For Newcomers (PX)

Prev1
WreakerOfClash
269 posts Member
edited July 2017
If you discovered the forums and are very new to SWGoH, then welcome! I hope that you enjoy the game from here on out. But what this is really about is what you should farm early on: The Pheonix Squad. With great synergy, accessibility, and the fact that they can unlock two and a half of three legendary characters, Thrawn (Who is insanely powerful), Palpatine, and Yoda, who are all good in the early stages. This will make it easier than farming five Jedis, Rebels, and you also have the Pheonix squad set. So I would highly recommend this faction, without Chopper of course. Thanks for reading.
"There are no Jedi here anymore. Only dreamers like this fool." - Baze Malbus.

https://swgoh.gg/u/limitedu34/

Replies

• Ramos wrote: »
    +1000000

Haha thanks.

• Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • Vampire_X wrote: »

Oh didnt see that haha!

• Many videos out there regarding this; similar to the post below:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb5VAz2-fyU

I would suggest watching a lot of the roster reviews provided by RSG (reality skewed gamers) and Warrior Presents on youtube

Phoenix Squad review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSTIb0eljxo
    "You will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

https://swgoh.gg/u/humblemaverick/

• Matke
    56 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Its much better to farm a wiggs team as a begginer than phoenix. It has scoundrels, more arena viability, one of the best ships in the game (biggs) and a capital ship, and present one of the meta teams for aat p4.

I would skip phoenix because of this as their only advantage is thrawn atm. I myself farmed only ezra as he is good jedi toon.
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    also good chance to promote the academy is always looking for great content!

New Player experience is important and love to help the community keep supporting the development.
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • Matke wrote: »
    Its much better to farm a wiggs team as a begginer than phoenix. It has scoundrels, more arena viability, one of the best ships in the game (biggs) and a capital ship, and present one of the meta teams for aat p4.

I would skip phoenix because of this as their only advantage is thrawn atm. I myself farmed only ezra as he is good jedi toon.

You should elaborate what team you use. I use wiggs with rey, palp, and fett, so I have no clue what team you mean.

• Matke
    56 posts Member
    Sorry, I meant classic rebels team.

I agree with you. For me is better STH, Lando and etc for the newcomers

I agree with you. For me is better STH, Lando and etc for the newcomer
    Makes sense, both teams seem viable, but I'd farm Phoenix first to get Palpatine and Thrawn

Makes sense, both teams seem viable, but I'd farm Phoenix first to get Palpatine and Thrawn

Thrawn's return is probably quite a few months away yet. Yoda is only useful if you are running a full Jedi squad that requires a zeta leadership. And the classic rebels + Boba squad makes Palpatine easy to get anyways.

Phoenix squad may not be a terrible choice for new players, but it is far from the best, and pretending otherwise is dishonest. Having an advantage at getting a couple of the legendary characters is much less important than being able to beat the top available tier of the credit heist. Lando, ST Han, and Boba are capable of doing that by themselves, with gear 1 level 1 scoundrels being adequate to fill in required slots if the first three are well built.

I know a bunch of people really want to believe that Phoenix is actually good, but they are basically the same as the Rogue One team without the Pretaunt and passive taunts, the AOE cleanse and dispel, the multiple sources of tenacity up, or the massive single target damage output of Chirrut and Cassian's specials, and Rogue One isn't even considered meta viable anymore.

• Matke
    56 posts Member
    What we have yet to see is how will phoenix ships affect the fleet rankings now when they are farmable. If it proves that they are a huge advantage, they may be a better choice because of zeta accessibility. But I see this as unlikely.

• Cm3Po
    234 posts Member
    To be honest, new players could farm both a scoundrel and Phoenix team simultaneously. The scoundrels don't have to be crazy good to beat the highest heist tier. I would suggest focusing on the scoundrel team up until you can beat that last tier, then move on to a meta team for highest possible payout in arena, and worry about legendary characters later.

Thrawn's return is probably quite a few months away yet. Yoda is only useful if you are running a full Jedi squad that requires a zeta leadership. And the classic rebels + Boba squad makes Palpatine easy to get anyways.

Phoenix squad may not be a terrible choice for new players, but it is far from the best, and pretending otherwise is dishonest. Having an advantage at getting a couple of the legendary characters is much less important than being able to beat the top available tier of the credit heist. Lando, ST Han, and Boba are capable of doing that by themselves, with gear 1 level 1 scoundrels being adequate to fill in required slots if the first three are well built.

I know a bunch of people really want to believe that Phoenix is actually good, but they are basically the same as the Rogue One team without the Pretaunt and passive taunts, the AOE cleanse and dispel, the multiple sources of tenacity up, or the massive single target damage output of Chirrut and Cassian's specials, and Rogue One isn't even considered meta viable anymore.

No one is pretending they are the best, but on the other side of the coin there are those that pretend they are total garbage, and that is just as dishonest. Those making those claims have not leveled them and don't run them. They are just immature adults who believe they are too grown up to like something from a cartoon on disney while they play a video game based off a movie they watched as kids. Most new player guides say DONT chase the current meta, as metas change and you will have wasted effort on obsolete toons. I say gear what you currently have that works and farm as many shards of everything you can, you never know what next event or challenge will require ;)
  • AnnerDoon
    1353 posts Member
    Cartoon characters have no soul.
  • SolidStripes
    580 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    AnnerDoon wrote: »

Thats what you have to add to this? Really? I think you need to go read some books, imo. Have a good day troll :p

Edit:
    I'm wasnt trying to derail this into a book/movie/animation/graphic novel/ medium debate, its all just a variation of the same thing. I just stating where most of the phoenix hate comes from as I see it, and is not the point of my post. Its that what you got out of it then you missed the point entirely. I shoulda ignored it now I'm guilty of being trollish too. If it was sarcasm then it was spam we can't tell how you say it over the internet. I'm out, jeez.
  • AnnerDoon wrote: »

Thats what you have to add to this? Really? I think you need to go read some books, imo. Have a good day troll :p

Wow haha.

• AnnerDoon
    1353 posts Member

I could add more, but you wouldn't like that either.
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    If you discovered the forums and are very new to SWGoH, then welcome! I hope that you enjoy the game from here on out. But what this is really about is what you should farm early on: The Pheonix Squad. With great synergy, accessibility, and the fact that they can unlock two and a half of three legendary characters, Thrawn (Who is insanely powerful), Palpatine, and Yoda, who are all good in the early stages. This will make it easier than farming five Jedis, Rebels, and you also have the Pheonix squad set. So I would highly recommend this faction, without Chopper of course. Thanks for reading.

Mine as well get Chopper so you have the whole crew for the Phantom II and Ghost ships. They might be pretty good. Who knows.

True because I dislike irrelevant nonsense. Would you like to add anything to the OP's topic now? Any thing of value to the conversation? Insights, opinions? God forbid facts? Hmmmm?
  • If i had to start over from day 1 i would farm and max out sthan, fett, ig88, lando, and just level the starter chewie to gear VIII and lvl 80 (no need to level him past being able to clear scoundrel events) before moving on to farming and gearing other toons. The credit heist is by and far the most important event in game for new players and seasoned players alike without emptying your wallet. Without enough credits to consistently level both your toons and mods the game becomes even more tedious to say the very least.
    Phoenix isnt a horrendously bad team and does have good cross synergy between themselves, rebels, jedi, and chopper can do ok in a droid or jawa team. But as a first priority team for someone starting today, i just don't see it. Their ships do have an excellent synergy both with each other and rebel teammates but again it is alot more work and resources that can be better allocated elsewhere in my opinion. Before working on phoenix and after your scoundrel team on light side there is quigon, biggs, wedge, barriss, and ackbar/mace that should all be given a much higher priority than going balls out on phoenix.
  • AnnerDoon
    1353 posts Member

True because I dislike irrelevant nonsense. Would you like to add anything to the OP's topic now? Any thing of value to the conversation? Insights, opinions? God forbid facts? Hmmmm?

Your comment spewing a baseless and insulting opinion regarding why some people don't like the Phoenix characters is what I'm responding to.
    Those [that don't like Phoenix Squad characters] ... are just immature adults who believe they are too grown up to like something from a cartoon...

How does your irrelevant nonsense add any value to the conversation?

Your comment spewing a baseless and insulting opinion regarding why some people don't like the Phoenix characters is what I'm responding to.
    Those [that don't like Phoenix Squad characters] ... are just immature adults who believe they are too grown up to like something from a cartoon...

Well Solid, I don't like the Phoenix characters because the show is boring, annoying, and way too childish. I would like to see people getting shot every once in a while that's good, not just every bad guy dying, that's boring. That's like the all the X-Wings blowing up the Death Star and making it home for dinner with the family after.

• Ha like anything about star wars isnt childish. Get real.

Go back to harassing ginger kids, Cartman
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • American
    394 posts Member
    Like it or not Phoenix is great for new players since Ezra and kanan carry both rebel and Jed designations for palp and yoda events
  • SolidStripes
    580 posts Member
    edited July 2017

Who's scruffy looking? I must have hit pretty close to the mark to get her all riled up like that, eh kid?
  • AnnerDoon
    1353 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Well, I did say you wouldn't like it.

The truth is, many people don't like the Rebels cartoon because it's not very entertaining. And a lot of that is due to the characters' lack of humanism. They just don't seem to be a realistic reflection of the human condition... they're more like goofy caricatures... i.e., they have no soul.

That said, that really wouldn't matter if the characters in the game actually had outstanding kits. But sadly, they're all pretty... meh. Sure, individually a few may be ok in some comps. And they can pull double duty in getting legendary characters. But other than that, they pretty much fall flat.

However, I'll agree they may be useful in the early game... at least as useful as some of the other early standards that fall by the wayside as players progress. And, who knows... they may eventually get zetas that boost their usefulness.

My issue really isn't with the Phoenix characters. My issue is with people that make broad, sweeping characterizations about an entire group of players that don't care for the Rebels show, and/or don't like the in-game versions of those characters. If you want to fanboy yourself into a froth over a poorly written cartoon, go ahead. Just don't be surprised when some people disagree.
  • Matke
    56 posts Member
    Well, I did say you wouldn't like it.

The truth is, many people don't like the Rebels cartoon because it's not very entertaining. And a lot of that is due to the characters' lack of humanism. They just don't seem to be a realistic reflection of the human condition... they're more like goofy caricatures... i.e., they have no soul

I agree on this, the cartoon is very poorly made, couldnt hold a candle to CW. Unfortunately, disney recognised their target audience as 6 year olds, hence the result.