Flash events: weak characters

Nauros
5429 posts Member
I really don't get the reasoning behind this. Why, when we are given a preconfigured squad, make all the jawas die from two attacks? Why not give us something that can actually win without getting really lucky? And I'm not even talking about the hard bonus tier, this is tier III. And the rewards are, as usual, laughable...

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    They are a work in progress. Give them a chance to figure out the final version of these types of events.

Moved to correct sub forum.
  • Having the same trouble and I'm in the 70-79 bracket, receiving the event level 85 characters. Luke got destroyed in Tier I and I could not complete it. Nor could I complete Tier III--same thing as you described where the Jawas all died way too fast. Tier II, however, was tuned much better and I won rather easily. Seems buggy?
  • Julmay
    177 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    It is heavily rng dependant. A couple of crits early from the tuskens and it is over. There is nothing you can do about it except start over. It is unfortunately how they designed the event
    Post edited by Julmay on
  • I am in partial agreement with you, @Julmay

it IS rng dependent, though it IS winnable. It's also how they designed the event. The problem is that with other events where you're near the edge of the EventToons' capacities, you have 24 hours or more to try several times, to figure things out, to get just the right RNG start. It took me several tries to win the ATST event, though after winning once the second time was easier and the third time was a bit easier than that. Obviously strategy plays a role and these are unfamiliar toons. Obviously RNG plays a role and the event was designed to be near the edge of the squad's ability to overcome.

So, no problem so far. But when you're playing someone else's squad and you aren't familiar with best strategies, getting destroyed in the first few attacks doesn't help you develop a feel for the strategy you need. So you have to put in the time of those unsuccessful attempts before you can begin winning 50+% of the time.

And therein lies the rub: When the event lasts for an hour, and real humans have jobs, incoming phone calls, a need to eat or visit the restroom, y'know, a need to actually live your life, then you can't necessarily start at the beginning of the hour, and it is quite easy to run out of time without finishing it, even though you've obviously qualified for the event and obviously made yourself as available as you can during the time frame offered.

Whether it's fair or not is another question. it's a game, EA makes the rules, fair is to at least some extent whatever EA says is fair. But from a play perspective, to launch your attempt(s) and die without time to try again is just frustrating. This is especially so when RNG can play such a significant role. If someone else gets good RNG in the first round or two of attacks, they get more practice with the squad and learn more about strategy in less time ... but not because they're better strategists than the people that RNG cursed. Some people just got a chance and some people didn't.

On the one hand, that's the nature of RNG, on the other it's a fair criticism that EA should know that that is the nature of RNG and either make it easier to finish or have a button pop up that reads, "Try Again Immediately?" Just like you now get to complete a single attempt that goes over the time limit so long as you started the fight before the time limit, the button would allow you to play as many retries as you like so long as all your toons die in an unsuccessful attempt and so long as you don't take a break to do something else.

Something like that would stay true to the spirit of the Flash Event's limited time period while allowing only a single victory (as now) per period, but also allowing the people who get bad RNG to try again and get the same rewards as people with good RNG, just as long as they are willing to work for them.

it's not really about "fair". It's about whether or not EA understands how their players feel when presented with this sort of challenge under this sort of pressure using a team with which players are most likely very unfamiliar.