Character Strategy: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Old Ben)

Prev13456789
Kozispoon
3245 posts EA Staff (retired)
edited August 2017
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Old Ben)

Old Ben Kenobi has been reworked with two unavoidable attacks and a new special ability: "Devoted Protector" which allows him to taunt at will, making him a threat from the very start of the battle.
  • Old Ben now has the Rebel category tag!

BASIC: Elegant Form
  • Now grants Potency Up instead of Evasion Up
  • Omega upgrade is now: "This attack can't be Evaded and inflicts Evasion Down for 2 turns"

SPECIAL 1: Mind Tricks
  • This ability can no longer be Evaded
  • Omega upgrade now grants "Jedi and Rebel allies gain 3% Turn Meter for each effect Resisted" in addition to previous bonus of "+15% Turn Meter Reduction Chance"

SPECIAL 2: Devoted Protector
gurak9qhs80d.gif
  • New ability!
  • Fully Upgraded Without Zeta: "Old Ben gains Taunt for 2 turns. All allies gain Defense Up for 2 turns." (Cooldown 4)
  • Fully Upgraded With Zeta: "Old Ben gains Taunt for 2 turns. When this Taunt expires, Old Ben gains Taunt for 1 turn. All allies gain Defense Up for 2 turns." (Cooldown 4)

UNIQUE: If You Strike Me Down (REWORKED)
  • Ability reworked, and gained a new ZETA upgrade: "+2% Turn Meter Gain, +20% Heal, +20% Protection Recovery, and the first time Old Ben is defeated all allies gain 25% Turn Meter"
  • Fully upgraded, it reads: "Whenever another Jedi or Rebel ally takes damage, Old Ben gains 5% Turn Meter. The first time Old Ben is defeated, all allies gain Offense Up and Speed Up for 2 turns, recover 50% Health and 50% Protection, and gain 25% Turn Meter."

General Strategy
  • Now tagged as a Rebel, Old Ben fits perfectly under leads such as Jyn Erso. He is able to provide AoE Offense Down, Ability Block, and Turn Meter Removal all in one ability, Mind Tricks.
  • We have changed the way his Unique, “If You Strike Me Down”, works, granting Old Ben 5% Turn Meter each time a Jedi or Rebel ally is damaged. Old Ben cannot be ignored as each strike against his allies gets him closer to ‘Mind Tricking’ you again.
  • Old Ben Gains a new Special Ability, “Devoted Protector”, that grants Old Ben a Taunt for 2 turns that if dispelled or simply runs out due to its duration, grants Old Ben another Taunt for 1 turn.
Thank you for your patience 8D Forum Guidelines
Post edited by Kozispoon on

Replies

• Dretzle
    716 posts Member
    Thrawn's Fracture must dispel just before it applies Fracture, which is why the taunt can come back even though he's Fractured? Because he's not Fractured when the taunt is regained?
  • Does he still hit like he is swinging a wet noodle?
    Character Name: Nofaultius
  • Brownie
    298 posts Member
    Can you clarify what is happening here @CG_Kozispoon since you cant gain buffs while Fractured, why is Old Ben still taunting?
  • Peempo
    403 posts Member
    Looks great, but I have one question: is old Ben receiving the rebel tag in addition to Jedi? Or in place of?
  • Was Old Ben's leadership ability left unchanged? It looks like he still has it in the gif, but there isn't a description in the post.
  • scuba
    14016 posts Member
    So it looks like if old ben has taunt and is fractured he will be taunting while fractured.
  • I love the art look of all the new abilities
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Lol, whats with the exclamation point?
  • Peempo wrote: »
    Looks great, but I have one question: is old Ben receiving the rebel tag in addition to Jedi? Or in place of?

Was just about to ask that. If he loses his Jedi tag (which he **** well shouldn't), there go my immediate plans for his rework.
  • scuba wrote: »
    So it looks like if old ben has taunt and is fractured he will be taunting while fractured.

I just assumed fracture disappeared because thrawn would have taken another turn after doing fracture. There by removing fracture
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    yossgold wrote: »
    Peempo wrote: »

Was just about to ask that. If he loses his Jedi tag (which he **** well shouldn't), there go my immediate plans for his rework.

His abilities have positive effects for both rebels and jedi so yes, he's still a jedi
  • He will clearly still have his Jedi tag, one of his abilities has synergy with Jedi and rebels.
  • Brownie
    298 posts Member
    wisenuts wrote: »
    scuba wrote: »

I just assumed fracture disappeared because thrawn would have taken another turn after doing fracture. There by removing fracture

He has taunt and Fracture at the same time if you watch closely.
  • yossgold wrote: »

Though, since his abilities grant "Jedi and Rebels" stuff, I think we can be sure he won't lose his Jedi tag.
  • That animation for Devoted Protector is absolutely sweet. I'm sad I've not farmed Ben before now. I doubt I'll be able to get him before the Journey event, especially considering I still need to get 7* R2.

But this rework looks pretty good IMHO.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/dorianblade Discord: DorianBlade#6090 Ally: 547-174-177
  • When will this come out guys? (Approx date)

Next week

August . . . .

Character Name: Nofaultius
  • zombiwan_kenobi
    427 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Too bad he's loosing the evasion up since he's taunting now... Since his damage output is terrible he could have kept this buff tbh. Loosing a turn to hit with his ridiculous basic before he uses mind trick is suicidal and uninteresting tactics especially since you need another turn to taunt...
    Design around this rework doesn't feel smooth nor quite logical to me.
    Buffing his potency and making him automatically taunt upon X situation on his unique or on another would have been way better than another uninspired taunt skill.

Using a zeta on him feels like a theft and locking the 5% TM gain behind it is utterly frustrating. Old ben could have been awesome but in the end he's a really awkward, better but still bad overall. Ok more TM means faster mind trick but (1) his basic is worthless and even worse with potency up (only his special needs it, seriously) (2) Mind trick CD is too long anyway, everyone will be dead before he'll be able to use it (3) his speed his still totally bad and i can assure you he'll still be the last who will be killed, ever.
    Mission failed...

Plus I don't get much the new obsession around putting zetas everywhere, especially on terrible toons.
  • Kozispoon

This...this is a weird gif. We're looking to replace it with something more clear to better showcase the ability. Cheers!
  • Jamesm
    863 posts Member
    They took a lot out of mind tricks though
  • Kozispoon
    bth.gif

• Question @CG_Kozispoon - does his AI prioritize taunt or mind tricks?
  • benacrow
    2700 posts Member

This...this is a weird gif. We're looking to replace it with something more clear to better showcase the ability. Cheers!

We were discussing this in our guild chat just now, and it wouldn't follow the rules of fracture if he were to gain a buff after being fractured. I hope that gif is not a correct representation of what will happen though.
    FN 2187, Mighty Chlorians (spelt with a lowercase l not a capital I): Heroic AAT Guide, The Gear Grind
  • hahahaha here i come HAAT p3, here i come.
    love this. love the taunt, love the taunt after the taunt, love the TM gain when not hit.
    im sure he still doing like... 0 damage, but im kinda fine with it, his job is crowd control and take hits. gonna be great with r2d2, enemy will have to atc obi!
    but very important - can we get the IYSMD description without the zeta ? im having hard time understand its level 7 @CG_Kozispoon or anyone else that understood.
  • scuba wrote: »

This contradicts fracture because fracture means you cant gain buffs
  • Time to gear up Fulcrum. Under Jyn, bring Old Ben back to get struck down again?
    https://swgoh.gg/u/speedokillz/

December 2016 Arena Shard
  • Devian
    663 posts Member
    seems like trouble
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Jamesm wrote: »
    They took a lot out of mind tricks though

How so? They only added to it
  • Kitch
    171 posts Member
    Showing this in a 1v1 situation results in a confusing gif.