No you won't need specific toons to unlock Commander Luke

Prev1
JinSaotome
682 posts Member
edited August 2017
I see people are freaking out speculating that you'll need ST Han, or Leia in a team to battle ComLuke's event. Or because R2 is coming back omg you'll need him or be locked out. No event has ever worked like that. Every event has been faction based, not character based. The one deviation is including Uggy in the Separatist event and he was an extra to the already two factions you could use.

The devs could never quell the amount of rage that would present itself if they said "Well it's a tatooine escape so you'll need to have a 7 star raid Han, Old Ben, Chewbacca, Luke, and R2 for this". That would be game suicide. In fact I'll make you this promise. If the devs lock a toon behind character-specific teams (not factions) offering packs to level those characters up last minute I'll quit the game and never look back. I understand them giving us ewok packs because it takes the entire faction. Or Phoenix team for Thrawn because again, it's an entire faction. But you will never see the devs lock someone behind characters spread out within a faction that people may it may not have. Screenshot this post if you must. I have faith they'll make the right call and say "rebels and jawas" or something that's Tatooine/death star based.
"When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."

Replies

• TofuMao
    630 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    They said they wanted Luke to be released a different way, so everything that has happened before to get a toon, won't happen for Luke.
    Secondly, people can guess, and maybe to get a 7* Luke or to get extra shards on territory battles you'll need 7* raid han and 7* r2, why not?? Would be like the new treat to people with deep rosters and still not leave out newbies.
    By the way I am on the boat of people that think Luke will have something to do with territory battles and it's gonna be a long boring farm, because they stated again that we will need ALL of our roster for TB, sooo, isn't r2 in our rosters????
    Please open your eyes.
  • Options
    They said the Luke event will be unlike the others.

Ridiculous thread.
  • TofuMao
    630 posts Member
    Options
    They said the Luke event will be unlike the others.

Ridiculous thread.
    @slickdealer lol you made it more simple, I wish I was like that as well hehe.
  • Jamesm
    863 posts Member
    Options
    TofuMao wrote: »
    By the way I am on the boat of people that think Luke will have something to do with territory battles and it's gonna be a long boring farm, because they stated again that we will need ALL of our roster for TB, sooo, isn't r2 in our rosters????
    Please open your eyes.

Except we know luke gets unlocked through the heroes journey event which is different from TB? I dont understand your thought process on that one.
  • Options
    They said they wanted Luke to be released a different way, so everything that has happened before to get a toon, won't happen for Luke.
    Secondly, people can guess, and maybe to get a 7* Luke or to get extra shards on territory battles you'll need 7* raid han and 7* r2, why not?? Would be like the new treat to people with deep rosters and still not leave out newbies.
    Please open your eyes.

Reality check -- newbies don't have raid Han or 7* r2. I think you are going to be disappointed.
  • Options
    Funny. So the title of this post is "No you won't need specific toons to unlock Commander Luke"

And you end it by saying specific toons will be needed to unlock Commander Luke.
  • TofuMao
    630 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    SWGAMER6 wrote: »
    Please open your eyes.

Reality check -- newbies don't have raid Han or 7* r2. I think you are going to be disappointed.

Disappointed about what???
    I am more than ready for whatever comes next, actually really short on GW tokens as in getting all my ships to 7*, but the rest, have over 12k saved and ready to max out 6 toons in 2 weeks, maybe 3.... I have a 7* r2 and a 6* Thrawn, I'll be disappointed if Luke is attainable at any star with say rebels, or empire, or sith, so it will be nothing special
    Ps: I even own a 7* kenobi ^_^
  • Options
    Funny. So the title of this post is "No you won't need specific toons to unlock Commander Luke"

And you end it by saying specific toons will be needed to unlock Commander Luke.

It's the old bait & switch.
  • Cm3Po
    234 posts Member
    Options
    New players have a bunch of decisions to make. It's not our fault they didn't start playing when the game launched. I think commander Luke should be locked behind a specific build. It'll make him more special to the veteran players. Thrawn was made special to the p2p for a while. R2 was semi special because not everyone had a full empire team. Palps was missed by a lot of people on his debut. Yoda took a lot of people several months to 7*. Luke should be the same. I don't think any player that started within the last 6 months should be able to walk into this event and obtain a 7* luke without paying for him unless they just so happen to be lucky and farmed the right characters to obtain him, which is unlikely. No special characters should be easy to obtain.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    New Faction: Luke's Friends. Now it's faction based. Problem Solved.
  • Xezee
    274 posts Member
    Options
    JinSaotome wrote: »
    Phoenix team for Thrawn because again, it's an entire faction.

Phoenix won't be a faction until they get generic pilot/trooper etc.

;)
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    Xezee wrote: »

;)

Sooo you're saying Sith weren't a faction until SAss and SiT were released?
    Does that also mean Bounty Hunters aren't a faction?
    Are you saying Ugnaught isn't a faction???
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    Options
    GK and Han Solo were a pain to get when they were first introduced. So I really don't expect it to to be any different in difficulty for Empire Strikes Back Luke. I'm just hoping that it won't be an epic lame handout, in the way of the marquee type event.

• MistahShowtime
    68 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The only people who know if we will or not are the devs. None of them are saying a word (per usual) so the only thing anyone can do right now is speculate what will happen. I just hope they give us a proper 2 week notice at least (again, per usual) and dropping it on us 2-3 days away and expecting us to spend hundreds to get what we need in that time.
    Post edited by Sunnie1978 on
  • Options

It's the old bait & switch.

I believe you guys need to brush up on the difference between "characters" and "factions".
    "When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."
  • Options
    Vertigo wrote: »
    New Faction: Luke's Friends. Now it's faction based. Problem Solved.

:lol:
  • Options
    Vertigo wrote: »
    Xezee wrote: »

;)

Sooo you're saying Sith weren't a faction until SAss and SiT were released?
    Does that also mean Bounty Hunters aren't a faction?
    Are you saying Ugnaught isn't a faction???

How could you insult the mighty Ugnaught??? :wink:
  • Options
    Cm3Po wrote: »
    New players have a bunch of decisions to make. It's not our fault they didn't start playing when the game launched. I think commander Luke should be locked behind a specific build. It'll make him more special to the veteran players. Thrawn was made special to the p2p for a while. R2 was semi special because not everyone had a full empire team. Palps was missed by a lot of people on his debut. Yoda took a lot of people several months to 7*. Luke should be the same. I don't think any player that started within the last 6 months should be able to walk into this event and obtain a 7* luke without paying for him unless they just so happen to be lucky and farmed the right characters to obtain him, which is unlikely. No special characters should be easy to obtain.

If they use your thinking. Say good by to new people. It can be a happy medium. Look at a game like Eve online. Based on mostly time spent They have a player base that never grows. While a game like world of Warcraft allowed new people to get in at the beginning of every expansion. I am not saying that has to be true for this game. But I think this games current state swings heavily toward the Eve side already. Throwing a bone to new players isn't going to be the end of the world. I am sure your EPeen will still be mighty.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Options
    Arronwolf wrote: »
    While a game like world of Warcraft allowed new people to get in at the beginning of every expansion
    And then 90% of players quit after the first month. I'm not sure that's the best comparison.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    i wish people would include "i think" in these type of threads.

The devs could never quell the amount of rage that would present itself if they said "Well it's a tatooine escape so you'll need to have a 7 star raid Han, Old Ben, Chewbacca, Luke, and R2 for this". That would be game suicide. In fact I'll make you this promise.

I'll promise you that people will keep playing even if you'll need 7 star raid Han, Old Ben, Chewbacca, Luke, and R2 for this to unlock 7 star commander luke. Any long term player has those characters already and they're not.that hard to get.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Hskull55
    2263 posts Member
    Options
    SWGAMER6 wrote: »
    Please open your eyes.

I think new players shouldn't get Commander Luke, I'm fine if he is unlocked using specific characters
    My collection https://swgoh.gg/u/Hskull55/
    Sorry for my English :]
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »
    i wish people would include "i think" in these type of threads.

The devs could never quell the amount of rage that would present itself if they said "Well it's a tatooine escape so you'll need to have a 7 star raid Han, Old Ben, Chewbacca, Luke, and R2 for this". That would be game suicide. In fact I'll make you this promise.

I'll promise you that people will keep playing even if you'll need 7 star raid Han, Old Ben, Chewbacca, Luke, and R2 for this to unlock 7 star commander luke. Any long term player has those characters already and they're not.that hard to get.
    I think some of these posters weren't around when K2 was released lol.
  • Smithie
    1427 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I see people are freaking out speculating that you'll need ST Han, or Leia in a team to battle ComLuke's event. Or because R2 is coming back omg you'll need him or be locked out. No event has ever worked like that. Every event has been faction based, not character based. The one deviation is including Uggy in the Separatist event and he was an extra to the already two factions you could use.

The devs could never quell the amount of rage that would present itself if they said "Well it's a tatooine escape so you'll need to have a 7 star raid Han, Old Ben, Chewbacca, Luke, and R2 for this". That would be game suicide. In fact I'll make you this promise. If the devs lock a toon behind character-specific teams (not factions) offering packs to level those characters up last minute I'll quit the game and never look back. I understand them giving us ewok packs because it takes the entire faction. Or Phoenix team for Thrawn because again, it's an entire faction. But you will never see the devs lock someone behind characters spread out within a faction that people may it may not have. Screenshot this post if you must. I have faith they'll make the right call and say "rebels and jawas" or something that's Tatooine/death star based.

I'm gonna book mark this one and coming back to it at a later date.

Its very possible that named characters can be used because its been hinted heavily. The game has to evolve at some point as it cannot keep using faction characters.

If your gonna quit and leave the game over a character needing characters that are geniune to this actual story, then you might as well pack your backs now lol.
  • Options
    I heard you need hk-47, ig-88, ig-86, je and nebit to unlock him.
    Still packing?
    If the devs lock a toon behind character-specific teams (not factions) offering packs to level those characters up last minute I'll quit the game and never look back.

• Arronwolf
    8 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Olga wrote: »
    Arronwolf wrote: »
    While a game like world of Warcraft allowed new people to get in at the beginning of every expansion
    And then 90% of players quit after the first month. I'm not sure that's the best comparison.
    I think it is a great comparison, a player base in the millions compared to 30000 to 50000k. But hey keep holding on to the dream. Maybe someday it will just be like 100 whales playing this game
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Options
    No, because this game has good player retention rates, like Eve, which has had a fairly steady playerbase for the past 14 years.

WoW has terrible player retention rates and can only make money by selling overhyped expansion packs which people get bored of after a month. Your example is terrible and destroys the point you are trying to make.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Mostly, yeah. I don't think you'll need an exact specific squad.

But I do think you're going to need Farmboy Luke in some capacity. I base this hunch on them giving a free Luke unlock in June (May? Was it for 4 May?) and making him the August login character.

I think a specific squad will be used for the event, but that they will be Event Units, so you won't need them unlocked or geared.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »

But I do think you're going to need Farmboy Luke in some capacity. I base this hunch on them giving a free Luke unlock in June (May? Was it for 4 May?) and making him the August login character.

I think a specific squad will be used for the event, but that they will be Event Units, so you won't need them unlocked or geared.

Fully agree. Fyi Luke was given for the 40th anniversary on May 25
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Kissycat wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »

Fully agree. Fyi Luke was given for the 40th anniversary on May 25
    I knew if I just kept throwing out dates that eventually one would be right!

I forgot the Flash Event, too. It's another way to incentivize players into working on Luke before whatever the event is.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    You need a faction of only 6 Characters (phoenix) to unlock Thrawn - why shouldn't they use a special subset of characters now to unlock Commander Luke ?

Farmer Luke, Raid Han, Leia, R2, Old Ben, Stormtrooper Han - these are also 6... and be sure: you will need Farmer Luke, otherwise all this "Hero's journey" does not make any sense.

They want people to level/star/gear characters which are uncommon - Old Ben is rather uncommon these days... I'm sure we will also see other events where we will need CUP, Mob Enforcer, the Night Sisters, Gamorrean Guard, Zam Wesell, the Geonosians, Pao, Bodhi, the Tuskans...
This discussion has been closed.