Training Droids Hunt Tier I is probably a lot better than you think

Eris_Discordant
223 posts Member
edited February 2016
At least, I'm assuming you think it's terrible.
  • XP Received from Shipment Droids = 21,000
  • Shipment Droids cost = 60 crystals
  • 60 crystals converted into energy at 120 energy for 50 crystals* = 144 energy**
  • Cost of Training Droids Hunt = 20 energy
  • 144 energy / 20 = 7.2 Hunt missions for 60 crystals
  • Hunt missions yield 1800 XP guaranteed
  • 7.2 Hunts x 1800 XP = 12,960 XP
  • Difference between Shipment Droids and Hunt Droids 21,000 - 12,960 XP
  • Difference = 8,040 XP
  • Hunt missions have a chance to yield 3x multiplier, that is 2x more XP than base award, or +3600 XP
  • 8040 XP / 3600 XP = 2.233333 times per 7.2 hunts you need to win the bonus award
  • 2.23333 / 7.2 = 31%
  • Meaning if every 7.2 times you try the Droid Hunt, you average 2.23 bonus awards--or 31% of the time--you get the same value from the Droid Hunt

So all we need to know is the bonus award rate. If it's around 1 in 3, then the Droid Hunt is perfectly fine.

Also remember that it's easy to get 20 energy but it's much harder to get crystals. If you find crystals hard to come by, then Droid Hunt is preferable.

If you like to gamble with the game's RNG, Droid Hunt is also preferable.

If you have plenty of crystals and need your energy for gear, or hate RNG, then you should choose Shipments.

* Plus sim tickets which I'm not factoring
** This also doesn't take into account the fact that converting crystals to energy becomes more costly if done multiple times in one day

Replies

• Eris_Discordant
    223 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm not level 70 (and can't see it), but I'm going to assume that Tier 2 is easily the better option over Shipments.*

A level 70 post of the awards would be fantastic. TYIA.

* Unless Shipment droids improve at level 70...?
  • Stodie
    45 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    • 60 crystals converted into energy at 120 energy for 50 crystals* = 144 energy**
    • Difference = 8,040 XP
    • Hunt missions have a chance to yield 3x multiplier, that is 2x more XP than base award, or +3600 XP
    • 8040 XP / 3600 XP = 2.233333 times per 7.2 hunts you need to win the bonus award
    • 2.23333 / 7.2 = 31%
    • Meaning if every 7.2 times you try the Droid Hunt, you average 2.23 bonus awards--or 31% of the time--you get the same value from the Droid Hunt

So all we need to know is the bonus award rate. If it's around 1 in 3, then the Droid Hunt is perfectly fine.

Also remember that it's easy to get 20 energy but it's much harder to get crystals. If you find crystals hard to come by, then Droid Hunt is preferable.

If you have plenty of crystals and need your energy for gear, or hate RNG, then you should choose Shipments.

** This also doesn't take into account the fact that converting crystals to energy becomes more costly if done multiple times in one day

It's not 1/3; and something in your math looks off but I'm about to go to bed and can't look to closely at it. Also, this is only for people at 70 which many, many are not at. Trying to train tier 1 rewards for level 50-69 is an exercise in futility.

Also, the issue is that it's a step backwards from the original keycard with regards to XP vs Energy ratio so the shipment analogy is irrelevant. People feel like the original ratio was better; and while most reasonable people understand there is going to be a nerf due to 20 energy per run the nerf was too extreme.

The other factor is that it's pretty much irrelevant if it's available 24 hours. People are only going to invest a certain amount of energy into an event per day because resources are limited. Besides; having it available at all times will only encourage people to buy crystals if they have a need to train characters if they feel the investment is worth the reward.

However, EA has lost me as a paying customer because the price to train characters is now so preposterously high that I simply can't afford it. Maybe that's ok with them and they are only going to try and go after the high rollers at this point....time will tell if that is a good strategy but I think it's safe to say that the current training droid hunt is a far worse deal than it was previously. I'd rather have the old system back.

• Options
    Stodie wrote: »
    • Difference = 8,040 XP
    • 2.23333 / 7.2 = 31%

It's not 1/3; and something in your math looks off but I'm about to go to bed and can't look to closely at it. Also, this is only for people at 70 which many, many are not at. Trying to train tier 1 rewards for level 50-69 is an exercise in futility.

Also, the issue is that it's a step backwards from the original keycard with regards to XP vs Energy ratio so the shipment analogy is irrelevant. People feel like the original ratio was better; and while most reasonable people understand there is going to be a nerf due to 20 energy per run the nerf was too extreme.

The other factor is that it's pretty much irrelevant if it's available 24 hours. People are only going to invest a certain amount of energy into an event per day because resources are limited. Besides; having it available at all times will only encourage people to buy crystals if they have a need to train characters if they feel the investment is worth the reward.

However, EA has lost me as a paying customer because the price to train characters is now so preposterously high that I simply can't afford it. Maybe that's ok with them and they are only going to try and go after the high rollers at this point....time will tell if that is a good strategy but I think it's safe to say that the current training droid hunt is a far worse deal than it was previously. I'd rather have the old system back.

^^^^^

I totally agree. Greed!!!! They f****d up a perfectly good thing. Now you have to spend $50 a week to
    Level up characters.
  • Options
    still better off farming the tables
  • Eris_Discordant
    223 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I totally agree. Greed!!!! They f****d up a perfectly good thing. Now you have to spend $50 a week to Level up characters.

How do you have to spend $50 a week when it costs 20 energy? (Or you can use 60 crystals for 7 lvl 5 droids, of course.)

They give you 135 energy per day more than they did before the update.
    That's 47.25 free Training Droid Hunt missions per week versus the old Mining/Droid Keycard system.

I'm not saying this system is great, but I don't see $50 coming into play, let alone weekly.

A level is only about a 1% improvement in stats, you can get by not fully leveling everyone all the time. Just your A(rena) team and maybe a couple A- or B+ guys for Galactic War. So 5 at a minimum, 10 at most. And obviously eventually you hit the level cap with those characters...

I'm not here to defend EA, I'm just saying that mathematically, maybe the Droid Hunt isn't as bad as everyone thinks.
    ["Not bad" isn't the same as "good," but it's something.]
  • Options
    As I said in the OP with the very big "IF" -- it all depends on the bonus rate (as well as RNG, of course). Here's a breakdown of that.

Base rate for Training Droid Hunt Tier I
    Bonus	Bonus	Total	
    Rate	XP	XP	
    0%	0	12960	
    5%	1296	14256	
    10%	2592	15552	
    15%	3888	16848	
    20%	5184	18144	
    25%	6480	19440	
    30%	7776	20736	<-- All of the above are worse than Shipments droids
    31%	8040	21000	<-- Equal to Shipments
    35%	9072	22032	<-- Better than Shipments

* Again, I don't know what Tier 2 looks like, but it's obviously got to be better.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    I preffer to spend that energy in lvl 7 hard battles. Lot of Droids, plus credits, gesr, and chsracter shards
  • Ptolemy
    105 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The thing is, everyone uses 50 crystal refreshes for gear, you would be stupid not to. The relevant comparison is using 100 crystal refreshes, or for the people who do well enough in squad arena, 200 crystal refreshes. Here, the event becomes much worse

Also, think about the limiter on the refreshes. To get a meaningful amount of droids you need to do them many many times. Which means your energy refreshes get more costly.

Take me for example, as someone on the crystal sub who ranks well in arena, i refresh energy 2 x 50 and 2 x 100 for hard modes and gear.

Lets say i needed training droids(i don't, credits are the real bottleneck) to level up a character from level 60 to 63 in a day.

That is 45000 exp
    Building in a 25% multiplier chance which i think is about right, if not slightly generous
    Exp per droid hunt = 2700
    Battles required = 16.67 (17)
    Energy required = 333.33 (340)
    So i would need to refresh 3 times. The cost of that would be 500 crystals. Sure, i would actually get 48600 exp all up if i used all the energy

That comes out to 97.2 exp per crystal using this method

On the other hand, buying 3 Droid shipments costs 180 Crystals, and would get me 63000 exp.

Thats 350 exp per crystal.

So either way you look at it, in terms of crystals needed to complete the task(180v500) or xp per crystal spent to complete the task(350 vs 97.2) the shipments are far superior in an everyday situation.

Even if the cost of refreshes was only 300, shipments is still far cheaper.

Make sure you put your maths into context/practical examples rather than just a printout of numbers. I see you acknowledged rising crystal costs, but its worthy of more than just a qualifier, the numbers are irrelevant if the assumptions are just not realistic.

• Song
    863 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Not sure if it worth it. Maybe I got a bad day. Since it was my first try it came with 2 Crystals and one of each training Droid.. I think you better off use on those 16 energy node.

24 Energy
    8HXQHUl.png

16 Energy Node / 4C Hard
    HQSI65a.png
  • Options
    Does anyone ever get the 3x multiplier on the training droids? I have done it quite a few times wasting 24:energy cause I was hoping to get the droids b/c I was pushing an arena character to 70.Never one did I receive the bonus.Just wondering if anyone else ever has or are you in the same boat as me?
  • Options
    Disagree, when you use energy for the battles you get other rewards not only droids so I rather spend energy on farming shards or gears while getting droids than use energy to get only droids, plus the x3 chance is very slow I tried many times and just got 2 times the x3 so I notice it wasn't worth at all