Do more expensive Cantina battles award with higher chance for shards?

So I'm farming Lando now but the thing is he is avaliable in Cantina battles in two places. First in 1-E (8 energy) and second in 5-F (12 energy). Is there any sense in spending more energy or there's no difference?

Replies

• For shards by themselves, no difference.

The other small rewards, like ship credits, energy, and what, you do get higher amounts.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    more cantina tokens, both ship and normal credits and i also believe you'll have a higher chance of getting purple mats, but you won't have a better droprate on shards.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef wrote: »
    more cantina tokens, both ship and normal credits and i also believe you'll have a higher chance of getting purple mats, but you won't have a better droprate on shards.

Aren't the normal rewards like credits, cantina tokens, etc. the same for the amount of energy spent? The only difference is that with 16 energy nodes you will waste about 10 sim tickets for 400 cantina tokens and with 8 energy nodes you will waste 20.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

Aren't the normal rewards like credits, cantina tokens, etc. the same for the amount of energy spent? The only difference is that with 16 energy nodes you will waste about 10 sim tickets for 400 cantina tokens and with 8 energy nodes you will waste 20.

no, they increase slightly.

• Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    The increase in Cantina credits on the higher energy nodes is negligible. It's entirely not worth it to farm a higher node for that reason.
    swgoh.gg profile: Pyrefly -- Check out my Galactic Power Tables and my TB Phase Info Tables !!
  • Ktql85
    22 posts Member
    Drop rate doesn't change with how much the energy cost is. Credits and whatnot do increase with the energy cost, but as far as cantina currency, you end up getting the same on 12 energy and 16 energy modes when you factor in energy cost vs total amount received. I did the math and it evens out after I think 200 energy spent.
  • leef wrote: »

I mean credits go up by 2500, but cantina tokens go from 13 to 28(so +1), xp stays the same. Pretty much nothing changes. As to the rewards, imo more chances = more shards. People might argue with me, but at least this is how it works for me.
  • Ambassador
    1653 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Some number crunching.

1-E : 1000 credits, 13 tokens.
    5-F : 4500 credits, 21 tokens, 1200 ship credits.

So, for 50% increase in energy, you get more than four times the credits (3 times as much if you account for extra energy), negligible tokens, but the selling point might be ship credits.

So, farming 330 Lando shards takes 1100 attempts, which will represent either 8800 or 13200 Cantina energy. You get 165 free every day, so assuming three energy refills to bring that to (360+165) 525 energy, it'll take 18 or 27 days.
    If you go with 5-F, you'll get (1100*3500) 3.850.000 additional credits, and (1100*1200) 1.320.000 ship credits. Those come at the cost of 9 extra days of farming plus 27 Cantina energy refreshes (or 2700 crystals). For 2700 crystals, you can take five times the mega-pack of credits, which gives usually around 600k credits (rarely more, it's a gamble), if you really are in need of credits. So, the real benefit is a modicum amount of ship credits.

IMHO, farming 5-F is not worth the extra energy expenditure. There are plenty ways of getting credits, from Credit Heist to GW, and these rely on having enough characters.

So, pick 1-E. :wink:

Edit: and if you really need ship currency, buy them from Cantina store.
  • What @Adm_Gosular said. No to extra shards. That's RNG. Yes to the other stuff.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Ktql85 wrote: »
    Drop rate doesn't change with how much the energy cost is. Credits and whatnot do increase with the energy cost, but as far as cantina currency, you end up getting the same on 12 energy and 16 energy modes when you factor in energy cost vs total amount received. I did the math and it evens out after I think 200 energy spent.

only for the 12 and 16 energy nodes. 10 is slightly worse, and 8 is again slightly worse than 10.
    Pyrefly wrote: »
    The increase in Cantina credits on the higher energy nodes is negligible. It's entirely not worth it to farm a higher node for that reason.

I mean credits go up by 2500, but cantina tokens go from 13 to 28(so +1), xp stays the same. Pretty much nothing changes. As to the rewards, imo more chances = more shards. People might argue with me, but at least this is how it works for me.

you definetely get more shards per energy spend on the lower energy nodes, but you get slightly more credits, tokens per energy spend. Imo it's not worth it and i assume pretty much everyone agrees with that.
  • Ship credits don't show up until node 5 I think. For Lando do the node 1 battle for 8 cantina energy.
  • Every node in the game has a 33% drop rate on character shards except the ones that don't have character shards at all, where it's of course 0%. Gear drop rates depend on what the energy cost of the lowest missions with that gear are. The lower gear drops at a higher rate. Cantina missions tell you how much cantina currency each mission gives you, and that does increase for the higher energy. If allyou want is that, you can calculate which nodes are best. I did it once and can't remember what it turned up, because it's rare that that's what I care most about. (It mattered to get characters from cantina shop in time for Thrawn, so I was making calculations then.) Most of the time the thing I most want from cantina missions is character shards, so I do the lowest energy cost missions I can for the character I'm working on, because it doesn't make sense to pay more energy to get the same shards.