How about a bonus for pure squads?

Prev1
diangelo
105 posts Member
I don't know maybe it's just me but when I face a team in arena that's all Sith and then GK...my brain just doesn't like it. (I can't see why he would fight with them.)

It would be fun to face an all clone team...or an all rebel team.

I would LOVE to see some kind of bonus to encourage people to use pure squads. It would have to be a decent bonus to make people give up the DN on their Rex team. So something like +20% speed.

I think it would also encourage different teams in arena.

And i'm not saying people who wanted to couldn't run those hodge-podge teams...they totally could and some still would.

Replies

• ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    You mean.. Like a leader ability?
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    Other toons won't get a faction specific bonus from a leader ability. That's how they limit it. Otherwise Rex lead would be ten times better.
  • Boreas
    508 posts Member
    diangelo wrote: »
    I don't know maybe it's just me but when I face a team in arena that's all Sith and then GK...my brain just doesn't like it. (I can't see why he would fight with them.)

I would LOVE to see some kind of bonus to encourage people to use pure squads. It would have to be a decent bonus to make people give up the DN on their Rex team. So something like +20% speed.

I think it would also encourage different teams in arena.

And i'm not saying people who wanted to couldn't run those hodge-podge teams...they totally could and some still would.

I was saying the same a lot some time ago, the system in Places of Power event is perfect for that. If all the team members are in tune with leader's tags, the team should get High Morale (+25% bonus to all stats) if all the team is formed by characters from the same alignment (light/dark) should go neutral, no bonus, no penalty and the teams formed by characters from opposite alignments should get low morale (-25% penalty) to all stats.
  • diangelo
    105 posts Member
    like a leader bonus...but either everyone gets it...or no one does.

They do a pretty good job of keeping all the charaters abilities close to what they should be. so why not this too.

You can't tell me that in real life,* if a team of 4 Jedi teamed up with DN that those Jedi would preform as well as a team of all Jedi. They wouldn't. They would have to constantly be careful of DN to see when he would turn on them. At least some of their attention would have to be on him taking away from their ability to focus on the fight itself.

*you know what I mean.
  • STRIKEBOMB
    1232 posts Member
    +1
  • Psilosin
    163 posts Member
    I like that Arena and Cantina are wide open to choose whatever combo you can think of.

What they should do to increase diversity is track the most common overused combination and give penalties based on that. The more Meta cookie cutter you are the bigger the handicap. And conversely give a benefit to unique squads. Its the lack of diversity in squad makeup that makes things ho-hum.
  • diangelo
    105 posts Member
    That's a slippery slope...I mean under that process you could give bonus to a group and than take it away later. it would be far too fluid and frustrating.

And I don't know about you but if I worked on a team for a while and than suddenly I got a penalty just because other people started using them Id be upset. Or if I spent time farming them and then they got a penalty i'd be upset with that as well.

• Tedbeast
    218 posts Member
    While my brain doesn't like mixed groups either, every other Star Wars game doesn't allow to mix and match (or in the case of the old republic games, light and dark side characters bicker and may leave your party), so I totally see your point BUT my inner 8 year old loves having Sidious and Yoda in the same group as QuiGon and Darth Maul.
    I find your lack of faith disturbing.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Why make squad composition MORE restrictive?
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • No one on the same team as DN wouldn't have to worry about him. He'll consume them all eventually!
  • Spyda
    318 posts Member
    I don't think that there should be any kind of a penalty for a mixed team, but I do think it would be nice to get some kind of 'set bonus' if you're using a full team from one alignment above and beyond what the leader's ability would normally provide.

It wouldn't even have to be a global thing, just give it to certain characters. Like give Yoda Foresight and retribution for 1 turn any time he starts a match with 4 other Jedi.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    They are already adding more powerful faction specific leader abilities. As that trend continues it will strengthen factions more.
  • diangelo wrote: »
    Great idea. Especially the part about Rebels, since the pickings are so slim and it would probably be pretty hard to make a viable team that consists entirely of Rebels.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    Why make squad composition MORE restrictive?

For balance maybe generic teams are harder to balance and prevent
  • JacenRoe wrote: »
    They are already adding more powerful faction specific leader abilities. As that trend continues it will strengthen factions more.

The problem is generic strong leader abilitys(rex) is imposible balance a random team because all the toons are good with this teams
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    DarthSalsa wrote: »
    JacenRoe wrote: »

The problem is generic strong leader abilitys(rex) is imposible balance a random team because all the toons are good with this teams

Major eye roll. Rex lead is just decent. His cleanse/tenacity combined with multiple other cleansers is what pushed him to the top of the meta. There are MUCH harder leaders to deal with.

Major eye roll. Rex lead is just decent. His cleanse/tenacity combined with multiple other cleansers is what pushed him to the top of the meta. There are MUCH harder leaders to deal with.

But not better generic leader
    DN is a counter for cleanse but he good is rex team because you dont lose nothing he get the benefict of his leader

Rex is good without his leader but never meta
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member

His lead was only really important against the Zaul lead due to them getting advantage. It's the cleanse combined with other cleansers and multiple taunts that keeps them on top. The lead is not what makes them dominate. It's just the only decent option for a leader in that team. You can run Kenobi lead too, and it works fine.

His lead was only really important against the Zaul lead due to them getting advantage. It's the cleanse combined with other cleansers and multiple taunts that keeps them on top. The lead is not what makes them dominate. It's just the only decent option for a leader in that team. You can run Kenobi lead too, and it works fine.

Kenobi leader is bad for mixed teams.
    Rex is the only option for mixed teams and mixed teams are bad for the game
  • crzydroid
    7257 posts Moderator
    This is a "sandbox" game where you are supposed to mix and match characters. People were clamoring for an Empire/ds cleanser precisely BECAUSE lightside cleansers don't get ds synergy. So there's already enough incentive to run same-faction teams.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    The stated goal from the inset of the game was to be able to have mix teams of toons that would never stand shoulder to shoulder in "RL" and have a sandbox feel to what you do. This idea goes completely against that.

And as stated many leader abilities are faction specific meaning they are all or nothing. Put all non jedi behind QGJ is a good example. (Yes I know he still gets it)

I don't see any reason to make team composition more restrictive. And 20% speed would be a little bit much.

One compromise that could work is something like Hera leader ability, but just have a stat range, so x faction gets 5% offense for each x faction member present. But then that leader sucks in a mixed team....

Sidious and ST Han have agnostic leaderships as well, but you don't see many of those, even when Han was meta.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    The stated goal from the inset of the game was to be able to have mix teams of toons that would never stand shoulder to shoulder in "RL" and have a sandbox feel to what you do. This idea goes completely against that.

And as stated many leader abilities are faction specific meaning they are all or nothing. Put all non jedi behind QGJ is a good example. (Yes I know he still gets it)

I don't see any reason to make team composition more restrictive. And 20% speed would be a little bit much.

One compromise that could work is something like Hera leader ability, but just have a stat range, so x faction gets 5% offense for each x faction member present. But then that leader sucks in a mixed team....

I dont like the idea of penalties for mixed teams but good generic leader is not fun, i want a rework for rex ability given a zeta change the all allies to galactic republic i want to see full clones or jedi clones teams
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member

Sidious and ST Han have agnostic leaderships as well, but you don't see many of those, even when Han was meta.

I actually ran STHan lead like a year ago when I first broke into top 20 in arena, and stayed their. It was just the best option out of a hodgepodge group of meta toons.
  • i'm not totally onboard with this idea depending on how pure we are talking. a lot of the fun for me in this game is putting together teams that are or would be actual teams in the star wars universe.

for example i run sith/empire. i currently have 2 toons on my team that don't fit perfect in my puzzle to keep up in arena but i would love a team of EP vader and the rest RG's. that's not a pure squad by what your saying.

but i am with you on not mixing say all sith with a sole jedi. i just don't mix and match like that. for me it wouldn't be fun. i don't get into the strategy.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member

But not better generic leader
    DN is a counter for cleanse but he good is rex team because you dont lose nothing he get the benefict of his leader
    Rex is only crazy because he's the hard counter to the current dumb dogmatic debuff-centric meta.

A year ago Rex was a niche leader for certain teams while everyone else used Dooku or Old Ben because they were the insane generic leaders of that meta.

Metas change (slowly) and who is the crazy must-have leader changes along with it.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • I really like the idea but would prefer it as a seperate game mode. Would love to test my own pure teams against other pure teams.

You could then even add additional things like For example where pure teams can actually work towards a common goal (capturing a base for the droids for example) and as long as they hold on to this goal, there is some sort of bonus pay out?
  • CrownV87
    143 posts Member
    Haha yes in real life the 4 jedi would totally have to watch out for DN.... Hahaha
  • A. It's a game
    B. Why should people be discouraged from thinking up the best teams just because they aren't your definition of "pure"?