Who has the formual for success? Speed secondary vs offense secondary. Help!

JinSaotome
682 posts Member
edited June 2017
I have a lot of hard number offense secondaries such as +80 to +120. By removing mods and doing basic math I can see that most of my characters gain 19-22 extra offense stat per 1% offense on a mod. So going with hard number is definitely better in this case.

My question is, when does hard offense secondary trump a speed secondary?

Most of my speed secs are 10-12. But they don't have that +100 offense stat, at the most maybe 20. I hear speed is king, gotcha. But I notice a huge damage boost in many attackers when I tack on an extra 300 offense through mods. Would +100 offense be better than +10 speed? Would 130 offense be better than +8 speed? I have no idea and hope someone has a general formula or know of when speed hits diminishing returns vs damage output.

"When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."
Post edited by JinSaotome on

Replies

• There's no formula, it depends on the toon. And by that I mean that the only important thing is speed
  • For a toon running at 200 speed with mods, 10 speed is about a 5% DPS increase. If they have a fairly typical 2500 damage than you need +125 offence to make a 5% increase. If you are gaining a lot of turn meter from % based boosts then the value of speed goes down. If you are running a team that gets offence up(which I think boosts pre mod offence, someone correct me if I am wrong) then the value of fixed offence secondaries goes down.

But even more important is that speed allows for getting in the first punch, either boosting your own team, crippling the enemy team, or some combination before they even get to go. Often beating a triple cleanse team involves never letting key enemy units get to use anything but basic attacks. This is why speed is so often hailed as king.

There are still a few units where offence secondaries are better in general than speed. B2 is an obvious example, because he gains full turn meter so often. Dooku also will benefit more than most from offence secondaries because of his constant double counter attacks and the turn meter boosts he gets from them. If you have high enough offence secondaries toons like Barriss, Savage, and Biggs also gain a lot of bonus turn meter, especially if under the right leads, but they also have reasons to want to go first (Biggs), or frequently, in order to cleanse.
  • https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/110641/first-order-folk-dont-waste-speed-on-fotp#latest

Pasted this a little while ago. If it's a heavy hitter with turn meter support around it then you can ignore speed. If the rng is picking my fotp for assist then it's goodbye opposition.

You could probably stack Rey with offense on a resistance team. She has good base speed and loads of tm gain from expose
  • evanbio
    1505 posts Member
    The answer is always speed. Speed will let you hit first. And then come around to hit a 2nd time.
  • Hey Jin!!!
    Here is my two cents on the speed/offence conundrum. Keeping in mind that I am waaay to lazy to actually do the math...but someone else can:
    I would set it up as an LP problem in excel. Assuming only two variables Offence (O) and Speed (S) and shoot to find max damage on attack. I would make the assumption that you want the speed primary arrow (but you could alter it somewhat if you wanted that +5.somethin % offence arrow). That leaves you five mod slots to either add 10 speed OR 100 offense (these could be adjusted based on your particular situation). You first need to calculate or estimate how many turns your toon would/could expect to take over the course of the match. I would base that on the speeds of your opponents and your toons speed AND how likely your toon is to be wiped out by your opponent (on defence). I.E. Rex or kenobi will probably be targeted first, therefore taking fewer turns. BUT, also a major consideration is "how important is it for that toon to go first?" For example, getting Boba's mass ability block off early in the match MAY be more important than the extra damage from offense?
    Again, you really need to make some assumptions based on utility of the toon as well. If I get some extra time I will setup the model in Excel, but don't hold your breath on that one...
    My gut tells me that guys like baze and chirrut would benefit more from offense, and Nihilus types from speed, but again, you would really need to plug them into the model (that only exists in my head).
  • Hmm. HMMMMMM. Taking the points of all your replies together I've come up with a general way about this. For characters that are called to assist constantly (wedge, first order, DT) or counter characters (Aalya, fives, dooku) pure offense seems to be the way to go unless they have some sort of ability you need to pull off. Characters like Biggs or Anakin, even tho they take multiple turns through TM manipulation, seem to still need speed over damage because of how high their offense already is, and making them go more often gives you more return for turns-taken-over-time than a slower, harder hitting shot.

I guess itll depend what else is on that mod and what character utilizing it does. But the general consensus is unless that +100 damage mod has a bunch of other really nice stuff on it, the +10 speed is still better.
    "When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."
  • Yes