Recent Discussions Tab

Prev1
sying
982 posts Member
I understand the thought process behind moving threads to where they need to go. It makes sense. But now we have to look through everything to look for those few discussions that are actually worth it.

That brings me to my topic. If we go to recent discussions we get every discussion. Including the guild recruitment ones. Most people are already in a guild and don't need to make a change. This just seems unnecessary. Not to mention any other spam that gets put out there.

It just seems to me that you're making it harder to use these forums instead of easier.

Replies

• Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    I only use the forum on my iPad as I get the desktop version, as I find the mobile version annoying and outdated, tried to tap the go full option, then I got something that looked like the desktop version but without the category section, making it even worse to browse through the threads
    I hope with all this cleaning and putting threads in their respective categories, that they give the mobile version of the forum a long needed overhaul
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • I must agree with the OP. I understand the intent of moving threads the instant they appear, but it seems the net effect is just to kill forum traffic.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I must agree with the OP. I understand the intent of moving threads the instant they appear, but it seems the net effect is just to kill forum traffic.

The end goal is to have a better forum experience where people can find what they are looking for by having them segmented into the correct spots.

Many good posts die quickly on page 2 of general, the goal is to have them stick around longer on page one of their respective sections.

#maketheforumsgreatagain
  • I must agree with the OP. I understand the intent of moving threads the instant they appear, but it seems the net effect is just to kill forum traffic.

Agreed. Horrible idea.

Well maybe there are a few posts you can move automatically that will make the forums better overall...

GW is too hard
    Chaze is Op
    Zeta drop rate is bad
    I think they changed the drop rate..
    It takes too long to farm *insert gear name*

• Kyno wrote: »
    I must agree with the OP. I understand the intent of moving threads the instant they appear, but it seems the net effect is just to kill forum traffic.

The end goal is to have a better forum experience where people can find what they are looking for by having them segmented into the correct spots.

Many good posts die quickly on page 2 of general, the goal is to have them stick around longer on page one of their respective sections.

#maketheforumsgreatagain

I hope it works. Things change, this might do what you want.
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »

#maketheforumsgreatagain

As I said in my original post, I understand the intent. At least in the short term it appears as though traffic is down. I don't have all the data to support that as I'm sure mods or devs do. Hopefully as people get used to the change, things will get back to normal.
  • If threads get moved into the appropriate sub forum, what belongs in General? Seems to defeat the purpose of a General category. Serious question. I can find a sub forum for every post in General.
  • Hskull55
    2263 posts Member
    Yes, every 5 minutes there is a new guild recruitment post that will stay with 0 replies and 13 views. It will be better if this posts were only in PvP and rivalry.
    My collection https://swgoh.gg/u/Hskull55/
    Sorry for my English :]
  • xanderxman wrote: »
    If threads get moved into the appropriate sub forum, what belongs in General? Seems to defeat the purpose of a General category. Serious question. I can find a sub forum for every post in General.

Kind of on topic for current events. So....mega threads? Lol. Not a big fan of the idea, but at least it's given me a reason to visit the forums less.
  • Kind of on topic for current events. So....mega threads? Lol. Not a big fan of the idea, but at least it's given me a reason to visit the forums less.

Agreed. Not a fan and I will visit less given the new change. Kinda wierd for an official forum. Make it harder to interact.

• ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    Honestly, I'm okay with the new method. Only thing I would change is the "recent discussions" by removings the guild recruitment threads. People know where to find these. Jist want to see startegy and ideas in the recent discussions section :)
  • Strategy and ideas can be moved to the Squad and Character Strategy section. There is a sub section for any post already. General is apparently not needed any longer.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    xanderxman wrote: »
    Strategy and ideas can be moved to the Squad and Character Strategy section. There is a sub section for any post already. General is apparently not needed any longer.

There are many threads still here, much like this one. :smile:
    ExarTheKun wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm okay with the new method. Only thing I would change is the "recent discussions" by removings the guild recruitment threads. People know where to find these. Jist want to see startegy and ideas in the recent discussions section :)

Thats an interesting idea, maybe post in feedback section for the website. They could add a "recent discussion" favorite list so its only populated with what you want to see.
    There are many threads still here, much like this one. :smile:

Very true but this could easily be moved to Feedback.

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    As many of you have asked whats the point:
    Moving forward, we hope General stays Generally on topic with current events, but in addition work is being done to ensure the forums receive the proper engagement in order to filter feedback.

this is the direct quote from Kozi, The general theme is keep current topics, like the "recent discussion" changes open for discussion and sort out older or repeated topics to proper areas.

We really hope to see you all around and come back to check out how this new setup grows and evolves. :smile:
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Nice, we can now blame @kyno because he became a mod =D
    Save water, drink champagne!
    Moving forward, we hope General stays Generally on topic with current events, but in addition work is being done to ensure the forums receive the proper engagement in order to filter feedback.

this is the direct quote from Kozi, The general theme is keep current topics, like the "recent discussion" changes open for discussion and sort out older or repeated topics to proper areas.

We really hope to see you all around and come back to check out how this new setup grows and evolves. :smile:
    Thats cool and everything, but since this change I now frequent the forums much less, and it appears I'm not alone, so tell us again how you're making the forums great again. Just yesterday there was a similar thread open and it was closed and responses to it were deleted which is kind of what the op of that thread was complaining about to begin with. Ironic. Also I like how you (the mods) seem to think you know better than us (the posters) where we want our threads posted, viewed, and discussed.

And recent discussion tab just sucks. Imho. So save that argument.
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Had "General" not been inundated w/ ppl that wanted to spam...

"join my ghetto guild, I am too stubborn to merge and this is too important to go in the recruitment section"

"Nerf Chaze"

"GW is too hard"

"My not-so brilliant idea on new characters and skills I think they should have"

"So-and-so must b cheating, I can't beat them"

"Can I get EP/R2/Thrawn w/ this as a bare minimum"

"When r EP/R2/Thrawn coming again"

And tons of other worthless drivel, Mods wouldn't have had to take this step. It's not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction.
    Post edited by Poxx on
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    Dark_Light wrote: »

Thats cool and everything, but since this change I now frequent the forums much less, and it appears I'm not alone, so tell us again how you're making the forums great again. Just yesterday there was a similar thread open and it was closed and responses to it were deleted which is kind of what the op of that thread was complaining about to begin with. Ironic. Also I like how you (the mods) seem to think you know better than us (the posters) where we want our threads posted, viewed, and discussed.

I'm not really complaining so much as providing constructive criticism for something new to all of us. Also, I did see that thread and thought it was close prematurely, which does seem to happen a lot.

This may see off topic, but I'm going to swing it around in the end: a lot of the forum regulars from a year ago or even half a year ago are gone. Some of those people were good contributors. Every once in a while I will go through some of my old posts. I would see names of regulars that aren't here anymore and then wonder why I still bother. Swinging back around now, what is this new format going to do to the regulars that are left? Just a thought.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    leef wrote: »

Yep it's all my fault, :cry:

Firstly, I understand you don't like change. None of us do.

If a thread was closed, there were reasons. Please read the forum guidelines, I'm sure you will see reasons it was closed.

We (the mods) are just here trying to help you (the posters) as best we can. If you have feedback on what we are doing, there is a section for that :wink: . Please post there and help us help you.

Nothing is perfect and we can always make it better.
  • If you look at the number of views for posts in the subforums vs general discussion you can see that people just don't visit them. There are some posts that are several weeks old & still on the first page of a subforum with only 20 or so views. In general discussion the majority of posts have hundreds of views & some have thousands.

I think part of the problem is people not knowing about the recent discussions option. I mentioned this in another thread, but if the recent discussions link was placed where general discussions is, it would be easier for the masses to find where the chatter/new posts are at.
    leef wrote: »

Yep it's all my fault, :cry:

Firstly, I understand you don't like change. None of us do.

If a thread was closed, there were reasons. Please read the forum guidelines, I'm sure you will see reasons it was closed.

We (the mods) are just here trying to help you (the posters) as best we can. If you have feedback on what we are doing, there is a section for that :wink: . Please post there and help us help you.

Nothing is perfect and we can always make it better.

Well I'll give you a bit of feedback right now, condescending answers like this are not welcomed. And second you're not helping by merging threads, as already stated in another post, which was then deleted, I have faith that people are posting exactly where they want to and do not require assistance in that particular area. I 100% agree all the nerf this and that, and guild postings do not need to be in general, but it feels like you guys are going overboard. Especially with the merging to mega-thread. When people are discussing different aspects of new game content or character releases and it all gets smashed together into an incoherent mess, it's not a very appealing read.
  • Oh and I'm all for change, just have some common sense about it.

Agreed. Horrible idea.

Well maybe there are a few posts you can move automatically that will make the forums better overall...

GW is too hard
    Chaze is Op
    Zeta drop rate is bad

Yes also:

Jedi luke
    When is thrawn (& r2) coming back?
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    I have lost my faith in ppl. I agree w/ u that they post where they want it to be, but that happens to be the improper section "General" a large part of the time bcuz they know it will get more views.

I saw nothing condescending in Kyno's response. I don't believe trying to add a little humor counts.

I do agree that the merging to megathread is out of hand.

This, like anything new, will temper in time...i hope.
  • I like the intent and I agree general got too messy, but like a cluttered room where you personally can at least find things, I knew how to navigate it - ignore what I wanted - and still find interesting threads. Now though I can't find anything and yeah the forum seems dead the last few days / week maybe. Will have to poke around a bit more.
  • Kalano
    415 posts Member

Agreed. Horrible idea.

GW is too hard
    Chaze is Op
    Zeta drop rate is bad

Yes also:

Jedi luke

Agreed!!! Plus: rancor solo teams. Those could be crowdsourced in the Academy. @Vampire_X
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    All Change is Bad, I read that in a book!

But in all seriousness, Monday was slower! Kyno and Kozi have already laid out great points and discussion tab but , we are not all perfect and given all change is evil - it may take time to make it work perfect!

But lets break down some of the things moving and general:

General: Current Events, Communuty popular items/projects, upcoming events, new meta and toon discussion, game updates, all the in the now things! (Hopefully cut down the same 4 posts asking when luke is coming on page 1! As an example)

The stuff finding new homes!
    Dream Kits/Wish List Toon/Fake New Char Kits/Add (faction)(toon)(era)/I love/hate (Toon): those really fall under Character Feedback.

All Squad Comps and Strat: thats the 2nd and most utilized area prior to moves
    -There tends to be 100's of similar posts over time, hopefully better more seen threads help there!

Bugs/Issues: posting (this doesnt work threads) in general is not where kozi and QA are - so this is less helpful and we tended to move these anyway but not always.

Off Topics: subjective but things like other sites, movies, issues, items are not really game facing - and most forums have a OT area.

Ships: Ships!

Guild Ads/Spam/Issues: Player Guilds

Ally code/bragging arena issues: PVP/Rivarly

Gal War: GW section - at this point NRAJ and multiple others have laid out the GW intent and current form, so its all feedback for the team to see, so having that in one spot is actually more productive (but over the last month this has already been happening, pretty sure its been obvious)

Finally,

When events end taking them off Main General , when posting in the threads tends to stop naturally and them going to the Event Feedback section, so they have a chance at continued life or reference in the future.

And like all things , Kozi monitoring the results and trying to make the place better for us all! We have a lot of new admin group added so you will see a lot more posting, and communication and keep adding to the things people said they wanted most.
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Kalano wrote: »

Agreed. Horrible idea.

GW is too hard
    Chaze is Op
    Zeta drop rate is bad

Yes also:

Jedi luke

Agreed!!! Plus: rancor solo teams. Those could be crowdsourced in the Academy. @Vampire_X

I would love to have great content we could discuss and archive in the Academy, much like HAAT this week - or the idea of Comp Strat Discussion (weekly meta team counters!) I am all ears for things people want to discuss with ingame strategy to make that section super useful for new/developing players!
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • warmonkey
    1314 posts Member
    I have seen this change in other forums. Not for long though since I no longer go to them. I have already stopped coming here as often recently and didn't know why till I saw the threads about posts being moved.

I actually love organizeing stuff but forums are a place to go to and quickly see what's new. If it's not quick and easy to do then I personally lose interest. I want to click on a page and quickly browse it. Not click on a bunch of pages hoping something is new there or interesting. I tried "recent discussions" and didn't like it the way it is currently.

I also fear change, so I am leaving it open that my opinion is wrong.
This discussion has been closed.