The Last Jedi (discussion)

SWGAMER6
539 posts Member
What are you expecting to see in The Last Jedi? What are you looking forward to? What are you hoping for?

It looks to me like maybe the resistance base is found and attacked by the first order and the place where Luke and Rey are maybe also found by the first order?? If so I wonder how the first order found them. Maybe Kylo put a tracker on Rey during their fight in TFA?

I'm most interested right now to see what they do with Luke's character and how TLJ is going to broaden our understanding of the force and it's need for balance. Also looking forward to seeing Snoke though I'm not expecting that we will get a lot of him or his background, and I'm not expecting an exahstive explanation of Rey's background in this movie either.

What about you?

Replies

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member

Luke will be twisted up, angry, and withdrawn with guilt over his failure to prevent kylo's fall to the dark and the fall of his academy. Much of rey's training will consist less of her training (since she has so much natural talent) and more of her restoring luke's confidence in himself.

During this training, the first order will be persistent in their offense against the resistance and the remnants of the new republic. Poe and Finn will have lots of screentime together as they push back. Their resistance (yes, i know) will be largely in vain as they are consistently beaten in numerous skirmishes against the fo. These skirmishes will feature phasma and demonstrate her strength as a military leader.

Leia will not play a direct role in most of the action. She'll be present to increase the stakes, but her priority is leading the fragmented remains of the New Republic.

Kylo Ren will not play a huge role in the direct offensive against the resistance. With phasma commanding the military, he will mostly be concerned with his dark side training with snoke and finding rey and luke.

In an effort to not be too similar to Empire, Rey will likely not be faced with the exact same decision Luke had where he had to decide whether to continue his training or save his friends. Its most likely that kylo ren will find them on their planet. He will bring the rest of the first order fleet, but the resistance fleet will make it there first causing a big climactic space battle. Kylo will slip past the blockade in his personal ship to confront rey and luke.

Regardless of what happens on that planet, both rey and luke will leave at some point to reunite with the rest of the resistance.

Obviously many people will be **** with the inevitable similarities to Empire, but i think the characters will be further developed, the tone will be darker (no, that doesn't automatically make the movie better), and hopefully there will be some surprises. Some questions raised in TFA will be answered, but more will be asked.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I think @DatBoi 's prediction seems spot on.

With the way of the jedi "dying" and more so grey (light and dark balance going on) I cannot help still but think that Poe and Finn are also force sensitive - there is a fair amount of evidence to that effect, but whether that is true or not is yet to be seen. But it would be interesting to see aspiring Jedi not want to follow Lukes path of balance and want to keep the jedi alive, especially as we were introduced to the church of the force/jedi followers.

I would personally very much like an explanation about Rey's parentage and Snoke's history - and to be honest I do have some anxiety about that. If they get this wrong, in my opinion the film will fail in my eyes.

I would also like an explanation for how Anakin/Luke's old saber ended up with Rey. Since the trailer for TFA I was like what? Then iin the actual movie, Maz just said its a story for another time and brushed it off - which angered me. I hope that the "other time" for that story is now.

Like TFA following the main plot of ANH, I do not believe much is going to be different for TLJ being a mirror of ESB.

For the reasons stated previously above as well as:

* Rey training with Luke, just as Luke trained with Yoda - both on a lonesome backwater planet.
    * FO will hunt down and find key members of the Resistance, just as the Empire did tot he Rebels.
    * In fact - in the trailer of TLJ when those black speeder things with red dust or whatever coming out of them is, they are racing across the ground and in the distance you see large machines similar to the ATAT - very much like the snowspeeders and ATATs in TESB.

Personally I do not hope for an ESB remake just as TFA was to ANH, because like R1 I want to see something different. But unlike R1 this is a new, exciting and unexplored era for the star wars universe. I want to see fantastic new ship designs and interesting new planets.

I want an exciting story that keeps the audience guessing and nothing predictable like TFA was.

However, as this is star wars I want to see exciting and explosive ship battles as well as impressive lightsaber dueling and use of force powers - this is Luke's chance to really shine and show the audience what kind of a powerful being he has become after all these years.
  • I want to see Luke given the OP justice he deserves.

I want to see a story that is NOT a carbon copy of ESB (with the only exception being Rey's parentage, but the trailers already look ESB like)

I want Rey to be Luke's daughter and I want her mom to be Mara-Jade Skywalker. I want Mara to have been killed by Darth Caedus...err Kylo Ren, when she was defending the Academy while Luke took Rey to Jakku.

I want Phasma redeemed as Gwendoline Christine is a great actress and they punked her out and made her extremely lame in TFA.

I want Rey to build a yellow colored double bladed lightsaber

I want TLJ to leave me with the same epic feeling I had when I saw R1
  • It wont be a copy of ESB. I agree TFA borrowed too much from ANH, but look at it through the eyes of disney.
    They bought starwars for 12 billion dollars and needed the first move to be a hit. It couldnt fail. If it did the franchise would be gone aftwr the hatred that the PT garnered. So they played it safe. Fans who loved the OT generally love it. Fans of the PT generally dont, but that isnt their audience.
    Now the ball is rolling and they can afford to take a chance. I can practically guarantee this film will stand apart from the previous films , for better or worse, based on interviews from the cast, TLJ will tell an entirely new story.
    Intergalactic space slugs are recruiting. Pm me if interested in entering the slug life. ~°° ♡
  • It wont be a copy of ESB. I agree TFA borrowed too much from ANH, but look at it through the eyes of disney.
    They bought starwars for 12 billion dollars and needed the first move to be a hit. It couldnt fail. If it did the franchise would be gone aftwr the hatred that the PT garnered. So they played it safe. Fans who loved the OT generally love it. Fans of the PT generally dont, but that isnt their audience.
    Now the ball is rolling and they can afford to take a chance. I can practically guarantee this film will stand apart from the previous films , for better or worse, based on interviews from the cast, TLJ will tell an entirely new story.

It was 4 billion.
  • SWGAMER6
    539 posts Member
    Do you think they will kill of Luke in TLJ? I think that Leia will meet her end maybe at Kylos hand?
  • Wow. I appreciate the correction. Its possible that luke could live throught this film and not be a jedi. Ehhhh? Ehhhhhhhhh? Just a thought.
    Intergalactic space slugs are recruiting. Pm me if interested in entering the slug life. ~°° ♡
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    SWGAMER6 wrote: »
    Do you think they will kill of Luke in TLJ? I think that Leia will meet her end maybe at Kylos hand?

No. They wouldn't establish such an obvious pattern (killing an OT character every movie) and having kylo killing his mother would be too dark and similar to hans death. They are going to have to do something with leia since carrie fisher passed, but i doubt they would outright kill her.
  • Im pretty sure she will die. If not this flim, they will recycle a few seconds of cut footage and paste it into episode 9.
  • Im pretty sure she will die. If not this flim, they will recycle a few seconds of cut footage and paste it into episode 9.
    Well, we know that she was signed on for the last movie, and they said they wouldn't use a month cap version of her. So if she does die in this, it must be off screen. I think more likely they will have her be on a ship or planet that is destroyed at the beginning of episode 9.
  • Yeah, thats what i mean. Show a very brief clip of her so that she is included in the film, and then she dies off screen somehow.
  • im interested in seeing phasma play a more important role
  • I'm Interested I'm seeing who Snoke really is, whether he hi a pre-existing character or a completely new one
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I'm Interested I'm seeing who Snoke really is, whether he hi a pre-existing character or a completely new one

Absolutely - this is huge and they better do it right.
  • Boo wrote: »
    I'm Interested I'm seeing who Snoke really is, whether he hi a pre-existing character or a completely new one

Rian Johnson has said Snoke will not be revealed in this movie, and there isn't much new info about him in the movie. He could be lying of course, but that doesn't seem like their style.

Rian Johnson has said Snoke will not be revealed in this movie, and there isn't much new info about him in the movie. He could be lying of course, but that doesn't seem like their style.

What we do know is he was around during the clone wars era.

So that eliminates anyone born after that era

Pretty much.

Pretty much.

The guys in the First Order chat talk about theories a lot, and apparently there is a mention on one of the books that Palpatine had discovered an ancient source of dark side power in the outer regions, and he was preparing to go investigate before the battle of Endor.

Some people think raise was Snoke. I know JJ described him as ancient and not someone we had met before, but he also flat out lied about the plot of Lost so....

Pretty much.

The guys in the First Order chat talk about theories a lot, and apparently there is a mention on one of the books that Palpatine had discovered an ancient source of dark side power in the outer regions, and he was preparing to go investigate before the battle of Endor.

Some people think raise was Snoke. I know JJ described him as ancient and not someone we had met before, but he also flat out lied about the plot of Lost so....

He also lied about Kahn not being in "Into the Darkness"
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I still say Snoke is Plagueis

S - sith
    N - no
    O - one
    K - knew
    E - existed

Plagueis is meant to be dead, but I think he felt that he did not create life (Anakin) and that it was the will of the force working through him. He realized that in order to be more powerful, he must understand the force in all its aspects - including the light.

He therefore allowed Sidious to believe he was successful in murdering him - by passing the mantle of Sith Master - Dark Lord to Sidious. Therefore, Plagueis ceased to be a sith lord. As Plagueis is his anointed Sith Name (just as Vader is Anakin's and Sidious is Palpatine's) he had to cut all ties to sith - including the name Plagueis and is now Snoke.

Snoke then went into hiding in the unknown regions - perhaps looking to expand his knowledge in the force and his own power. This is what Sidious felt in the unknown regions. Sidious actually had a base on Jakku purposed to chart new hyperspace routes to the unknown regions - funny how Jakku made its appearance in the Force Awakens.

Snoke was drawn to Ben Solo because of his connection to the powerful Skywalker lineage but also that Kylo struggles with the light within - Kylo sees this as a weakness, but Snoke sees this as power - especially if he can control the light for his dark purposes - hence killing Han Solo.

The fact that Vader/Anakin destroyed the sith is still true, as Plagueis is no longer sith, just as Kylo is a Knight of Ren and not a sith either.

This theory not only expands on the backstory of the chosen one, but also is in keeping the the dark/light balance in the force plot that is starting to unravel in the trailer as well as being touched upon in Star Wars Rebels - a theme clearly Disney are moving forward with.

This theory is clearly the best explanation of Snoke's backstory that also does not undermine the villain that Sidious was throughout the PT and the OT. If Snoke is in existence, just because, then that does undermine the villain that Sidious was.