Thrawn will dominate the META or not?

2Next

Replies

• JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    LeoRavus wrote: »
    So Thrawn fractures Baze, who will be taunting at the start of the match.

Oops, there's GK now taunting away, regaining taunt once cleansed, and Thrawn will be slow as heck during the fracture period not doing anything. He's just gimping one character and becoming a snail.

I really don't like how Thrawn looks on paper. My gut tells me a lot of people will be sorry for throwing all that gear and credits at Phoenix for this. I hope I'm wrong.

You can't cleanse fracture... Learn to read. Also, his speed is pretty high up there, 133 to start. I don't think he will ever be a snail. As lead with Vader and Gar, Wedge and Biggs, he will lock some one down just long enough for Biggs to empty their health and move onto another.

Also Thrawn will have 100% counter chance during his slowed down time, and effectively an irresistible ability block on his basic, and you could use R2 to force your opponent to attack him. Lots of fun options there.
  • He will be one of those exclusive for p2p and addicts dominator toon.
    Meta needs to be available to everyone, like Wiggs, Maul, Vader, etc.
    1...2...3! You're dead!

• He will be one of those exclusive for p2p and addicts dominator toon.

I'm 100% F2P and I'm going to get it with 7 stars (on the last day of the event to have any emotion ;P) any one can get it with at least 5 stars
  • Diel
    109 posts Member
    He will be one of those exclusive for p2p and addicts dominator toon.

Meta is what brings top players to top spots in arena. Meta is nothing that is or has to be available for everyone. Because if everyone was Meta there could be no Meta.
  • Rapid
    421 posts Member
    BulYwif wrote: »

Oops, there's GK now taunting away, regaining taunt once cleansed, and Thrawn will be slow as heck during the fracture period not doing anything. He's just gimping one character and becoming a snail.

I really don't like how Thrawn looks on paper. My gut tells me a lot of people will be sorry for throwing all that gear and credits at Phoenix for this. I hope I'm wrong.

I think the best use of fracture against the traditional teams is to use it on either Chirrut or GK, not Baze. It'll remove a cleanser from the equation.

how do you manage that when thrawn goes first and baze is auto taunting?

• Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    Rapid wrote: »

I think the best use of fracture against the traditional teams is to use it on either Chirrut or GK, not Baze. It'll remove a cleanser from the equation.

Have DT go 1st. See all my forum posts.
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    Rapid wrote: »

Swap TM with DT if Thrawn goes first. DT launches his grenades, GK taunts, fracture GK or if DN goes before, he'll remove GK's taunt and you fracture Chirrut. DT's power.

• [/quote]

Swap TM with DT if Thrawn goes first. DT launches his grenades, GK taunts, fracture GK or if DN goes before, he'll remove GK's taunt and you fracture Chirrut. DT's power.[/quote]

I thought swap TM mean Thrawn will get all TM from target ally am i wrong?
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    aliaknife wrote: »
    I thought swap TM mean Thrawn will get all TM from target ally am i wrong?

When you do an action you already have 100% TM. So getting TM from the target ally without exchanging it is a non-sense since Thrawn already has 100% TM. Swapping is exchanging.

• Based on:
    • Livestream footage
    • Paper speculation
    • AI Offense gameplay
    • AI Defense gameplay

Thrawn will not be a dramatic meta changer. His Defense is seemingly horrible, thanks to his complex kit, which ironically, on Offense, is great. He's also Empire exclusive, not to say you can't mix match teams, but the likelihood of him finding homes to broader teams are limited like say Chaze, Rex or DN, who are all universal and can fit in anywhere.

TLDR: He's fine but nothing amazing. Which, imo, is good. We need more characters like him and Fulcrum. Very strong and situational-amazing, but not broken.
  • Mastoraz
    156 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Fine characters wont ever dethrone Chaze. So either we get extremely op characters soon, or, the devs, have to bite the bullet, admit they created a god synergy and nerf them. Not saying they not beatable, but when the majority of us use them because they just do EVERYTHING, its hard to use anything else.

But as far as Thrawn I agree with ones who say he wont be good on defense. The AI is proven to be extremely stupid, no way it will handle a complex character like Thrawn correctly. On offense, like almost any toon, will do good. In fact I expect to see him in many non empire teams too.
  • Jedi_Reach_
    1337 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Mastoraz wrote: »
    Fine characters wont ever dethrone Chaze. So either we get extremely op characters soon, or, the devs, have to bite the bullet, admit they created a god synergy and nerf them
    Bite the bullet. More broken characters = more broken game. DN was the last aspect of this madness; a Chaze counter (well, Baze counter mainly) that literally turned to the 'dark side', aka rebels, joined Chaze and Rex, and contributed further to the problem. We can see that the philosophy of broken characters is bad and continues to create additional problems instead of solving few while they still exist.
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    Thrawn is more than fine. Anybody who has been running empire is drooling over this guy. His kit is literally just what the doctor ordered. More TM for me. Less taunts to fight through. Protection regen. It's mostly what we have been asking for.
  • Dretzle
    716 posts Member
    I don't understand why I see the majority of people suggest to use Thrawn's fracture against Baze to dispel his taunt. In my opinion, this thinking is small, especially if you can include Ezra, Baze, Chopper, Nihilus, or any other number of buff cleansers. The ability of his special to cleanse buffs is a small effect of the ability to make it fully functional.

Fracture Zavage and Zavage loses defense up and can't gain TM while your characters take him out. It turns a character unbeatable for some (especially if you lose your Nihilus for some reason), to one that is helpless to defend himself.

Fracture Nihilus so that your Nihilus can bring down Annhilate's cooldown while the enemy's cannot. Especially helpful if you're fighting a Nihilus lead so Nihilus can't heal himself with his 150% health steal.

Fracture Zylo and the buff cleanse takes off his retribution so you can wake away with impunity. The buff cleanse is just a small part of that move to make the enemy you fractured helpless. It is NOT so you can just buff cleanse an auto-taunt. Use one of the many buff cleansers we already have if that's all you're going for.

And in the meantime Thrawn slows down and gains 100% counter attack and 100% tenacity? One person already mentioned R2's stealthy move. That is exactly the kind of thing this is meant for. You've made an enemy helpless while Thrawn still gets to whack away.

People jump on Thrawn for his leader ability being used stupidly on defense. If that's really the case, don't use him as leader. He barely any empire to still make him awesome. His unique gets even better with other empire teams, but not NEEDED. How about his second special where he can swap turn meter with another ally and heal 40%!! protection, not to mention cleansing debuffs. Why don't we make him use this move first to let Nihilius or another buff cleanser go first to take care of the auto-taunt, and then, since Thrawn didn't lose much turn meter, he'll soon go again to use his first special ability.

And while he's countering he's giving everyone ability block for a turn. I'm pretty sure this is kind of a way to get that ability block on for two turns. He grants them speed up to get them to their next turn quickly, speed up expires and puts on ability block for a whole 'nother turn. I'd like to see if this essentially results in two turns of that character being ability blocked (if so, it's a first), with the side effect that seems to be missed is this makes any other buffs for that character expire quicker.

So you could even use this on the auto-taunter that the opponent tried making slow. That auto-taunter now becomes fast, loses his taunt, and can't (Baze: cleanse buffs, Shoretrooper: retaunt).

But no, focus on his first special and just use it to cleanse a buff. :facepalm:
  • Olddumper wrote: »
    Thrawn is more than fine. Anybody who has been running empire is drooling over this guy. His kit is literally just what the doctor ordered. More TM for me. Less taunts to fight through. Protection regen. It's mostly what we have been asking for.
    He will put Empire back on the map but he will not be a dramatic game changer. Main reason is defense.
  • That bug where toons prioritize the new cleansing ability, need it or not will likely get squashed by the time we unlock him.
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    JacenRoe wrote: »

You can't cleanse fracture... Learn to read. Also, his speed is pretty high up there, 133 to start. I don't think he will ever be a snail. As lead with Vader and Gar, Wedge and Biggs, he will lock some one down just long enough for Biggs to empty their health and move onto another.

Also Thrawn will have 100% counter chance during his slowed down time, and effectively an irresistible ability block on his basic, and you could use R2 to force your opponent to attack him. Lots of fun options there.

In this same regard, the opposite side having an r2 could also simply stealth their team too..making thrawns counter useless.
  • Syrath
    129 posts Member
    J_Starseed wrote: »
    That bug where toons prioritize the new cleansing ability, need it or not will likely get squashed by the time we unlock him.

Who said that is a bug and where does a Dev say the behavior is being changed? There has been no indication the AI behavior is a bug that I have seen.
  • Jabba
    1033 posts Member
    He will be meta for sure and arena will be going back to whoever has the best speed mods again . Thrawn will be going around 300 speed under Tarkin . Only the op modded zauls will give it trouble. Just my opinion. Tarkin lead Thrawn Dt Dn Gk will be pretty tough. I personally going try make all Empire work for the Swag factor Starting with a Veers Thrawn snowtrooper Shoretrooper dt comp witb Tarkin Dt Thrawn Shore Vader Modded in reserves.