For the Good of the Game: 3 Changes I'd Like + Other Ideas

Prev13
Palanthian
1262 posts Member
Proposed 3 Changes:

I'm sick of Rex being the answer to everything. A year old character that's still the meta leader. The most boring meta leader of the most boring team the game's ever had, Triple Cleanse (my opinion):

https://swgoh.gg/meta-report/#squads

When 85% of the #1 teams in the game (as above) run the same team, something is just plain wrong. It's meant to be "rock, paper, scissors", not "rock, paper, scissors and REX".

Request #1: Nerf Rex's lead to affect clones ONLY.

Tenacity Up is a big problem and, combined with cleanse on Rex and Chirrut in just one ability, it wipes out the majority of dark side compositions. Potency Up gives you a 50% extra chance to apply a debuff, Tenacity Up gives you a 100% chance to resist one. How can that be right? Tenacity Down still leaves a base 15% chance to resist.

Request #2: Nerf Tenacity Up for 50% extra chance to resist ONLY, with a base 15% chance to apply.

Thirdly, so many more teams would be viable on defence if the AI made smarter decisions. When I see R2 stealthing everyone except Nihilus, or Nihilus using annihiliate on a red-health Rex with full-health Chirrut and Baze standing right next to him, I have to wonder why the AI is so very bad.

In 1997, IBM's Deep Blue beat Kasparov, the world chess champion, after a 6 game match:

http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/ibm100/us/en/icons/deepblue/

Surely, 20 years on, SWGOH could field an AI capable of using abilities - and selecting targets - in a more intelligent way.

Request #3: Buff the AI to play a smarter game and challenge players.

I haven't talked to anyone playing the game right now who finds the current meta interesting. People are crying out for new game modes and content, but I still believe the existing content could be given new life if some balancing took place. For the good of the game, I hope something happens soon.

Other Ideas:

Other changes which could shake up the game for the better:
  • Reinforcements for squads, similar to how they work in ships, complementing deeper rosters
  • Character or faction exclusions in arena, changed every week - but only if mod templates could be saved, named and made switchable easily
  • Random global arena buffs, changed every week - like "extra 20% Jedi offence" one week, "extra 20% clones speed" another week, etc.
  • Defence log, defence log, defence log, defence log, defence log, how many times...?
  • Replays that can be shared in-guild - it's a turn-based game, how much data is that to save...?
  • Duel you guild-mates, 5 duels per day, rewarded with ally points (or nothing, whatever)

These are my ideas, feel free to comment or add your own. The game needs something, I don't necessarily think a new game mode or yet more characters will be enough.

Replies

• Morpheus
    279 posts Member
    Options
    You forgot carbantinis
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    read: i'm tired of losing on def vs inferior teams.
    No judgement, just calling it what it is.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    +1
  • Palanthian
    1262 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »

I can understand why you would think that, but you're 100% wrong.

Have a look below and tell me if you see a player with a losing problem:

https://swgoh.gg/u/palanthian/

When I said for the good of the game, I meant for the good of the game. I'm winning, I'm #1 when I need to be, but I'm still bored - and I'm not alone in this.
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    Options
    Palanthian wrote: »

When I said for the good of the game, I meant for the good of the game. I'm winning, I'm #1 when I need to be, but I'm still bored - and I'm not alone in this.

Congrats, you are using the same boring team you are complaining about.

Also @leef said you are losing to inferior teams on defense, not offense.
  • Options
    Excellent OP. There's nothing good about arena right now. Nothing holds on defense, everything wins on offense. No incentive to build your roster. Rex is a plague.
  • Options
    Nope best thing to do is change arena payout. At least let us pick out payout hour to a time that fits our lifestyle. Biggest improvement they can do with nothing else even close.
  • StarSon
    7437 posts Member
    Options
    Mullato wrote: »

Of course he's using the team he's complaining about. It's what you do if you want to stay top 5. Of all the current comps, it holds best on defense.

As for OP, +1. Though not sure how I feel about changing Tenacity Up.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

Well i don't see a player who's tired of using a meta team, that's for sure.
    Regardless of your intentions or you having or not having a losing problem, the proposed changes will be beneficial for players with a strong team and good mods, not so much for the others.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • nskowyra
    144 posts Member
    Options
    As a ftp, long live king rex
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    Options
    StarSon wrote: »

Of course he's using the team he's complaining about. It's what you do if you want to stay top 5. Of all the current comps, it holds best on defense.

No it doesnt, nothing holds on defense.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options

So if your team actually won all the time on defense because the AI made better decisions how does that make the game not boring? Just curious. I agree the meta is boring but with everyone beating everyone you actually have to do battles daily to get back to that number 1 spot.
  • Options
    Nope best thing to do is change arena payout. At least let us pick out payout hour to a time that fits our lifestyle. Biggest improvement they can do with nothing else even close.

Sure, this is a quality of life improvement and I'd guess most would welcome it. But it does nothing to help the overall health of the game.
  • Mastoraz
    156 posts Member
    Options
    Agree on all points except the changing faction global buffs per week. But yeah the rest, absolutely, game needs much much attention in its actual CONTENT, but devs just focus on pouring more and more characters, which is not the answer to the boredom this game has become.
  • Options
    Wanna have a look at how many of those teams use DN?
  • StarSon
    7437 posts Member
    Options

Didn't say it holds on defense, period. It holds "best" on defense. Especially on my shard, triple cleanse teams move the least, because there are easier teams to fight.
  • Options
    scuba wrote: »

So if your team actually won all the time on defense because the AI made better decisions how does that make the game not boring? Just curious. I agree the meta is boring but with everyone beating everyone you actually have to do battles daily to get back to that number 1 spot.

IMO a healthy arena would lead to teams with stronger mods, higher starred characters and better gear levels having a higher chance of holding on defense. I don't think any team should hold 100% of the time, but that %hold should be higher based on how much you've progressed and collected in the game.

Also, and I don't think it can be argued, a wider number of usable arena toons, not just the 20 or so toons that are currently recycled through the ranks (clearly that will never happen though.)
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    Options

Didn't say it holds on defense, period. It holds "best" on defense. Especially on my shard, triple cleanse teams move the least, because there are easier teams to fight.

I dont see how something can hold "the best" when everyone can beat everyone. DN made this possible because that toon is an easy button for offense.

Maybe you have a weak shard, and not everyone can win on offense.
  • Options

Annihilate was one of the worst things to happen to this game.
  • StarSon
    7437 posts Member
    Options

I dont see how something can hold "the best" when everyone can beat everyone. DN made this possible because that toon is an easy button for offense.

Maybe you have a weak shard, and not everyone can win on offense.

Well, without a defense log (see OP) it's hard to say. But they move the least. Either they are harder to beat for the teams on my shard, or people avoid them to beat other teams that are "easier" to beat. Most of the time whether or not you win is RNG anyway.
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    Options
    LemurLepke wrote: »

+1
  • Morpheus
    279 posts Member
    Options

Chaze led to annihilate. Devs just didnt account for the cunning players putting both together, hence Thrawn with a strict empire only bonus.
  • StarSon
    7437 posts Member
    Options

Technically, in that case, the way they handle nerfs is the worst thing to happen to this game, because that's why we got Annihilate. If they had balanced (nerfed) Chaze, Annihilate probably would never have happened. But rather than do that (because of how poorly it was received in the past), they've given in to power creep.

Rather than revisit and balance characters all the time, they simply make new powerful characters, or rework old characters to be more powerful. Eventually it will probably balance out, but maybe not.
  • Skrotez
    71 posts Member
    Options
    I'd like to see bonus's to teams for using all the same faction. Something like (just spit balling here):

5x Clones - 25% Crit Damage
    5x Rebels - 25% Tenacity
    5x Empire - 25% Potency
    5x Droids - 25% Crit Avoidance
    ETC

Adds some incentive to use faction groups and could make them viable.
  • Options
    Rex is my only way to beat zaul and triple cleansers (I don't use triple cleanser team), so no thanks.

Wiggs is doing a strong comeback on my shard: wiggs/ chaze/ r2 combo. That's a meta I really hate.
    Hated wiggs in the past and hate it now.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options
    +1. I switched from Rex because I got bored of it and everyone figured out triple cleanse.

@VikingSith Hello there!!!!!!!! :smiley:
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options

IMO a healthy arena would lead to teams with stronger mods, higher starred characters and better gear levels having a higher chance of holding on defense. I don't think any team should hold 100% of the time, but that %hold should be higher based on how much you've progressed and collected in the game.

Also, and I don't think it can be argued, a wider number of usable arena toons, not just the 20 or so toons that are currently recycled through the ranks (clearly that will never happen though.)
    I don't disagree at all. However the holding on defense is what forces the leaderboards into a meta which becomes a stale leaderboard.
  • Options
    Skrotez wrote: »
    I'd like to see bonus's to teams for using all the same faction. Something like (just spit balling here):

5x Clones - 25% Crit Damage
    5x Rebels - 25% Tenacity
    5x Empire - 25% Potency
    5x Droids - 25% Crit Avoidance
    ETC

Adds some incentive to use faction groups and could make them viable.

This is good.
  • Options
    I would love these. Although if the AI were better against Rex teams, Rex might not even need to be nerfed.
  • Options

I don't disagree at all. However the holding on defense is what forces the leaderboards into a meta which becomes a stale leaderboard.

Yeah I hear ya. I'm just bored, spittballing, etc.

I know this game is somewhat understaffed, I just wish for more.

Also, whaddup PACO!