What was the purpose of "fixing" Kylo's escape?

Prev1
vazelos81
166 posts Member
Yesterday my guild completed phase1 of hAAT by using only zKylos (5 or 6 Kylos) without taking much more time than usual (definately less than half hour).
So, what was the purpose of changing his ability to reset the escape, since this isn't something new but it was already happening for several months now?

Replies

• Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    At least more guild members are participating to exploit the zKylo issue, rather than only 1 guild member soloing it. I think that was the point, but you are right I guess - kinda lame.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Game... game balance?

Is this a test?
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Kidneythief
    133 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It would be a bug fix if other characters didn't reset the escape button ABILITY. So, this is a nerf to Zylo, not a bug fix, which is just irritating.
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    Options
    Took my guild 45 minutes :( most didn't realize how to retreat and come back if escape didn't work. Used to take 5~10mins, which we were all more than happy about, since we show up on time.
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    Options
    When Lugo created Nutini, and the devs immediately nerfed it, people were mad, and pointed out Kylo's escape as an example why Nutini should NOT be nerfed (if 1 character can solo an entire AAT Phase, why get so upset about 3 characters being able to solo an AAT Phase?), so they nerfed Kylo's escape in return.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Fahrius
    620 posts Member
    Options
    CaptainRex wrote: »
    When Lugo created Nutini, and the devs immediately nerfed it, people were mad, and pointed out Kylo's escape as an example why Nutini should NOT be nerfed (if 1 character can solo an entire AAT Phase, why get so upset about 3 characters being able to solo an AAT Phase?), so they nerfed Kylo's escape in return.

They said they were going to fix kylo before any lugo thing appeared...
    https://swgoh.gg/u/fahrius/ - Discord - Fahrius#1194
  • warmonkey
    1314 posts Member
    Options
    Bcause they don't want easy to farm toons to solo it. See recent stealth nerf to teebo. They want the p2w and almost impossible 7* toons to do that.
  • Fahrius
    620 posts Member
    Options
    warmonkey wrote: »
    Bcause they don't want easy to farm toons to solo it. See recent stealth nerf to teebo. They want the p2w and almost impossible 7* toons to do that.

He can still solo the rancor...
    https://swgoh.gg/u/fahrius/ - Discord - Fahrius#1194
  • vazelos81
    166 posts Member
    Options
    zKylo can still solo P1. It only takes a little more time.
    They didn't prevent that, that's why I'm saying this "bug" fix does nothing, except nerfing QoL.
  • American
    394 posts Member
    Options
    Zylo just needs to escape successfully one time. Still soloable just tougher now. Escape works as intended. I always found it odd the escape kept popping up
  • Options
    Things like this are done so others who take the time to get the character to where it needs get screwed in not being able to also utilize the character for said purpose. The wrong characters get nerfed, that blaze guy and his side kick are still overpowered vastly. Same goes with the Rogue One Rebel characters. When two characters can defeat teams of 5 other characters consistently and one right after the other then you know something is wrong.
  • Dretzle
    716 posts Member
    Options
    I had found it very odd that the Escape ability reset like his other cooldowns when I first found out about it and used it months ago. It's not one of Kylo's abilities that should be reset. No problem fixing it.
  • Mc_Iavell
    240 posts Member
    Options
    I'm bringing again the ZADER fix. (Not nerf, fix!).

If Nutini had to be fixed, because it would prevent any attack from the enemy, both Zader and Zylo used in Rancor would just go againts the rancor and Grievous. No player were hit by this "Incorrect" usage, instead many of us were using these "exploit" to better achieve guild rewards.

Since Zader actually was fixed and obliged us to change rancor team, Zylo fix is totally useless. It only means you'll double the time spent on P1.

Thank you for leaving us less hours in the day. Those sleepy hours are never useful in any case.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    I have to ask, how is it a nerf? Doesn't zylo function the same as he did before: do damage, escape, go back in, repeat....

He functions like every other toon now, the escape button is not under his control,just like every other toon. Bringing function to a state that is the same for all other toons isn't really a nerf. I.e. the first zader fix to stop double tmr by toons with double tags.
  • fascizio
    572 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    I have to ask, how is it a nerf? Doesn't zylo function the same as he did before: do damage, escape, go back in, repeat....

He functions like every other toon now, the escape button is not under his control,just like every other toon. Bringing function to a state that is the same for all other toons isn't really a nerf. I.e. the first zader fix to stop double tmr by toons with double tags.

That's kinda the point Op is making though, isn't it? This doesn't change his ability to maintain protection and do damage, it just means if you don't hit your retreat you have to reset and try again. It doesn't keep him from soloing, it just makes soloing take more time.... so why? What's the purpose? Guilds that need to do this to get through are still going to, it's just going to take them longer now.

All this is is a QoL hit for people just starting hAAT. Why take the dev time to work on that? It makes no sense.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    fascizio wrote: »

That's kinda the point Op is making though, isn't it? This doesn't change his ability to maintain protection and do damage, it just means if you don't hit your retreat you have to reset and try again. It doesn't keep him from soloing, it just makes soloing take more time.... so why? What's the purpose? Guilds that need to do this to get through are still going to, it's just going to take them longer now.

All this is is a QoL hit for people just starting hAAT. Why take the dev time to work on that? It makes no sense.

Like I said, to bring him in line with all the other toons. They have many inconsistencies in how toons operate, we should let them bring everyone to a single consistent place. If he can be used the same as before but it's more tedious, I see no reason to question it, because it make things more consistent.
  • Options

Probably why the new game mode won't be here before august
  • fascizio
    572 posts Member
    Options

Like I said, to bring him in line with all the other toons. They have many inconsistencies in how toons operate, we should let them bring everyone to a single consistent place. If he can be used the same as before but it's more tedious, I see no reason to question it, because it make things more consistent.

Does it though? I mean not to split hairs, but escape is specifically described as an "ability" that "all of your characters gain" so why should it not be impacted by abilities that alter cool-downs of other abilities? No one else has a similar mechanic so it's hard to say, but ultimately best case it seems semantic i.e. this is an "ability" not a "skill" so it's different.

I mean, it just seems kinda odd to me to be spending dev time on something like that when there are plenty of other pressing bugs that actually are impactful and legitimately do need a fix (ship targeting springs to mind).
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    if you can't figure out the possible benefit of this change you're simply not trying hard enough.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »
    if you can't figure out the possible benefit of this change you're simply not trying hard enough.
    That or they're simply very selfish.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • vazelos81
    166 posts Member
    Options
    I think too the escape reset was weird, but they knew this was happening from the begining and it'd be normal to change it.
    What i cannot understand is we they made now after so many months that change that literaly doesn't change anything.
    Kylo could solo it before and kylo can still solo it now.
  • Options
    It was to stop younglings from entering the jedi temple without being ready.
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    That or they're simply very selfish.

Zylo solos aren't selfish, they distribute the damage very evenly among everyone who is running it, plus Phase 1 has so much less total HP than any other phase that it is just a blip on the radar for overall damage in the raid...

Now Teebo solos in Rancor Phase 1 back in the day... THAT could be selfish if you did it very quickly to lock other guildmates out of their runs.

You can still solo Phase 1 though, you just need the correct character. Don't say it, their spies are everywhere! ;)
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Options
    I think it was more a statement of principle than any sort of effective deterrent against using zKylos to clear P1. The devs want Herioc Tank to be a full guild effort, and perhaps this is a statement that anything that tilts that in favour of individual solos of phases will be reviewed. They did it with zMaul in NAAT and Clones in HAAT with the perma-heal immunity, they did it with Nute and now they've done it with Kylo. So those of you rocking squads doing huge chunks of P2 and P4 should be a bit wary of the dev's willingness to restore balance - as the Jedi found out, it's not always a good thing :)
    Having said that, zKylo did his job in allowing our guild to focus on good P2, P3 and P4 squads for heroic by removing P1 from the equation. Given the lack of a middle-ground tier between Normal and Heroic, this was probably the next best thing.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • crzydroid
    7298 posts Moderator
    Options

It actually makes things inconsistent, as reports say Asajj and Lando still reset. I haven't heard from a Zeta Finn team, but people usually don't use that in p1. Using escape also triggers Ackbar's leader ability. So it is absolutely an ability like any other. To say it's more consistent because other characters can't control their escape cooldown is such a strawman because they can't control their other cooldowns like that either.

• poosalot
    46 posts Member
    Options

Other toons can and still reset escape. So you you are wrong that he is in line. It's a dumb nerf that makes something tedious that has no need to be. Especially since Zylo soloing p1 has nothing to do with anyone being able to clear the rest of the raid.
  • Options
    It changes very little...took us 20 minutes longer
  • Options
    crzydroid wrote: »

It actually makes things inconsistent, as reports say Asajj and Lando still reset. I haven't heard from a Zeta Finn team, but people usually don't use that in p1. Using escape also triggers Ackbar's leader ability. So it is absolutely an ability like any other. To say it's more consistent because other characters can't control their escape cooldown is such a strawman because they can't control their other cooldowns like that either.

This is very Informative. I had no idea Lando & Ventress did this too. I use Lando in NAAT but never tried to escape with him. I don't use Ventress. This angers me even more. I zeta'd Kylo for this reason. I usually use him In 4/5 NAAT teams but last night could only use him twice. Means I'll never get to use him properly In HAAT if we ever get there, which now seems even less likely to happen.
  • Options
    You can do it with zavage also. Just takes forever. 1st retreat works 38-45k run. If it doesn't and 2nd works 80-90k run. Rinse repeat
  • Options
    pReaL420 wrote: »
    It changes very little...took us 20 minutes longer

For your guild, maybe. But for my small group, prepping for HAAT, and only 3 people working on zkylo, this will be a much larger time commitment.