Explain what "enough time to farm for Thrawn" means please

Prev13
warmonkey
1314 posts Member
I am f2p and get top five in arena everyday. I am 20 shards short of 5 star kanaan today. I don't have enough time by the 15th when Thrawn comes for anything close to 6 star.

So how is this enough time to farm them? Unless paying cash is now considered farming?

Replies

• SnakesOnAPlane
    4363 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    For those who are able to pay, they have enough time to farm Phoenix to 5-7*. Some F2P may be able to get to 5* or further. That's what it means. Pretty cut and dry.
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    enough for others, maybe not enough for you. It's all relative.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • slamaMC
    139 posts Member
    Thrawn unlocks at 5 star, so you are all set.
  • Expecting every latest shiny toon to be available to max on release as an ftp seems somewhat naive and unrealistic ... more so for toons that are part of a prestige event.
  • Top 5 , f2p? You know how to farm, stop it, really. Its 5* or pay or wait. Simple.
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    I didn't get Yoda or EP to 7* first time around. Same same
  • For those who are able to pay, they have enough time to farm Phoenix to 5-7*. Some F2P may be able to get to 5* or further. That's what it means. Pretty cut and dry.

To be fair, even for whales this is a pain in the butt. I'll 7* no problem, but the gear is another matter. I'm straddling gear 7-9 on Phoenix right now waiting for carbantis and holo projectors to appear in shipments, and refreshing shipments for gear is where I draw the line.

I know they did this to force panic buying, it's standard practice for CG, but the time/RNG needed for essential gear to rotate into shipments makes this a tough prospect for 5 days.
  • slamaMC
    139 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    If you saved coins in the shops then 6 star is very possible.

• Palanthian wrote: »
    For those who are able to pay, they have enough time to farm Phoenix to 5-7*. Some F2P may be able to get to 5* or further. That's what it means. Pretty cut and dry.

To be fair, even for whales this is a pain in the butt. I'll 7* no problem, but the gear is another matter. I'm straddling gear 7-9 on Phoenix right now waiting for carbantis and holo projectors to appear in shipments, and refreshing shipments for gear is where I draw the line.

I know they did this to force panic buying, it's standard practice for CG, but the time/RNG needed for essential gear to rotate into shipments makes this a tough prospect for 5 days.

But we've had the toons 3* for a while, coulda been already geared. Of course no one did, cept me ;p
  • warmonkey
    1314 posts Member
    edited June 2017

So if Thrawn is a chaze killer and I just finally got chaze into my arena team a couple weeks ago after spending many months farming and gearing them then I have no chance in arena vs my competition. If I can't get top five I can't get enough crystals to do anything. If I can't do anything to compete then I have no reason to play.

I want to play this game but only thing keeping me here is social aspect and being able to compete in arena. I can't compete in raids being f2p vs whales and we don't set up silly guild rules that help me and hurt our whales ranks there. My ship shard is full of whales so will never compete there and GW is a joke. I only can play arena and if I am shut ouy of top five becauae the whales can't be moved anymore with a chaze killer then what is left? A new game mode in the future that is also for whales it appears?
  • warmonkey
    1314 posts Member
    Btw I had already geared mine to either g7 or g8 when they were released anticipating they would be needed for something eventually before event started so I thought I would be ready.
  • Kriesha
    113 posts Member
    A month. Thats about what I would need to 7 star, level up (my credit balance is pretty poor) and gear up 5 phoenix characters. With the time we have, I am probably going to get them to 5* and maybe gear 7, not sure I can get 5 to 6* in the time allocated.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    warmonkey wrote: »

So if Thrawn is a chaze killer and I just finally got chaze into my arena team a couple weeks ago after spending many months farming and gearing them then I have no chance in arena vs my competition. If I can't get top five I can't get enough crystals to do anything. If I can't do anything to compete then I have no reason to play.

I want to play this game but only thing keeping me here is social aspect and being able to compete in arena. I can't compete in raids being f2p vs whales and we don't set up silly guild rules that help me and hurt our whales ranks there. My ship shard is full of whales so will never compete there and GW is a joke. I only can play arena and if I am shut ouy of top five becauae the whales can't be moved anymore with a chaze killer then what is left? A new game mode in the future that is also for whales it appears?

you're assuming a 7* thrawn on defence will be unbeatable without thrawn, or with only a 5* thrawn?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Unfortunately for some it involves math, enough time is looking at where you are, the resources you have available and the event time.

No one needs to be ready on the 15th, it runs for 7 days. So what you have on the 21st is what you get.

I have enough store currency to get the 3 in store to 7* in 8 more days. So I have enough time and that's my deadline for enough time to farm...

Now I have to evaluate the other 2 in cantina, I got hera up to 19/100 on double drops and I am now working ezra up to 6* at 78/85. I am not sure where they will end up so I had to look at my saved resources.

I have enough saved currency to get 12k shard shop currency on top of my 6k already there. Not enough to get Sabine.

So I have to work on getting hera and Ezra to within 90 shards of complete in 8 days. That is how I measure how much time I have. I do not plan on spending crystals at all on shards, but may need to for gear.
  • warmonkey
    1314 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

you're assuming a 7* thrawn on defence will be unbeatable without thrawn, or with only a 5* thrawn?

I'm saying the mods on my competition are so much better than mine that I may not be able to get a turn vs them.
  • warmonkey wrote: »

Sorry, but games like this aren't intended for F2P to be at the top of anything. F2P is just get people into the game....they want to force people to eventually spend money. If someone never ever spends any money, then you think they care if that person stops playing? This is a business....they are in it to make money....not provide a free service.
  • Business model, payers can pay for the best 7*, and no payers can make an effort for a 5*. If you want 7* throw some money, that simple. It's a company behind the game, never forget that.
  • Cm3Po
    234 posts Member
    It's not too big of a deal. A 5* thrawn will do just fine. So you can't use him in the raids, big deal. He will be back within the next 6 months and you can 7* him then. It'll take you 2 months just to gear him up anyways.
  • Antares
    686 posts Member
    Well, I bought the packs back in March for each character, because I naively thought Phoenix would turn out to be the new Meta. With that, however, I most likely have enough now to farm all of them (except Sabine) up to 7* by the last day of the event. I just hope it really will last for a week...!

Think about it this way: Everyone who payed, has a good chance to get Thrawn at 7*. F2P have to wait half a year. It's basically the same as with any other character.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

I'm saying the mods on my competition are so much better than mine that I may not be able to get a turn vs them.

So you'll have a problem regardless of you having enough time to get a 7* thrawn of your own. I actually have the same problem, my mods are also far inferior. Rex is/was a lifesaver. I'm a bit more optimistic though, i'm sure i'll get atleast 1 hit in ^_^
  • I'm f2p 1st on my shard everyday, I spent 2k on double drops but I won't be even close to 7 stars 5 char for the event, for those who wonder how long do I play, it's way more than 6 month. and that's sad. give us at least 1 more week.
  • Eh, doesn't look like Thrawn will be fun for me with his complex abilities, high gearing cost amount, need for toons I love (but are meaningless in GoH) and no concrete data yet about how he does in game. I could unlock him at five stars if I push my current plans aside and spend a little monies and get my phoenix up for it. But, I have other teams to gear atm and the debut was so lukewarm I have no need to bother. Geez, I sound like a depressed donkey. Time to roll out!
  • I should have my Phoenix team at 7* in a couple of days -- the question is would I be able to survive the event if I have only 3 toons at XI by then? Due to gear bottleneck, even assuming I buy a good deal of it outright, I'm trying to see if I can make it by having Sabine, Ezra and Hera maxed and Zeb and Kanan at "functional" (e.g. 85/IX/so-so mods).

Hopefully that's enough. I have Chopper at 7* but I'm really not that keen on wasting gear or ability mats on him if I don't have to.
  • If you have Sabine, forget chopper, he is on almost everyone lineup due the difficult to get Sabine lol.
  • Cloud24
    206 posts Member
    im F2P and STOP crying and whining seriously not everything is meant to be obtained from the start. Your little rant thread with all of the others rant thread do nothing so go outside get fresh hair forget thrawn and live a happy life
  • AnnerDoon
    1353 posts Member
    Palanthian wrote: »

To be fair, even for whales this is a pain in the butt.

<snip>

... refreshing shipments for gear is where I draw the line.

A real whale would just refresh shipments and buy the gear. Just sayin'.
  • Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh *tears*
  • Strubz
    429 posts Member
    I have this gut feeling that the Thrawn event is going to be delayed at the last minute. Think about it, the devs cause this ridiculous rush for everyone to try and at least 5 star Phoenix squad. People who don't typically spend money are more likely to toss in a couple bucks to put them over the top. Meanwhile, the whales are dropping more cash to get their Phoenix to 7 star.

Then 12 hours before the Thrawn event goes LIVE, we'll get an announcement saying "in order to give everyone more time to gear Phoenix squad, we have pushed the Thrawn event back 7 days, also here is another $20 pack that gives you 10 shards for everyone. We hope this has thoroughly enraged all of you. Go f--- frolic yourselves in a meadow, Sincerely EA."

God every time I think about the marketing/sales team for this game, I picture the South Park episode "Informative Murder P---" where the cable company employees are just rubbing their ni... upper chest papilla.
  • warmonkey
    1314 posts Member
    Cloud24 wrote: »
    im F2P and STOP crying and whining seriously not everything is meant to be obtained from the start. Your little rant thread with all of the others rant thread do nothing so go outside get fresh hair forget thrawn and live a happy life

No one is crying. I stated facts.
  • Gollre
    18 posts Member
    The thing that bothers me about this, other than hating the show and Phoenix squad being included in this gamen is that it is very different from the ep event (not sure about yoda since I joined after it had already happened the first time). For ep had I farmed rebels ftp from the beginning I could have 7* him from the beginning like I did with r2. Because of the ep event, and mod challenges I decided to farm 5 7* of every group with at least 5 ftp in case events like this happened. I only have 2 left, Phoenix and Imperial Troopers. If troopers were needed I wouldn't post. I had my chance to finish farming them, but started spending extra shop currency for Nihilus. Ftp was never given a chance to focus on Phoenix in case they were needed (and I would hav. I'm fine with releases where it's strictly buy packs to get the character or wait (Nihilus, Ahsoka, whoever) but these legendary events until now have catered to anyone with blank faction. Say I'm whining or whatever, but I think it's a valid complaint. Not every toon should be ftp right away, but not every toon requires 5 others to get.