Ewok stealth nerf? (Damage Change Discussion)

Caiaphas
187 posts Member
edited July 2017
Chief Chirpa and Ewok Elder are doing much less damage on their basic attacks now. Chirpa particularly... mine is critting for 4.5-5k, whereas he used to crit for 7.5-8k. I suspect it is because they changed the primary stat for them. It also looks like they changed the actual stats ... the current Strength level is not as high as the previous Intelligence level was.

The damage decrease is quite significant! Why on earth would the devs do this? It's not like the ewoks were doing too much damage to begin with! And the benefits from the "faction pass" would not have been overpowered if they devs have left the stats and basic damage alone!

*sigh*

Anyone else seeing the same thing? I don't suppose we could get a response on why this was done from the devs. What on earth was the reasoning behind *decreasing* ewok damage?
Post edited by Vampire_X on

Replies

• Mihai29
    592 posts Member
    Caiaphas wrote: »
    Chief Chirpa and Ewok Elder are doing much less damage on their basic attacks now. Chirpa particularly... mine is critting for 4.5-5k, whereas he used to crit for 7.5-8k. I suspect it is because they changed the primary stat for them. It also looks like they changed the actual stats ... the current Strength level is not as high as the previous Intelligence level was.

The damage decrease is quite significant! Why on earth would the devs do this? It's not like the ewoks were doing too much damage to begin with! And the benefits from the "faction pass" would not have been overpowered if they devs have left the stats and basic damage alone!

*sigh*

Anyone else seeing the same thing? I don't suppose we could get a response on why this was done from the devs. What on earth was the reasoning behind *decreasing* ewok damage?

Note to forum moderators: To facilitate discussion about this issue in particular, and not the Game Update in general, I wold appreciate it if you did *not* merge this thread with the "megathread", as it won't get seen by many... which is not good for discussion about the issue! Thank you!

Dont likey...dont play :D
  • Not that I am denying your claim/testimony by any means, but the update actually lead me to believe the damage dealt would only increase. For instance, on a few of the ability levels it said the damage increase went from 5% to 10% or even 15% on a couple of the omegas.
  • Caiaphas
    187 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Not that I am denying your claim/testimony by any means, but the update actually lead me to believe the damage dealt would only increase. For instance, on a few of the ability levels it said the damage increase went from 5% to 10% or even 15% on a couple of the omegas.

At first I was speculating, as it certainly appeared to me that they were doing less damage.

And yes, the update does lead one to believe that the damage would increase, which is what bothers me (and probably others that enjoy playing ewoks) even more!

Some data on the pre- and post-faction pass are on a handy reddit post that I just saw : https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/6llzec/ewok_faction_pass_before_and_after/

The damage has certainly decreased, while the update notes suggest that the damage increases
  • Paladin033112
    312 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Thanks for posting the link! Although the damage reduction does kind of stink, the update, along with the double drops, still makes me want to farm them up. Plus, you can get two of the four Ewoks to gear 9 with no raid gear and they all seem to be very easy to gear to level 8 :)

*For a F2P like myself, any easy gear 9 is worth the farm to me!
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Not that I am denying your claim/testimony by any means, but the update actually lead me to believe the damage dealt would only increase. For instance, on a few of the ability levels it said the damage increase went from 5% to 10% or even 15% on a couple of the omegas.

I'm assuming this was done in an attempt to offset the loss in damage from switching primary stats.

Both were moved from tactics/agility to strength but I don't think either had their gear requirements changed which is standard for doing something like this in order to change the stats and make the toons more effective. If you look they both still have more tactics/agility than strength when usually a toon that's based in a certain stat has that stat as the highest. You can tell any toon's primary stat by checking which one increases physical damage and you'll see it's always the highest stat.

It makes no sense to change them the way they did unless they purposefully wanted to nerf them but in that case it would've been easier to just change the multipliers in their skills.
  • Caiaphas
    187 posts Member
    MBL_66 wrote: »
    It makes no sense to change them the way they did unless they purposefully wanted to nerf them but in that case it would've been easier to just change the multipliers in their skills.

Yea man I just don't get it. Did someone drop the ball with changing gear, or changing the values of the stats themselves, or was the nerf intentional?

Elder is doing around 150 damage less on his basic, and Chirpa 500 dmg less. It might not seem like a lot at first, but of course this is the damage that gets put through the multipliers, etc., so in reality it is worse than it looks on paper. And on paper, it don't look good!
  • Arkham
    275 posts Member
    Has no one looked at the damage increases the Scout got?

Nerfs to Chirpa and EE were to relegate them to "utility" while Scout gets dibs on damage dealing. He's now the ewok version of the Clone Sergeant.

I bet Wicket will also dish out loads of damage, while Logray will probably be an effective tank (sorry Teebo, you're not a tank).
    Enthusiast of undervalued toons, general dismisser of trends,
    https://swgoh.gg/u/arkham/, A Team
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    They may end up being good for a raid, the upcoming guild co-op content or GW, but very few ppl will care. The quality of a toon or faction is based on its viability in Arena as judged by the majority of the player base.

I use Troopers as my example. They can auto GW, they do quite well in p2 H AAT, but...since they need an initial kill to start the ball rolling and they r slow...they can't vie for top Arena spots and hold on defense like the current meta. Therefore, noone sings their praises.

Chirpa's lead is a weaker version of Phasma's lead and we know how FO does in Arena.

They do less damage than Troopers out the gate and that's b4 Veers gives them +30% offense. They r slower than Troopers and that's b4 Veers lead adds 20 Speed. We know how Troopers do in Arena.

The only saving grace is Chirpa's Tribal Unity. He calls all Ewoks +1 and there is no damage reduction so that could b a huge hit. But, again, I call attention to his regrettable speed. Guess who gets fractured...
  • We will see whar happens with the new ewoks. Maybe teebo will go unused.
    Intergalactic space slugs are recruiting. Pm me if interested in entering the slug life. ~°° ♡
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    tumblr_lo1505UJms1qizvnso1_500.gif
    Thread Cleaned! Keep it on topic this time... its not all nefarious sometimes just gotta keep it clean
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • warmonkey
    1314 posts Member
    I was already worried about how they would be able to take on any thrawn team in arena and was wondering how they could do enough damage before protection regens so this kinda stinks. Maybe have to use dn with them I suppose.
  • Mihai29 wrote: »
    Caiaphas wrote: »

*sigh*

Note to forum moderators: To facilitate discussion about this issue in particular, and not the Game Update in general, I wold appreciate it if you did *not* merge this thread with the "megathread", as it won't get seen by many... which is not good for discussion about the issue! Thank you!

Dont likey...dont play :D

Agree. They are Nerfed.
  • Wow, worst faction pass ever. I cannot imagine what the rationale for nerfing the damage on a low damage faction that was already miles from arena viability and only sees any play for their utility anyways was. I look forwards to a Jedi pass where Mace Windu gets reduced damage now.

• Vampire_X wrote: »
    tumblr_lo1505UJms1qizvnso1_500.gif
    Thread Cleaned! Keep it on topic this time... its not all nefarious sometimes just gotta keep it clean

Did we somehow break TOS? I probably know the TOS better than most mods now.
    Intergalactic space slugs are recruiting. Pm me if interested in entering the slug life. ~°° ♡
  • Elders and chirpa's reduced damage offsets the boosts that scout gets. The overall damage of the team is about the same. The optimal all ewok team will be elder scout and the 3 new ewoks.
    Unless the new ewoks dish out massive damage and logray inflicts Mass daze like maul, there is zero chance they can be used in arena, as most arena squads will punish you for dealing critical hits to them without inflicting high damage.
  • Achilles
    1380 posts Member
    I bet they nerfed their damage output to announce the omg fantastic reworked omega ability of chirpa (-50% damage penalty) without making them (too) powerful ... Also his leader (assist calls on specials) and scouts special (assist call) ... just a guess ;)
    Left by design.
    The fixed payout times are the worst part of this game and makes it absolutely family-unfriendly.
  • I've used ewoks every day since last August. They can't beat anyone they couldn't beat before. The game is at the point where you need an instakill (or 2 or 3) to have any chance.

Scout has his assist but what ewok can it call to do any real damage?
  • Dretzle
    716 posts Member
    Scout has his assist but what ewok can it call to do any real damage?

Wicket, Logray, and Paploo.

That's what everyone is leaving out as they speculate on the changes. They have no idea what these guys are going to do. Who knows, maybe if they still hit harder they'd be massively OP in the end.

I'll take a wait and see approach.
  • CleverWes
    648 posts Member
    It could have something to do with the three new ewoks. I'd like to believe that's the case as opposed to just nerfing an already middling faction, but...