Droid strats and comps in the meta

Prev13456
Woodroward
3749 posts Member
I decided to create a post where we could discuss droid comps and strategies for various comps and characters that are "Meta'

The idea is for people to post their solutions for the various characters and combos that are notoriously tough for droids to beat.

To make it a good strategy thread, i think a hood firms would be to start by naming the problem comp followed by either naming a droid counter or asking for one.

I'll start with an example:
Chirrut and Baze

Counter I use is B2 and K2S0. Wait to tackle them until you have buff immunity on baze and daze on chirrut to take out chirrut. He's first unless you can't land buff immunity on Baze. Then Daze Baze and take him out first.

Replies

• Wiggs + anything but chase

For me what has worked by now is the great K2SO, some people daze Wedge I rather daze Biggs just to avoid the turn meter gain after crits too and since I run R2 I stun Wedge first and if I don't get to stun him is the first I take down with my first burst

PS: Awesome idea man!
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    Zader + Sidious + Palpatine
    Normally old Palps is first priority because droids seem to be extra susceptible to stuns (could just be in my head though). However, Sidious's fast AoE with DoTs just ends up being too much cumulative damage to survive with the Zader lead once his DoTs get added as well.

There's no real required characters for this one outside of a faster than their Sidious Jawa Engineer for opening zerg and hk for tm shenanigans.

No matter who is in the comp I AoE with B2 on cooldown. He's only necessary if they have taunters though.

If Dooku is in the Comp K2 is a must.

Other than those potential needs, just load up on heavy hitters.

Zader is actually a relatively easy lead to take down in general.

Zavage

I personally have the best luck with this guy if I leave him for last. The trick to that is he has to be the last man standing while I have a full squad with most of their health and protection.

Nihilus + Dooku + Sith Trooper

Whenever Sith Trooper is in comp I always AoE with B2 on cooldown, along with any other auto taunter.

Dooku is taken care of by bringing along K2S0 to Daze him. IG-88's healing immunity is another less effective solution to Dooku.

IG-88 in general is great against Nihilus leads due to the massive damage and healing immunity. Both come in very handy against those massive regenerating health bars.

@Chewie_says_Aaarww I know it's been a while, but didn't you used to beat Zeta Maul teams with droids under a Boba lead? Would you be up for sharing whatever you might recall of your strategies that worked with that comp?
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Zeta QuiGon with GK

HK, B2, K2, 88, JE

JE does the tm thing, and B2 wipes the foresight. (B2 is super clutch against Jedi as dodging an allies attack triggers the tm gain just like them getting damaged). K2 then dazes whoever needs Dazing. Dazing priority is Aayla, Anakin, GK. HK and 88 both AoE then. HK will get a followup single target attack, but 88 won't.

I then proceed to AoE on cooldown and zerg GK down first. I use the opportunities of GK not taunting to reapply Daze, but GK is my main priority. By staying on GK I get to continue to crit as well as remove a whole host of problems that he represents: Crit immunty, Cleansing, retribution, massive assist. I can take a lot of Kenobis out before they get the assist off if I focus on him from the get go.

After that, my kill order is JKA, Aayla, Yoda, QGJ, whoever...
    Post edited by Woodroward on
  • Woodroward wrote: »

@Chewie_says_Aaarww I know it's been a while, but didn't you used to beat Zeta Maul teams with droids under a Boba lead? Would you be up for sharing whatever you might recall of your strategies that worked with that comp?

Jo, Boba lead was good, but it was more like a temporary fix, now with sith assassin in play it will be much harder to beat those squads. Back in the day, I used Boba(L), JE, 88, B2 and K2SO.
    SWGOH.gg profile - Our guild, 3720 to 1, has 1 spot open! [49/50].

Jo, Boba lead was good, but it was more like a temporary fix, now with sith assassin in play it will be much harder to beat those squads. Back in the day, I used Boba(L), JE, 88, B2 and K2SO.

Right on. Thanks for responding. I think @Ig88isboss also said something about beating Zeta Maul teams after R2 came out, but I don't think he frequents these forums anymore.

I'd really like to see some strats for all the droid problem comps and everyone's contribution helps. @Modulous @STRIKEBOMB Would you two be up for contributing?
  • STRIKEBOMB
    1232 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Woodroward wrote: »

Right on. Thanks for responding. I think @Ig88isboss also said something about beating Zeta Maul teams after R2 came out, but I don't think he frequents these forums anymore.

I'd really like to see some strats for all the droid problem comps and everyone's contribution helps. @Modulous @STRIKEBOMB Would you two be up for contributing?

I'm currently gearing up zbarriss and I'm going to see how she does alongside Kenobi as a replacement for JE against rex leads and maul.
  • Terand
    33 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Here's my thoughts on team comps for offense. I am a newer 85 (Dec '16) so my shard is not necessarily as competitive as others. I'm the only droid user in top 50, probably in the top 100 for all I know).
    'Core' cast: HK-47 (L), IG-88, B2
    'Rotating' cast: Jawa Engineer, IG-86, R2, K2S0, Boba Fett. Once GK is unlocked/geared he will be on the cast as well. My R2 is still getting geared so I don't use him as much as others that are G11.
    1. 'Thrawn Empire' - very hard to beat so far
      Rotate in: TBD. I have fared very poorly against this team so far. I plan on trying R2 and K2S0 in the future.
    2. 'Chirrut+Baze' squads (Any combination of rebels, DN, etc.) - very RNG dependent, B2 is the MVP
      Rotate in: K2S0, SOMETIMES Boba Fett in place of Jawa Engineer (I'm still deciding if I like Boba in here since he and B2 often have anti-synergy)
    3. 'Zeta Maul' - hard difficulty (RNG)
      Rotate in: R2D2, Jawa Engineer OR Boba Fett (?). I have been avoiding these while I work on R2's gear. I haven't tried a Boba lead here yet.
    4. 'Jedi' - medium difficulty (some RNG due to B2 needing to constantly clear buffs)
      Rotate in: Jawa Engineer, K2S0
    5. 'Darth Nihilus Sith' (assuming Count Dooku) - easy, too slow
      Rotate in: Jawa Engineer, K2S0
    6. 'Resistance' - easy but sometimes Expose RNG will take a match
      Rotate in: Jawa Engineer, IG-86
    7. 'Zeta Vader' - easy, too slow
    8. 'Classic Rebels' (No Chirrut+Baze) - easy, too slow
    9. 'First Order' - easy, too slow

Defense squad (last fight of the day): I usually end with whatever I have, but I'm starting to think that I should close up matches with HK-47 (L), IG-88, B2, R2D2, and Jawa Engineer. I suspect that it should discourage more squads from attacking compared with other characters.
  • STRIKEBOMB wrote: »

I'm currently gearing up zbarriss and I'm going to see how she does alongside Kenobi as a replacement for JE against Rex leads and maul.

My first tests worked out pretty well in my opinion. I faced a Rex lead, R2, Nihilus, Chaze with HK, R2, 88, GK, and Barriss. First battle 88 got annihilated because I killed Rex first because I thought it would be tremendously valuable to not have to deal with his tenacity buff again, but then I wasn't able to kill Nihilus fast enough. Second battle I got Nihilus first and then got Rex before his 2nd use of his ability (R2 was at very low protection at this point) so everything was looking good.....until Chirrut KO'd, of all people, IG-88. The one character I desperately needed to defeat Chaze, otherwise I wouldn't be able to either A: kill Baze in 1 round, or B: get healing immunity on Baze. After that I was running low on time before my payout so I attacked a different team (although in the end I could've did 1 more battle because I got sniped from 1st place). I think I definitely could have beaten that team if 88 wasn't always getting 1 shotted lol. It would also help if I could get my Kenobi to 7* (6* currently) so he could survive more punishment, but he didn't die until some major damage was dealt to him from high damage single target attacks. Unfortunately I wasn't able to test this team against any sith today except one at the very end, but I had very bad RNG and again, 88 got 1 shot by sith assassin lol
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Rex Lead is and always will be the hard counter. Droids crit, he feeds from crits....no real strategy to get around that.

New issue Han, again another good droid counter. Now that he can ignore taunt pretty hard to protect JE when he is needed.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Rex Lead is and always will be the hard counter. Droids crit, he feeds from crits....no real strategy to get around that.

New issue Han, again another good droid counter. Now that he can ignore taunt pretty hard to protect JE when he is needed.

I don't think I'll have to worry the raid Han Solo rework lol. Droids are easy enough to beat on defense already
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    STRIKEBOMB wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

I don't think I'll have to worry the raid Han Solo rework lol. Droids are easy enough to beat on defense already

Yes i understand. My point was that if you are going to make a thread about Droid Strategy it should be keyed against their hard counters and how to overcome those issues you know you will face.
  • Kudos to you guys for still trying to droid it out;
    I've moved on to zboba and zylo as my bread and butter and waiting for a rework
  • Kyno wrote: »

There is actually a good strategy against Rex leads: Don't AoE. The problem with that is taunters. Droids' only buff wipe for the longest time is B2. He AoE's to get rid of buffs and it gives so much tm to the enemy team the droids can't keep up. If they can stay single target damage until there's only 2 or 3 left, they still remain ahead in the tm gain department, which means they can and should win.

My theorycrafted strategy for beating the triple cleanse is using Chopper instead of B2, but I've not been able to test it yet due to lack of gear levels/etc. on him. It should work though, not only is his buff wipe single target, it actually removes tm from the whole enemy team instead of giving it to them.

I have beaten plenty of Rex leads simply by sticking to single target damage, ones with Chirrut and Baze are tough, but I still have a decent win percentage against those. I have yet to beat a triple cleanse though.
    Kyno wrote: »

There is actually a good strategy against Rex leads: Don't AoE. The problem with that is taunters. Droids' only buff wipe for the longest time is B2. He AoE's to get rid of buffs and it gives so much tm to the enemy team the droids can't keep up. If they can stay single target damage until there's only 2 or 3 left, they still remain ahead in the tm gain department, which means they can and should win.

My theorycrafted strategy for beating the triple cleanse is using Chopper instead of B2, but I've not been able to test it yet due to lack of gear levels/etc. on him. It should work though, not only is his buff wipe single target, it actually removes tm from the whole enemy team instead of giving it to them.

I have beaten plenty of Rex leads simply by sticking to single target damage, ones with Chirrut and Baze are tough, but I still have a decent win percentage against those. I have yet to beat a triple cleanse though.

If my chopper was gear 11 I could test it. I have him 7* but not gear 11 yet.
  • Terand
    33 posts Member
    Interesting idea with Chopper. Might invest more in him in the future.

I've also been wanting to try a 'lightside' droid team sometime with something like GK (L), Chopper, K2S0, R2, and JE. Would be really low damage though :pensive:

What do you guys do vs Thrawn (L) teams like Thrawn, DT, Krennic, DN, and Shoretrooper/GK?
  • STRIKEBOMB
    1232 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Terand wrote: »
    What do you guys do vs Thrawn (L) teams like Thrawn, DT, Krennic, DN, and Shoretrooper/GK?

For Thrawn, DT, Shore, GK and Nihilus I use HK, R2, 88, B2 and JE. It relies pretty heavily on RNG but you'll want to take out Kenobi asap. Either stun or ability block Kenobi as well (might get cleansed so be prepared), and if you get ability block on Thrawn that's excellent because he will most likely cleanse Kenobi. If you get buff immunity on Kenobi and Thrawn you could try to kill thrawn if you think you can do it before anyone cleanses by using Kenobi's assist attack. After Kenobi and Thrawn are gone just keep Nihilus stunned and go for Shoretrooper, then Death Trooper, then Nihilus. Its more uncommon that they'll have krennic, and if they do use him it will be in place of Kenobi or Shore most likely so in that case it will be easier.
  • So guys I just did my zeta on R2D2 (The one that matters for droid at least) and I have doubts about how should I mod it to take advantage of his zeta, like going with as much protection as I can to give more protection to my droids or health (which they naturally lack) or going all out offense to increase the offense of my droids (which I don't lack but it means more raw power) what do you guys say?
  • Arimanius wrote: »
    So guys I just did my zeta on R2D2 (The one that matters for droid at least) and I have doubts about how should I mod it to take advantage of his zeta, like going with as much protection as I can to give more protection to my droids or health (which they naturally lack) or going all out offense to increase the offense of my droids (which I don't lack but it means more raw power) what do you guys say?

Droids greatly lack in overall health so I say put it into protection. If you have protection primaries with offense secondaries that's even better. But R2 also needs a lot of speed so he can keep stunning people.
  • STRIKEBOMB wrote: »
    Arimanius wrote: »
    So guys I just did my zeta on R2D2 (The one that matters for droid at least) and I have doubts about how should I mod it to take advantage of his zeta, like going with as much protection as I can to give more protection to my droids or health (which they naturally lack) or going all out offense to increase the offense of my droids (which I don't lack but it means more raw power) what do you guys say?

Droids greatly lack in overall health so I say put it into protection. If you have protection primaries with offense secondaries that's even better. But R2 also needs a lot of speed so he can keep stunning people.

So protection primary with the best secondaries speed and offense I can find. gotcha.
    I decided to create a post where we could discuss droid comps and strategies for various comps and characters that are "Meta'

The idea is for people to post their solutions for the various characters and combos that are notoriously tough for droids to beat.

To make it a good strategy thread, i think a hood firms would be to start by naming the problem comp followed by either naming a droid counter or asking for one.

Chirrut and Baze

Counter I use is B2 and K2S0. Wait to tackle them until you have buff immunity on baze and daze on chirrut to take out chirrut. He's first unless you can't land buff immunity on Baze. Then Daze Baze and take him out first.

droids dead man,droids dead...
  • Distavion wrote: »

Chirrut and Baze

Not for me :) top 15 everyday in an old shard
  • Distavion wrote: »

I'm not in an old shard but I get top 20 almost everyday if I don't get late to do my battles before payout (work e.e). With a little push droids can become great asf again.
    Distavion wrote: »

I'm not in an old shard but I get top 20 almost everyday if I don't get late to do my battles before payout (work e.e). With a little push droids can become great asf again.

A little Grievous push.
    STRIKEBOMB wrote: »

So protection primary with the best secondaries speed and offense I can find. gotcha.
    Crit chance and potency are also really good secondaries to focus on for obvious reasons. I'd probably say speed first priority followed by offense, with crit chance a close 3rd, and finish up with potency. Obviously getting all the stats you want on a mod is rare, but with enough farming they come along.

I agree with focusing on protection as they will get more from R2 (14% of his max) vs. health (11-13%, 13% with K2S0 and Chopper in group).

Now stacking offense is weird. Sometimes a percentage offense can be better, sometimes flat increases are better. It depends on a few things. The more % offense primaries and secondaries you have, the better the flat increases become. How much of a difference it makes depends on the ability multiplier value (it can be seen on Swgoh.gg).

Now R2 has a 2.023 multiplier on his basic attack, which means that stacking offense very noticeably affects his basic damage. However he only has a .754 multipler on his AoE, so stacking offense on him won't make that damage go up all that noticeably.

Anybody with a really low damage multiplier on all their attacks (B2) won't benefit very much from stacking offense, and more gain would probably come from stacking even more of it on someone else.

Sorry for the digression, but I felt it was related.

Crit chance and potency are also really good secondaries to focus on for obvious reasons. I'd probably say speed first priority followed by offense, with crit chance a close 3rd, and finish up with potency. Obviously getting all the stats you want on a mod is rare, but with enough farming they come along.

I agree with focusing on protection as they will get more from R2 (14% of his max) vs. health (11-13%, 13% with K2S0 and Chopper in group).

Now stacking offense is weird. Sometimes a percentage offense can be better, sometimes flat increases are better. It depends on a few things. The more % offense primaries and secondaries you have, the better the flat increases become. How much of a difference it makes depends on the ability multiplier value (it can be seen on Swgoh.gg).

Now R2 has a 2.023 multiplier on his basic attack, which means that stacking offense very noticeably affects his basic damage. However he only has a .754 multipler on his AoE, so stacking offense on him won't make that damage go up all that noticeably.

Anybody with a really low damage multiplier on all their attacks won't benefit very much from stacking offense, and more gain would probably come from stacking even more of it on someone else.

Sorry for the digression, but I felt it was related.
  • ExarTheKun wrote: »
    Distavion wrote: »

A little Grievous push.

Hopefully it's not too far off. I hope Separatist September comes true :)

Or at least before The Last Jedi comes out
  • Interesting side note about R2, number crunch zetad seems to restore some protection to my droids every node in galactic war. I usually beat it with just my droids, start with hk, 88, 86, K2, and JE. Sub B2 in for JE node 2, Sub R2 in for B2 node 3, Then usually run with that comp until node 11 or 12 unless I need to sub in B2 for one. I may sub in JE for 10, or 11 to heal a few people.
  • I am thinking that Chopper may actually be preferable to B2 against Wiggs/Chaze combos too, but I am still on the fence about that. Wiping Baze's taunt with only one counterattack instead of two and a Wiggs triple to boot while reducing their opening tm on top of that is very tempting. It also severely limits the buff removals compared to with B2, and more or less lets Chirruts HoTs run amok. With Chopper in group, Baze would more than likely have to die before Chirrut.
  • @Woodroward ty man I really appreciate it and yeah I noticed the same thing with R2, I noticed first with his unique ability but then the zeta helps restore protection to the other droids. I also think chopper might be really useful, besides is the fastest droid and one of the fastest characters in the game, modded with speed mods it can be really fast besides reducing its own cooldowns and applying speed up to himself makes it a really good buff remover.
    Interesting side note about R2, number crunch zetad seems to restore some protection to my droids every node in galactic war. I usually beat it with just my droids, start with hk, 88, 86, K2, and JE. Sub B2 in for JE node 2, Sub R2 in for B2 node 3, Then usually run with that comp until node 11 or 12 unless I need to sub in B2 for one. I may sub in JE for 10, or 11 to heal a few people.

It's not R2 that restores the protection. After each galactic war node your team recovers a small % of their protection