Power Rating changes update megathread

Prev13456789
Vampire_X
1435 posts Moderator
edited June 2017
Clarification: @CG_RyDiggs here:

Regarding Galactic War match making:
  • We're not yet currently using the new Power values for Galactic War matchmaking.
  • We've only changed the number displayed to players. We're still using the old system with the old values.
  • We'll let you know if/when we switch to using the new numbers for matchmaking.

"Insert cool kozispoon meme here"
POWER CHANGES

Hiya! You peep that update? What's up with that? Well read on, dear reader, read on!

The Power rating has long been a prominent display of a unit's general effectiveness. Though this rating is intended to be a useful way to quickly identify how strong a unit is, it has become less and less effective for this purpose over time. This is primarily due to the formula being based entirely on the raw base stats of the unit, which doesn't account for its utility, ability levels, or synergies. Furthermore, higher gear tiers that have been added since launch, as well as the existence of mods, have resulted in large gaps in Power rating even between units that are similarly effective in combat, simply due to the way that certain stats are weighted relative to others in the formula.

In the interest of making the Power formula more reliable as a reference point for a unit/ship's effectiveness, we’ve modified the formula to recognize every upgrade made to a unit. Here are some of the changes coming:

Power now includes every form of unit upgrade including:
  • Characters: Level, Gear pieces, Mod tier and upgrades, Ability upgrades, and Star rating
  • Ships: Level, Ability upgrades, Crew Power, and Star Rating (which acts as a multiplier on Crew Power, just like it does for stats)
The value of any one of these upgrades will be the same for all units (e.g., raising a unit to level 85 will be worth the same amount of Power for all units.)
Units earn power for every upgrade and earn more power from higher tier upgrades. e.g.:
  • Upgrading from Level 40->41 is less valuable than Level 80->81
  • A tier X piece of gear is worth much more Power than a tier V piece of gear
  • A level 5 ability upgrade is worth less than a level 8 ability upgrade
  • One special case is that a Zeta ability upgrade at level 8 is worth much more than an Omega ability upgrade of the same level.

Due to the way the new Power formula scales, the Power ratings of your units will generally be as high or higher than the Power rating you saw before (with the exception of ships with very few upgrades on the crew or the ship itself, which will be noticeably lower until the crew has a few upgrades.) As a reminder, the Power stat is not used to drive any battle functionality whatsoever--it is purely intended to be a reference point--but we still feel these updates are important to help players better evaluate the improvements they're making to their units, and how effective their units are relative to potential opponents.
Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
Post edited by Kozispoon on

Replies

• Hopefully only the Android users won't be getting these power increases. Still waiting for the iOS update...
  • TurgonGW
    205 posts Member
    Fantastic.

Is that it then? Literally a change to power ratings and nothing else ^__^

SWGoH - TurgonGW
    Guild - Starchoppers - Feel free to help us in the Raids!
  • Riffinator
    2586 posts Member
    I personally like this change it makes my three stars more viable
    "ARE WE BLIND? DEPLOY THE GARRISON."
  • Tatebomb
    797 posts Member
    TurgonGW wrote: »
    Fantastic.

But they are super excited about it. I mean they are giving the people what they want right?
  • Kitch
    171 posts Member
    Aka GW fix?
  • TurgonGW
    205 posts Member
    Tatebomb wrote: »
    Fantastic.

But they are super excited about it. I mean they are giving the people what they want right?

I think its a cool update, but am hoping that there is more to come imminently is what I mean lol

SWGoH - TurgonGW
    Guild - Starchoppers - Feel free to help us in the Raids!
  • thats it? :/
  • Tatebomb
    797 posts Member
    Tatebomb wrote: »
    Fantastic.

I think its a cool update, but am hoping that there is more to come imminently is what I mean lol

I'm being sarcastic. If this is it they once again have failed.
  • Yes! Now my weak squad looks outstanding vs people who don't have or haven't updated their account yet.
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Kitch wrote: »
    Aka GW fix?

Nope, power still affects GW the same as before
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • If this is the update that we've been waiting for this week, I'm going to flip out...
  • TAZZZOOO
    245 posts Member
    This update is a personal fav of kozi? Buzzkill...
  • Tatebomb
    797 posts Member
    If this is the update that we've been waiting for this week, I'm going to flip out...

Why? They haven't let us down before......oh wait.....
  • Cloud24
    206 posts Member
  • Kitch
    171 posts Member
    tRRRey wrote: »
    Aka GW fix?

Yes, the GW calculation remains the same, but the inputs are different.
  • Darknessie
    364 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Check your ships rating now too. roll on GW tomorrow.
  • Tatebomb wrote: »
    If this is the update that we've been waiting for this week, I'm going to flip out...

Well apparently a personal favorite update is changes to power on squads
  • This should be interesting. I highly doubt it took 91MB to change the power ratings. Let's wait and see.
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    If I understood that correctly power measurement will still be way of on several toons, but I hope it's just because they paid so much attention to it that it would be impossible to explain the whole new power calculations
    At least people who hasn't gotten any Zetas yet, shouldn't face multiple Zeta toons in their GW
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • Has anyone else noticed the animations are seriously out of whack? Boba now shoots a bright pink laser and ship battles are horrible with all the extra flashes
  • This should be interesting. I highly doubt it took 91MB to change the power ratings. Let's wait and see.

Power ratings are a false flag operation to sneak great new functions in!
  • kejmo
    213 posts Member
    You're forgetting about purple attack/move/something animations :smiley:

Explains the MB's :smiley:
  • KyloRey
    871 posts Member
    Aka GW fix?

Yeah, I'm guessing these power calculation changes will result in GW not being so crazy for some people.

Seems like Zeta'd toons will have much higher power numbers so players without Zeta'd toons will be probably not have to face them as much in GW. Just a guess.
  • kejmo
    213 posts Member
    KyloRey wrote: »
    Aka GW fix?

Yeah, I'm guessing these power calculation changes will result in GW not being so crazy for some people.

Seems like Zeta'd toons will have much higher power numbers so players without Zeta'd toons will be probably not have to face them as much in GW. Just a guess.

I saved my gw for guild activities. Starting fresh. Will inform you about results in few minutes.
  • It's an android exclusive game mode. No update for iOS

Kozi has already said this isn't the update to which she was referring.

Kozi has already said this isn't the update to which she was referring.

That wasn't mentioned in the said update about power ratings.
  • LtGenStu
    234 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Wow people calm down it is not a game update, but a developer update!
  • Anyone else having really slow portrait refresh on arena teams?
  • A lot of hate for something so minor.