Looks like we're all in the same boat

After observing the way the Thrawn event was handled (the hype, the communication, the Phoenix requirements, and Thrawn himself) it's safe to say that nobody, not even whales, are at a tremendous advantage.

Even if you would like to think that dumping tons of cash automatically makes one the winner of this game, that idea too, is misplaced. Whaling in this game is optional. It will give a momentary advantage but not everlasting. F2P players can (with hard work and time of course) take rank 1 in arena, compete in high end raids, and the like.

Spending money in this game does not guarantee dominance.

You also have the limits of the game itself -- which is an RPG that heavily relies on RNG factors (Dodge, Resist, Armor, Evasion, number variance, gear drop rates, zeta drop rates, mod drops, shipments, AI handling, event handling etc.) which can guarantee someone to be extremely lucky or not, rich or poor.

There are some who spent large amounts of $$ getting up Phoenix, getting Thrawn, gearing them up etc. and still not be able to take rank 1, compete in raids, and the like. Brains play a factor in your progression in this game and while money does help, it doesn't solidify your position. Furthermore, due to rotting wood characters like Chaze, the likelihood of needing to spend on new characters in the future to counter the current meta has become optional, leading to even less spending. (Thanks Chaze)

There's a lot of complaint about how the game is whale-only and F2P gets shafted, but the reality is that whales get shafted too -- and sometimes much worse than F2P.

Replies

• If you can't compete in raids with Thrawn you should have your account deleted :)

I agree with your general point though. Huge diminishing returns in this game for $ investment.
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    mickeyswisscheese.gif
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • Yup. All the whales with that $300 7* FAT rotting on their bench are getting just as much use out of her as we F2P and dolphins are.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Just wait for new content that will require the use of your whole roster...

I agree for what they pay they get shafted but to say they have no advantage is a stretch, have you seen whale mods?

The advantage is temporary, but as new raids are released and new ships, and other content (which we have "never seen") gets released I'm sure they will have a distinct advantage.
  • Rapid
    421 posts Member
    I agree OP and I think it's great. Great balance between whaling and F2P.

If someone wants to go and spend thousands of $$$ on one toon, I say more fool you. The entire concept of spending that kind of money on a game like this, never mind the fact it's just one toon I find mind boggling. I would hope that's the kind of money someone can afford to lose. If not, how can you have any complaints being so foolish? But hey, each to their own.
  • After observing the way the Thrawn event was handled (the hype, the communication, the Phoenix requirements, and Thrawn himself) it's safe to say that nobody, not even whales, are at a tremendous advantage.

Even if you would like to think that dumping tons of cash automatically makes one the winner of this game, that idea too, is misplaced. Whaling in this game is optional. It will give a momentary advantage but not everlasting. F2P players can (with hard work and time of course) take rank 1 in arena, compete in high end raids, and the like.

You also have the limits of the game itself -- which is an RPG that heavily relies on RNG factors (Dodge, Resist, Armor, Evasion, number variance, gear drop rates, zeta drop rates, mod drops, shipments, AI handling, event handling etc.) which can guarantee someone to be extremely lucky or not, rich or poor.

There are some who spent large amounts of $$ getting up Phoenix, getting Thrawn, gearing them up etc. and still not be able to take rank 1, compete in raids, and the like. Brains play a factor in your progression in this game and while money does help, it doesn't solidify your position. Furthermore, due to rotting wood characters like Chaze, the likelihood of needing to spend on new characters in the future to counter the current meta has become optional, leading to even less spending. (Thanks Chaze)

There's a lot of complaint about how the game is whale-only and F2P gets shafted, but the reality is that whales get shafted too -- and sometimes much worse than F2P.

This is 100% true ... until they jack up level, gear and mod caps lol ... then that's another few extra months for the whales
  • Vampire_X wrote: »
    mickeyswisscheese.gif
    That's a mighty fine boat you got there.
    Rapid wrote: »
    I agree OP and I think it's great. Great balance between whaling and F2P.

If someone wants to go and spend thousands of $$$ on one toon, I say more fool you. The entire concept of spending that kind of money on a game like this, never mind the fact it's just one toon I find mind boggling. I would hope that's the kind of money someone can afford to lose. If not, how can you have any complaints being so foolish? But hey, each to their own.
    To be fair it's a decent balance. The game allows both types of players to succeed.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    After observing the way the Thrawn event was handled (the hype, the communication, the Phoenix requirements, and Thrawn himself) it's safe to say that nobody, not even whales, are at a tremendous advantage.

This is 100% true ... until they jack up level, gear and mod caps lol ... then that's another few extra months for the whales

This is correct. Which is part of the reason I think it's happening sooner rather than later.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*