how to decide between mod farming vs character shards?

M_L
469 posts Member
I have a pretty ok roster at this point and have spent about a few weeks (prior to the Thrawn event lead in) just getting mods.

i'm wondering how other people decide when to pause mod farming and go back to shard farming with cantina energy?

the more i farm mods the more i feel like getting the ever slightly better speed secondaries is just so very unlikley. i'm pretty sure i've got over 1000 mods and still haven't hit a single speed secondary of over 20. In fact i only have 3 that's +15 or more... so farming more mods just feels resulting in like increasingly diminished returns.

On the other hand, at the moment i can land in top 10 every day, despite my mediocore mods, so maybe working on another toon is ok 'cause of that?

would appreciate some opinions

Replies

• Pyrimis
    269 posts Member
    Options
    I don't think you actually can get speed secondaries about 20
  • Options
    I haven't farmed mods in a while. It seems my best mods came from shipments, using crystals to refresh 6x daily.
  • M_L
    469 posts Member
    Options
    @Pyrimis, oh really? well maybe it's just my arena shard is full of people with secondaries for speed in the high teens on all 5 mods where that's available then? oh my i wonder how many mods they must have farmed to get to about 25 mods with speed secondaries in the teens....
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    I tend to farm a character to 7, then farm mods for a week straight--sell any chaff, keep anything that might be useful. Then back to a character.

Unless I hit a point where I don't super need any characters (like right before Phoenix Squad and Death Trooper etc were put into nodes) then I just pick a character and really focus in on getting them the most optimal mods.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    A guild mate bought a mod in the store recently with a speed secondary and it rolled to 21 so it's still possible. I've spent the last month or so finishing farming SA and Sith Trooper from Cantina with only the odd mod farm here and there. Now they are both 7* I'm spending the next couple of weeks trying to improve my mods and just doing the odd farm of Death Trooper along the way. It's a hard slog though, out of a week of farming I've got about 3 usable mods, none of the speed was particularly high on any of them.
  • M_L
    469 posts Member
    Options
    one of the reasons why i don't even bother farming toons is the gear crunch, ha. Tho i'm now eyeing farming DT... most of the time i ask myself, yeah but wouldn't i rather max out my resistance, or work on clones, or finish up Aayla, or a variety of other priorities... sigh. At least with Mods, once one gets a good one, it'll remain useful for quite a while
  • Cloud24
    206 posts Member
    Options
    mods make you or they break you
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Cloud24 wrote: »
    mods make you or they break you
    My mommy and daddy made me.
    Admins broke me.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    I farmed mods in February the whole month. Got 2 usefull secondaries and 9 speed arrows. That's 2x refresh every day with littlw to nothing to show for it. I hesitate even lvl in a gold mod with speed because mine usually won't even hit speed once. I have many 3-5 speed mods that started that way.
  • Options
    I farm mods and mods until I need a char to build a team. Right now it's Finn( was Ezra and hera to 5*) soon as I'm done will go back to mods until I can +100 entire arena team with appropriate mods.
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    Options
    Random for now. I can spend 3 refreshes just for getting shards and either way to get mods. I've just 7* Ezra and will now finish DT (64/100). He's the last toon I want for now in cantina, so I'll only farm mods afterward.
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options
    Pyrimis wrote: »
    Max speed on a secondary is 29.
    The initial value can be 1-5, and upgrades can be 1-6. So a gold level 1 mod with 5 speed could potentially roll all four upgrades as speed, giving up to 6 each time, for 5+6+6+6+6=29.
    swgoh.gg profile: Pyrefly -- Check out my Galactic Power Tables and my TB Phase Info Tables !!
  • Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    Options
    I do 3 refresheson mods and natural energyon toons. I have many 7* G7 so I don't have any pressure on farming them. Moreover DT or Kylo are not required to survive in arena.
  • Options
    Pyrefly wrote: »
    The initial value can be 1-5, and upgrades can be 1-6. So a gold level 1 mod with 5 speed could potentially roll all four upgrades as speed, giving up to 6 each time, for 5+6+6+6+6=29.

However, to give some perspective on how rare it is, only 1 person registered to swgoh.gg has a 28 speed mod, and nobody registered to swgoh.gg has a 29.

Now while swgoh.gg isn't every player in the game, it's a pretty good cross section.
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options
    Pyrefly wrote: »

However, to give some perspective on how rare it is, only 1 person registered to swgoh.gg has a 28 speed mod, and nobody registered to swgoh.gg has a 29.

Now while swgoh.gg isn't every player in the game, it's a pretty good cross section.
    Well, I'd point out the swgoh.gg only knows about mods that are actually equipped on a character, but if anyone had a 29 speed secondary, I'd guess it's not going to sitting in their cache.
    Secondly, how do you know that only one 28 speed exists without searching each player's mods individually?
    swgoh.gg profile: Pyrefly -- Check out my Galactic Power Tables and my TB Phase Info Tables !!
  • plindboe
    281 posts Member
    Options
    M_L wrote: »
    i'm pretty sure i've got over 1000 mods and still haven't hit a single speed secondary of over 20. In fact i only have 3 that's +15 or more...

Only? I've farmed countless mods as well, and my highest is 14. Sounds to me like you're doing pretty well. :)
  • evanbio
    1505 posts Member
    Options
    I alternate each month. Right now, I'm going back to some toons that are useful that I've never farmed. Ol Ben currently. Then B2 will be next. I want to get them to at least 5*, then won't bother much until I get them geared up.
  • Tiggus
    766 posts Member
    Options
    When you're tired of the frustration of getting no character shard for a full 100 crystal refresh, you can switch it to the one of getting only garbage mods for the same price, that keeps your phone from hitting a wall at high speed.

If I need a specific character for a reason (Phoenix to 5* last month, Sith Assassin for my Arena team), I farm Cantina. Otherwise, I lazily make mod challenges and keep my expectations very low, and don't refresh energy.
    I don't do cantina characters "just because" (like Aayla), because of no gear to level them anyway.
    ☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/
  • Options
    Do both.