Is GK OP?

Prev13
JediGhost117
1756 posts Member
edited June 2017
For the record I don't think he is considering how difficult it is to obtain him, but I'd like to know what the majority of the players think that have fought against GK

Is GK OP? 158 votes

Yes, he is borderline broken
22%
JohnnySteelAlphaSticare_Courts_0073xReDeMpxTromedlov13XizestumpomanLevlIdraRageKorbinAthens_82gpeeeejcooldog007MatheasDr_CrazyfistsMzeeN1c0TrollsbaneSchnauzerBabanevertellmetheoddsHackPapiBlanco 36 votes
No, he's perfectly fine
77%
Syth_HunterGold_LeaderdiangeloZtyleSlevinBurgersithhappens44142Zombie961WildGruntJediMindTricksUSAmazingxlX_Snow_XlxJedi_of_OzKyleKatarnHeroOfCantonNightloresBonifaySilverwing6anonidudeLRMoserAachthor 122 votes

Replies

• Boreas
    508 posts Member
    No, he's perfectly fine
    I don't have him, always fighting against him, imo he is a solid and balanced character, yes he is strong, has a fantastic kit, but definitely well deserved for General Kenobi.
  • The reason I ask is because he seems to be as versatile as Nihilus and can work in just about any squad comp without any real weakness. Now some people have stated previously that this constitutes being overpowered but I don't see a lot of nerf GK threads on here.
  • J7Luke
    484 posts Member
    No, he's perfectly fine
    He's not OP in my opinion, but if anyone deserves to be OP, it is General Kenobi. Characters that do not deserve to be OP are Nihilus (who is neither canon nor well known) and Chaze (who were supporting roles in a Star Wars spin-off).
  • J7Luke wrote: »
    He's not OP in my opinion, but if anyone deserves to be OP, it is General Kenobi. Characters that do not deserve to be OP are Nihilus (who is neither canon nor well known) and Chaze (who were supporting roles in a Star Wars spin-off).

Why though? What precedents being OP in your mind. Just curious
  • No, he's perfectly fine
    He's just a toons that EA made in an attemp to make Jedi viable again ( including Jedi healers)
  • Georgemi6
    1236 posts Member
    No, he's perfectly fine
    He's balanced in that he's slow with low damage while being an excellent tank and synergizer. Although he has many strengths, he is very deserving of them as he is a very difficult farm and gear grind.
  • Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    How can I vote like this? It is like US elections--far left, and far right. I want closer to the middle.
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    No, he's perfectly fine
    I think GK is a strong character but would not necessarily class him as OP.

What is OP is who he is matched up with - like the classic everyone has seen and hates to face on the dreaded GW node 12:

GK (L), DN, R2 and Chaze - I find this team way too OP, mostly because o the chaze element.
  • Supercat wrote: »
    How can I vote like this? It is like US elections--far left, and far right. I want closer to the middle.

Well vote on the side you have most in common with and then comment about why you are more in the middle.
  • Georgemi6 wrote: »
    He's balanced in that he's slow with low damage while being an excellent tank and synergizer. Although he has many strengths, he is very deserving of them as he is a very difficult farm and gear grind.

I wouldn't say he has low damage by any stretch. Getting 10k basics and a team assist call that can one shot squishier toons with ease.
  • Yes, he is borderline broken
    Just voting for the first option for dramatic effect.

In all seriousness, I think he isn't broken, but overpowered nevertheless. Fits in literally any team no matter what the (lack of) synergy.
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
    The reason I ask is because he seems to be as versatile as Nihilus and can work in just about any squad comp without any real weakness. Now some people have stated previously that this constitutes being overpowered but I don't see a lot of nerf GK threads on here.

People are hypocrites by default. Everybody likes Kenobi as a character (me included) so they won't speak up about it.
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • The reason I ask is because he seems to be as versatile as Nihilus and can work in just about any squad comp without any real weakness. Now some people have stated previously that this constitutes being overpowered but I don't see a lot of nerf GK threads on here.

People are hypocrites by default. Everybody likes Kenobi as a character (me included) so they won't speak up about it.

Sadly it's true. If they said they were going to Nerf Chaze most people would be furious because they like using them for easy-mode. That's also why I asked about GK because he's the other factor the OP meta squad we have now that isn't the controversial Chaze.
  • Boreas
    508 posts Member
    No, he's perfectly fine
    The reason I ask is because he seems to be as versatile as Nihilus and can work in just about any squad comp without any real weakness. Now some people have stated previously that this constitutes being overpowered but I don't see a lot of nerf GK threads on here.

Sadly it's true. If they said they were going to Nerf Chaze most people would be furious because they like using them for easy-mode. That's also why I asked about GK because he's the other factor the OP meta squad we have now that isn't the controversial Chaze.

I think people really don't get what OP means, for ex. DN is a very strong character, has a really nice kit, but he is a balanced character, with a chain ability kit, the same goes for GK, he is powerful, has a fantastic kit, but that makes him a really good character. not OP. The problem with Chaze is that they have 14-15 abilities in just 2 characters, more than many teams, that makes them OP.
    Boreas wrote: »

I think people really don't get what OP means, for ex. DN is a very strong character, has a really nice kit, but he is a balanced character, with a chain ability kit, the same goes for GK, he is powerful, has a fantastic kit, but that makes him a really good character. not OP. The problem with Chaze is that they have 14-15 abilities in just 2 characters, more than many teams, that makes them OP.

So what about mega health, auto taunt, cleanse, spread crit immunity, spread foresight, burst 1-hit-kill? Great abilities aren't they? Well, here's your ONE CHARACTER who does all that. Hmm...
  • J7Luke
    484 posts Member
    No, he's perfectly fine
    J7Luke wrote: »

A fan favorite character that is central to the movies and is really difficult to farm (i.e. end-game content).
  • Boreas
    508 posts Member
    No, he's perfectly fine
    Boreas wrote: »

So what about mega health, auto taunt, cleanse, spread crit immunity, spread foresight, burst 1-hit-kill? Great abilities aren't they? Well, here's your ONE CHARACTER who does all that. Hmm...

They are great abilities which make a great character. Non unbalanced like Chaze.

A fan favorite character that is central to the movies and is really difficult to farm (i.e. end-game content).

I don't know about you, but nearly everybody in my top 50 has him at 7* already. If he is super late game then we need some new content because practically everybody has him.
    People that think toons are OP is because (A) they dont understand the games mechanics and stratagies, B) they have a weak roster and (C) they rather use their favorite toons instead of running toons that counter the team they are fighting.

The amount of gear required to max GK is beyond insane. Mix that and the fact you need a heroic guild and 3 months of farming HAAT raids just to unlock him and make him arena viable is more than enough reasons to prove he in fact should be a meta toon. Imagine going through all that farming and gearing him up just for him to sit on the bench, collecting dust. Talk about a waste of time and resources.

GK is perfect as he is. All the naysayers can go play StarWars legos for all i care.
  • Power is Sith persuit. Jedi are peacemakers. GK is a good support hero, but stun without his buffs, he can be taken out easily. Cleanse, stun, attack, buh bye..
  • J7Luke
    484 posts Member
    No, he's perfectly fine

I don't know about you, but nearly everybody in my top 50 has him at 7* already. If he is super late game then we need some new content because practically everybody has him.

Very true, but you are looking at players who have almost every player anyways. For me, GK will be one of the last players I unlock that is viable simply because of how long it takes to get him (I am level 80 and still haven't gotten a single shard). I am just saying that I would prefer players that take time, dedication, and skill to unlock to be OP, not players that require you to empty your bank account. Another example of someone I feel deserves to be OP is Han Solo, for all the same reasons as GK. Along that line of thinking though, I would be even more happy if Jedi Luke replaces GK as a deserving OP character.

TL;DR It would be ideal if everything was perfectly balanced, but since that is impossible, it would at least be nice for fan favorite characters that require skill to unlock to be meta instead of mediocre characters with huge price tags.
  • People that think toons are OP is because (A) they dont understand the games mechanics and stratagies, B) they have a weak roster and (C) they rather use their favorite toons instead of running toons that counter the team they are fighting.

The amount of gear required to max GK is beyond insane. Mix that and the fact you need a heroic guild and 3 months of farming HAAT raids just to unlock him and make him arena viable is more than enough reasons to prove he in fact should be a meta toon. Imagine going through all that farming and gearing him up just for him to sit on the bench, collecting dust. Talk about a waste of time and resources.

GK is perfect as he is. All the naysayers can go play StarWars legos for all i care.

Yeah, because the other heroic toon is super viable nowadays outside of the credit and Droid Heist. Also, I'd like to address the three months thing. Even if you got the minimum 3 shards per raid, it would take you 49 raids to unlock GK. If your guild can clear HAAT but not run them consistently often, then there's a problem with the guild contributions. My guild isn't even close to HAAT raids and we can nearly run a normal AAT raid every couple of days.

Very true, but you are looking at players who have almost every player anyways. For me, GK will be one of the last players I unlock that is viable simply because of how long it takes to get him (I am level 80 and still haven't gotten a single shard). I am just saying that I would prefer players that take time, dedication, and skill to unlock to be OP, not players that require you to empty your bank account. Another example of someone I feel deserves to be OP is Han Solo, for all the same reasons as GK. Along that line of thinking though, I would be even more happy if Jedi Luke replaces GK as a deserving OP character.

TL;DR It would be ideal if everything was perfectly balanced, but since that is impossible, it would at least be nice for fan favorite characters that require skill to unlock to be meta instead of mediocre characters with huge price tags.

Very true. That's one thing that I've found to be consistent with people that defend GK, is that they forget about Han Solo despite those two being the only toons in the game that require you to beat Heroic Raids to unlock. While HAAT is significantly harder than HRancor they are still both classed as Heroic raids which means their rewards should be somewhat of the same caliber in terms of being meta toons. I'm not a fan of the whole "he's a fan favorite, so he should be slightly OP" argument because it's subjective. I personally like Mace Windu and he's also a fan favorite but that doesn't mean he should be slightly OP.
    GK has a great kit that I will probably never run simply because I don't want to spend the gear on him. In some teams, he seems borderline unkillable (go AWAY zBarriss!), and while he does not exactly possess the damage capability to do great harm himself, he makes his whole squad much stronger (retribution) and resilient (foresight, crit immunity), and then tops that all off with an auto-taunt. Great hero.

Despite all that, he is not OP. Most of the time, my First Order squad knocks him down in short order. But before he goes, he gives Retribution and Crit Immunity to his whole team, which makes it much harder to clean house after he is gone.
  • GK has a great kit that I will probably never run simply because I don't want to spend the gear on him. In some teams, he seems borderline unkillable (go AWAY zBarriss!), and while he does not exactly possess the damage capability to do great harm himself, he makes his whole squad much stronger (retribution) and resilient (foresight, crit immunity), and then tops that all off with an auto-taunt. Great hero.

Despite all that, he is not OP. Most of the time, my First Order squad knocks him down in short order. But before he goes, he gives Retribution and Crit Immunity to his whole team, which makes it much harder to clean house after he is gone.

Don't forget about the cleanse so debuffs like shock and heal immunity don't work to stop Zarriss.
    GK has a great kit that I will probably never run simply because I don't want to spend the gear on him. In some teams, he seems borderline unkillable (go AWAY zBarriss!), and while he does not exactly possess the damage capability to do great harm himself, he makes his whole squad much stronger (retribution) and resilient (foresight, crit immunity), and then tops that all off with an auto-taunt. Great hero.

Don't forget about the cleanse so debuffs like shock and heal immunity don't work to stop Zarriss.

Barriss cleans off her own debuffs fairly effectively. Shock is best on her to stop the TM gain and the healing, but yeah if GK is there he will throw a wrench in that pretty quickly.
  • IdraRage
    259 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Yes, he is borderline broken
    Yes, he's OP (not sure about "borderline broken"). He's used in 66% of #1 teams, and CG should consider such low diversity a problem. People who have maxed Shoretroopers are using him in Empire teams instead even though he has no synergy. There's also a new low synergy team that is becoming popular: GK (L) Chaze DN R2.

He's not the most OP- DN, Chaze, and maybe Thrawn are the most OP characters and need nerfs more than him, but he's still way to prevalent.

Team composition and mod strategies are supposed to be big parts of the game, so it's unfortunate that the meta is dominated by a small fraction of its characters and that speed secondaries are the dominant factor with mods.

Regardless of how iconic a character is or how hard they are to gear, they should never stifle diversity as much as GK.
  • Hskull55
    2263 posts Member
    No, he's perfectly fine
    He's good, but not OP
    My collection https://swgoh.gg/u/Hskull55/
    Sorry for my English :]
  • IdraRage wrote: »
    Yes, he's OP (not sure about "borderline broken"). He's used in 66% of #1 teams, and CG should consider such low diversity a problem. People who have maxed Shoretroopers are using him in Empire teams instead even though he has no synergy. There's also a new low synergy team that is becoming popular: GK (L) Chaze DN R2.

He's not the most OP- DN, Chaze, and maybe Thrawn are the most OP characters and need nerfs more than him, but he's still way to prevalent.

Team composition and mod strategies are supposed to be big parts of the game, so it's unfortunate that the meta is dominated by a small fraction of its characters and that speed secondaries are the dominant factor with mods.

Regardless of how iconic a character is or how hard they are to gear, they should never stifle diversity as much as GK.

Fair point. We had this exact same point back when Poe Droid teams were the meta because there wasn't a way to counter it without using it. Fighting fire with fire is a very quick way to make certain toons seems more OP than others.