Patreon (My Sense of Achievement (Odd Idea))

IgneoMorte
253 posts Member
edited June 2017
Hello my fellow Holo Table Friends!

I have a cool/wonky idea near the end of this post.

Firstly, I'd like to start this post with why I choose to be completely free to play: I ABSOLUTELY love this game!
I love the fun, the guilds, and of course the Star Wars atmosphere. In addition, I love the sense of achievement I feel from this game. Everything I have I worked for, and none of it reflects the size of my wallet. If I were to spend to receive something, I would feel that I "cheated". I know that's not the case, but spending would take away my sense of accomplishment nonetheless.

This is not P2P hate. I am extremely grateful for P2P players, both dolphins and whales. They are the reason this game continues on. They are the reason we don't have to suffer ads. They make our game able to exist.

However, I would love to be able to donate money to the developers behind this amazing game without losing my sense of accomplishment.

So, this brings me to two ideas.

1) Patreon: I'm not really sure how Patreon works, but I know a lot of YouTubers use Patreon to collect revenue. I would gladly donate to the game if I could utilize Patreon. This would allow me to support the game I love and not lose my sense of accomplishment.

2) Expansions: If there was an added part of the game, one that doesn't have ANY impact on the cantina portion (no credits, energy, shards, etc.), I would gladly spend to experience an expansion. One idea I've seen on the forums is Pod Racing. I think this would be extremely fun.

Do you have any ideas of possible expansions?

What are your opinions on Patreon or on Expansions?

I look forward to hearing back from both players and Devs alike.

I hope this can be a fun, semi off-topic thread about SW:GoH!
Post edited by IgneoMorte on

Replies

• ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    Just buy the $20 Ewok packs when they come out. Shards you can't use. And Gear you have 3k of.
  • What do you all think of the game utilizing Patreon?
  • Byakuya
    392 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Donations get rewarded with crystals ;)
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    odd idea indeed my friend. Honestly, i don't know what to think about it xD
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef wrote: »

Leef, I have seen you on the forums dozens of times, and I believe you have very good/insightful posts. From what I've seen, I'm pretty sure you are F2P.
    As a free to play player, would you be interested in the option to donate to Patreon?
    What drives you to be F2P?
    Do you like the sense of accomplishment?
  • If you really really want to give the game money without affecting your FTP status then just keep a balance of crystals above what you have bought. This has the added advantage of letting you change your mind in the future if you want to.

Or if you really must be hardcore, then buy expensive energy refreshes one day and skip the cheap ones the next day remoce the crystals without benefit to your account.

Patreon isn't really meant for games like this, and would almost certainly cost the devs more to set up than they would get paid anyways.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    IgneoMorte wrote: »
    leef wrote: »

Leef, I have seen you on the forums dozens of times, and I believe you have very good/insightful posts. From what I've seen, I'm pretty sure you are F2P.
    As a free to play player, would you be interested in the option to donate to Patreon?

can't lie, i just don't want to waste money i could use for something else. I feel like the game doesn't get much more fun if i spend money. I also had some buyers remorse the first time i ever played a freemium game, after that i decided it's never worth it.
    So no, i wouldn't donate to patreon. They're making enough money currently and i'm not very fond of the business model. I don't really sympethize with the developers as far as making money goes. I do however really like the game, even with the artificial roadblocks in place to entice spending. But if a game development company wants my money they should chose another business model. This is also what i need to tell myself to not feel like such a freeloader ;) I sympathize more with the whales than with ea/cg. In the end it's ea/cg's their own choice to go freemium and the whales' choice to spend money. Both parties are not doing it for my benefit, so i don't feel that bad about it.
    I do like the sense of accomplisment, but i would be lying if i said that's the reason i'm f2p. It's a nice though. It also makes it easier to accept if things aren't going my way, or if the game itself takes a turn for the worse.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef wrote: »
    IgneoMorte wrote: »
    leef wrote: »

can't lie, i just don't want to waste money i could use for something else. I feel like the game doesn't get much more fun if i spend money. I also had some buyers remorse the first time i ever played a freemium game, after that i decided it's never worth it.
    So no, i wouldn't donate to patreon. They're making enough money currently and i'm not very fond of the business model. I don't really sympethize with the developers as far as making money goes. I do however really like the game, even with the artificial roadblocks in place to entice spending. But if a game development company wants my money they should chose another business model. This is also what i need to tell myself to not feel like such a freeloader ;) I sympathize more with the whales than with ea/cg. In the end it's ea/cg's their own choice to go freemium and the whales' choice to spend money. Both parties are not doing it for my benefit, so i don't feel that bad about it.
    I do like the sense of accomplisment, but i would be lying if i said that's the reason i'm f2p. It's a nice though. It also makes it easier to accept if things aren't going my way, or if the game itself takes a turn for the worse.

Thanks for the insight, Leef!
    See you on the forums!