High speed on secondary stats breaks the arena.

The arena would be vastly improved if secondary stats for speed were capped at no more than 10. Currently anybody who has poorly developed meta game characters with high speeds dominate. I just lost to a guy who had three five star toons with all their speed and I assume gear jacked up. I don't mind the gear so much, but the arena is all about getting the highest speed mods on your characters and that limits everyone's customization options and makes the arena boring (and frustrating).

Replies

• At the same time, if mods were capped as you proposed, the games would boil down to an RNG fest of whose characters won a coin toss to move first.
  • I think you mean, "It would be easier for me to compete in arena if I didn't need to invest resources in mods and if we could nerf those who did it would be appreciated".
  • The problem with the mods is that speed is by far the most important boost. The other options just aren't that appealing, or not enough so that they outweigh a speed increase. Take the arrow mods. A speed 30 increase is so much better than anything else you can get that it's not even a comparison. But; if they had an arrow mod that gave +30 crit chance, or +30% offense, or +30% accuracy, I would be tempted to use them instead of speed on the right toon. But as it is? No. No other arrow mod is that good. As for the other mods and secondaries, some of the really good stats don't have secondaries at all. There is no accuracy secondary, for example. There's no dodge mod, or deflection mod.
  • Darksouls2020
    368 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    I think you mean, "It would be easier for me to compete in arena if I didn't need to invest resources in mods and if we could nerf those who did it would be appreciated".

This. No way around it just invest in mods that it. And use rex as leader. "He who shoot first and most often win".
  • I used to think like that before.. i think it's not fair. But after all my swgoh journey.. i think it's fair for people who do the hard work (or spend money buy mods) to get better result.

I rarely farm chars in cantina.. around 3 month lately i spend with farming mod. I don't get beast mode, but eventually the time came when i get nice mod. I've enjoyed my speed secondary in arena now.

Well.. that.. u beat high speed mod with more higher speed mod. :frowning:
  • Nesh
    49 posts Member
    You say invest in mods but then ita just RNG on if a good one drops. You coukd spend years doing 3 refreshes a day and never get double figures, theoretically. Or pull a 20+ speed secondary on your first try.

Considering how game changing super speed mods can be it should really be something the devs review. Either cutting speed back orupping other stats to make them more viable
  • The fix is quite simple. Buff the other stats so speed isn't essential. You can still have better mods, but it doesn't have to be speed.
  • Super speed mods are not that essential anymore, Rex lead took care of that. My team never moves first (although I have good mods) and i still manage to win every battle.

God bless Rex lead (and thrawn because of the same reason)
  • Nesh wrote: »
    You say invest in mods but then ita just RNG on if a good one drops. You coukd spend years doing 3 refreshes a day and never get double figures, theoretically. Or pull a 20+ speed secondary on your first try.

Considering how game changing super speed mods can be it should really be something the devs review. Either cutting speed back orupping other stats to make them more viable

The answer of all RNG is.. u do it more, the result will come after all. At least, it's better now.. 100% drop rate. Can u imagine how frustate people farm mod back in 2016? no 100% drop.

I think that's already dev answer to high speed mod, give chance to players for get speedy mod by make them 100% drop. imo :frowning:
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Can't really nerf speed mods just for arena's sake, they are used in raids too. I would rather see counters to speed or buffs to other secondary stats to make them more comparable
    this character from another game would be a really cool counter http://dclegends.wiki/wiki/Reverse_Flash:_Professor_Zoom
  • Speedokillz
    575 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    It would be nice if it wasn't so rng based... mods and secondaries that is. It seems more appropriate that one should be able to "build" their dream mod by "refining" a base mod by earning various elements.

Really the system right now isn't that bad, because highend mods are an end-game product for those with nothing left to spent their energy and credits on. For those in middle game and having to give up mod-farming for Luke and Ewoks in Cantina are the ones that the pressure is on to decide.

My example: I am not using Cantina energy on Ewoks because I have been trying to get a stoopid 5dot Speed Triangles mod for 2 weeks. I guess this is my only mod complaint. A system to build a mod up to be what you want it to be... even if it took much longer would feel like I'm achieving something rather that simming 3 refreshes in 10 seconds... just to not get a 5dot Triangle...
    https://swgoh.gg/u/speedokillz/

December 2016 Arena Shard
  • Distavion
    112 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    The arena would be vastly improved if secondary stats for speed were capped at no more than 10. Currently anybody who has poorly developed meta game characters with high speeds dominate. I just lost to a guy who had three five star toons with all their speed and I assume gear jacked up. I don't mind the gear so much, but the arena is all about getting the highest speed mods on your characters and that limits everyone's customization options and makes the arena boring (and frustrating).

give your swgoh.gg link..pls
    I think everything I see there will be +10?
  • I've invested quite a bit, I think that when you look at all the top player in the arena, they all use speed. The boost speed and everything is secondary to that. It simplifies what should be a robust and complex system. All characters have base speed so it wouldn't be RNG. And I'm not saying take it out completely. But for the sake a gameplay variety, it would be nice to see the speed mods nerfed. I think the devs have stated that they want variety in game play strategies, and when everyone in the arena uses speed only, that aspect of the game is gone. It's not like people couldn't invest in other super powerful mods. IMO of course.
  • The problem with the mods is that speed is by far the most important boost. The other options just aren't that appealing, or not enough so that they outweigh a speed increase. Take the arrow mods. A speed 30 increase is so much better than anything else you can get that it's not even a comparison. But; if they had an arrow mod that gave +30 crit chance, or +30% offense, or +30% accuracy, I would be tempted to use them instead of speed on the right toon. But as it is? No. No other arrow mod is that good. As for the other mods and secondaries, some of the really good stats don't have secondaries at all. There is no accuracy secondary, for example. There's no dodge mod, or deflection mod.

+1 This. just make other stats more effective. this game is kind of work in progress as things come and go. this is way better than when all the rng coinflip days. but i do agree w the op in that speed is basically the only thing that matters. would be more fun (for me) if you could have a really slow toon that could 1 or 2 shot somebody in the high level arena. it would make for more strategy. in team building. imo
  • Obviously, I'm not capping my characters at plus ten speed now. I'm trying to compete. Even if I had all the good speed mods, I would prefer a game that didn't automatically require my arena teams to use speed mods to be effective.
  • I almost never post on these forums. It's cool that people respond.
  • I'm curious to see how counterattacking power teams might devalue speed. {CLS, Chaze, Sith Trooper, Gar Saxon] for instance seems like it may be a beast even without speed. Lots of Daze would be the obvious response of course, but not every speed team is built for that.
  • SGMiller87 wrote: »
    At the same time, if mods were capped as you proposed, the games would boil down to an RNG fest of whose characters won a coin toss to move first.

Easy balance would be to keep the primary stat but cause it to harm another stat for example if you have a speed primary it could hurt any of the other stats chosen at random