread.
    BSwoody87 wrote: »
    Why does everyone think that Thrawn will have a "legendary" event? Like Grand Master Yoda, Emperor Palpatine and R2-D2? Thrawn cannot be compared to those iconic characters in the SW universe. That would be an insult to them. Possibly Thrawn will have a Marquee event with a bonus tier available only for Phoenix, to upgrade him to 4* maybe. And I definitely agree with the OP, I don't think that he'll be viable at all, just another, not so bad, but not effective against Chaze character.

I thought it was announced it was a legendary event?

Yeah guys, I just heard it also, but still I do think that it's not proper to compare him to those iconic characters, the shame is on devs.

Thrawn is iconic to a lot of Star Wars fans. His book trilogy is fantastic and he's one of the most cunning villains in Star Wars lore (and I don't care what Disney decided is canon).

The majority of fans I can guaruntee have never heard of him.

If you haven't heard of him you are not a Star Wars fan.
    No, little gatekeeper. You don't get to tell anyone how to be a fan.
  • SoloWindu wrote: »
    If it wasn't for Zahn and particularly Thrawn, we probably wouldn't have SWGOH.

Why I hear you asking. Well Star Wars was meh in the late 80s and was plodding along just like Star Trek was. The books and Thrawn in the early 90s, rekindled Star Wars and thus we got the special editions and then the prequels and yada yada.

So when I hear people say that Thrawn isn't up there with the classics or fans haven't heared of Thrawn, I laugh and shake my head.

Put it this way, how many legends as per Disney classification of EU characters,have made the jump over to now Canon? Must be a reason as to why.
    Dude just stop. This level of fanboyism is actually not okay.

What's fanboism of what I said? Were you around in the 80s? Did you not see the impact the books had on Star Wars?

You seem upset about Thrawn. What's up, did you want Jar Jar instead? You sound like the type.
  • BSwoody87 wrote: »

Because the developers already confirmed it'd be a legendary event a few days ago in the update thread.

Yeah guys, I just heard it also, but still I do think that it's not proper to compare him to those iconic characters, the shame is on devs.

Thrawn is iconic to a lot of Star Wars fans. His book trilogy is fantastic and he's one of the most cunning villains in Star Wars lore (and I don't care what Disney decided is canon).

And yet you get to tell people they're fanboys because you don't like what they write?
  • As far as thrawn not being a fan favorite, well I saw his name mentioned a lot, so I picked up the book. 50 pages in and he's already surpassed Vader as my favorite villain. For actual fans, not just movie goers, he is hands down deserving of the title fan favorite. Read a darn book people.
  • ddlooping2
    1046 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Dang, another Thrawn thread that turned into a "What is a fan? Is he a fan favorite" one. :/
    SoloWindu wrote: »

Why I hear you asking. Well Star Wars was meh in the late 80s and was plodding along just like Star Trek was. The books and Thrawn in the early 90s, rekindled Star Wars and thus we got the special editions and then the prequels and yada yada.

So when I hear people say that Thrawn isn't up there with the classics or fans haven't heared of Thrawn, I laugh and shake my head.

Put it this way, how many legends as per Disney classification of EU characters,have made the jump over to now Canon? Must be a reason as to why.

What's fanboism of what I said? Were you around in the 80s? Did you not see the impact the books had on Star Wars?
    Hey, unless you have the raw statistics and data specifically showing Thrawn invigorated the entirety of the SW, then you're just speculating.

What's that? You don't have it? You're speaking out of your rear end?

Yes, I know.
    You seem upset about Thrawn. What's up, did you want Jar Jar instead? You sound like the type.
    More like amused how disconnected you are from reality.

And yet you get to tell people they're fanboys because you don't like what they write?
    Uh what? You don't get to use my post against me, because simply put, the SW fan who only saw the movies and never heard of (what's his name again? Starts with T) is equally as much of a fan as you. Because you decided to chop 1/4 your life away or fall in love with a fictional character does not make you any more or any less than the fan who saw 1 or 2 movies and fell in love with Han Solo.

So lemme' repeat -- you're not the gatekeeper. You don't get to tell any SW fan how to be a fan because you went your own route. You're neither above or below them.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Can you "fans" just stop debating what it means to be a "fan"? this thread is about whether or not thrawn will be viable.
    OT: I tend to agree with the OP, it's not looking good for thrawn from what little information we've recieved. I'm still going to try to get him at as many stars as possible though, you never know ;)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Boreas
    508 posts Member

SW franchise was on the verge of completely dying by the 90s, even with all the books and comics and etc in the 80s. What saved it was not Zahn or Thrawn, it was Dark Forces II - Jedi Knight FPS game. With its popularity, it showed that SW franchise could still be profitable. Then other games followed, with the development in computer technology and the popularity of SW games drove Lucas to make the prequels. So if there's a character that saved the franchise, it was Kyle Katarn, along with Jan Ors. Ever heard of her? Well, they turned her into Jyn Erso. You may be Thrawn fan, it's ok, but you need to accept that not everyone has to a fan of him. And a protagonist of a side story (and there are numerous of them) cannot be comparable to other iconic characters like Yoda, Palapatine or R2-D2 in the SW universe. That's a fact.
  • Boreas wrote: »

SW franchise was on the verge of completely dying by the 90s, even with all the books and comics and etc in the 80s. What saved it was not Zahn or Thrawn, it was Dark Forces II - Jedi Knight FPS game. With its popularity, it showed that SW franchise could still be profitable. Then other games followed, with the development in computer technology and the popularity of SW games drove Lucas to make the prequels. So if there's a character that saved the franchise, it was Kyle Katarn, along with Jan Ors. Ever heard of her? Well, they turned her into Jyn Erso. You may be Thrawn fan, it's ok, but you need to accept that not everyone has to a fan of him. And a protagonist of a side story (and there are numerous of them) cannot be comparable to other iconic characters like Yoda, Palapatine or R2-D2 in the SW universe. That's a fact.

Hey, I'm not saying you have to be a fan of any character but you've been dismissive of him being a fans favourite by basically claiming no ones heard of him.

I love dark forces and I think Kyle was a great character, but he didn't start the revolution, Zahn did.

Uh what? You don't get to use my post against me, because simply put, the SW fan who only saw the movies and never heard of (what's his name again? Starts with T) is equally as much of a fan as you. Because you decided to chop 1/4 your life away or fall in love with a fictional character does not make you any more or any less than the fan who saw 1 or 2 movies and fell in love with Han Solo.

So lemme' repeat -- you're not the gatekeeper. You don't get to tell any SW fan how to be a fan because you went your own route. You're neither above or below them.

Lol, when you grow up mate you will realise it does no good getting upset on a forum.

Bet Ezra is your idol eh? Full of angst.
  • Kevern_Zaksor
    894 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    leef wrote: »
    Can you "fans" just stop debating what it means to be a "fan"? this thread is about whether or not thrawn will be viable.
    OT: I tend to agree with the OP, it's not looking good for thrawn from what little information we've recieved. I'm still going to try to get him at as many stars as possible though, you never know ;)

@leef once again, the voice of reason! I share your perspective. I'm F2P and if I can get him at 5* I'll be happy.

What they've said about his kit does concern me somewhat though. He's an empire cleanser who cleanses... himself and one other empire toon? Um... Okay. And he grants other empire toons the ability to cleanse themselves? Again, okay... What does that mean? Is it a passive thing that happens when they use a basic or special move? Or do you have to forego using one of said toon's abilities to use a different ability which he has granted them? He manipulates TM... Again- wonderful- but that could range anywhere from useless to meh to game changing.
    (Edit: since he only cleanses Empire he could be great with zKylo, leaving his debuffs for moar damage)

Obviously there's a lot of potential with his kit, but giving us such little time with such little info really leaves a sour taste in my mouth, bolstered by the PS requirement. Double drops for a few days doesn't wash away that taste.

Also, off topic, I'd like to say authoritatively with the power vested in me by no one, that if you don't know who 8T-88 is you are not a true Star Wars fan. May God have mercy on your soul. Go play a video game. Gosh
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu

Lol, when you grow up mate you will realise it does no good getting upset on a forum.

Is this the best you could come up with? Looks like we're done here.

Is this the best you could come up with? Looks like we're done here.

Yep. Flawless victory :smile:
  • Boreas
    508 posts Member

Hey, I'm not saying you have to be a fan of any character but you've been dismissive of him being a fans favourite by basically claiming no ones heard of him.

I love dark forces and I think Kyle was a great character, but he didn't start the revolution, Zahn did.

I have never said he was unheard of, all I'm saying is his place cannot be as important or high as the other legendary event characters. As I stated above, without them (Yoda, Palpatine, R2) there wouldn't be SW, but without Thrawn or any other side story character, SW would still be SW.

Not Iconic? are you kidding He almost destroyed the new republic after the second death star and death of the emperor if not for a backstab by his bodyguard, he was the emperor closesed ally next to vader, if you compare him to some droid who can hack some stuff and THE ONLY alien GRAND admiral EVER who single handedly whooped luke han and leia with his superior thinking and the whole new republic, he deserves that legendary event.
    Not enough? look at rebels, he killed the bendu, he whipped the rebels, he is such a badass you dont even know, if you consider thrawn bad you are not a star wars fan

Grand Master Yoda, Emperor Palpatine, and R2-D2, look for their place in the SW universe, think about their absence, then think about Thrawn's place, and his absence... you'll reach the answer...

If Thrawn was abscent the jedis would have reached the Yu Savang and they would have destroyed the plans of palpatine and the republic completly, yoda would die in one of the first battles, and everything would be lost
    Thrawn is WAYYYY more important
  • Boreas
    508 posts Member

Not Iconic? are you kidding He almost destroyed the new republic after the second death star and death of the emperor if not for a backstab by his bodyguard, he was the emperor closesed ally next to vader, if you compare him to some droid who can hack some stuff and THE ONLY alien GRAND admiral EVER who single handedly whooped luke han and leia with his superior thinking and the whole new republic, he deserves that legendary event.
    Not enough? look at rebels, he killed the bendu, he whipped the rebels, he is such a badass you dont even know, if you consider thrawn bad you are not a star wars fan

Grand Master Yoda, Emperor Palpatine, and R2-D2, look for their place in the SW universe, think about their absence, then think about Thrawn's place, and his absence... you'll reach the answer...

If Thrawn was abscent the jedis would have reached the Yu Savang and they would have destroyed the plans of palpatine and the republic completly, yoda would die in one of the first battles, and everything would be lost

Are you aware that Disney threw away all the things you mention that you think Thrawn did? (let's not even discuss about the hypothetical part). The Thrawn you'll have now never did any of of those, he is just a blue alien struggling to capture some rebels, but he is doomed to fail, because he is no match for Disney's ultimate Jedi warrior Ezra.

Are you aware that Disney threw away all the things you mention that you think Thrawn did? (let's not even discuss about the hypothetical part). The Thrawn you'll have now never did any of of those, he is just a blue alien struggling to capture some rebels, but he is doomed to fail, because he is no match for Disney's ultimate Jedi warrior Ezra.

Touché

He perfectly calculated every single move the rebels would do, destroyed their fleet into shatters and killed the bendu

He perfectly calculated every single move the rebels would do, destroyed their fleet into shatters and killed the bendu
    Yeah and he's totally going to beat Erza.
  • Boreas
    508 posts Member

WOW, I'm sorry, I never knew that, you're right, he is even more important than Yoda or Palpatine. He really is the protagonist of the SW saga :P
  • Dyakoff
    284 posts Member
    Thrawn trilogy is greatly overrated in both literal value and canon logic.

But without thrawn star wars wouldn't even be a thing!
    He's only not iconic if you your Star Wars interest stops at the movies.
  • Worst thread ever.
    SnakesOnAPlane
This discussion has been closed.