Did you get 7* Thrawn without buying the $100 Phoenix pack?

LeoRavus
1165 posts Member
Ok, we've all played the event versions of Phoenix. Mine got slaughtered against EP lead and they didn't seem all that great, so I didn't worry about collecting any extra shards before the Thrawn event was announced.

I'm wondering if anyone else in that situation managed to 7* Thrawn without buying the pack with 55 shards of each. We weren't given nearly enough notice to get Phoenix up in time, and I wouldn't have been able to even if I bought the pack.

Now, since for some odd reason Fracture works on raid bosses where something as simple as daze doesn't, people who didn't go full whale during the Thrawn event are at a disadvantage in raids.

Replies

• Options
    I have a 7* thrawn on a ftp account and many others do too
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    not going full whale always puts you at a disadvantage in raids if others in your guild are going full whale.
    That said, i got a 7* thrawn and i'm fully f2p.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • LeoRavus
    1165 posts Member
    Options
    Dundadarr wrote: »

Phoenix were dropped in shipments early enough to do that totally ftp? I guess I forgot exactly when they were added to GW, Arena, and Cantina. It seems like it was right before Thrawn.
  • Options
    It was. But still I got gim as ftp
  • Rlex
    160 posts Member
    Options
    Personally I didn't play because I didn't feel like going through hoops into doing the Phoenix characters for thrawn. Also I didn't feel like supporting the **** that went into this. Might regret it later. Others in my guild did play and get a full version of him. Some are fully ftp some are partially ptp but didn't contribute to any packages for anything Phoenix related cause it's ****.
  • Options
    Yes
  • Options
    got him to 7* without any of the phoenix packs, chromiums or 99$ bundle
  • Options
    Yes
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    It's called hoarding. Basically the only way to stay flexible without spending $$$.

And yes I did and I know a few others too.
  • Options
    LeoRavus wrote: »

Phoenix were dropped in shipments early enough to do that totally ftp? I guess I forgot exactly when they were added to GW, Arena, and Cantina. It seems like it was right before Thrawn.

Yes, just needed to buy at every store refresh and to have done the previous events.
  • Options
    Did anyone 7* him without shard shop help. I've been level 85 for a few weeks with only 15 7* characters. I finally eclipsed 1000 shard shop currency. Now Nihilus is gone, I'm gonna save for fulcrum.
  • Antares
    686 posts Member
    Options
    Same here. No money invested, but I spent all my saved materials....
  • Vice_torn
    599 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You needed to have saved currency and crystals and finish top of Arena... And really pushed to get the Hera and ( ) from cantina battles when drops were doubled.

Those that did get 7 star Thrawn as FTP. How many crystals did you have onhand before the events started? And how many Shards did you get from shard shop...

As a FTP without banked currency or Crystals (was pushing to farm DN from shard shop)... I found it a challenge to get 6star Thrawn dispite finishing at the top of arena most days.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Vice_torn wrote: »
    You needed to have saved currency and crystals and finish top of Arena... And really pushed to get the Hera and ( ) from cantina battles when drops were doubled.

Those that did get 7 star Thrawn as FTP. How many crystals did you have onhand before the events started?

- 300 crystals for cantina refreshes each day (missed the first day though). Too lazy to look up how many days total.
    - 200 crystals for refreshing the arena, gw and cantina (twice) store because i missed a few natural refreshes.
    - 13k shard shop currency.
  • Options
    @leef The 13k currency helped...could you have done it without that?
  • Options
    I got him 7* without spending a dime. No chromiums or shard shop either. As people said, lot of other ftp did it too
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    leef The 13k currency helped...could you have done it without that?
    @Billcarson66
    probably yes. I was short 65 shards for hera/ezra, that's roughly 13 cantina refreshes for 200 crystals a pop (if i started doing those extra refreshes in time).
    I had / have more than 2600 crystals saved up, but i probably wouldn't have tried to get thrawn 7* if i didnt also have shardshop currency saved up (and the means to buy additional shardshop currency).
  • Options
    I got him 7* without spending a dime. No chromiums or shard shop either. As people said, lot of other ftp did it too

Lot of people complained about Phoenix. Others figured it out.

It wasn't an accident that if you bought from the stores 4x per day you would have them all at 7* on the last day.
  • Platzman
    284 posts Member
    Options
    Started with over 7k crystals and lots of gear, also enough currency in all shops to buy 4x a day. But got him as F2P. Wasnt exactly easy but the more reason to be glad I managed all that.
  • Options
    i didn't have enough resources saved so I got a 6*. My guild is still far away from heroic, so i will get to raid with him once I gear him up. We just beat our first heroic pit tho, so he won't be helping me there yet.
  • theHejiN
    659 posts Member
    Options
    I was collecting more than 35k shard shop currency,
    All other shops had about 40k currency.

I used 3x100 cantina and refreshed sometimes other stores for 50cr.

But I bought the 9.99 Phoenix packs when they came out, so I had a small advantage. I also used them for two months in the GW.

Unlocking thrawn:
    https://youtu.be/rVX7PkfjZ2Q

GW with phoenix
    (hard nodes with arena team)
    https://youtu.be/enE4w2nEHng

• Karek77
    292 posts Member
    Options
    Vice_torn wrote: »

Those that did get 7 star Thrawn as FTP. How many crystals did you have onhand before the events started? And how many Shards did you get from shard shop...

As a FTP without banked currency or Crystals (was pushing to farm DN from shard shop)... I found it a challenge to get 6star Thrawn dispite finishing at the top of arena most days.

Im 100% F2P didnt not spend or buy any packs to get my 7* Thrawn not Shard Shop Currency.

I had +50k Arena Currency
    +100k cantina currency
    +15k GW currency
    +27k crystals (yes, Im 100% f2p and managed to get 27k crystals)

Did not have to refresh any of the shipments bt I did refresh cantina energy quite a lot for Hera and Ezra, some days I refreshed 5 times. Was getting 30 shards/day and wasnt even on double drop.

Had the gear to get all Phoenix to g8, but ezra to 9. As soon as I got Thrawn he was G11 and Im running him on arena which is incredibly fun.
  • Options
    LeoRavus wrote: »

Yes, just needed to buy at every store refresh and to have done the previous events.

Absolutely no
  • Options
    leef wrote: »
    not going full whale always puts you at a disadvantage in raids if others in your guild are going full whale.
    That said, i got a 7* thrawn and i'm fully f2p.

Grats!

To the OP ... Yes I have 7* thrawn and didn't use the $99 pack and I didn't buy the $10 packs when they first came out. I did hit the 2x bonus Cantina days hard and refreshed through the 400s. But that gave me Chopper shards a plenty...Zeb and Kanan were GW and arena currency. I had to use some shard shop currency to supplement on Kanan since I didnt' have much saved up, but the cost to acquire a 7* Thrawn was WAY cheaper than how DN or DK or Ahsoka were released. Players that had a good amount of shop currencies saved up could have got them practically for free.
  • Lossberg
    457 posts Member
    Options
    I bought in Grand total smth like 30 shards for hera and ezra in shard shop. I started with 30k cantina currency, and around 12k gw and arena currency. Plus 2-2.5k crystals.
  • Options
    An f2p could totally get thrawn to 7* but he needed to have quite some hoarded currrencies: all the shop currencies, enough crystals, some shard shop currency probably.

An f2p as in one who had recently started or someone who had the free shards from the event but not much more had no way to get him to 7* and not even an f2p who had only the shop currencies but not the most precious ones (shard shop/many crystals)
  • LeoRavus
    1165 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Rlex wrote: »
    Personally I didn't play because I didn't feel like going through hoops into doing the Phoenix characters for thrawn. Also I didn't feel like supporting the **** that went into this. Might regret it later. Others in my guild did play and get a full version of him. Some are fully ftp some are partially ptp but didn't contribute to any packages for anything Phoenix related cause it's ****.

I spent a lot of saved resources on Phoenix to at least unlock him. I saw no, and still so no value in Phoenix which is why I didn't bother with them previously. It seems like such a waste for one character. Obviously it was such short notice so people in my situation would spend.

I've seen him in arena fully maxed and haven't had any trouble so far. I guess his main benefit will be in raids. Just have to wait for the next event.
  • Options
    100% F2P. I had saved up currencies in the various shops (arena, GW, cantina). I also did a lot of cantina refreshes -- 3x100 every day (except the last day), and 2x200 for two double drop days and two days near the end. I finish top 5 in arena, and I try to maintain a stockpile of crystals.

I ended up using shard shop for the last 5 shards each for Hera and Ezra, but only because I didn't want to deal with the frustration of being 99/100 and going 0/10. I could've easily done it through cantina.