Is Jyn just not that great?

HeroOfCanton
447 posts Member
edited June 2017
I'm from an old December 2015 shard in arena, and top 75 nowadays are just a rotating pile of Maul, triple cleanse, and a couple specialty teams like FO. One of my guild mates had a gw match that jyn r2 gk and chaze. Then I looked at jyn and wonder why she's never really used as leader with chaze. It seems like her having them recover protection as quickly as they keep getting their buffs would be a great thing. Yet she's not used. Is there something about her that's just not good, or can she be really great and no one just ever bothers with her?
You guys had a riot? On account o' me? My very own riot?

Replies

• Options
    She's a massive asset against the Rancor - it's just that her shine is overshadowed by other lead abilities. Protection recovery is great, but not as great as TM gain (HK-47, Zaul, Rex) in the current way of things.
  • TheMegaSage
    393 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm also in a Dec 2015 shard and run a zJyn, Cass, Chaze, and Zylo squad. Jyn and Cassian are only gear level 10, but the rest are G11. Right now I'm sitting at #11 in the arena with three refreshes left, so if the Sith are good and I don't drop any spots during the day, I'll have a shot at #1 (11 to 7, 7 to 3, 3 to 1). Big if, of course. :)

Point is, Jyn is a perfectly decent leader, especially on offense. The protection gain is definitely nice, but not overpowered, but the big win is the 50% chance for an unresistable expose when an enemy gets a debuff. In the end though, she's just a great all around character. Being able to stun, remove (while gaining for herself) TM, and being able to give 100% TM to another ally is a fantastic kit. Not to mention the whole "rezzing a rebel" thing. Baze goes down, Jyn aoe crits him back while giving 100% TM to Chirrut, and the big C heals and gives tenacity up and extra protection to Baze. It's won a battle for me a few times.

I'm not sure why she's not used more in the arena. I'm the only one on my shard in the top 50 who uses her as a lead, and I honestly hold pretty well during the day, even using Zylo (non-synergy, not very good on defense).

*shrug* She works for me, and is definitely arena viable, even running two characters only at gear 10.
  • Rapid
    421 posts Member
    Options
    The problem with jyn in the arena is that she struggles against the current triple cleanse meta. It's all well and good saying 'the expose can't be resisted' but how do you debuff a team that has tenacity up for the whole battle in the first place?

As an all round toon I really like her though. I walk through most of GW with wiggs, jyn, chirrut and leia. her stun means you get minimal damage against you until the latter nodes.

and has been said, she's possibly the best toon against the rancor.

great toon, just not quite so arena viable imho.
  • Options
    Rapid wrote: »
    The problem with jyn in the arena is that she struggles against the current triple cleanse meta. It's all well and good saying 'the expose can't be resisted' but how do you debuff a team that has tenacity up for the whole battle in the first place?

As an all round toon I really like her though. I walk through most of GW with wiggs, jyn, chirrut and leia. her stun means you get minimal damage against you until the latter nodes.

and has been said, she's possibly the best toon against the rancor.

great toon, just not quite so arena viable imho.

3fOsW47.png

I do agree that triple cleanse is a pain for this team, but then most teams feel that way. If you shut down Cassian, then the expose machine stops and you're left with a low dps team that is going to be tickling enemy tanks. Still, they can turtle up and if you get a string of debuffs and stuns turned into exposes, even GK can be smashed in one turn with 6+ exposes on him ... if you get another attack before he's cleansed!

That being said, there's probably a reason I'm the only Jyn leader in the top 50 of my shard. :) It's not the fire and forget of the triple cleanse, but it has great synergy and can turn defeat into victory better than any team out there, imo.
  • Arkham
    275 posts Member
    Options
    @TheMegaSage
    I'm looking at replacing my droid arena team with a jyn-led arena team. I'm not looking to take first in arena--I currently hover between 200 and 350 arena rank--but it would be nice to sit solidly under rank 200.

Problem is I don't have Baze or Chirrut, and I don't have any near term possibility of acquiring them.

I'm planning on running Jyn (L), K2, Cassian, R2, and an undetermined fifth (debating between Ackbar, Lobot, JE, Leia, Biggs, EP ... honestly, I have no idea). Pretesting in GW shows a lot of promise. Do you think this team has potential? Or will it be no better than my droids if I don't have Chaze?
    Enthusiast of undervalued toons, general dismisser of trends,
    https://swgoh.gg/u/arkham/, A Team
  • Options
    Arkham wrote: »
    @TheMegaSage
    I'm looking at replacing my droid arena team with a jyn-led arena team. I'm not looking to take first in arena--I currently hover between 200 and 350 arena rank--but it would be nice to sit solidly under rank 200.

Problem is I don't have Baze or Chirrut, and I don't have any near term possibility of acquiring them.

I'm planning on running Jyn (L), K2, Cassian, R2, and an undetermined fifth (debating between Ackbar, Lobot, JE, Leia, Biggs, EP ... honestly, I have no idea). Pretesting in GW shows a lot of promise. Do you think this team has potential? Or will it be no better than my droids if I don't have Chaze?

I hate to say it, but Baze and Chirrut are pretty key to a Rogue One team. Jyn and Cassian are really squishy, so having Baze, this absolutely huge tank, sitting in front of them, is important. Right now my Baze has 96k hp/protection, and he regains 3000+ protection every time he gets a buff. He's a beast, and that's not even taking into account all the heals from Chirrut.

That being said, your team is really solid. K2 is a hugely underrated tank and will actually take more hits than if you had a Baze because that taunt is pretty much always on. R2 is boss (I'm trying to talk myself into putting a zeta on him, and still might once I get him to G10).

To be honest, I'd recommend using Wedge as your lead. You get health back on crits and more health when you kill an enemy. You can still use Jyn for her other abilities, but I think until you get her a zeta and have Baze backing you up, Wedge is the way to go.

In my opinion. :)

PS
    Baze is in the shop for 50 crystals a shard now, and he's perfectly viable at 3 stars (50 shards). It might not be a bad idea to set aside a set number of crystals each week and see about getting him unlocked. He is a game changer.
  • Rapid
    421 posts Member
    Options
    what i will say for you jyn guys out there, is your team will be pretty dope if you can ever get fulcrum anywhere near arena viable.
  • Options
    Rapid wrote: »
    what i will say for you jyn guys out there, is your team will be pretty dope if you can ever get fulcrum anywhere near arena viable.

Only if Jyn's leader is zeta'd though, right?
    314-187-745 || Event Suggestions | Bounty Hunting || #JuhaniNextJune #PadméPlease
  • Options
    I have a maxed out Fulcrum. I ran a ZJyn, ZFulcrum, ZR2 and Chaze team as a test.

No it's not awesome. It's okay, but I do way more damage with a Wedge, ZFulcrum, ZR2, Chaze comp .. I even do more with a Wiggs, ZFulcrum, Chaze comp than the ZJyn setup. I also tried Cassian in ZFulcrum or ZR2's spot. Not really game changing.

On the other hand - Zjyn is the OG in rancor. Get her to 260 speed and watch her keep that rancor at bay.

ZFulcrum is great vs the pigs in P1 of rancor when you put her in a wiggs, sabine + rex comp
  • Options
    I just zeta'd Jyn's leadership and I use her in a full Rogue 1 Team (Cassian, Chaze and K-2SO) They were my B team for a while but I've recently experimented with them in the arena and they hold their own in a Dec 2015 shard. Especially since only Cassian and K2 are currently 7 stars. and K2 is only at gear level 8. I can break into the 120's in the arena which is pretty solid for a not maxed team on my shard. K2 keeps taunting and gaining protection and Chirrut keeps giving out heals which double up for extra protection under Jyn's zeta lead.

I'm F2P on a tough shard so I concentrate more on building teams that are fun to use rather than attempting to chase the meta over and over. Right now I really enjoy using this team.
  • J7Luke
    484 posts Member
    Options
    Newbie Question: How can you tell the age of your shard? I mean, I know that it is when you started playing, but I don't know when I did.
  • Arkham
    275 posts Member
    Options
    Arkham wrote: »
    @TheMegaSage

I hate to say it, but Baze and Chirrut are pretty key to a Rogue One team. Jyn and Cassian are really squishy, so having Baze, this absolutely huge tank, sitting in front of them, is important. Right now my Baze has 96k hp/protection, and he regains 3000+ protection every time he gets a buff. He's a beast, and that's not even taking into account all the heals from Chirrut.

That being said, your team is really solid. K2 is a hugely underrated tank and will actually take more hits than if you had a Baze because that taunt is pretty much always on. R2 is boss (I'm trying to talk myself into putting a zeta on him, and still might once I get him to G10).

To be honest, I'd recommend using Wedge as your lead. You get health back on crits and more health when you kill an enemy. You can still use Jyn for her other abilities, but I think until you get her a zeta and have Baze backing you up, Wedge is the way to go.

In my opinion. :)

PS
    Baze is in the shop for 50 crystals a shard now, and he's perfectly viable at 3 stars (50 shards). It might not be a bad idea to set aside a set number of crystals each week and see about getting him unlocked. He is a game changer.

@TheMegaSage
    Yeah, I need to get away from thinking that only 7* toons are viable, and just bite the bullet on using low-starred Chaze (or at least one of them) ...

Otherwise, Jyn is zeta'd already :) and I can't imagine giving up Cassian's 5+ expose hits for a little health regen from a Wedge lead. R2 is my next zeta so that I have a little cleansing ability.

I think I might actually shoot for Chirrut as my fifth. I need the extra cleansing, heals, and prot regen, and he can lay a smackdown without depending on debuffs like the rest of the team.

Thanks for the advice!
    Enthusiast of undervalued toons, general dismisser of trends,
    https://swgoh.gg/u/arkham/, A Team
  • Options
    There's a jyn lead in my shard, same age dec 15 and it's always a piece of cake usually 5-0 it. For sure more of a rancor toon. This one sounds a but different from mega sages, they use Zylo and B2. I guess the b2 is effective against Jedi and triple cleanse which is way more common than sith nowadays.
  • Options
    zJyn REQUIRES the presence of two characters to be effective: Chirrut and Cassian. As such since you need Chaze and a relatively obscure character it doesn't really fit in the current meta. Zyn is kinda like resistance, stacking exposes everywhere but horrid on D.

I run her, and love her. However once my GK is g10 she's going out. http://swgoh.gg/u/usd
  • Options
    Jyn takes forever to show up in my guild shop. Once I get her starred and geared I'll give her a try in arena. The rest of R1 I have already
  • Rapid
    421 posts Member
    Options
    I have a maxed out Fulcrum. I ran a ZJyn, ZFulcrum, ZR2 and Chaze team as a test.

No it's not awesome.

I think you missed the point of cassian's buff's at the start of battle giving fulcrum an instant whirlwind.....why don't you give that a whirl instead of R2 ;-)

• crzydroid
    7299 posts Moderator
    Options
    I just switched to Rex lead; I may give it a couple more days to see if I want to switch back to Jyn. Thing with Jyn is it's a long defensive kind of play. With Rex lead you don't get the protection back or the exposes. but you get enough turns from enemy aoe and even regular hits to make up for it. It works really well against some squads, but like someone said, I think it's the competition that drives arena setups.

She's still great as a mainstay GW lead because you can get to node 12 with almost full protection.