The definition of a casual gamer...

Disclamer: This is my opinion, the purpose of this post is to help those who do not understand what a "casual" gamer is or, to simply offer a new perspective for experienced gamers alike.
P.S this will be a long read so if that isn't your thing, turn back now. If you are sticking around then i would love to hear what your opinions are on the subjects i cover here today.

A casual gamer by definition should mean that someone games casually, as in "for fun or recreational purposes" .
However in todays society, it means something a whole lot different.

Alot of people nowadays are infact NOT casual gamers even though some of them would deacribe themselves as that.
This example I am about to give you is the result of a real conversation that happened between me and a few friends whilst working.

In todays world we see supposed "hardcore or real" gamers blaming "casuals" for dilluting or ruining the beloved games they play.
This also happens in reverse formula.
Now i will touch on this a little later, right now I want to ahare with you what a REAL casual looks like at least in my mind so here goes.......
They buy a game..or 2..or 3 etc etc.
They play said games as and when they get the spare time(usually a real casual doesnt have time to spend alot on gaming).
They play single player ..usually on lower difficulties abd they like co-op online modes and some pve content. This is fun to them and now for the multiplayer.
Normally they really dont care about winning or losing but just are happy to play.
Weapon balance, game patch notes etc? Not an issue for the casual player, infact, most of them are not even aware when a patch goes live what it actually means to the game they play.
These people have fun no matter what's happening online, now we will talk about spending money.
Casuals dont spend alot of time in games and therefor are pretty unlikely to drop extra money on it as its not really a worthwhile investment to them.

TRANSITION FROM CASUAL GAMER: in this part i will explain what happens when a casual gamer starts to invest more time and in some cases money, into a game because they are hooked .
This happens every week in gaming, lets face it gaming is no longer a side-passtime anymore.
New people get properly into gaming..they start wanting to win..wanting to improve..watching youtube and taking to gaming forums for info or in some cases to complain.
When an individual does any or all of the above, they by my definition of the words are no longer a casual gamer.

Now to conclude , i am well aware that not every gamer is either hardcore or casual. It is simply not that black and white in gaming.
I myself am not hardcore..but to some people they would describe me that way.
It is all opinion.

Some people think hardcore gamers are sweaty nerds who live in a basement drinking red bull all day eating dorritos
Some people think ALL gamers are like this (lol get with the times)
We should all be playing games for fun at the end of the day. Some of us have more fun when we are winning in multiplayer.. some of us NEED to win to have fun and some of us get really **** off when a sniper ruines our run and gun style of play.

Whatever type of gamer you are just remember, if you care about winning, if you spend reasonable amounts of your weekly life gaming or watching/reading gaming content or spend actual real world money on in-game purchases. You are no longer casual. Accept it and we can all get along.

Thanks for reading and i look forward to hearing your opinions even of you disagree keep it clean . Peace.

Replies

• Labeling people to fit your personal ideals is juvenile. Trying to force others to accept your silly labels is even worse.

Writing a 2k word forum post to where you pretend to drop some serious knowledge on us ignorant masses, while rambling and contradicting yourself constantly, is something else entirely.
  • Casual gamer 12-16 hours a day straight 7 days a week - you can do your work in the background
  • APX_919
    2468 posts Member
    Casual gamer 12-16 hours a day straight 7 days a week - you can do your work in the background

Only 12 hours a day? Definitely a casual gamer, us hardcore guys don't even remember what sleep is. Or reality or the touch of another human being but that's life...sort of.
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • Labeling people to fit your personal ideals is juvenile. Trying to force others to accept your silly labels is even worse.

Writing a 2k word forum post to where you pretend to drop some serious knowledge on us ignorant masses, while rambling and contradicting yourself constantly, is something else entirely.

Well said.
  • APX_919 wrote: »
    Casual gamer 12-16 hours a day straight 7 days a week - you can do your work in the background

Only 12 hours a day? Definitely a casual gamer, us hardcore guys don't even remember what sleep is. Or reality or the touch of another human being but that's life...sort of.

What is a human? Sounds gross... Definitely would rather just touch my lap top.
  • *doritos and Mountain Dew.
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    Labeling people to fit your personal ideals is juvenile. Trying to force others to accept your silly labels is even worse.

Well said.

I agree. Well said. I would also add, what was the real point of all of that?
  • Jonsolo32 wrote: »
    *doritos and Mountain Dew.

I prefer pringles and root beer for my gaming snacks
  • Uh by his definition I don't think swgoh has many casual gamers... Besides the money part I match up to his hardcore definition... does that make me cool? B)
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Jonsolo32 wrote: »

And pop tarts. But only the strawberry frosted ones, or the double chocolate fudge ones that make you sick every time you eat the whole box. I never learn...
  • ExarTheKun wrote: »
    Jonsolo32 wrote: »

And pop tarts. But only the strawberry frosted ones, or the double chocolate fudge ones that make you sick every time you eat the whole box. I never learn...

Lol never tried it dont plan in it.
  • Easybee
    140 posts Member
    Hardcore : playing games in a manner that precludes other activities.

Casual : playing he's in a manner that allows you to do other things while gaming. Like office work, cooking, giving the kid a bath, driving the car, pooping, sleeping...

Sure kid whatever you say.
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    Easybee wrote: »
    Hardcore : playing games in a manner that precludes other activities.

Casual : playing he's in a manner that allows you to do other things while gaming. Like office work, cooking, giving the kid a bath, driving the car, pooping, sleeping...

This sounds accurate. Sometimes I get a game that makes me sacrifice an hour or two of the hour or two of sleep I get every night. Eventually the hype dies down, but I find myself zombying out for games on occasion.

Usually though I just play while I'm stuffing my face at lunch or right before I leave for work. I play this game on the toilet around payout. Only time I can get the sniping in.
  • J7Luke
    484 posts Member
    • Casual plays Quick Play, Hardcore plays Competitive/Tournaments/Ranked
    • Casual spends some/no money, Hardcore spends much more money
    • Casual plays a few games, Hardcore plays many games
    • Casual thinks games are hobbies, Hardcore thinks games are a lifestyle
    • Casual plays for fun, Hardcore plays for stats
    Other Signs of Hardcore:
    • Posting Guides
    • Posting YouTube Videos or Streaming Gameplay
    • Has a High-Tech Gaming Setup
    • Is Part of 1 or More Gaming Leagues/Groups

That said, I think that there is a spectrum with Casual on one end and Hardcore on the other. 90% of us fall somewhere in between.
  • J7Luke wrote: »
    • Casual plays Quick Play, Hardcore plays Competitive/Tournaments/Ranked
    • Casual spends some/no money, Hardcore spends much more money
    • Casual plays a few games, Hardcore plays many games
    • Casual thinks games are hobbies, Hardcore thinks games are a lifestyle
    • Casual plays for fun, Hardcore plays for stats
    Other Signs of Hardcore:
    • Posting Guides
    • Posting YouTube Videos or Streaming Gameplay
    • Has a High-Tech Gaming Setup
    • Is Part of 1 or More Gaming Leagues/Groups

That said, I think that there is a spectrum with Casual on one end and Hardcore on the other. 90% of us fall somewhere in between.

I agree.. thats why its different today because the gaming industry has changed so much that its not so black and white anymore.
    I see too many people arguing pointlessly over these things and it obscures the actual constructive feedback developers need to gauge what people think.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Labeling people to fit your personal ideals is juvenile. Trying to force others to accept your silly labels is even worse.

Wow, you didn't hold back on that one did you? lol
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Number of paragraphs: 28
    Number of sentences: 33
    There is a problem with this ratio. As for the content of your post: whatever you say, chief. Did somebody call you a casual? Sticks and stones, don't you know.