Community Project - "How do I beat this team ..."

Prev1
TheMegaSage
393 posts Member
edited July 2017
Star Wars; Galaxy of Heroes is a pretty great game, and it has a shocking amount of depth for something that can be played on our phones. There are so many characters, each with so many rocks and papers and scissors, that it can be a bit overwhelming learning to deal with the latest meta group.

I thought it would be useful to start a reference post where various strategies on how to defeat specific characters or certain teams are laid out. For example:

BAZE and CHIRRUT
After Baze's first turn, he will only taunt when Chirrut falls below 100% health or when an enemy is defeated. When facing this duo in a team, a good strategy is to wait for Baze's pre-taunt to fall off, focus down the other 3 characters, and leave Chirrut for last.

Hard counters
Boba Fett's execute
Thrawn's fracture + burn

Obviously there are multiple strategies on dealing with any one character or team, so hopefully this takes off. I'd love to read strategies (especially unusual ones) on how to deal with some of the more powerful teams out there.

Replies

• Dralkyr
    457 posts Member
    I feel like this belongs in Squad and Character Strategy
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Dralkyr wrote: »

Yes, but this also could be a good section for the academy.

@Vampire_X
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »
    Dralkyr wrote: »

Yes, but this also could be a good section for the academy.

@Vampire_X

Oooo....
    giphy.gif
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • GIT GUD.
  • Acrofales
    1363 posts Member
    My jedis deal with him by Yoda BM off the bat, which means he gains a whole load of TM and goes immediately after Yoda... and blows his dispell getting rid of foresight, but leaving tenacity up. That's the scariest part of baze out of the way: his taunt and aoe dispell are gone. Then I leave them til last, usually killing baze first, but if an opportunity presents itself, I'll kill chirrut before baze.
  • Brainsym
    127 posts Member
    I usually Zap him with palp, darth nihilus basic to remove positive buffs. And let the wiggs combo finish him off. Then deal with chirrut and the rest start dropping like flies
    But the problem is if baze's taunt expires and chirrut cleanses, and you have another taunter like GK or even rg. Then that just gets annoying.
  • Waez
    286 posts Member
    it has a shocking amount of depth

Lol no.
  • After Baze's first turn, he will only taunt when Chirrut falls below 100% health or when an enemy is defeated. When facing this duo in a team, a good strategy is to wait for Baze's pre-taunt to fall off, focus down the other 3 characters, and leave Chirrut for last.
    Problem is, if you focus on the other three, and Chirrut uses his As The Force Wills health-equalizer/group-cleanse, Chirrut's health will be reduced, triggering Baze's Taunt.
    So, you need to prevent Chirrut from using his specials, in addition to focusing on the other three.

Or simply trigger a lot of buffs on Baze, and Execute him with Boba. :smile:
  • I use Nihilus and Death Trooper. DT has to be faster than DN. His grenade gets rid of Bazes taunt and increases cooldown for the rest of the enemy squad, than DN increases cooldown again. You can focus on someone else (like Wedge or Rex) and are likely able to kill him before Chirrut can cleanse/heal (due to double cooldown increase and DT tries to Daze+Stun Chirrut with his basic). Deathtrooper can deathmark another guy, Nihilus increases cooldowns again and annihilates Chirrut.

If there is R2 in the enemy squad, you need to save deathtroopers grenade for R2s smoke screen. If there is Nihilus in the enemy squad, you want to annilihate him first. If there is Kenobi in the enemy squad, sometimes you are forced to annihilate him first.
  • Acrofales wrote: »
    My jedis deal with him by Yoda BM off the bat, which means he gains a whole load of TM and goes immediately after Yoda... and blows his dispell getting rid of foresight, but leaving tenacity up. That's the scariest part of baze out of the way: his taunt and aoe dispell are gone. Then I leave them til last, usually killing baze first, but if an opportunity presents itself, I'll kill chirrut before baze.

And I deal with that by adding B2. As soon as Baze goes and misses on all 5 toons, B2 goes and then gets rid of everyone's tenacity up while inflicting buff immunity.
  • Ambassador wrote: »
    After Baze's first turn, he will only taunt when Chirrut falls below 100% health or when an enemy is defeated. When facing this duo in a team, a good strategy is to wait for Baze's pre-taunt to fall off, focus down the other 3 characters, and leave Chirrut for last.
    Problem is, if you focus on the other three, and Chirrut uses his As The Force Wills health-equalizer/group-cleanse, Chirrut's health will be reduced, triggering Baze's Taunt.
    So, you need to prevent Chirrut from using his specials, in addition to focusing on the other three.

Or simply trigger a lot of buffs on Baze, and Execute him with Boba. :smile:

He will trigger it once every 4 turns. More than enough time for you to deal with them. Baze loses his taunts, Chirrut equalizes, remove it from him again, proceed to beat the c out of them.
  • Ere742
    50 posts Member
    Resistance is a great counter. Poe goes first inflicts buff immunity takes away turn meter and expose him resistance troops will go next because of his turn meter gain from exposes. He will then dispel bazes taunt and give resistance more turn meter then make it so r2 or Finn goes next to stun baze and boom. Easy counter
  • Acrofales
    1363 posts Member
    NicolBolas wrote: »
    Acrofales wrote: »

And I deal with that by adding B2. As soon as Baze goes and misses on all 5 toons, B2 goes and then gets rid of everyone's tenacity up while inflicting buff immunity.
    Haven't actually run into this combination anywhere other than GW, and while irritating, there's not enough damage in the team. But yeah, B2 is definitely irritating to face with my jedis. So far it hasn't been a problem in arena, so can't get into specifics on how to deal with that squad. However, in GW I beat the node due to the lack of damage on those teams. It's mostly Chaze, B2, GK and Nilly, which is a lot of health and irritation, but hardly any damage.

Anyway, as I said, I haven't run into Chaze+B2 in arena, so Yoda neutralizing Baze's aoe dispell and pretaunt is a useful trick to have.
  • RFC3092
    15 posts Member
    A decent FO based team can rely on FOST with Advantage, either direct attack or countering towards a taunting Baze. Quite easily repeated if need be, as FO has multiple ways to give FOST Advantage.
  • Baze+Chirrut = no problem
    Baze+Chirrut+GK = problem
  • Spyda
    318 posts Member
    RFC3092 wrote: »
    A decent FO based team can rely on FOST with Advantage, either direct attack or countering towards a taunting Baze. Quite easily repeated if need be, as FO has multiple ways to give FOST Advantage.

You can also use FOTP to give Baze Buff Immunity while you beat on Chirrut
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    If people think this would be fun and engaging we could do a weekly thread in the academy with a team of the week concept.

Let me know! , looking for great content that people want to discuss and engage on as a group.
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • Bhaalor
    1724 posts Member
    Vampire_X wrote: »
    If people think this would be fun and engaging we could do a weekly thread in the academy with a team of the week concept.

Let me know! , looking for great content that people want to discuss and engage on as a group.

I have something like this created on my discord channel, it is very useful. Not everyone is going to have the "hard counter" to something but at least you know the concept.

I.E. The OP was spot on with Baze/Chirrut. Wait for Baze's taunt to fall off, kill everyone else, then work on Baze, then Chirrut. Very easy.

Rex = Dont crit. I.E. the easiest hard counter to Rex is DN, you cannot crit, so you cannot feed him TM, this also works well against GK and Barris who thrive on being crit.

DN = zVader. With dots that dont go away, and that huge health pool, and dots being health percentage based, this chews through his HP like crazy. zFinn and team also destroys this team.

zMaul = Rex (we all know this but hey lets be through); R2 also helps a great deal with his accuracy buff

Wiggs = Maul Daze = No Assists.

Dooku/Ben leads = Not that they are much trouble these days but R2.

zQGJ = B2 (pretty much add B2 to almost any team, especially if you have a fast AOE). Turns go like this. Yoda goes, puts Tenacity up (after foresight is up), your fastest AOE goes, gets rid of all the foresight, B2 gets angry and immediately goes, removing all tenacity up and putting buff block on everyone.

I'm sure there are more; but these are some I was able to hammer out quickly.

• RFC3092
    15 posts Member
    Bhaalor wrote: »

Death Trooper's basic is also good against Biggs (and Baze, too).
  • Acrofales
    1363 posts Member
    Other than just powering through, any clever ways of dealing with the ever-more-present
    Thrawn-DT-Nihilus-Shore-GK teams?

Usually set up for DT to move first, then Nihilus and then Thrawn. Luckily there's only one guy on my shard with the tools to do this, and he prefers Krennic to Shore. However the few times he's slotted in the double-tank strategy it's very lethal.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Baze+Chirrut = no problem
    Baze+Chirrut+GK = problem

My Thrawn TM swaps with my Deathtrooper to start. (My best speed mods are on those two) Deathtrooper AoE dispels which dispels Baze taunt, but usually triggers Kenobi's. Not a waste though since it increases cooldowns on all other enemies who weren't buffed (no tenacity up, or special attacks of any kind).

Next Thrawn fractures Kenobi. Bye bye auto taunt. Baze only taunts if they get a kill, and that isn't happening with them doing basics only (for two rounds after Nihilus goes). At this point I target either their biggest threat (Nihilus), or the quickest kill (Rex) and hit auto. 70-90 seconds later I win.
  • Bhaalor
    1724 posts Member

I dont have my DT anywhere near ready, so my experience with him is very limited, thanks for the tip!
  • Broxxor
    595 posts Member
    All depends on what team you're running and what the rest of the Chaze composition team is
  • Any advice from the group on how my DN team can beat Wiggs teams?

My default arena team is DN (L), Dooku, Palp, SiT, and Rex. I have my Rex fast to get the tenacity up right away, so I target dark side teams whenever possible because they rely so much on negative status effects.

But where I struggle is against Wiggs, especially when they have Chaze. No idea how to beat those guys. I've tried replacing Palp with Sass (who is only 3*). I also sub in Boba for Rex for the extra ability block and dispel. Seems to help a little, but I'm hoping for a better solution.

Any ideas?

Here is my roster: https://swgoh.gg/u/jobiwankenobi/collection/
  • Any advice from the group on how my DN team can beat Wiggs teams?

My default arena team is DN (L), Dooku, Palp, SiT, and Rex. I have my Rex fast to get the tenacity up right away, so I target dark side teams whenever possible because they rely so much on negative status effects.

But where I struggle is against Wiggs, especially when they have Chaze. No idea how to beat those guys. I've tried replacing Palp with Sass (who is only 3*). I also sub in Boba for Rex for the extra ability block and dispel. Seems to help a little, but I'm hoping for a better solution.

Any ideas?

I main DN in my Nov 15 shard. I typically climb up 3xCleanse teams, but wiggs Chaze teams are easy too.
    Drop palp. Under DN, he's too squishy. Bring in SA, and load her up with speed. That means your trooper taunts faster, protecting your team.
    Zavage would be a better fit than rex. Rex is also squishy. Zavage can do a reasonable job cutting down on debuffs, but he won't die. Like, ever. His overpower +SA direct health attack is an awesome combo.

You'll want to gear up your team too obviously. And SA will get better with stars.

With this team, you can win vs almost any team that relies on crits, wiggs included.
  • Mkalmurphy wrote: »
    Any advice from the group on how my DN team can beat Wiggs teams?

Any ideas?

I main DN in my Nov 15 shard. I typically climb up 3xCleanse teams, but wiggs Chaze teams are easy too.
    Drop palp. Under DN, he's too squishy. Bring in SA, and load her up with speed. That means your trooper taunts faster, protecting your team.
    Zavage would be a better fit than rex. Rex is also squishy. Zavage can do a reasonable job cutting down on debuffs, but he won't die. Like, ever. His overpower +SA direct health attack is an awesome combo.

You'll want to gear up your team too obviously. And SA will get better with stars.

With this team, you can win vs almost any team that relies on crits, wiggs included.

Just unlocked the Sass node this morning, so she'll be my next project. I've tried the setup you suggested a few times, but my Sass at 3* is too squishy to handle the Lando and Wedge AoE attacks. Thanks for the advice!
  • Dryff
    672 posts Member
    Just unlocked the Sass node this morning, so she'll be my next project. I've tried the setup you suggested a few times, but my Sass at 3* is too squishy to handle the Lando and Wedge AoE attacks. Thanks for the advice!

I run DN(L), Dooku, Zavage, SiT, and Palp and have no problem at all with Wiggs, especially with Lando in the mix. Dooku's counters pretty much neuter them if they try to use AoE.

One tip would be try not to use Palp's AoE until you take Wedge down. If the stun doesn't land on Biggs (and/or Wedge) you basically just lost the fight.
  • Rapid
    421 posts Member

Not from my experience, far too unreliable. 70% chance is dog **** in this game. every time I've tried it the first hit always gives biggs 100% TM as DT is empire. In fact so much so I thought that daze is only applied after damage? meaning biggs would always get 100% TM on the first go. If biggs is paired with zR2 he then removes his daze immediately with a crit. Then....someone has probably died already. Not a good strategy as I see it.

• AnnerDoon
    1353 posts Member
    Since mods are so quick to move threads recently, shouldn't this one have been moved to Squad and Character Strategy with the others?
  • I'd like to hear some thoughts on the Rex lead, Thrawn, DN, Artoo, GK teams. Preferably strategies where you don't have to compete on high speed secondary mods.
    Barris irl imo idk