Speed Changes and Poe Dameron

Replies

• Preemo_Magin
    1826 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Raven wrote: »
    Nonemo wrote: »
    This is escalating so quickly, we're reaching escape velocity. This may be the first thread to walk on the moon! I'm ready and eager.

At this rate of escalation I believe we could actually travel through time and space!

We travel through space and time every microsexond of our life. You can rejoice!

• Dilligaf
    221 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    moongod wrote: »
    @Nonemo they took away the coin flip iWin button. Now you may have to use brain in game. B)

Exactly! LOL..

Of course when a 'balancing' or nerf take place, some people will like it, some will hate it.. And as usual, the ones hating the change will be more vocal.. Personally I hated Poe, don’t have, don’t want him even if he isnt 'nerf' cause as others mentioned, having the coin flip iwin hero is boring as hell..

@Nonemo, for this arguement, it is an understatement to say that 'its just -1 speed' since it is a huge deal on the attack sequence.. But is it unjust? I dont think so.. Are the devs lying? I agree with you, they are not lying, because they didnt say that the changes are final at all.. But they didnt tell the heavy Poe users the whole truth..
    Personally I dont see you defending the dev at all, but it surely ticks off some players when we try to share the positive points, when we try to be a bit optimistic and realistic, when we take the game as just a game (lightheartedly).. Welp, dont mind them.. Keep the community positive, fun, and resrouceful :)

TLDR:
    Sometimes half a truth is almost as bad as a lie, cause it mislead..
    @ea_jesse I strongly think that the dev should tell the whole changes, not just partially.. Hope CG/EA can improve on this, since the negativity and criticism is actually a lot worst than the changes/nerf it self..
    My virtual 2 cents, I dont agree that the changes to Poe is that **** hard..

It doesn't matter, gamers are dead
    Post edited by EA_Jesse on
    Roger roger
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    edited February 2016

I'm still ticked about the situation, but ^this^ has got to be the most ridiculous accusation yet. Please tell us you were kidding! (And badly.)
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • SteelersCA
    216 posts Member
    edited February 2016

Calm down there esse, no Juan is discriminating anybody now am i clear?
    (LOL's at your reply XD)

@Qeltar brah, do you even..... wait, what are you two discussing about? is this the new level of....

Now im confused

:open_mouth: [/quote]

QUOTE OF THE MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    i try to refrain from making any negative remarks, but this thread has become inane. i'm even wondering why i read some of these bizarre and inconsequential posts. yes, defend your freedom of opinion or whatever, but if you're going to quit or stop playing, why stick around and stoke the fire unless your one true aim is to disrupt the forums and use this patch as a vehicle to upset others and further upset yourself?

it's just sad, really. i don't think the devs will even read this thread because there's literally nothing constructive at all that hasn't been said in the first 2 pages. everything after is just people yelling at each other.
    mighty chlorians
  • The speed changes have to do with the speed mechanics as a whole. And it should have been done. There is no way that POE at 143 should go in front of Dooku at 161 I mean come on. Poe is still a viable option for your PVP team, you are just not going to have the instant W's against others not running POE like you did before. Get over it.

I hate when they nerf characters and/or content, I would much prefer balance with another character to a nerf. However in this instance, I agree with what they have done.

And for the record, I also went off Jesse's initial post and went for Poe myself and now he is 2MIL credits in and max purple gear, and I haven't even had a chance to use him in the Arena. But at the very least I can clear the Tank Challenge now.

Look this game, like all mobile games relies on constant grinding get used to it. Or quit and go hang on a PS4. Personally, I may do just that, since I really don't like how all of the updates are geared to helping the Whales (but that is their target mkt so you really can't blame them.)

This is like the Middle Earth. Everything was grander at the beginning. The Evil was tougher, the good was more majestic. Everything was better, as the ages increase like the Meta's you are offered less and less and are expected to just take it in the shorts. I for one like the games where the devps can't pretend they are Greek Gods meddling in the affairs of humans.

• MenaceTEC wrote: »
    This thread really should be locked.

Yes, don't let people voice their opinions.

The search function combined with someone's name can reveal there agenda quickly.

Remember "most" of what you post here is permanent for people to scrutinize.

You say that like post history is supposed to be some sort of secret, only to come off like a creeper when you point it out.

Fact is Poe was going to get a nerf, and the game is better now that he's not dominating the Arena. Cry more; it's delicious.

Edit: BTW, it's "their", smart guy.

Fact is Poe nerf had been comunicated, would go live today and would be monitored. So everything that you post is incorrect, flaming a user and missleading. Why do you need to attack spelling? The person that said "close the thread" has as a goal to silence this very sensitive topic and a very clear position. One of the things standing firm that I appreciate is that they host this forum and have rules, but have made it clear it's a joint place and community. And they consistently abide by that.

Just having a few laughs, given how seriously MenaceTEC takes this whole thing.

And what specifically did I post that was incorrect? The nerf we actually got (with regards to speed anyway) was not communicated at all, so I'm having trouble understanding your point.

"Fact is poe was going to get a nerf". It's misleading. You know why. It's a strawman. Fact is he was going to get a DIFFERENT nerf (and fair process).

Yeah, except they left the door open for further nerfs down the road. He was always going to get something like the nerf we ended up seeing, because the game as it was was completely unsustainable. That was my original point, that we all knew that the nerf we were told about wasn't going to be the end of the balance changes, because as Qeltar said, they had nothing to do with the core problem with Poe.

Furthermore, please explain in the context of that quote how it's a strawman. I'd specifically like to know what point I was forcing MenaceTEC into, that he wasn't making.

Failing that, I'd like you to define the term strawman.

After doing that, or not, I'd like you to consider ceasing in all your efforts to tone-police me. This is a moderated forum, with a mechanism for you to report posts. If I say something you don't like, just report it without all the fanfare. It's obnoxious.
  • Oh and I am one of the the ranting crowd that opines on the nerfing of content and characters. A lot of times I feel it the easy way to address issues instead of creating new content. The lazy way if you prefer. The POE nerf is minor to the GW debacle that is currently occurring. There are threads on that so I won't get in to it beyond this.

Have level 49 alt acct and it had to go up against mult opp at 56 to 60. Got obliterated. NO chance of success.
  • MeetraSurik
    313 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    moongod wrote: »
    @Nonemo they took away the coin flip iWin button. Now you may have to use brain in game. B)

Exactly! LOL..

Of course when a 'balancing' or nerf take place, some people will like it, some will hate it.. And as usual, the ones hating the change will be more vocal.. Personally I hated Poe, don’t have, don’t want him even if he isnt 'nerf' cause as others mentioned, having the coin flip iwin hero is boring as hell..

@Nonemo, for this arguement, it is an understatement to say that 'its just -1 speed' since it is a huge deal on the attack sequence.. But is it unjust? I dont think so.. Are the devs lying? I agree with you, they are not lying, because they didnt say that the changes are final at all.. But they didnt tell the heavy Poe users the whole truth..
    Personally I dont see you defending the dev at all, but it surely ticks off some players when we try to share the positive points, when we try to be a bit optimistic and realistic, when we take the game as just a game (lightheartedly).. Welp, dont mind them.. Keep the community positive, fun, and resrouceful :)

TLDR:
    Sometimes half a truth is almost as bad as a lie, cause it mislead..
    @ea_jesse I strongly think that the dev should tell the whole changes, not just partially.. Hope CG/EA can improve on this, since the negativity and criticism is actually a lot worst than the changes/nerf it self..
    My virtual 2 cents, I dont agree that the changes to Poe is that **** hard..

LOL just refreshed.

Preemo_Magin IRL:
    wnIaRyJ.gif
  • Nonemo wrote: »
    You really believe that?
    They knew EXACTLY what they were doing after assigning 143 to him. IT WAS NOT A MISTAKE. Nothing is at this level of few million dollar product.

Mistakes are always made. For example, this whole thread started with Jesse telling us about how they made one.
    BTW, posted topic: "after getting prize in your time zone, put up your B-team and allow more people to have rewards from different time zones"... DELETED BY MODS!
    CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?!
    They would stoop so low that is to delete post that would allow more people to get rewards... good capitalists I suppose.

The same amount of rewards goes out every day. It's not like spots 3, 5 and 14 are ever empty because somebody lost a battle. Maybe there was some other reason your post was removed?

Nope. Every time zone has rewards at different times. It is based on your initial install time zone. If you reset device and choose pacific time zone being in eastern, it will place you in a same server, exception being, your reward time will be at 9pm eastern time. There are few time zone rewards per server. I know it is at least three, however, could be more...
    The point being, it is their job to lie. If you think any improvement is not to make MORE MONEY, you are naive and deluding yourself.
    Poe was meant to provide competition to whales. With Poe, F2P players could defeat biggest whale. At first good, however you see where it is going? All those who commented against Poe are either company employees, new players, have not taken time to understand old system of turn meter fill up to 1000... you get the idea
  • SteelersCA wrote: »
    I for one like the games where the devps can't pretend they are Greek Gods meddling in the affairs of humans.

Well said my friend.
    MenaceTEC wrote: »

The search function combined with someone's name can reveal there agenda quickly.

You say that like post history is supposed to be some sort of secret, only to come off like a creeper when you point it out.

Fact is Poe was going to get a nerf, and the game is better now that he's not dominating the Arena. Cry more; it's delicious.

Fact is Poe nerf had been comunicated, would go live today and would be monitored. So everything that you post is incorrect, flaming a user and missleading. Why do you need to attack spelling? The person that said "close the thread" has as a goal to silence this very sensitive topic and a very clear position. One of the things standing firm that I appreciate is that they host this forum and have rules, but have made it clear it's a joint place and community. And they consistently abide by that.

And what specifically did I post that was incorrect? The nerf we actually got (with regards to speed anyway) was not communicated at all, so I'm having trouble understanding your point.

"Fact is poe was going to get a nerf". It's misleading. You know why. It's a strawman. Fact is he was going to get a DIFFERENT nerf (and fair process).

Yeah, except they left the door open for further nerfs down the road. He was always going to get something like the nerf we ended up seeing, because the game as it was was completely unsustainable. That was my original point, that we all knew that the nerf we were told about wasn't going to be the end of the balance changes, because as Qeltar said, they had nothing to do with the core problem with Poe.

Furthermore, please explain in the context of that quote how it's a strawman. I'd specifically like to know what point I was forcing MenaceTEC into, that he wasn't making.

After doing that, or not, I'd like you to consider ceasing in all your efforts to tone-police me. This is a moderated forum, with a mechanism for you to report posts. If I say something you don't like, just report it without all the fanfare. It's obnoxious.

@MeetraSurik let me do something to depart in absolute peace. You and capital games are right. I was likely wrong. There. Now enjoy the game a lot. Since I won't be around, you guys make it work and try to have as much fun as you can. I'll maybe keep on reading how things gonfor you all out of curiosity.

Remember that those that feel CG owes them something are also likely right as well. It doesn't matter much in the larger scheme of life.

PS: for the last piece, the Hispanics (or any minority) can read things as I say. I am NOT under the impression it had anything to do with the nerf. The nerf was to allow for a new Jedi era of happiness until the next wave comes. Keep riding.

Farewell

• Why would you need to nerf him if you fixed the speed issues. People were only really complaining about how he could make all glass cannons go before an entire team. @EA_Jesse @CG_JohnSalera

• MeetraSurik
    313 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    SteelersCA wrote: »
    I for one like the games where the devps can't pretend they are Greek Gods meddling in the affairs of humans.

Well said my friend.

@MeetraSurik let me do something to depart in absolute peace. You and capital games are right. I was likely wrong. There. Now enjoy the game a lot. Since I won't be around, you guys make it work and try to have as much fun as you can. I'll maybe keep on reading how things gonfor you all out of curiosity.

Remember that those that feel CG owes them something are also likely right as well. It doesn't matter much in the larger scheme of life.

PS: for the last piece, the Hispanics (or any minority) can read things as I say. I am NOT under the impression it had anything to do with the nerf. The nerf was to allow for a new Jedi era of happiness until the next wave comes. Keep riding.

Farewell

We both know you're going to keep posting on these forums, and you'll probably keep playing, too.

Like I said before, everyone that rode the Poe hype train got tons of rewards for it while he was OP, so whatever you or anyone else thinks CG "owes" you exists solely in your respective heads.

Feel free to take your ball and go home, though. Nobody put a gun to your head, after all. If you do end up sticking around, though, I'd still love for you to explain what a strawman is.
  • Keyzer_Soze
    117 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    EA_Jesse wrote: »
    Speed and how this version has affected it across the board:
    • Speed, prior to this update, was not incredibly precise (hence the grouping of units of close Speed characters into a Tier).
    • Speed is now very precise and 1 point of Speed over another character guarantees the initial turn order.
    • Only in the case of an exact tie is it a coin toss.

Poe Dameron’s balancing changes were made by changing equipment pieces at Gear Lvl II and Gear Lvl III. This was done to avoid as much disruption as possible for players working toward completion of higher Gear Lvls. We aim to make targeted changes such as this as to not directly change the statistics of Gear items as that affects numerous characters who share it.

Due to this targeted approach, the goal was to address his high amount of Tenacity, additional stats were affected – both positively and negatively. These totals are provided at the end of this post.

We value the developer and community relationship but mistakes will happen on both sides when it comes to communication. We’re in this together to make Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes the best game it can be.

With that said, the following are all very important aspects to developing the game:
    • Balance changes will happen. Some popular, some not. It’s a double-edged sword where one side of the fence is pleased and the other is upset.
    • Going forward, if we make a targeted change like this, we will aim to detail out the full and complete change to all statistics. This was our mistake and we own up to that. It was not intended to be a stealth nerf.

Due to the missed communication of Poe, here’s what we’re doing:
    • We’re going to let all of his balance changes remain as they exist today but will keep a close eye on how he’s performing and address accordingly.

The following statistics breakdown is the entirety of changes that affected Poe Dameron at level 70 and his absolute maximum gear level:
    • -23 Strength
    • +15 Agility
    • -7 Intelligence
    • -1 Speed
    • -444 Health
    • +5% Health Steal
    • -15% Tenacity
    • +31 Physical Damage
    • +9 Armor
    • +6 Physical Critical Rating
    • -29 Special Damage

My gripe about this message is as follows.

I don't care that Poes speed was changed. I care that the changes in the very first part of your message regarding how speed would work post update were not told to users beforehand in the notes.

I don't care whether that type of information is communicated vaguely or exactly, just that it's communicated. A simple "Speed will become more precise when determining initial turn order" would have sufficed.

I don't care whether patch notes are even given at all, but if they are, they need to be exactly as stated, and definitely not leave out important changes to game mechanics. Even if the notes about the changes are vague, at least include them.

I don't care about UI changes, you won't see too many people complaining about those, it's the game mechanics that matter. Include them in the notes if you like, but they aren't game changing.

I do care about backhanded apologies. The word sorry needed to be included in your message, plain and simple. Calling it a miscommunication, and then qualifying it with a "but both sides make them" is disingenuous. You make the game, you make the mistakes. We are only here for feedback.

As you stated, we understand your job is a difficult one and that pleasing everyone is impossible. That includes the player base, but also your boss, their boss, other people from other companies like EA and Disney, all of whom have different agendas. Some, if not most, will be most concerned with revenue, as they should. As the stuck-in-the-middle guy and the face of the game on this forum, perhaps you could communicate to them that we here on the forum should be taken with a grain of salt in most matters, but with respect to notes for future updates, less is better. We don't need 11 1/2 pages of specifics. In this case, less would definitely have been better.

For instance, the update notes could have been as follows; in a one page release.

- There's a new event coming! The most requested character, Yoda, can be unlocked by having 5 5star Jedi! Get Yoda to 7stars with 5 7star Jedi! This is just the first of a whole new series of events that require every decision you make to be key to acquiring these powerful characters!

- There will be a brand new Chromium exclusive character available for each event, opening up a whole new level of gameplay!

- Speed will become more precise when determining initial turn order. Every speed point counts!

- The user interface has been revamped. You will now be able to see more information about how your characters are progressing, what gear pieces they need and where to get them, and even information about the teams you'll face in the arena!

- Many characters, including P. Cameron, Phasma, FOTP, Leia, Windu, Savage Oppress, Talia, Assaji, will be adjusted to balance gameplay.

That's it, that's all you had to say.
  • SteelersCA wrote: »

Well said my friend.

Farewell

We both know you're going to keep posting on these forums, and you'll probably keep playing, too.

Like I said before, everyone that rode the Poe hype train got tons of rewards for it while he was OP, so whatever you or anyone else thinks CG "owes" you exists solely in your respective heads.

Feel free to take your ball and go home, though. Nobody put a gun to your head, after all. If you do end up sticking around, though, I'd still love for you to explain what a strawman is.

@MeetraSurik to make you even happier (and I am not being sarcastic) you are likely very correct in everything you say. I said I'll keep an eue on the forum. I would gift my account the secong CG tell me I can name my Ally Code and recipient. But it diesn't matter much.

It's also true nobody kicked me and that you won't miss me...there are thousands of us here. Forget about the strawman, you were right and I was maybe trying to pass as smart. Sorry. THERE.

Now go and enjoy the game a lot like I know you do.

Be well!
  • EA_Jesse wrote: »
    • Speed, prior to this update, was not incredibly precise (hence the grouping of units of close Speed characters into a Tier).
    • Speed is now very precise and 1 point of Speed over another character guarantees the initial turn order.

Poe Dameron’s balancing changes were made by changing equipment pieces at Gear Lvl II and Gear Lvl III. This was done to avoid as much disruption as possible for players working toward completion of higher Gear Lvls. We aim to make targeted changes such as this as to not directly change the statistics of Gear items as that affects numerous characters who share it.

Due to this targeted approach, the goal was to address his high amount of Tenacity, additional stats were affected – both positively and negatively. These totals are provided at the end of this post.

We value the developer and community relationship but mistakes will happen on both sides when it comes to communication. We’re in this together to make Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes the best game it can be.

With that said, the following are all very important aspects to developing the game:
    • Balance changes will happen. Some popular, some not. It’s a double-edged sword where one side of the fence is pleased and the other is upset.
    • Going forward, if we make a targeted change like this, we will aim to detail out the full and complete change to all statistics. This was our mistake and we own up to that. It was not intended to be a stealth nerf.

• We’re going to let all of his balance changes remain as they exist today but will keep a close eye on how he’s performing and address accordingly.

The following statistics breakdown is the entirety of changes that affected Poe Dameron at level 70 and his absolute maximum gear level:
    • -23 Strength
    • +15 Agility
    • -7 Intelligence
    • -1 Speed
    • -444 Health
    • +5% Health Steal
    • -15% Tenacity
    • +31 Physical Damage
    • +9 Armor
    • -29 Special Damage

I don't care that Poes speed was changed. I care that the changes in the very first part of your message regarding how speed would work post update were not told to users beforehand in the notes.

I don't care whether that type of information is communicated vaguely or exactly, just that it's communicated. A simple "Speed will become more precise when determining initial turn order" would have sufficed.

I don't care whether patch notes are even given at all, but if they are, they need to be exactly as stated, and definitely not leave out important changes to game mechanics. Even if the notes about the changes are vague, at least include them.

I don't care about UI changes, you won't see too many people complaining about those, it's the game mechanics that matter. Include them in the notes if you like, but they aren't game changing.

I do care about backhanded apologies. The word sorry needed to be included in your message, plain and simple. Calling it a miscommunication, and then qualifying it with a "but both sides make them" is disingenuous. You make the game, you make the mistakes. We are only here for feedback.

As you stated, we understand your job is a difficult one and that pleasing everyone is impossible. That includes the player base, but also your boss, their boss, other people from other companies like EA and Disney, all of whom have different agendas. Some, if not most, will be most concerned with revenue, as they should. As the stuck-in-the-middle guy and the face of the game on this forum, perhaps you could communicate to them that we here on the forum should be taken with a grain of salt in most matters, but with respect to notes for future updates, less is better. We don't need 11 1/2 pages of specifics. In this case, less would definitely have been better.

For instance, the update notes could have been as follows; in a one page release.

- There's a new event coming! The most requested character, Yoda, can be unlocked by having 5 5star Jedi! Get Yoda to 7stars with 5 7star Jedi! This is just the first of a whole new series of events that require every decision you make to be key to acquiring these powerful characters!

- There will be a brand new Chromium exclusive character available for each event, opening up a whole new level of gameplay!

- Speed will become more precise when determining initial turn order. Every speed point counts!

- The user interface has been revamped. You will now be able to see more information about how your characters are progressing, what gear pieces they need and where to get them, and even information about the teams you'll face in the arena!

- Many characters, including P. Cameron, Phasma, FOTP, Leia, Windu, Savage Oppress, will be adjusted to balance gameplay.

I agreed with everything in this post up until you said that less information is better. The release we got would've been fine if it'd included the speed change.

For example, the change to Talia would've led some people who have benched her to take her off of it, since her AI is less dumb now. There are those that would've benefited from this information, but you would've had them left out in the cold.
  • EA_Jesse wrote: »

• -23 Strength
    • +15 Agility
    • -7 Intelligence
    • -1 Speed
    • -444 Health
    • +5% Health Steal
    • -15% Tenacity
    • +31 Physical Damage
    • +9 Armor
    • -29 Special Damage

- Many characters, including P. Cameron, Phasma, FOTP, Leia, Windu, Savage Oppress, will be adjusted to balance gameplay.

I agreed with everything in this post up until you said that less information is better. The release we got would've been fine if it'd included the speed change.

For example, the change to Talia would've led some people who have benched her to take her off of it, since her AI is less dumb now. There are those that would've benefited from this information, but you would've had them left out in the cold.

We can nitpick all we want. I'll add her name to my post. Also the other name I can't type, assaji?
  • Closing this thread.
    Community Manager for Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes | Follow me on Twitter - Darokaz
This discussion has been closed.