Is thrawn a must?

Maybe I'm just panicking but my Jedi get destroyed by Thrawn (L), DN, GK, Chaze. I passed on Thrawn's initial release but the combo of fracture & DN cool down debuff behind two imba tanks seems impossible for me to beat? Maybe I'm mismodded? Maybe opponents are just better modded? Whatever it is I hate being snubbed by this new squad at payout and dropping from 10-20 to 20-50! Serious rage!!! I mean GK+Chaze is ridiculous enough, and I can now win vs that MOST of the time but a fracture on my GK and cool down debuffs squad wide means I MIGHT kill 3/5, if I'm lucky!

Should I join my shard mates and invest heavily in Phoenix to get and 7* Thrawn on his next special event.....and work on my non-existent Baze, 3* Chirrut, and 5* DN; or just keep plugging away in the 10-50 range with Jedis whilst working on more HAAT squads? (Eg. Clones/Resistance, etc)

/tired of losing to squads 10-15K less squad power

Replies

• StarSon
    7411 posts Member
    Don't need to "invest heavily" in Phoenix. Thrawn won't be back for a few months. Plenty of time to ease into it. 7* all but Sabine, get everyone to g8 and Ezra to g9, and you're golden.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    As stated above you have time.

Yes farm shards, as long as it doesn't hurt current plans.
  • StarSon wrote: »
    Don't need to "invest heavily" in Phoenix. Thrawn won't be back for a few months. Plenty of time to ease into it. 7* all but Sabine, get everyone to g8 and Ezra to g9, and you're golden.

Sabine is clearly the strongest one besides Ezra, her quad tap is impressive even at 6* gVIII in GW not to mention she's in guild shop invest the 36 energy and buy from guild store but no rush for her since it'll probably be nov-Jan for thrawns return
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member
    StarSon wrote: »

Sabine is clearly the strongest one besides Ezra, her quad tap is impressive even at 6* gVIII in GW not to mention she's in guild shop invest the 36 energy and buy from guild store but no rush for her since it'll probably be nov-Jan for thrawns return

Sure, but if you only want Thrawn, she seems to be the weak link if you aren't taking them all to high gear levels.
  • Thrawn is certainly a good toon and a major factor in an Arena team, but I'm running triple cleanse and have no problem beating any Thrawn (all well geared and modded) that I have faced. I think Thrawn is most beneficial to those strugging against Chaze/GK on offense, but I don't think Thrawn offers much on defense. But he is great in both Rancor and P3 AAT raids, so he does offer significant benefits there. So I would say he is a top tier toon, but I guess it depends on how you define "must." I would say your bigger problem is that you are running Jedi in Arena.
  • Riffinator
    2585 posts Member
    I'd say so he helped me get into the 400s for arena
    "ARE WE BLIND? DEPLOY THE GARRISON."
  • xReDeMpx
    1690 posts Member
    Thrawn is certainly a good toon and a major factor in an Arena team, but I'm running triple cleanse and have no problem beating any Thrawn (all well geared and modded) that I have faced. I think Thrawn is most beneficial to those strugging against Chaze/GK on offense, but I don't think Thrawn offers much on defense. But he is great in both Rancor and P3 AAT raids, so he does offer significant benefits there. So I would say he is a top tier toon, but I guess it depends on how you define "must." I would say your bigger problem is that you are running Jedi in Arena.

Jedi are one of the best teams in arena on offense
  • OP never pass up on a toon when you have the opportunity to get them.

Also...dont expect to stay in the top 20 if you aint using meta toons.

Nonmeta squads get attacked first. Sorry for the bad news...but you are gonna continue having a daily uphill battle for the next foreseeable future because you arent using squads that people will skip. Thats why you dropping from 10-50.

Peice of advice...if your sqaud drops more than 10 points over night...they stink!
  • KyloRey
    871 posts Member
    Thrawn is certainly a good toon and a major factor in an Arena team, but I'm running triple cleanse and have no problem beating any Thrawn (all well geared and modded) that I have faced. I think Thrawn is most beneficial to those strugging against Chaze/GK on offense, but I don't think Thrawn offers much on defense. But he is great in both Rancor and P3 AAT raids, so he does offer significant benefits there. So I would say he is a top tier toon, but I guess it depends on how you define "must." I would say your bigger problem is that you are running Jedi in Arena.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I run triple cleanse and I haven't had any issues beating any Thrawn teams yet in Arena. I have a 7 star, gear 10 Thrawn myself, but I've found my triple cleanse team is still doing a good job and so I've relegated my usage of Thrawn to raids and GW, at this point.
  • Gaidal_Cain
    1640 posts Member
    OP never pass up on a toon when you have the opportunity to get them.

Also...dont expect to stay in the top 20 if you aint using meta toons.

Nonmeta squads get attacked first. Sorry for the bad news...but you are gonna continue having a daily uphill battle for the next foreseeable future because you arent using squads that people will skip. Thats why you dropping from 10-50.

Peice of advice...if your sqaud drops more than 10 points over night...they stink!

Lol, not everyone has the kind of mods you do.

Even the most meta squad will drop even with decent mods.

As long as I can take first without having to buy a refresh I'm more than happy. Even if I have to refresh I don't mind it because I love battling in arena.

OP, honestly, Thrawn isn't that difficult if you know how to fight him. The best way I know of is to ignore him. Sure, if you can ability block him or keep his cooldowns increased do it, but he doesn't seem to be much of threat to me on offense and I usually leave him for last.

Unless you run full Empireon I don't think he is a must have, at least not of offense.

I DO run full Empire and I can finally hold on defense now with him in my squad.

He's amazing in the player's hands and apparently not too awful with AI provided you have fast mods for your team.
  • StarSon wrote: »

If anything Sabine's going to be the easiest to 7* before the event comes out again, just save a little but of guild currency and whenever she pops up buy her - I'm almost at 6* already and I've missed lots of her showing up

And by easiest I don't mean fastest because it's not it's the slowest, I mean the least effort - for anyone else you have to drop who you're farming and farm them instead but guild shipments I find you normally have 400 ish spare most of the time if you're only farming one other character
  • WompWompRat
    1833 posts Member
    Sabine is strong and worth farming either way. I remember when Phoenix first came out I spent just enough to get her to 5* and I ran her in various scenarios. Once she was at XI and max abilities with good mods, she was nothing to sneeze at.

Thrawn is definitely very useful on offense but yes, he's not OP which actually to me is a sign of a good toon - great kit, good use in various scenarios but doesn't break the game.
  • Which of the Phoenix is least valuable? Hera is a must (leader), Ezra and Sabine sound very worthy, Zeb seems decent enough, Kanaan's tankiness can be useful - so is Chopper the LVP (Least Valuable Phoenix)?

• Peice of advice...if your sqaud drops more than 10 points over night...they stink! [/quote].

I wouldn't say that I have about 25 main people in my shard who all compete at #1 status. I drop 10-12 spots everyday but still 1 every day wouldn't say that stinks

• KyloRey
    871 posts Member

I wouldn't say that I have about 25 main people in my shard who all compete at #1 status. I drop 10-12 spots everyday but still 1 every day wouldn't say that stinks

[/quote]

Yeah, Arena has definitely become more competitive. Without a level cap raise for a long while, more and more people are getting Chaze and GK now and are rising up the Arena boards.

Lol I run triple cleanse and more and more I am losing to teams who have inferior mods to mine but they now also run triple cleanse teams and can beat mine on offense.

Its not hard for me to climb back to No. 1 but where before I would just drop maybe 5 to 7 spots overnight, now I drop to like 14th to 18th overnight.
  • I stand my my original quote "if your squad drops more than 10 points overnight..they stink!".

I know that sounds like im full of my self and maybe i am. But i have been closing out my payout since last November at Rank 1 everyday. Thats 8 months straight yo! 500 crystals a day. My server shards is from November of 2015. We have seen every meta...and while Jedi and Thrawn teams do get rank 1 on my server everyday, they definitely dont stay there long at all. Why? Simply because they stink! Maybe good on offense..bad on defense. Thats why i said they stink.

Unless you run meta..youre a target!
  • Reyalp
    738 posts Member
    pwnthenubs wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just panicking but my Jedi get destroyed by Thrawn (L), DN, GK, Chaze. I passed on Thrawn's initial release but the combo of fracture & DN cool down debuff behind two imba tanks seems impossible for me to beat? Maybe I'm mismodded? Maybe opponents are just better modded? Whatever it is I hate being snubbed by this new squad at payout and dropping from 10-20 to 20-50! Serious rage!!! I mean GK+Chaze is ridiculous enough, and I can now win vs that MOST of the time but a fracture on my GK and cool down debuffs squad wide means I MIGHT kill 3/5, if I'm lucky!

Should I join my shard mates and invest heavily in Phoenix to get and 7* Thrawn on his next special event.....and work on my non-existent Baze, 3* Chirrut, and 5* DN; or just keep plugging away in the 10-50 range with Jedis whilst working on more HAAT squads? (Eg. Clones/Resistance, etc)

/tired of losing to squads 10-15K less squad power

Old Ben to go first - Mind Tricks. You're welcome.
  • MoBlaq
    580 posts Member
    Thrawn isn't a must. He is nice and has some really good abilities, but everything is beatable pretty much. Think of this game like rock, paper, scissors instead of chess...
  • He can be make a team to unbeatable even on the Whale shard.

I can tell you only this, not allow to share more information.
  • I stand my my original quote "if your squad drops more than 10 points overnight..they stink!".

I know that sounds like im full of my self and maybe i am. But i have been closing out my payout since last November at Rank 1 everyday. Thats 8 months straight yo! 500 crystals a day. My server shards is from November of 2015. We have seen every meta...and while Jedi and Thrawn teams do get rank 1 on my server everyday, they definitely dont stay there long at all. Why? Simply because they stink! Maybe good on offense..bad on defense. Thats why i said they stink.

Or they don't stay there because of your arena cartel that immediately targets and ejects outsiders as soon as they appear. You haven't actually had to compete for as long as you've been up there, so maybe you don't have the experience necessary to objectively address OPs concern.
  • Gaidal_Cain
    1640 posts Member
    I stand my my original quote "if your squad drops more than 10 points overnight..they stink!".

I'd rather "stink" and take 1st with my own team comp than run some boring uncreative meta garbage.

A sheep with good mods is still a sheep.

Dare to be different.

There's my truth.