Would you purchase more in the store if there was a 30% decrease

Replies

• Ivadek
    60 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes
    Prices are way too high. They should focus more on casual gamers. A lot of my friends play this game me too and we are all f2p but not because we wouldnt spend but because we wouldnt spend 60-100$.
    We would easily spend like 5-15$a month if something good sale is on. but nope only sales are 50$+ so we will still be f2p ...
  • Options
    No
    No. Several reasons:

1. This game is a morally questionable (to put it mildly) money-grabbing scheme. Think about it for a moment. Right now I can buy XCOM2, an amazing game that at least hundreds of people worked on for years, for £35 on Steam, or I can pay £45 to unlock two characters in a phone game. I'd maybe pay if it was £4, and I'd still feel I'm overpaying.

2. When EA says "30% off", there's a good chance they just hope you can't do basic math. Example: current "30% off" training bot offer in the store. You can get 7 bots for 60 crystals from shipments, or 45 bots for 380 from the store. That's 8.57 per bot vs 8.44 per bot. No matter how I look at it, the difference is not 30%. Of course, that only means the bot pack available in store will be much more expensive than the shipments option later, but still the "30% off" meant to lure you is pure ****.
  • chimiXchanga
    26 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes
    Ripley wrote: »
    No. Several reasons:

1. This game is a morally questionable (to put it mildly) money-grabbing scheme. Think about it for a moment. Right now I can buy XCOM2, an amazing game that at least hundreds of people worked on for years, for £35 on Steam, or I can pay £45 to unlock two characters in a phone game. I'd maybe pay if it was £4, and I'd still feel I'm overpaying.

2. When EA says "30% off", there's a good chance they just hope you can't do basic math. Example: current "30% off" training bot offer in the store. You can get 7 bots for 60 crystals from shipments, or 45 bots for 380 from the store. That's 8.57 per bot vs 8.44 per bot. No matter how I look at it, the difference is not 30%. Of course, that only means the bot pack available in store will be much more expensive than the shipments option later, but still the "30% off" meant to lure you is pure ****.

I just wanted to add to your No. 2, quoting a message left by @EA_Jesse somewhere in this forum, the math done to that is false and wrong as you didn't add the value required to refresh the shipments for each stack of bots.

• Options
    Yes
    Ripley wrote: »
    No. Several reasons:

No 2 has been answered above.

No 1, you seriously want to put money grabbing as a negative in a commercial venture? That's what all businesses do! And comparing Xcom whatever, I come from a PC background too. But you do know the IAP model is the standard in mobile games, right? In fact EA is late to the party!

I suggest you leave moralistic comments out of the discussion unless you are specifically talking of cheating/ lying etc. AFAIK, no one's being forced to buy anything.
  • Calus_78
    504 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes
    Did they reduce the price on crystals and the Jedi pack or are my eye deceiving me?
  • Options
    Yes
    Calus_78 wrote: »
    Did they reduce the price on crystals and the Jedi pack or are my eye deceiving me?

Prices are the same for me. Not gonna lie, was excited for a quick minute.
  • Calus_78
    504 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes
    I dunno if they accidentally had American pricing for me but what ever it was it's back to normal.

Curious how much is the American prices are.
  • Options
    Yes
    Problem is for each person saying you'd never spend money is someone is standing behind you with the bag with a money sign on it throwing it at them.

Yes they would make way more if they priced things cheaply and sold more of them over time. But I do not fundamentally believe these types of companies intend on the long term. They are here to scorch the earth as quickly as possible. So they would rather make 60 a piece off this 40% than to make 10 a piece off 99%
  • Options
    Yes
    Calus_78 wrote: »
    I dunno if they accidentally had American pricing for me but what ever it was it's back to normal.

Curious how much is the American prices are.

US$59.99 for Jedi Pack, US$19.99 for 2800 Crystals.
  • Options
    I'm on board with most of the above ,bottom line is this game is ridiculously expensive and there needs to be higher Crystal payouts or less expensive refreshes.I find myself spending all of my energy on farming and gearing up and it's borderline not even fun anymore ,and now I'm invested and I want to get to the F2P level so that the game will somewhat sustain its self
  • Options
    Yes
    Ace5 wrote: »
    When Warcraft costs $15/month why would I drop $60-100/month to play a game w much less content on a handheld?
    You nailed it.

EA if they really want to make lots of $, they should make plenty of items available at $0.99 cents each.

Give people the flexibility to make small purchases. I bet not many responsible people blow 59.99 on Jedi packs.

If this game is your life and can spare large amounts of money buying packs...more power to you.

But EA needs to realize that if they want to create mass appeal they need to try to convert F2P to paying customers.

I am not cheap but I never will see the value in dropping big bucks for a iOS game. But if it was few bucks then yah I can skip a latte and buy something in game once in a while.

But good news is...some other game will come along and they always do and folks like me will start playing it.

$0s spent and still having fun.

+1 - very well said - current pricing on jedi pack is literally a JOKE, seriously. I am happy skipping a latte or two to make some in-game purchases but their pricing is off.
  • Options
    WAY OFF!
  • Options
    At least 70% less. I bet they would make 2 times the revenue if that pack that is being sold for $60 was sold for $15-$20
  • Skeetabyte42
    325 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes
    Actually, if you took all the hours spent playing and converted it into per-hour wages, the current pricing would be a BARGAIN!

"But we don't think about man-hours wasted, silly man!! Off to grind for toons!!"

:astonished:
  • Options
    Yes
    @chimiXchanga
    Better see you in the theater tonight ;)
  • Options
    Yes
    I'd throw them a few bucks if prices were cheaper for sure.
  • Options
    Yes
    Yeah, earlier I was seeing American prices for sure
  • Options
    No
    Sell toons like its a fire sale and EA you will be looking for new containers to store all that money.

Volume sales at low prices = more money
    Economics 101.

Try to convert f2p into paying customers if you want to survive.

0.99c per toon or set of shards or other items is the way to go.

Don't forget to send me a 1% check for profits made.
    ;)
  • DingleTingle
    210 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    No
    For me to spend more they need to increase the quality of character testing. It is a joke right now. Pricing model is what it is.
    Bye Forums.
  • Options
    No
    For me to spend more they need to increase the quality of character testing. It is a joke right now. Pricing model is what it is.

What you mean by character testing? Please elaborate.
  • Options
    Yes
    Any decrease would be nice, as we have only seen an increase in the price of crystals and bundles so far. I would spend a lot more on crystals if it was at least 30% off, but I do agree cheaper bundles/crystals or just more value for your $ in general would really entice me to buy stuff more often
  • Options
    DaKraken wrote: »
    At least 70% less. I bet they would make 2 times the revenue if that pack that is being sold for $60 was sold for $15-$20

Yes +1 Can a Dev please post some statistics after they try this so we can all stop crying and the game can be properly funded? (I personally think the price is extreme)
  • Options
    Yes
    I figure I would have spent 25% or so more had the prices seemed more fair and balanced.

Right now, the game is a blatant rip-off and a very obvious money grab from a dedicated fanbase of a Brand IP (Star Wars).

Just EA being EA.

To be honest, EA has never understood marketing. They could easily increase their profitability with some more modern marketing approaches. Instead, they always money grab up front and hard discount on the downside. Old school and inefficient marketing approach. They are entirely dependent on their licensing properties (Madden, Star Wars, Transformers, etc.). Which is a TERRIBLE way to do business because you are overly dependent on other businesses IP. BAD MOVE. As soon as Disney says 'We're going with Activision this time around.' EA is hosed and loses a massive revenue stream and has nothing of their own to replace it. The peaks and valleys in EAs approach is terrible on paper for companies like Disney to look at. They prefer a smooth even growth line... Unpredictability is terrible for a public company.

A smoother pricing model that encourages more smaller investments that keep gamers coming back and getting more value for their dollar and increased playtime around a content growth focused model is much more favorable.
  • Abyss
    1651 posts Member
    Options
    Yes
    While i agree that less = more essentially, the endgame is likely not oo dif in terms of profit initially. However, i could see them doing this and it driving away the whales (which in any model is where the bull of the revenue flows from). I say this because if more ppl had access to the same content cheaper then more ppl wouod have it making the whales purchases less of an advantage. If whales cant buy a clear advantage then they wont buy and will go where they can buy an advantage.

Its not black/white and there are exceptions to every rule.

I think a compromise on this could be
    1) Event sales, special items like shards, recharges, etc that are for sale sale individually so like $1-5 each depending on the item.
    2) holiday specials
    3) multiple subscription options
    4) a weekly toon sale, once a week (saturday special or something) where 3 random toons are put up for sale individually

Just a few ideas in case the devs read this :)
  • Options
    No
    Noobslayer wrote: »
    I too think the packs and crystals are over prices but on the other hand the royalties ea has to pay to Disney/Lucas for the use of the franchise can't be cheap

Totally disagree with the royalty angle.

This is free game in terms of true product cost and can be enjoyed without paying a single cent.

Payment is required only if you need shiny stuff.

No business model relies on the few big spenders.
    If EA is indeed running on that model then their CEO needs to be fired asap as he failed hard in his business school.

You want to make money you always use the bait and switch model.

You get your customers heavily addicted with free stuff then "seduce" them with low priced upgrades.

Anytime you spend small amounts of $s you don't realize how much you actually spend on stuff.
    But spending $59.99 in one shot is hard for majority of players.

In any game casuals > hardcores when it comes to numbers.
    Hardcores will always buy stuff no matter what the price is.
    Company will make big bucks by pushing products which are accessible to the casuals.

Sorry just my 2 cents.... o:)
  • Options
    No
    I think a lot of research and design goes into pricing. This game is clearly targeted at the Star Wars nerd who is 40-50 years old with a technical degree with money to spend on collections. This is a different market than say clash or boom beach or game of war. They know people would pay a lot and charge for it.

I think that the poll here is false results in that the amount of increased spending would be minimal and the amount of discount varried between each responder.

• Options
    No
    Greg1920 wrote: »
    I think a lot of research and design goes into pricing. This game is clearly targeted at the Star Wars nerd who is 40-50 years old with a technical degree with money to spend on collections.
    I think you missed to add two more items in the player profile: single, lives in mama's basement.

Note: I am 23, female, not a techie degree holder but an economics major. Plenty of folks I know (under 25) love and play this game.
  • Qleak
    420 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    No
    DaKraken wrote: »

Maybe, this is assuming that the people buying the pack actually stay playing the game longer than the people who grind it out. I'm guessing based on my personal experience with oldschool games that if you can pay your way to the top, you are much less likely to keep playing unless you are heavily invested.

There could be some alternative pricing going on here too. The smallest crystal pack of $1.99 doesn't seem like such a big deal compared to $60 heck even the $20 for a chest of crystals doesn't seem that bad of a deal. So maybe they are trying to actually sell more of their more modestly priced items.

Anyway this is perhaps too bold of a claim without looking at actual in game sales data which they most certainly have a long history to see (probably over the entire history of ea and mobile gaming).

• Options
    I would happily spend about $20 a month on this game if there were more options. The only thing they have in that range is the daily shards and those get you much less for your money than the older subscriptions so it makes it hard to do those on principle alone. That and with the changes to the events you get less for your crystals so between that and the escalating prices to use crystals on refreshes each day it makes them a less desirable purchase anyway. Cheaper packs would get my money but right now I think I may just stick to F2P (minus the starter pack I have already purchased)