Power Rating changes update megathread

Replies

• Dretzle
    716 posts Member
    107 MB for a change to the power ratings?
  • Arkham
    275 posts Member
    I still can't even see the update in Google Play.
    Enthusiast of undervalued toons, general dismisser of trends,
    https://swgoh.gg/u/arkham/, A Team
  • Why is everyone so thick? If you come on here you should be able to deduce that this is the first part of what is about to be a massive update. People get so antsy/crazy/negative. Everyone just relax. EA and CG love this cash cow property and do throw resources at it. We are about to get lots of good stuff.
  • Spyda
    318 posts Member
    Update downloads can (on occasion) include changes to the game that will not appear until a predetermined date and/or time has come and past. Currently the update status still shows:

"Prepping for game update this week" [LINK]

Give it a little time. We'll know more about the update as soon as the patch notes drop.
  • Atlas1
    1713 posts Member
    It's a pre-load for whatever is coming. They do it often and will reveal features you can't yet see. Just be patient at this point. Since the update dropped in game, we might get something tonight or tomorrow, but definitely by the end of the week.
  • CamaroAMF wrote: »
    Whatever they did to gw today's was crazy. 3 maxed out zeta whale squads. At least I got a mix of a maul, kenobi 3 cleanse and a thrawn kenobi squad. Ugh

They already said that GW hasn't changed yet.

I read that as well; however today was the first time I've been able to complete GW in the past week. After node 6, I had been getting crazy hard full zeta teams on nodes 7,8,9,10,11 usually reserved and seen on nodes 11 or 12.
  • Achilles
    1380 posts Member
    Bye bye broken GW nodes? :tongue::lol::naughty:
    Left by design.
    The fixed payout times are the worst part of this game and makes it absolutely family-unfriendly.
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Nothing changed in GW, correlation is not causation!
    xkwn2zzb-1409175060.png
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • Vampire_X wrote: »
    xkwn2zzb-1409175060.png

LOL
  • Achilles
    1380 posts Member
    Vampire_X wrote: »
    for now, but we all know they will change it sooner or later ...
    Left by design.
    The fixed payout times are the worst part of this game and makes it absolutely family-unfriendly.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Vampire_X wrote: »
    xkwn2zzb-1409175060.png

Haha
  • since the update my game always crashes if any palpatine uses his AOE stun...
  • I'm willing to believe nothing has changed with GW, but with the last GW I had, it was off the charts difficult. Extreme difference from the norm and I was already having to spend inordinate amounts of time micromanaging over 20 toons TM and cooldowns through the first 6 nodes of GW in order to be somewhat safe for completing it every day. Even then, it could get dicey in the last half of GW. Extremely difficult team comps w/ great mods and gear from node 6-11. Fortunately node 12 was broken. I've been alternating back and forth with having a broken node 12 for the last couple weeks without changing my top 5 toons or arena team... still lost on what the trigger is for GW matchups.

I think the problem with GW matchmaking is that not enough weight seems to be given to certain toons/synergies. With me for example, if I get a couple Zaul/Zavage/Zylo teams or Rex/Zihilus/Chaze/GK teams etc., I'm at the very least prot stripped on my best squad... no question. Might even lose a toon. That means I'm already in trouble for the last nodes of GW. The only way I can be somewhat safe for GW is by keeping Palp untouched throughout... and I pretty much have to use him throughout in order to try to keep anyone from getting hit.

Not enough weight appears to be given to mod type and mod stats either. One toon with a lvl 15 tenacity Mk5-A health primary arrow is not close to being the same as a toon with a lvl 15 crit dmg Mk5-A speed primary arrow. Even with something like a Zeta being taken into account, it doesn't mean much if that toon is in the building stages and someone is trying to get gear/great mods applied to it. We can only hope that these things will factor in heavily at some point. Having to face up to 6 teams with the best mods/gear/synergy per GW crosses beyond the realm of being a "challenge" imo.

I think most people have a really great team or two, but it simply doesn't mean much when you get a barrage of murderous teams the last half of GW. You are forced to spend a ton of time restarting battles making sure your top teams don't get touched prior to the last 4 nodes. I admit I'm crying wolf a bit here as after the first week or so of GW, I've not failed to complete GW unless I was busy on the given day, but that doesn't mean it hasn't come at an extreme price of time spent. It's just not much fun anymore to put that kind of time sink in to the only reliable source of resources in the game due to a matching algorithm that seems off.
  • Lossberg
    457 posts Member
    @Aeternas That is weird that your 12th is broken only some days. Do you always use exactly the same team to fight node 1?
  • Aeternas wrote: »
    HokieFiend wrote: »
    I honestly can't believe this. GW is worse than ever now. I was already spending, at times, up to an hour and a half to two hours getting 20+ toons TM swole and completing GW. That's what it takes for me to complete GW every day. Now it's nothing but the best team makeups from node 6 on. Rex/Chaze/Nihilus, Empire teams with Kylo, Wiggs/Chaze. You name it. I just don't have the desire to spend any more time on GW. Probably wouldn't matter.

I'm in the same boat. It's such a chore and a real pain point. Part of it for me is the unpredictability of what is going to happen. Some days it's a hard slog from Node 6 through 12. Others, it's only hard from Nodes 9-12. Some days Node 12 is borked. Rarely, it's only hard on nodes 11 and 12. So, the not knowing causes me to try to minimize damage and cooldown usage over 6-7 nodes and that takes a LOT of time, if I can even do it.

On Wednesdays, I have approx. 30 minutes to do GW and if I can't, then I won't get all 12 done before Guild reset. Today, I got through Node 5 and ran out of time trying to get past Node 6 with Rex, Chaze, R2, and Nihilus without getting hurt to bad to get through whatever lies ahead.

Tuesdays are also bad because I'm trying to do 24 nodes under these conditions. It's hard to gather the time to just do this one facet of the game.

Yeah sounds exactly the same as me. I'm guessing you are also a long time player that maybe has put some money in here and there like me.

That really sucks with having 30 minutes for the first day of guild GW. I used to be able to do that easily a few months back, but once my arena power went up past 45k or so (47k now) I had to put an extreme amount of time into GW. I would not be able to complete GW in that amount of time now.

Agree with everything you are saying. Same with me.

There are just certain teams you face that there are only a handful of toons you can even somewhat counter with. If those toons aren't g10 w/ great mods they might as well not even exist either. With whatever category for matchmaking you and I are in, those extremely difficult team makeups is all you seem to get past node 6. If it's a non-broken node 12 on a given day, you may get a reprieve on nodes 7, 8 or 10. Like you said though, the unpredictability is what forces your hand into micromanaging protection, cooldowns and TM.

• HokieFiend
    444 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Lossberg wrote: »
    @Aeternas That is weird that your 12th is broken only some days. Do you always use exactly the same team to fight node 1?

I also have the alternating broken node 12. I've actually tracked every team I've used in the 1st 6 nodes over a few weeks and noted when node 12 would be broken. I've tried duplicating those teams and it still seems to be completely random as to whether or not 12 is broken. No changes to my arena team. I feel like 47k arena power might be a key number. My arena team has been 47,012 for a while now and when I went over 47k is when I saw my first broken node 12. It seems like we might be right on the cusp of the magic arena number that drives a broken node 12.... might just be RNG on whether or not we get it broken or not with being right on the cusp... who knows though.

Honestly, I'm not sure a broken node 12 is better or not. With the non-broken GW, you sometimes get a break on a non-key node. Both require a ton of time regardless.
  • LORDKAI
    96 posts Member
    Has anyone had issues with fleet since the update? My arena won't let me reinforce until I'm down to 3 ships.
  • So glad you made changes to the power rating. I guess speed still isn't factored in at all in these calculations. Cause now ever since you made the changes instead of being smacked down by people with only 1k less power than me in arena. I'm getting it handed to me by teams with 15k to 25k less power than me all because they have more speed thanks to their mod secondarys. I feel really good about the fact I spent so much time now making sure I had max gear on my entire team instead of spending time and money on the real important thing mods.

Would really like to know why this was done over other pressing matters.
  • Lossberg
    457 posts Member
    @HokieFiend I asked because I use always the same team I have broken 12th each GW (if I play it to 12). And only once I was playing with my teams and used slightly weaker team on node 1 (for 45-46k power) and I got hard node 12. Then I went back to old team and node 12 is again broken (If i play it)
    @DarthTaral What's the matter? At the moment this is just a visual change of power, it affects literally nothing in the gameplay/matchmaking
  • DarthTaral
    362 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    @DarthTaral What's the matter? At the moment this is just a visual change of power, it affects literally nothing in the gameplay/matchmaking

I understand this but it didn't feel so bad getting literally destroyed by a team that only had 1k or even 2k less power than me. But now when I'm getting smashed by teams that have 15 to 25k less power than me it is a big blow psychologically. It really makes me feel like i have no clue what I'm doing or how to play the game. When I'm getting smashed by teams that according to the power rating you would think I should be able to smash but it turns out to be a false hope.

So once again I ask if power ratings or level really affects literally nothing in the gameplay/matchmaking why make the change at all?
  • Lossberg wrote: »
    @HokieFiend I asked because I use always the same team I have broken 12th each GW (if I play it to 12). And only once I was playing with my teams and used slightly weaker team on node 1 (for 45-46k power) and I got hard node 12. Then I went back to old team and node 12 is again broken (If i play it)

Gotchya. I've duplicated the team I've used on each of the 1st 6 nodes when node 12 was broken. Still seems random. In my case, the team I use on node 1 doesn't seem to matter and it's still random.

• Lossberg
    457 posts Member
    It may affect GW matchmaking in future. Also, we know nothing so far about new game mode they promised us.

Plus, I suppose it should reflect somehow team strength, but this is clearly is not the case. Neither now, nor before.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    DarthTaral wrote: »

I understand this but it didn't feel so bad getting literally destroyed by a team that only had 1k or even 2k less power than me. But now when I'm getting smashed by teams that have 15 to 25k less power than me it is a big blow psychologically. It really makes me feel like i have no clue what I'm doing or how to play the game. When I'm getting smashed by teams that according to the power rating you would think I should be able to smash but it turns out to be a false hope.

So once again I ask if power ratings or level really affects literally nothing in the gameplay/matchmaking why make the change at all?

It is not implemented yet. Once it is in effect it will be used in match making. I.e. GW... (and possibly new game mode)

All base stats are factored, but mod calculations and stats are not part of that. It's better then nothing, but I can see your point.

I'm not saying you don't know what you are doing but if you are looking at the power lvl of your opponent less than the speed and setup then maybe you don't know as much as you think.
  • ElleMadara
    1017 posts Member
    Guys my game is crashing is super slow, and some graphics seem wasted
  • Dretzle
    716 posts Member
    So far it seems this update has given us a change to the displayed power rating and disco (pink) fleet battles. Is that it? 137 MB download for that?
  • Saraleb
    2070 posts Member
    Never got it
  • USAmazing
    1157 posts Member
    Free pizza!!!
    "You don't want to sell me death sticks... You want to go home and rethink your life. "
    Obi-Wan Kenobi
  • They, might, maybe, possibly be updating the game play? It doesn't just happen in 1 update. Has everyone got the painters in, hit jam rag week or that time of the month when you don't get a shot from your special lady? Calm down folk's and go and make sure your own period hasn't started.
    518 posts Member
    Is this normal it doesn't appear in Apple Store ?