The content we need--squad practice arena

Although there are many different facets to be game, the one mode that the game truly revolves around is arena. It is largest source of a player's crystals, it's the closest mode to allowing us to play against other players, and it's easily one of the most fun game modes. Any discussion of a new character release or rework on the forums usually revolves around the character's arena strengths. For example, after Tarkin got reworked, very few players said that he was OP because he is capable of causing over 50% damage to the rancor in a single move; rather, most of the discussion centered around him being underwhelming because he is not very good in arena.

Most players are hungry for content, and I think that the best way to fight this hunger is to give us a squad practice arena mode. This mode would allow us to choose to fight against real arena teams of a similar arena rank to us pulled from across different shards (kind of similar to how they choose matchups in the tournaments). We then get to pick our team and battle them with NO cost to play and NO rewards for winning or losing. This is important because it allows the players to spend as much time as he or she wants to in order to hone their strategies or just simply waste time. It's similar to how people will play a game like Battlefield One online: you get to play as long or as little as you want to at no cost, while earning very little to no rewards towards player progression.

I think this will be good for the player base for the following reasons:
1. Will give players an endless amount of content to enjoy with no gating.
2. Should lead to a more diverse meta in arena. Since you get nothing for winning or losing, people will be more inclined to test out different characters who they otherwise wouldn't throw into their arena team. People will take note of how well their characters do and they may find a way to insert a previously underrapreciated character into their arena lineup. Also, since potential matchups are pulled from across different shards, you'll be able to fight against other teams that you aren't seeing in your arena shard. Many people will see how well these teams do, and so they will start to farm them.
3. Will help the players figure out strategies towards beating difficult teams on offense.

I think this will be good for EA/CG because:
1. It will lead to a happier player base. A happier player base is more inclined to spend money on the game, and more importantly they're more inclined to invite their friends to play the game

Any thoughts?

Replies

• Although there are many different facets to be game, the one mode that the game truly revolves around is arena. It is largest source of a player's crystals, it's the closest mode to allowing us to play against other players, and it's easily one of the most fun game modes. Any discussion of a new character release or rework on the forums usually revolves around the character's arena strengths. For example, after Tarkin got reworked, very few players said that he was OP because he is capable of causing over 50% damage to the rancor in a single move; rather, most of the discussion centered around him being underwhelming because he is not very good in arena.

Most players are hungry for content, and I think that the best way to fight this hunger is to give us a squad practice arena mode. This mode would allow us to choose to fight against real arena teams of a similar arena rank to us pulled from across different shards (kind of similar to how they choose matchups in the tournaments). We then get to pick our team and battle them with NO cost to play and NO rewards for winning or losing. This is important because it allows the players to spend as much time as he or she wants to in order to hone their strategies or just simply waste time. It's similar to how people will play a game like Battlefield One online: you get to play as long or as little as you want to at no cost, while earning very little to no rewards towards player progression.

2. Should lead to a more diverse meta in arena. Since you get nothing for winning or losing, people will be more inclined to test out different characters who they otherwise wouldn't throw into their arena team. People will take note of how well their characters do and they may find a way to insert a previously underrapreciated character into their arena lineup. Also, since potential matchups are pulled from across different shards, you'll be able to fight against other teams that you aren't seeing in your arena shard. Many people will see how well these teams do, and so they will start to farm them.
    3. Will help the players figure out strategies towards beating difficult teams on offense.

1. It will lead to a happier player base. A happier player base is more inclined to spend money on the game, and more importantly they're more inclined to invite their friends to play the game

Any thoughts?

One word: Splendid
  • Iyaoyas
    120 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Two words: Must have
  • jejuzang
    710 posts Member
    Although there are many different facets to be game, the one mode that the game truly revolves around is arena. It is largest source of a player's crystals, it's the closest mode to allowing us to play against other players, and it's easily one of the most fun game modes. Any discussion of a new character release or rework on the forums usually revolves around the character's arena strengths. For example, after Tarkin got reworked, very few players said that he was OP because he is capable of causing over 50% damage to the rancor in a single move; rather, most of the discussion centered around him being underwhelming because he is not very good in arena.

Any thoughts?

Retreat option in GW does what you are talking about. The only downfall is that they are random teams. But it will allow you to see how the first few turns will go and often tells me which teams work in certain situations.

But being able to pick an enemy team and set their gear, level, mods and practice fighting them sounds great too. And while they are at it, add practice raids too!

Retreat is also viable in raids as well...the retreat via the settings in the top left does not use one of your attempts.
  • jejuzang wrote: »

Any thoughts?

Retreat option in GW does what you are talking about. The only downfall is that they are random teams. But it will allow you to see how the first few turns will go and often tells me which teams work in certain situations.

But being able to pick an enemy team and set their gear, level, mods and practice fighting them sounds great too. And while they are at it, add practice raids too!

Retreat is also viable in raids as well...the retreat via the settings in the top left does not use one of your attempts.

That's true for theory crafting. But when I just want to open a game up to play a couple battles after finishing galactic war, I have to play force arena instead. This would make the player fan-base so much happier. I want it.