Is Anybody Going to Buy This?

13Next

Replies

• Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Nebulous wrote: »
    I feel the high cost is to make us feel like the other gear prices are a bargain. This will lessen buyers remorse or even justify the purchase of salvage since we are "saving" a ton. It's marketing; it's not them being bad at setting values.

I think the main purpose is profit optimization elasticity pricing - they are getting a ton more $ from the most impatient whaliest of the whales that NEED a full piece NOW. Everyone else with the more options is better off really so I like the change overall (same price per gear with options), but you may need to have 2-3 drops of it (20+20, etc) to get the full piece you want. That can take time though and players that think they need it now will fork over the 2-3x price increase on the full price. Airlines have been using a model like this for years.

For gear buyers, just means we probably want to plan ahead more and get the 20 salvages ahead of time so there's no urge to fall in to the full gear trap.

I would think the prices would be closer together if this were the case. Similar to pricing at movie theaters for popcorn. The small popcorn costs a price then there is a jump in price to medium and a tiny jump in price to large. The large and medium are so close together in cost, people spend the extra 50 cents to get the large even if they wanted the small/medium because those two are not the "best" value. They have been "tricked" into paying an extra buck or two for something they may not have even wanted.

Here we don't have that at all. The jump in prices don't make sense--loss of value justification. By overpricing the large popcorn, you will sell more small popcorn. This is what I see happening.

This doesn't mean that full gear won't sell, I believe that there will be significantly more purchases of 20 salvage since, prima facie, it is the best bang-for-the-buck.
  • Jamesm
    863 posts Member
    Options
    I feel the high cost is to make us feel like the other gear prices are a bargain. This will lessen buyers remorse or even justify the purchase of salvage since we are "saving" a ton. It's marketing; it's not them being bad at setting values.

I think the main purpose is profit optimization elasticity pricing - they are getting a ton more $ from the most impatient whaliest of the whales that NEED a full piece NOW. Everyone else with the more options is better off really so I like the change overall (same price per gear with options), but you may need to have 2-3 drops of it (20+20, etc) to get the full piece you want. That can take time though and players that think they need it now will fork over the 2-3x price increase on the full price. Airlines have been using a model like this for years.

For gear buyers, just means we probably want to plan ahead more and get the 20 salvages ahead of time so there's no urge to fall in to the full gear trap.

I would think the prices would be closer together if this were the case. Similar to pricing at movie theaters for popcorn. The small popcorn costs a price then there is a jump in price to medium and a tiny jump in price to large. The large and medium are so close together in cost, people spend the extra 50 cents to get the large even if they wanted the small/medium because those two are not the "best" value. They have been "tricked" into paying an extra buck or two for something they may not have even wanted.

Here we don't have that at all. The jump in prices don't make sense--loss of value justification. By overpricing the large popcorn, you will sell more small popcorn. This is what I see happening.

This doesn't mean that full gear won't sell, I believe that there will be significantly more purchases of 20 salvage since, prima facie, it is the best bang-for-the-buck.

Its the same value as the 50 salvage and theres still plenty of full gear for good value.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Jamesm wrote: »

Its the same value as the 50 salvage and theres still plenty of full gear for good value.

I am fully aware that the 20 salvage are the same price as full 50 pcs. I think we are comparing the ludicrous full pieces not the ones from pre-slot expansion.

My argument is simple: the outrageous cost of gears displayed by the op, will have a chance to pursuade players into buying 20 salvage that they may NOT have wanted to purhase simply because it looks like great value in comparison.

I know whales will buy whatever. I know that gear-buyers will buy what they did before. However, by offering a diminutive comparable price, there will be a new segment of gear buyers that may not have ever purchased gear prior to the change.
  • Options
    My post got relegated to gear feedback, but yes, there are a lot of misleading and poor gear prices. The fact that an mk4 gun (the one we all have 1000 prototypes of) costs the same as a mk5 gun is preposterous and confusing. To me that is the issue. They have similar tier gear all at the same price regardless of supply and demand, which creates inflated full pieces as pictured above, and - as mentioned in my other post - makes for misleading and difficult to navigate gear browsing/purchasing.

u are wrong there. the mk5 prototype costs 1250 (not the fully crafted) while the whole thing costs 2750. though, possibly no one buys the fully crafted version since mk3s are free and take about a week to craft.
  • Options
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    Eclipso wrote: »
    yea, raising prices isn't going to make me open my wallet up any further lol, it will do just the opposite. I don't understand the logic, maybe they have the data to back it up.

They didnt raise prices.... The gave you more options.

I could offer you the contents of the lint trap on my dryer for $1,000. Technically I'd be offering you more options. Although in a practical sense I'm not really. Anyone who received that offer should be insulted, and anyone who took that offer should be ashamed.

I never said they were a good deal but the option to buy just the component you need is still there. Plus we can now buy salvage in smaller quantities which is actually really helpful. The outrage from this is mind boggling.

The option to buy smaller quantities of the useful stuff at identical price per unit is fantastic. And the extra slots for gear to fall is nice too.

But the "option" to buy completely worthless garbage at a price several times higher than useful items, or completely worthless items that look identical to high value items except for a single Roman numeral is predatory. I'm not outraged by it. I'm just disappointed in the devs. And I want to make sure people know so they don't accidentally waste resources on a trap.

And I can't figure why anyone would try so hard to defend something that has no upside, but is tricking unsuspecting people out of resources.

I doubt this is any of the devs we see pop up here - this is a corporate profit maximization initiative. Some financial / statistical modeler likely hatched this pricing structure. This is the suits - not the devs is my guess.

I agree. The developers make the game. EA sets the pricing. Its obvious from the deep gouge marks.
    Intergalactic space slugs are recruiting. Pm me if interested in entering the slug life. ~°° ♡