Just had the best ever PVP battle :)

Ariella
219 posts Member
Hi, not sure if anyone will find this interest or boring but just wanted to share this story of what has been by far my most epic and enjoyable Squad Arena battle to date.
I’m currently running Thrawn (L) – he has Zeta Unique but not Zeta Leader, Vader, EP, TFP and Shore Trooper.

I’ve been planning to change up the squad a little bit, bring in GMT and/or Death Trooper – each of whom need a bit more gear yet – but it’s been so much fun using Thrawn I’ve been happy to carry on with this setup.

Prior to Thrawn’s release, I used a Zader lead, and had Darth Sidious in the squad. It was lots of fun but certain teams were just a no-go. A Rex lead was OK, but a Rex lead with somebody on auto taunt such as Baze or Shoretrooper was a serious negative, being that I’m specced for Crit Damage/Chance.

I did OK versus most Darth Maul led teams and Resistance teams, and totally fine versus Jedi or other combinations, but Chaze was a problem and Rex was a huge problem.
Well, Thrawn has put pay to this. I’ve had the confidence to attack any Chaze teams irrespective of their leader, even if it’s a Rex. Squads with DN, Zylo and GK have looked pretty scary but have not been impossible to beat.
So, I took the plunge with this particular opponent – all of our characters were Gear XI:

Rex (L), Zylo, DN, Chaze

The fight started and although my TFP is no longer specced for super-speed, as is so often the case he got the first attack. I looked at the line up and thought OK – I’ll use his AOE because it seems to me that Chirrut is going to attack next, and if I’ve got a debuff on a few people, at least they won’t get Tenacity up when he cleanses (as his cleanse works a bit differently to Rex’s). Sadly, the attack gave enough turn meter to Rex through means of Critical Hits that his turn meter overtook Chirrut’s, so of course Rex cleansed and gave everyone Tenacity up anyways. I guess this could have happened even if I’d done a direct shot against Baze but I was annoyed for not having accounted for it.
Darth Nilihus was next up, stealing me of some cooldowns. With Tenacity up on everyone, and the loss of special abilities, I was consigned to hit Baze for another round with all basics. Eventually Baze took his turn and stopped taunting.

I set about doing some basic attacks against Rex to grind him down, bearing in mind specials were pointless as his Tenacity up would last a while yet.
When the time came, I Fractured Baze to get him out of the game, and things started to look good when Tenacity up expired. Eventually Vader got a turn and I was able to use Force Choke, which took Rex to within an inch of his life.
I decided to switch my focus to Darth Nilihus, conscious that he would soon insta-kill someone.
There’s good synergy with TFP/Vader and Thrawn in that TFP’s special and Vader’s basic can apply Ability Block, and Thrawn’s basic stuns an opponent who already has Ability Block, so I worked on stunning DN.

So we come to a point whereby Baze’s Fracture has worn off, but his turn meter is low and he has a few negative status effects on him, not currently in the game. Rex is going to die when he takes his turn, and DN is stunned. Chirrut has a ton of buffs and Kylo has hit me a couple of times and stunned my Shore Trooper, but I’m thinking we’re looking good to start cleaning up soon. I get an area stun by EP which graciously affects all opponents (although Chirrut immediately unstuns himself).
Vader gets his Culling Blade sharpened and ready to strike. I’m looking at people health levels and the number of debuffs on them. Rex is too easy to kill – he’ll die on his own. DN needs more work, Baze needs more work, Kylo has barely been scratched as I’ve purposely not targeted him but Chirrut looks like he might drop. He’s out of protection but has a full health pool.
Culling Blade takes all but a slither of his health but doesn’t kill him, then to my horror, the Critical Hit boosts his turn meter right back up and just before Rex is about to take his fatal turn, Chirrut cleanses everyone.

I was devastated – but it got worse. Within seconds my TFP is 1-hit killed, and my Emperor is hanging on for dear life. How fast things can change!
DN is also no longer stunned. But Fracture is back up, so I use it on him. If I lose another I could well be done for. Out of sheer will my team focus all efforts on Rex and this time, put him in the dust… but they drag my EP down with him.
I’m now in the situation where I have Baze, Chirrut, Zylo and DN to face without 2 of my main damage dealers. DN’s ready to insta-kill someone the second he’s un-fractured. Zylo is praying I drop some negative effects on him. Outlook is bad.
I look at Baze and get an ability block from Vader, and stun from Thrawn’s basic. He drops faster than I can believe… we’re at 3 on 3. I use Thrawn’s unique abilities on my characters to do a bit of cycling of turn meter and special abilities… Vader’s Force Choke is a long way off and I need to re-fracture DN. Luckily for me, the unique special which Thrawn gives to all Empire players also gives 50% turn meter to all Empire players when it’s used… so happily I’m able to re-fracture DN before he takes a turn, Chirrut isn’t too effective at bashing my Shoretrooper, and Kylo thankfully hasn’t gone loco.
I focus on DN, and wear him down with basics, then Chirrut. Using Vader’s ability block and Thrawn’s stun, and Thrawn’s unique specials, I’m able to get Force Choke back off cooldown and eventually line up a few negative effects on Chirrut, enough that the Culling Blade finds its mark at the second time of asking.

I’m down to 3 on 1. There’s a minute on the clock! I can’t recall the last battle that went down to 1 minute. I should be able to beat Kylo right? But can I do it in time? Now I’m hitting him, he’s hitting back hard… the closer he gets to dying, the more protection he’s recovering and the faster he’s becoming… I go through 2 Fractures on him! Eventually, 15 seconds on the clock, he drops.
I’m over the moon at how much fun the battle was. It could no doubt have gone either way, and odds are that if the opponent was attacking my team, when it came to defending I would not have fared half as well. But boy was it fun.
My only regret was that I didn’t have a means to record it to share (can this be done on iphone?), but I hope it wasn’t a totally boring read for anyone who’s taken the time to get this far.

Ari X

Replies

• Good read. I also am ready for iOS devices to have on board recording.
  • Since you shared one of your battles, I'll share one of mine this morning. It was a zQGJ (almost) mirror match. Me, zQGJ L , GK, Yoda, Zarriss, Aayla. Them, zQGJ L , GK, Zarriss, ZYoda, JKA.
    So it went like this.
    Whiff.
    Whiff whiff.
    Whiff whiff whiff whiff whiff whiff.
    Whiff. Hit. Whiff.
    Whiff whiff whiff whiffwhiffwhiffwhiffwhiffwhiffwhiff. Hit.
    ...20 minutes later I win. The end. :D