Increasing gear levels; no effect on power?

So since the new power calculations, I've noticed that changing gear levels (at least as far as I've tracked) doesn't increase your power at all anymore. For example, I bumped EP from gear 10 to gear 11; no change whatsoever. Ditto FA, going from gear 7 to gear 8; no change. Anyone else noticing that?

Replies

• PiffGuru
    773 posts Member
    yea I noticed that aswell, but figured its cause the actual items being put on the char increased the power but not the going to next gear lvl, they should probably just make it so as soon as the 6th item is put on the item they would automatically go up a gear lvl. As of right now the click to go up a gear lvl button is useless.
  • Skuddy
    137 posts Member
    This happened to me. I restarted the client and it updated. Maybe u just need a client restart?
  • I didn't at the time, but I do see that the value didn't change after I logged out and logged back in later.

I may not have been clear; it's not that I'm thinking it's a bug or anything, but wondering if the new algorithm for calculating power no longer includes jumping a gear level as one of the factors. I honestly never quite got why it did anyway, because as near as I could tell from before/after screenshots I took nothing really changes much from simply going from gear x to gear x+1. The GEAR itself mattered, but the increase didn't. PiffGuru hit it on the head; if increasing a gear level doesn't do anything, then it should be automatic when you slap on the last piece of gear.
  • You gain protection when you jump up a gear level. So it absolutely matters. I'm not sure why it's not factored into power calculations, but it's not anything significant enough for me to care about.
  • Power display doesn't update right away all the time. It's a caching bug they will probably eventually fix. Usually just leaving the character screen and returning updates it for me.
  • Skuddy
    137 posts Member
    I didn't at the time, but I do see that the value didn't change after I logged out and logged back in later.

I may not have been clear; it's not that I'm thinking it's a bug or anything, but wondering if the new algorithm for calculating power no longer includes jumping a gear level as one of the factors. I honestly never quite got why it did anyway, because as near as I could tell from before/after screenshots I took nothing really changes much from simply going from gear x to gear x+1. The GEAR itself mattered, but the increase didn't. PiffGuru hit it on the head; if increasing a gear level doesn't do anything, then it should be automatic when you slap on the last piece of gear.

Interesting. I thought you did indeed gain stats from one gear tier to the next. Maybe it doesn't effect anything
  • TofuMao
    630 posts Member
    Well, the button still locks gear so it can then be calculated on mods, so it's useful for at least one thing, and anyways 120 toons with XI gear lvls it's only 1200 clicks, I did more than that spending my 400k ally points in a day, think it's 12 per 1k and I at least spammed it another 3 times, so that was like 2400 hits just in a couple of days, not over a year of play and much much much gear needed.