Lets talk about F2P strategies

Stodie
45 posts Member
edited February 2016
Looking for some good ideas:

Droids - I have been hearing that droids are no longer competitve against any speed leaders. For example, Qui-Gon plus assist will kill one of your droids in the first turn and you no longer have the dps to catch up. Would like to know if anyone else is finding ways to stay competitive with droids (does Lobot help or do you lose too much after?) .

Rebel team - Only problem is that you have to use Ackbar as lead which takes a valuable dps spot away. Even with the speed advantage Luke only gets to 137 and Biggs to 131 which means HRS is the only one that will act before a Poe taunt; which means you aren't killing anyone in the first round and overall dps is rather low. Having Leia could make a big difference but then it's no longer a F2P team.

Jedi - Qui-Gon lead team seems to be the best bet. He acts first and with an assist you can kill someone right away. Who to fill the rest of the team with? QGJ, Anakin (tough farm), Luminara, Ahsoka and Poe?

First Order - Too slow. Qui-Gon team will kill your FOTP in the first go and there just isn't enough dps to catch back up.

Nightsister - Has decent speed and utility but overall firepower seems to be weak. You will have to depend on Daka RNG to beat top teams I think

Please let me know if anyone else has some ideas here; or if they can correct any of my above assumptions

Replies

• Options
    I'm feeling this pinch as well. Before this update us F2Pers had a couple cool choices to compete with most of the top teams. Droids or a Phasma lead team could both compete up there.

Now I'm feeling a bit helpless. I have all your cookie-cutter F2P valuable toons ATM: Phasma, Kylo, Lumi, Sid, Poggle, Hk-47, CT-5555 all 7-stars. Poe at 5*, Dooku at 5, soon to be 6, JC at 6* and currently farming the IG droids.

I can't find a combination that will keep me up in the top 20 with the QGJ's anymore. I'm farming his shards in cantina shipments but it'll be a while. I also can't come anywhere close to finishing, or even starting, the Yoda challenge.

I finish GW fairly easily every day, so I'm confident that over time I'll be able to develop stronger teams, but this update seemed to put me further down the hill.

I think just taking a deep breath and realizing that I won't be able to compete with the huge DPS/speed teams anymore for the time being is probably what I need. After all, I guess F2P shouldn't be top 5 all the time.
  • Options
    Phasma Dooku and Daka. Stuns for days Eat QGJ for lunch. Other two are up to you.
  • Options
    I feel my team, which I finished first with two days ago (Sid, Poggle, 88,86,Poe) will slowly be sent down the ladder. And. I'm also unsure of what direction to go in. Going back to GS once I get Mace to 5* for event...but don't have enough 6* toons to mix things up. QG all the way with cantina shipments though.
  • Options
    And it seems my droids are doing less damage post patch....
  • Options
    Dooku's reign is over if Yoda is on the oppents team. Yoda dodges him counter attacks.
  • Options
    My FTP idea: Dooku, poggle, GS, i86, and maybe i88. Replace 88 with Sid if I need a bit more speed.

Dooku should play before QGJ, and stun him 90% of the time. I'll leave you to figure out the rest, but hint: GS will play before Poe, and QGJ is already stunned, so that should provide a pretty good head start.
  • Options
    It's very hard to read the new meta. I went against a standard Poe team on my shard in the top 20 and lost handily; Phasma (L) Poe, Sid, IG 86, and Poggle. Also see similar with GS and Lumi. It all came to RNG with not killing Poe before taunt and Phasma lending several assists and using victory march.

I expected to be pushed into the 40ish range with my team, which probably lost a lot to Poe teams pre-update but I am still on the low 20's. Sid (L), Lumi, JC, GS and Daka. I think Sid's 30% resist against Jedi attacks couple with GS's insane damage and daka's stun/revive is presenting a challenge as well. I fell the meta is moving towards creating a team the AI and RNG can use effectively on defense. There is an HK lead all droid/Poe team which seems to be holding steady in the top 6.

I stopped work on my IG 86 who is level 60, one slot away from gear VII and 37/65 towards 5*'s. He would have replaced JC and I was farming Kylo too, but I am back to farming JC from Catina. Why, no one else but IG 86 and Phasma ate close enough to replace him. Dooku but he is to low in stars and lacks power.

If it weren't for Jedi challenge and thinking I can get QGJ and Koth to 5 stars before the event is over I'd be choosing Daka from the shipments.

The meta is speed but it's also how RNG seems to be in the AI's favor. I used the word seems as developers dispel that statement as not true but, just seems that way.
  • Options
    I'm betting on Droids, just trying to figure out the best combo. I'm thinking a Poggle-led team with GS (to compensate for Speed), IG-86, HK-47, and... 88 or Dooku?

I only leveled Poe to 4*. Wasn't impressed. Apparently, he needs to be 6* or 7* to "do his thing", but he got the obligatory nerf, so...

Jedi Teams? Nope.

Everyone and their mother is going hard on Jedi right now to get a Yoda that will never happen. So I'm going the other way: Droids and anti-Jedi.

Rebel Team is just not an option for F2P.

First Order? Too slow, I agree. Phasma is still great, and I'm probably keeping her as Leader until I beef up my Droids. Kylo is pretty good at 7* as well. But that's it. FOTP is nerfed, FOST is a tank without a taunt, and FOO has nice Turn Meter stuff, but I find the best Turn Meter advantages come in the form of OHKO artists and toons with double-tap: IG-86, GS, QGJ, etc.

I purposefully fought a Nightsisters team in the Arena earlier to see if it was any good. It was an easy win, so 'nah'.

My bet's on some Droid/Geonosian team ;)
  • HK_47
    10 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My droid team is

HK / 7* / gear 8 /
    IG-88 / 6*/ gear 8 /
    IG-86 / 6* / gear 7
    IG-100 / 4*/ gear 9
    Poggle / 4* / gear 7

I kick so much ****. The trick is the crits and turn meter gains from HK. And my secret weapon is IG-100, the most slept on droid in the game. He's anti Jedi and had good defense.

I take away turn meter from Jedi while constantly gaining my own. Invest in IG-100. I'm the only pure droid team I've seen in the arena, no Jedi, no healers.
    Post edited by HK_47 on
  • El_Duderino
    413 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I
    HK_47 wrote: »
    My droid team is

HK / 7* / gear 8 /
    IG-88 / 6*/ gear 8 /
    IG-86 / 6* / gear 7
    IG-100 / 4*/ gear 9
    Poggle / 4* / gear 7

I kick so much ****. The trick is the crits and turn meter gains from HK. And my secret weapon is IG-100, the most slept on droid in the game. His anti Jedi and had good defense.

I take away turn meter from Jedi while constantly gaining my own. Invest in IG-100. I'm the only pure droid team I've seen in the arena, no Jedi, no healers.

Sounds interesting. I'm curious what level you're at, and where you land in Arena usually?

Edit: And have you ever faced a Datcha-led team? :)
  • Options
    I think that night sister such as
    Assajj
    Daka
    Initiate/sid
    GS
    Poggle

May be okay. Doubt it, but who knows. Assajj with~100 speed and debuff kay help vs yoda (?)

Anyway, i dont know but I am stuck on who to get from arena shipments
    I have phasma sid lumi daka and kylo ren at 7* with poggle and GS almost there. Also have 7k arena tokens bcs i was confused and thought they would be adding another option like qgj in cantina
  • Options
    HK_47 wrote: »
    My droid team is

HK / 7* / gear 8 /
    IG-88 / 6*/ gear 8 /
    IG-86 / 6* / gear 7
    IG-100 / 4*/ gear 9
    Poggle / 4* / gear 7

I kick so much ****. The trick is the crits and turn meter gains from HK. And my secret weapon is IG-100, the most slept on droid in the game. His anti Jedi and had good defense.

Sounds interesting., I like
  • Options
    Are you looking strictly for a theme team? I'd go with an assist build team if I could do it over again. My ideal F2P squad would look like QGJ (lead), GS, Yoda, Dakka, Rey. I'm slowly getting there, but don't have Daka and 4* Rey/ QGJ
  • Options
    I'm prob gunna do: QJG (lead), lumi, anakin (working on him now), Rey (almost unlocked) and dooku. Fast team with hard hitters. Anakin with QGJ buff will be very fast and with high priority targets his passive will actually be useful.
  • Options
    Im in a similar pickle. I currently run the Poggle led droid team with Poe and Geno soldier, which is still doing great but in time people will have adapted to the new meta and built counters

It does seem that Jedi and Rebel speedleader teams will be boss, but f2p cant run them nearly as well.

Im thinking about a general speed dps team, lacking obvious synergy.
    Something like
    Sid(L),Dooku,GS,Yoda,QGJ
    Will be hard to get 7* yoda for f2p, but i think this would be quite strong. Other options include Poe, Hoth scout, Poggle, Daka
    And if hard-node chars are achievable in the long run, Rey.

The thinking is pretty simple, you pile in your attacks before the other team gets to go. Sid and Dooku provide some counter against the inevitable Chromium Jedi teams. The team is squishy for sure, but in this game, the best defence is usually a good offense.

Since ill be getting Jedi to unlock Yoda, ill probably give

QGJ, Yoda, Lumi, Eeth, JC/other
    a try, but damage wise it looks a bit meh
  • Options
    My dream team:
    QGJ (L - to give himself speed on 1st turn)
    Rey
    GS
    IG86
    Dooku

3 guys with assists. One big single hitter (Rey, to be called into those assists). Dooku is there in case any Jedi show up on the other side, and give useful random stuns/counters. Unfortunately, i am still a week away from unlocking Rey at 4*, and my Dooku and QGJ are both only 4* right now.
  • Options
    I'm sticking to building my Droids up, although I may consider a Jedi team in the future. Ideally:

Yoda
    QGJ
    Lumi
    Obi-Wan
    ROTJ Luke (cuz you know that's coming)
  • HK_47
    10 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    They're all lvl 65-63 and I usually place rank 60-80, but I never spend crystals for extra rounds in the arena. I've never faced jawas At that rank in the arena, although I have have faced Eeth Koth who gave me trouble BUT with poggles buffs, and my teams anti Jedi debuffs, he never really stands a chance.

And for folks saying the IG droids are squishy—they are but you just have to promote and gear them up and they get some back bone. My IG-86 and IG-100 can suprisingly take a beating. Still working with IG-88 but it's a labor of love
  • Options
    And it seems my droids are doing less damage post patch....

i strongly feel this way too, particularly during galaxy wars
  • Burrito_Man
    63 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Being squishy isn't the issue (although it doesn't help), droids are all much to slow. Once people get a chance to optimize their team to the new changes, one or likely both igs will be taken out before they get a chance to go and before you can protect them with a taunt or otherwise (at least on defense). Waves hand.... These aren't the droids you are looking for.
  • Options
    I wonder if a dooku led team with poggle and droids would work. Very dependent on getting a dodge for one of the dps toons.
  • Options
    w
  • Options
    It's probably not hard to beat on defense, but I still see a lot of Poe AoE teams that still get wins cs QGJ teams and the like as long as your IG 88 lives to use his AoE.

I usually see Sid(L), Poe, Poggle, Kylo Ren, IG88.
  • Nutteralex
    449 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm going to build:

QJG (lead)
    Lumi
    Sid/GS (tempted to buy anakin and put him here)
    Rey (almost unlocked)
    Dooku.

Still got a lot of farming to do but it's a speedy **** team with tons of deeps.

Realized this is basically a double post.