hAN sOLO movie will likely not be good (no, this isnt about recasting hAN cause idc about that)

DatBoi
3615 posts Member
edited June 2017
Phil lord and christopher miller have dropped out of directing the next star wars anthology movie due to "creative differences" with lucasfilm. Its never a good sign when people drop out of doing a film, but normally thats in pre-production. When they drop out in the middle of filming, thats a whole lot worse.

Its pretty common for a studio to clash with directors. Directors (should) do their best to tell a story the way they think it should be told, however studios have a checklist of requirements that they want the movie to have so it makes the most money. These requirements often restrict or distort the director's vision for the film. This happened most recently to josh trank and david ayer in fantastic four and suicide squad respectfully.

I was optimistic about this movie. I don't have a problem with recasting han solo, lawrence kasden is in charge of the script, and i thought CM and PL were good picks for directing. However, in light of this new information, my optimism is waning.

Im curious to hear what others think.
Post edited by DatBoi on

Replies

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    I would like to add that all of the conflicts were with kasden, kennedy, and other people at lucasfilm, NOT disney. So if you're in this thread to trash disney, kindly take your bandwagon somewhere else.
  • Boreas
    508 posts Member
    There are several good movies which had problems during the production, recasts, director changes etc. Whether or not it'll be good, it remains to be seen. Personally I'm not so optimistic about the movie, not because of these problems but in general. Still, let's wait and see.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Boreas wrote: »
    There are several good movies which had problems during the production, recasts, director changes etc. Whether or not it'll be good, it remains to be seen. Personally I'm not so optimistic about the movie, not because of these problems but in general. Still, let's wait and see.

Fair enough, but especially after rogue one, im not expecting anything as good as TFA
  • J7Luke
    484 posts Member
    Personally, I thought Rogue One was great, and if this movie turns out the same, I will be happy. However, I am worried about recasting Solo. In many cases, a character is not really tied to a specific actor, but I feel like Harrison Ford is Han Solo. I am currently highly skeptical that even the most skilled actor could replace him and still capture the Han Solo feel. And if the new actor tries to be original and avoid copying Harrison Ford's acting, I think things will be even worse.
  • Take a look at Mr. Kasdan's screenplay/writing resume:
    • Raiders of the Lost Ark (4 Oscars)
    • The Empire Strikes Back (1 Oscar)
    • The Accidental Tourist (1 Oscar)
    • The Force Awakens (5 Oscar nominations)
    • Return of the Jedi (4 Oscar nominations)
    • The Big Chill (3 Oscar nominations)
    • The Bodyguard (2 Oscar nominations)
    • Silverado (2 Oscar nominations)
    • Wyatt Earp (1 Oscar nomination)
    • Grand Canyon (1 Oscar nomination)
    • Body Heat

Plus a few more. These are great films. I think we are in good hands here.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Take a look at Mr. Kasdan's screenplay/writing resume:
    • Raiders of the Lost Ark (4 Oscars)
    • The Empire Strikes Back (1 Oscar)
    • The Accidental Tourist (1 Oscar)
    • The Force Awakens (5 Oscar nominations)
    • Return of the Jedi (4 Oscar nominations)
    • The Big Chill (3 Oscar nominations)
    • The Bodyguard (2 Oscar nominations)
    • Silverado (2 Oscar nominations)
    • Wyatt Earp (1 Oscar nomination)
    • Grand Canyon (1 Oscar nomination)
    • Body Heat

Plus a few more. These are great films. I think we are in good hands here.
    Believe me, kasdan is the only aspect of this movie that i have no concerns about. Without kasdan, star wars would have just been another cliché fantasy movie and not the beloved franchise it became. He deserves more credit than lucas
  • A random thought: just imagine them doing (a) crossover movie(s) after this one, like X-Men recently did, with young AND old Han Solo. Harrison Ford would personally strangle the script guys, LOL.
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I had my reservations about a Han Solo movie from the get go as it does not seem to add any weight to the overall saga as whole.

Kasdan is awesome, so I hope the movie can be salvaged into something good or should be scrapped - we do not want another Fantrastic 4 or Suicide Squad catastrophe.

Is Kasdan also doing the screenplay for The Last Jedi? does anyone know??
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »
    I had my reservations about a Han Solo movie from the get go as it does not seem to add any weight to the overall saga as whole.

Kasdan is awesome, so I hope the movie can be salvaged into something good or should be scrapped - we do not want another Fantrastic 4 or Suicide Squad catastrophe.

Is Kasdan also doing the screenplay for The Last Jedi? does anyone know??

Rian johnson is the writer for TLJ
  • Tman
    257 posts Member
    I actually think Opie Taylor is a good choice to direct. He has experience in comedy, with Lucasfilm, and space. Of course it is not good to drop directors in middle of filming but lucasfilm collected themselves and made a right secondary choice. I have worries but I worried about R1 too so hoping for the best.
    I am more powerful than the Chancellor- Anikan Skywalker and Tman
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Tman wrote: »
    I actually think Opie Taylor is a good choice to direct. He has experience in comedy, with Lucasfilm, and space. Of course it is not good to drop directors in middle of filming but lucasfilm collected themselves and made a right secondary choice. I have worries but I worried about R1 too so hoping for the best.

I agree that howard is a great pick for director, but unless they reshoot most of what they have, theres only so much one can do in post to keep the tone consistent.
  • Just get it out so we can have a Kenobi movie already lol
  • It probably won't Be as good as Rogue One
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    It probably won't Be as good as Rogue One

Yeah, because it will have good writing and likable characters
  • DatBoi wrote: »

A young(er) Baze and Chirrut? Awesome!
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • murphsith wrote: »
    Just get it out so we can have a Kenobi movie already lol

A pre-TPM Kenobi please!

But yeah, I agree with OP. Seems like the more I hear about it, the worse it sounds. Hope I'm wrong though.
  • Chagoth
    265 posts Member
    DatBoi wrote: »

What a bizarre comment. It's almost as if you haven't seen any Star Wars movies except for Rogue One. Half the films have been poorly directed so automatically Rogue One is in the top four SW movies. ANH is not a great movie: poorly directed, crappy acting. If it wasn't for performances by Cushing, Guiness, and Jones, the movie would have been a complete disaster. The prequels are mostly bad (though ROTS has some good points). ROTJ is well-directed but suffers from Ewok silliness (yes, that's a real thing). TFA is well directed and acted but it is simply a remake of ANH. So Rogue One is the second best Star Wars movie only behind Empire. Any other argument is based almost solely on nostalgia.
  • Tman
    257 posts Member
    Chagoth wrote: »

What a bizarre comment. It's almost as if you haven't seen any Star Wars movies except for Rogue One. Half the films have been poorly directed so automatically Rogue One is in the top four SW movies. ANH is not a great movie: poorly directed, **** acting. If it wasn't for performances by Cushing, Guiness, and Jones, the movie would have been a complete disaster. The prequels are mostly bad (though ROTS has some good points). ROTJ is well-directed but suffers from Ewok silliness (yes, that's a real thing). TFA is well directed and acted but it is simply a remake of ANH. So Rogue One is the second best Star Wars movie only behind Empire. Any other argument is based almost solely on nostalgia.

Who says nostalgia is bad.
    I am more powerful than the Chancellor- Anikan Skywalker and Tman
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Chagoth wrote: »

What a bizarre comment. It's almost as if you haven't seen any Star Wars movies except for Rogue One. Half the films have been poorly directed so automatically Rogue One is in the top four SW movies. ANH is not a great movie: poorly directed, **** acting. If it wasn't for performances by Cushing, Guiness, and Jones, the movie would have been a complete disaster. The prequels are mostly bad (though ROTS has some good points). ROTJ is well-directed but suffers from Ewok silliness (yes, that's a real thing). TFA is well directed and acted but it is simply a remake of ANH. So Rogue One is the second best Star Wars movie only behind Empire. Any other argument is based almost solely on nostalgia.

Idk where you read i thought it would be a good movie overall, or that rogue one is any worse than the prequels. My point was that Han Solo will focus more on characters and fun, witty dialogue (like TFA) than Rogue One did.

Also, since you brought it up, i think the good in ANH, TFA, and ROTJ outweigh the bad.

A New Hope: yes, its schlocky, simplistic, and base, but thats why i like it. Unlike the prequels or newer movies it doesn't have the weight of obligation on it and it doesn't try to be more than it is (cheezy B-movie fun). It wasn't meant to fit into some larger universe, the universe was built around the story and the "star wars universe" only came about because of the fans.

Return of the Jedi: Definitely the weakest of the OT. This film marks the point where george lucas realizes how much money he can squeeze out of this franchise so he crams in unnecessary characters, creatures, and ships by sacrificing a cohesive story, witty dialogue, and likable characters (luke is an emotionless monk we cant relate to, leia is objectified, han has no purpose, etc). However this movie is saved by the emperor and the scene in his throne room (hands down best star wars scene).

The Force Awakens: Critiquing this movie is a bit difficult for me. There is a whole lot thats wrong with it, but a whole lot thats great. I think the characters are some of the strongest of the saga (i maintain my position that kylo ren is a better written character than vader), its humerous when it can be, and (usually) dramatic when it needs to be. And most of all, its FUN. Yes, its a soft reboot of the franchise but unlike rogue one, the connections, references, and rehashed tropes aren't what makes the movie good. People like me like TFA not because of what it rehashes, but what it adds, and thats what is important to me.
  • Sticare_Courts_0073
    1916 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    And then you have the people like me, who rate both TFA and R1 just slightly below ESB.

Can you even IMAGINE what it's like? :disappointed::cold_sweat:

Btw: amigo, could you please change the title of this thread so that the name of our favorite Nerf Herder at least has correct CapiTaLizAtiOn? :(
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    And then you have the people like me, who rate both TFA and R1 just slightly below ESB.

Can you even IMAGINE what it's like? :disappointed::cold_sweat:

Btw: amigo, could you please change the title of this thread so that the name of our favorite Nerf Herder at least has correct CapiTaLizAtiOn? :(

Fixed
  • mUch BetTeR
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I heard the directors were fired by Kennedy - they didn't walk.

They were using improvised takes - going off the path from Kasdan's amazing script writing and also trying to make the movie "funny" - quirky moments...MOMENTS can be funny, but when a movie like this goes out of its way to be "funny" it rarely is.

If this is all true, then I am glad the directors got the axe - but I am apprehensive as to what this means about the movie - as it is apparently nearly finished in its filming process. Hopefully it can be salvaged and turned into an enjoyable addition to the star wars franchise upon its release.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »
    I heard the directors were fired by Kennedy - they didn't walk.

They were using improvised takes - going off the path from Kasdan's amazing script writing and also trying to make the movie "funny" - quirky moments...MOMENTS can be funny, but when a movie like this goes out of its way to be "funny" it rarely is.

If this is all true, then I am glad the directors got the axe - but I am apprehensive as to what this means about the movie - as it is apparently nearly finished in its filming process. Hopefully it can be salvaged and turned into an enjoyable addition to the star wars franchise upon its release.
    Agree 100%