Thrawn Event 7* too hard - impossible to clear with reasonable gear and mods!!

Replies

• Bomroll
    399 posts Member
    The 7th tier of the Thrawn event is a joke! Impossible to clear! I mean I spend a few hundred bucks to get my pheonix team on seven stars, and now i won't be able to clear the last tier? This is an unacceptable situation! I kindly ask @CG_Kozispoon or any other mod/dev to explain me why you made that tier so super hard! ...very disappointed...

What gear are they at? You can't expect to beat something with g7 or even g8 toons.
  • Achilles
    1380 posts Member
    They added a new op char which is not easy to get on the very first day? How dare!
    Left by design.
    The fixed payout times are the worst part of this game and makes it absolutely family-unfriendly.
  • Palanthian
    1262 posts Member
    What I will say about this event is that the carbanti situation has spoiled it for many. CG gave us the minimum possible time to prepare for this event so that we would panic buy - fair enough, I accept that, they're a business and it's really nothing unusual for them.

The real issue is gear - you simply cannot buy carbantis, they have to show up in shipments, and every Phoenix character needs absolute bucket loads of them. The lack of carbantis turns this event into a shipments lottery for many, even after they have bought in and starred the characters, only to find that their gear wasn't good enough.

They provided packs for stars, but none for the carbanti wall that stands in the way of gearing Phoenix. With a pack of 10 carbantis, I would have them all at G10 already, but instead I've gone a week with no carbantis in shipments. It feels like I've gone back in time to when I was sitting there waiting for furnaces to show up.

I'm all for making people spend to compete, but when the items you need aren't even available to buy, the whole system needs a re-think.
  • I've always thought these should be harder...but as a DS user I have to admit I feel a bit peeved that Thrawn has such a high hurdle for build requirements in terms of all newer characters AND pretty tough gear reqs on those characters.....and R2 was a handout / cakewalk and he is / will be more impactful for arena given his kit and team synergy. R2 is also great in raids as well, like Thrawn.

I'll have Thrawn 7* here in a few days...but I don't understand the discrepancy in the events.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    I have Phoenix at 6* gear 8ish and I can't beat tier 6. I'm ok with that. I'll just do it next time around.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • Jonais
    68 posts Member
    Achilles wrote: »
    They added a new op char which is not easy to get on the very first day? How dare!

You mean like R2?
  • NerfHerder44
    333 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    If this is you: https://swgoh.gg/u/neogeohunter/collection/?f=phoenix

You don't even have them all at 7 stars (how are you even attempting the hardest tier?), they're not even level 85, and they're mostly gear 7 and you want to beat the hardest tier of a legendary event.

Wow.
  • pac0naut wrote: »
    I have Phoenix at 6* gear 8ish and I can't beat tier 6. I'm ok with that. I'll just do it next time around.

I did it with this ragtag crew and good RNG.

https://swgoh.gg/u/skammadix/collection/?f=phoenix

Swapped in a few mods here and there. The only toon I modded well (already swapped them back), was I put my ShT mods onto Kanan. It was really helpful.
  • Vaylin
    39 posts Member
    Hybridplug wrote: »
    I had to take all my 7* Phoenix to g9+ with full abilities (minus omega except Hera). I can't tell you how many times I tried and failed with gear 7-8.

This event is supposed to be very hard, and would not want it any other way. You will need to invest in your Phoenix more, learn how to play them and maybe have RNG on your side after multiple tries.

Just because you have Phoenix at 7* does not mean you automatically get 7* Thrawn.

This reminds me of the first 7* Yoda event in the past before it was nerfed. Enough people whined about that and it was made easier.

I very much hope that is not going to happen again.

The first time I ran tier 6 of palpatine event, I could clear it with my poor rebel group. Technically, I could have gotten all my PS to seven star, but then my gear, levels, and abilities would not be upgrade, which is why I decided to settle for a six star Thrawn instead.

This reminds of my Palpatine when I first unlock him. I used a five star Palpatine for several months. Except for not being able to use him in raids, he was really good for arena, GW, and boosted my dark side team, which at time only had Boba geared on the dark side.
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    Palanthian said it best, im frustrated bcs we were told saturday non chalantly we needed 5 7* phoenix to get 7* thrawn (i had them there just because they show up so frequently in chromes); and the gear requirements are ridiculous

they were g7 most when flash events started, as of this morning:
    CgEQ666.png
    guess how many slots need mk3 sensors?

ill push refreshing shipments and buying all required gear but ill go ftp for a long time after the event ends.

this was lsat night before i put the nubians and furnace on ezra/sabine

https://streamable.com/1sd6y
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    OK i beat it, with chopper instead of sabine and arena mods for hera and zeb
    vbIympG.png
    get that stormtrooper cheese taunt off
    dispel the deathrooper cheat code buff, its why i was getting killed so quickly, when i dispelled with chopper and ezra like the enemies slowed down and hit less, now my toons could do something. took out the troopers and go for thrawn. get that stagger in so he wont kick you to death (he got zeb) and:

ERi9iRv.png

VHvi3PW.png
  • Any suggestions for mods for Thrawn?
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    Any suggestions for mods for Thrawn?

at least +70 speed
    potency for zeb, sabine and kanan; crit damage ezra chopper.
  • Me2
    123 posts Member
    Just did it with gear 9 ezra, g8 hera, zeb, chopper and sabine.. i'd love to tell you there was some easy strategy to beat it.. but it was mostly rng.. sometimes thrawn would one shot my whole team others i'd kill one or two troopers, then all of a sudden.. win!

I did end up omega'ing the uniques on the whole squad and they were all lvl 80 except chopper who was 82 and used my best mods.
  • Lossberg
    457 posts Member
    @Me2 for 7 star?
    Me2 wrote: »
    Just did it with gear 9 ezra, g8 hera, zeb, chopper and sabine.. i'd love to tell you there was some easy strategy to beat it.. but it was mostly rng.. sometimes thrawn would one shot my whole team others i'd kill one or two troopers, then all of a sudden.. win!

I did end up omega'ing the uniques on the whole squad and they were all lvl 80 except chopper who was 82 and used my best mods.

• Me2
    123 posts Member
    Lossberg wrote: »
    @Me2 for 7 star?
    Me2 wrote: »

Yep!
  • Just managed 7* with G9 Ezra and Sabine, G8 Kanan and Zeb and G7 Hera with ragtag mods, G9 on Ezra pushed me over the top. All lvl 85 with most omegas.
  • Geshtianna
    240 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Kane13 wrote: »
    People complaining they can't beat it with gear 8 toons is funny

All 3 previous Legendary characters were obtainable with G8 characters. It's also what's explicitly stated as the recommended gear level.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Geshtianna wrote: »
    Kane13 wrote: »
    People complaining they can't beat it with gear 8 toons is funny

All 3 previous Legendary characters were obtainable with G8 characters. It's also what's explicitly stated as the recommended gear level.

Where is it explicitly stated that g8 is the recommended gear level? Can't find it.
    I'd also like to not that g8 was max gear at the time the yoda event was introduced. Wich would be the equivalent of g11 currently, meaning having a g8 gear requirement currently would make this event super easy relative to the yoda event back then.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Yoda event wasn't nerfed; the second time it occurred was after MAJOR changes to game mechanics. CG disclosed the "complete" rate was FAR below the first occurrence, so sorry no special cookie for you "first timers" you played a vastly different event then the second timers.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Yoda event wasn't nerfed; the second time it occurred was after MAJOR changes to game mechanics. CG disclosed the "complete" rate was FAR below the first occurrence, so sorry no special cookie for you "first timers" you played a vastly different event then the second timers.

you do realize that some players completed the event after the changes to the game mechanics, but before the "nerf" of the event right?
    Not sure if that qualifies for getting a special cookie, but it sure was much harder to get yoda to 7* like that. I wasn't one of those players btw, i completed the yoda event probably the 5th time around and it was super easy (mainly because i only farmed the jedi i wanted, being able to complete the event was just an unintended side effect)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • You need all 5 at gear XI

Well maybe you don´t necessarily need them all on Gear XI, but on Gear Xi even without speed mods and with half the abilities omega´d you can hit the auto button ;-)
    The sound of a TIE Fighter engine was created by combining an elephant bellow and a car driving on wet pavement.
  • neogeohunter
    112 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    If this is you: https://swgoh.gg/u/neogeohunter/collection/?f=phoenix

You don't even have them all at 7 stars (how are you even attempting the hardest tier?), they're not even level 85, and they're mostly gear 7 and you want to beat the hardest tier of a legendary event.

Wow.

I don't need all six on 7*. Five are enough ;) lol
    ...so you better check my profile carefully before commenting it! ...and why you think I need them
    On lvl 85??? Its not important to have them on the
    highest level. I beated tier 7 with the following gear:

Sabine G10/LVL80
    Ezra G10/LVL80
    Hera G8/LVL75
    Kanan G7/LVL73
    Zeb G7/LVL75

...so you see it is possible!!!
  • Why are you crying.. increase your gear and get it done..
  • I had all 6 at G8, L85, all abilities maxed except no zetas and got destroyed on the final stage.

Started working on better gear - luckily when Ezra hit 9 then 10 was easy. Same luck with Chopper. Also got Hera to 9.

So with Ezra and Chopper G10, Hera G9, and Zeb and Kanan G8 and only bad to average crit mods on Ezra I still got destroyed. Could only take out 1 DT in the last stage at best. It was disappointing how little difference the gear seemed to make.

Finally started peeling all the health mods off my arena team, which are only average mods at best, and put them on everyone but Ezra.

The survivability difference was crazy - beat it on my first try with all 5 characters still standing.

So my advice is focus on health mods!
  • The problem is that it looks like we are talking two different events. You study the forums and adjust accordingly. You are in the achievable zone but Thrawn apparently doesn't give a dime on the strategy from the forum and your preparedness. Then you look at the videos of the players who completed it and you are shocked. Thrawn lands a fracture very late in the fight and instead of one shooting everyone, in the way he does to you, he cleans himself or whatever. And you just passed the 200 try threshold and just start to hate everyone. Yeah, good game! Entertainment at its best!
  • I beat the event yesterday after 13 try's.

I used Hera, Zeb, Ezra, Kanan and Chopper.

Hera - Gear 9 with all MK V-A health mods and speed of 137
    Zeb - Gear 9 with a mix MK V-A Defense mods (had a lower end speed and tenacity mod) speed of 162
    Ezra - Gear 9 with all MK IV-A Speed mods and speed of 178
    Kanan - Gear 8 with all MK II-IV Potency mods and a speed of 106
    Chopper - Gear 8 with all MK V-A health mods and a speed of 156
    *No zeta's on anyone.

Until this time through, I'd been brutally killed off on the final stage. I never killed more than 4 of the final opponents.
    This time though, none of my team died and I blew through it like a breeze.
    Not sure what the issue was...
    From what I've seen on forums, my team probably has the lowest speed I've seen as nearly everyone who posted had their whole squad over 200 speed.

I can say to leave Thrawn for last...go for the DTs first after debuffing the stormtrooper, then the stormtrooper with taunt, then then ST Commanders...then Thrawn.
    This is the strategy that worked for me.
  • I beat it with 3 g8 and 2 g9. No ezra. Mod for speed... Came down to kill order and it was easy once i got that right.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Removed double post