How would you define "winning" at this game (based on your own milestones)

Prev1
I'm genuinely curious. In what way would you consider yourself successful at this game?

They could include the following:

- Getting top ranking

- Being able to field a creative/unique team in a competitive way

- Working with guildmates to beat difficult raids

- Being a completionist/having as many maxed out great toons as possible

Etc.

I see a lot of things on the forums ... questions about toons, squads, nerf threads, salty commentary about events/lack of gameplay, people helping others etc. But it makes me wonder what people see as having a truly enjoyable/successful experience in the game.

Replies

• Having fun and slowly building squads up, even if they're low star/gear. Guilds are also a very fun social aspect I enjoy :)
  • - Working with guildmates to beat difficult raids

I'll go with this. Coordinating for weeks or months within a group of people to beat a big challenge is fun and rewarding and for once you really have a goal instead of just .. farming stuff.
    New content is always exciting. Cooperating to achieve a shared goal is so much better than trying to get or keep the best damage numbers.
    Sadly we just got the last content half a year ago and nothing's happening. We're on a lame wait.

Getting top ranking is a nice goal but once you've done it, you've done it. And arena isn't about the best teams, it's about locking people out at payout times and hammering refresh buttons.
    I'm a huge "completionist"! But on swgoh that's a whale thing. pay 30k $ to max your roster or don't even bother - no thanks then.
  • kodias
    264 posts Member
    I would say finishing first in both arena's and consistently top 3 in heroic raids would be considered winning in my books. Haat is the culmination of all your hard work and farming and is the highest level content that we have. If you can excel in Haat in a guild that has it on farm then there isn't really much else you need to work towards in this game. Besides of course farming up every character, most of which you will likely never play with.
  • Terand
    33 posts Member
    For me, the goals that I set for myself are:
    - Try to maintain top 50 in arena (I run droids and cut myself some slack for it since I often drop 30 ranks overnight)
    - 'Catch up' with guild mates to be effective in raids; help my guild to progress to HAAT
    - Get the 'legendary' characters like Palpatine, etc.

I think my biggest milestones/sense of accomplishment in this game have been:
    - Getting Yoda and Palpatine
    - In our guild raids, going from 40th to 25th to 15th to 10th to 2nd as I leveled and improved my characters (though now with our attempted switch to heroic raids my roster is once again too small!)
    - Figuring out how to beat some of the harder arena/GW teams. Chaze and Maul teams are devilishly hard for my droids team but by working at it I've at least been able to figure out some of the best ways to tackle them. It's always a great feeling to beat a near-impossible GW node with several teams and careful tactics.
  • * Competing regularly in Arena Top 20
    * Completing HAAT in a timely manner
    * Completing the majority of GW's on a daily basis
    * Completing all Light & Dark Side Battles
    * Ships...........notsomuch
  • Osisiv
    172 posts Member
    I'm genuinely curious. In what way would you consider yourself successful at this game?

- Getting top ranking

You bring up excellent points in what is causing boredom currently in this game.

- Getting top ranking- There's no defense in arena. An account with 5 G11 characters can easily take top ranking from an account with 70 G11 characters. It's meaningless, even for quite a few F2P accounts.

- Being able to field a creative/unique team in a competitive way- This would be great if possible in arena--BUT again there's no defense. New comps only draw attention and an invitation to fall down the rankings. Raids are much better however.

- Working with guildmates to beat difficult raids- This would be fun, however raids are old and boring now. And there's a HUGE problem with the way guild members are pitted against each other in raids.

- Being a completionist/having as many maxed out great toons as possible- There aren't that many "great" toons. I sincerely wish having a huge roster would mean something, but it all boils down to a few toons.

I'd like to see the above points become things one can achieve as they are real reasons people play the game. Would like to see more toons become viable and serve a purpose. Maybe change 5v5 into 6v6? That would increase complexity and also allow "weaker" toons to be more viable. I don't have an easy answer but whatever it is, CG does need to make each toon have more value.
  • VinnyG
    119 posts Member
    By having fun. If it's not fun what's the point?
  • Rapid
    421 posts Member
    Osisiv wrote: »

- Getting top ranking

- Being a completionist/having as many maxed out great toons as possible- There aren't that many "great" toons. I sincerely wish having a huge roster would mean something, but it all boils down to a few toons.

I'd have to disagree there. having a huge roster means you're better placed to react to meta changing reworks. for example, those that already had maul and sith around. a few guys in my shard got the zeta up and running early and enjoyed months of top 5 payout. As an FTP player I didn't have a full sith team and I've never been able to get there fast enough.

anyway, a really good OP because I guess it's different for everyone. 2 things for me. I'm naturally competitive so for me it's split between arena and raids.

1. I'm F2P and have held top 20 for about 4 months. About 25% of that time top 10. Considering some of the whales knocking about I'd say that's pretty successful. I take great satisfaction in being able to beat many many people that spend a fortune on this game. Essentially I have to use my brain rather than brawn. Furthermore GK has started showing up all over my shard. Despite this I'm still holding my own and my guild is way off.

2. Winning my guild raids. I get the whole collaboration thing but to me guild mates are also competitors in a friendly way. winning raids gives you more gear. if I didn't win raids, I wouldn't gear my arena team. then I wouldn't get crystals. there's the circle.

I help my guild mates all the time with advice and help them get stronger but I stop short of telling them exactly how to beat me! because those that spend the money would beat me if they had my understanding of the game.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Can't really "win" in this game.
    I do enjoy completing everything there is to complete as effecient as possible. That's about it. (i dislike the arena fight achievement with a passion lol)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef wrote: »
    I do enjoy completing everything there is to complete as effecient as possible. That's about it. (i dislike the arena fight achievement with a passion lol)

Lol yes, hence I put "winning" in quotes. It's just interesting to see what drives people (and often that's a good source of info about expectations)
  • Cridiron
    158 posts Member
    For me, as a F2P, I want to be able to contribute a couple million damage to the HAAT. I think I have the squads, just lacking a little gear. I think the strategy has eluded me a little as well.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    It's mostly beating my own personal bests, from important stuff like arena and fleet standing, raid damage and maxing out heroes, to silly little goals I've set for fun - getting all the stars in Light/Dark/Cantina, and scoring the highest damage value I can get with Vader's Culling Blade in the Strength gear challenge by setting him up just perfectly (357k!)
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

Lol yes, hence I put "winning" in quotes. It's just interesting to see what drives people (and often that's a good source of info about expectations)

yea sorry, wasn't worth mentioning.
    truth be told, in the beginning i used to consider getting top ranks winning. Later on it became just a means to an end, doing everything as efficient as possible, especially events. I think i've completed all of them thusfar aswell as all the other game modes, except for #1 in fleet and tournaments. strangely enough that doesn't bother me nor am i interrested in getting #1 in fleet (obviously can't anymore in tournaments).
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    Creating a team that can hold on top arena and finish most battles without losing protection.
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    Competing in top 5 (rather win or lose) with a squad I like and enjoy using.

Currently im #winning.
  • for me it's about having fun. i do that by working on the toons i genuily enjoy from the star wars universe. my favorite area is the game is the light, dark, and cantina battle nodes. i never sim them. i hate arena and ships and pay little attention to either.
  • Have fun playing with guild, use my f2p units to beat those thousands dollars teams, priceless.
    Some things money can't buy, for everything else there is MasterCard.
  • If it defeats boredom, then I win. I spend nothing but time.
  • Morpheus
    279 posts Member
    Getting 20+ speed secondary mods... So far i'm losing badly
  • Riffinator
    2586 posts Member
    giphy.gif
    "ARE WE BLIND? DEPLOY THE GARRISON."
  • Any
    428 posts Member
    F2P here too.

Rank1 both Arena and Fleet is daily goal.

Arena have a bit issue as new comer out of shard mate is a risk but for about 2 month got rank1 everyday.

Fleet about 1 month rank1 nearly everyday. Just 1 day forgot to start earlier and lost to Tarkin ship 2 times so got only rank2.

• It is a collection game, winning is only achieved when everything is at max.

Visa and MasterCard I have heard are great at winning.
  • It is a collection game, winning is only achieved when everything is at max. That would be when I consider I have won, because with that, you can also win at everything else possible in the game.

Visa and MasterCard I have heard are great at winning.

Discover card too.
  • If your not first, your last.
  • For me, I find success in this game by simply understanding how to win battles. I may not always win, but I know when I can expect to win, expect to lose, or know that I may have to make the correct moves in the correct order in order to win. That's success. I'm f2p. I'll never have enough gear or high end mods. I'll always be a little behind the meta (unless I'm lucky) because of that. But, I know that THAT is the only reason why I lose. All things being equal, I could beat anyone. I can enjoy this game because I accept that.
  • Byakuya
    392 posts Member
    Clone helmets
  • TyGonJinn27
    381 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    I'm on a very mature/old squad. At first it was all about arena and completing galactic war. As time went by I started viewing 'winning' as being in a fun guild, and demolishing Heroic tank.

Currently I have personal achievements that strive for. My objective is to be able to complete GW with just specified factions. I have an 86 collection score, and can beat GW with 5 factions. Any sense of 'winning' is artficial and player made.

I wish they'd hurry up and release GvG, or a game mode that requires you to beat different stages with specific factions. Make it only achievable by having close to maxed out toons. It gives you something to permanently work towards, and rewards players for dedicating the time and resources to beat them.

Right now the game doesn't have much that unites guilds. Once you're able to beat both Heroic raids, the guild basically becomes a direct competition among each member. We need the GvG aspect to reward players in the guild equal rewards. It'll allow us to works towards a common goal instead of battling it out for the top spot in raids.

Just my thoughts.
  • I would define winning as holding a good team for every faction with possibly Zeta leaders so that any event that comes your way you can beat without a problem, 7* g9+ teams for each faction should be enough and if not you can always upgrade a faction specific to the event when the event comes
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    Being able to run a full Jedi squad in arena (no GK yet).
    Doing my 2% on HAAT.

Also I consider successful not to follow the META fashion. No Chaze and I don't plan to get them. Don't plan to get Thrawn this time even if I like Empire too. I've got an underdeveloped R2 and Ahsoka even if I consider R2 would help to gain some ranks in arena.
  • Chewie_says_Aaarww
    753 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    @WompWompRat, cool post! Something different indeed :)

For a long time, my goal was to get a average #1 on swgoh.gg without spending money in my dec'15 shard without Chaze. It was cool when I finally made it. Now I saved quite a few crystals I don't feel like a F2P anymore.

The older the shard, the easier this is. Almost everyone has the same meta toons and is able to beat each on on offence.
    Post edited by Chewie_says_Aaarww on
    SWGOH.gg profile - Our guild, 3720 to 1, has 1 spot open! [49/50].