Character Strategy: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Old Ben)

Replies

• Is it just me, or is Old Ben rework basically making him a more useful version of Cassian vs the current Tenacity up spamming meta?
  • Smapty wrote: »
    Smapty wrote: »
    @CG_Kozispoon

The ultimate question is this... what half the posts in this thread have addressed or speculated on so far...

Will Old Ben still be taunting while fractured? (Considering it breaks his initial taunt)

Regardless of the scenario? Like if anyone other than Thrawn moves immediately after he applies the fracture to Old Ben?

It could potentially bring a big advantage to his taunt in arena or otherwise...

Old Ben's Zeta Taunt should last 1 turn through Fracture.
    The old gif just wasn't clear that Thrawn immediately started another turn and dispelled Fracture.

@CG_Kozispoon

So wait a second now...

You say "zeta taunt"... but in the ability description it doesn't make any mention of this being a zeta ability...

Does Old Ben have two zeta abilities???

Sooo... Does Old Ben have 1 zeta or two?

2. IYSMD and Devoted Protector.

So speculation? Or...

I don't see any mention of a second zeta on devoted protector... Unless that's to be assumed by "fully upgraded"

I'm curious...

You can't speculate what a dev just confirmed that you quoted.

Could have been misspoken....

Highly doubful. It's more likely a typo in the player description that she forgot to mention a Zeta. She probably assumed because it's a new ability all together (and said when fully upgraded) that Zeta was implied.
  • Whazn
    262 posts Member
    Ender22 wrote: »
    Before you all say, well, Thrawn is useless now.. this reduces taunts duration by 2 turns! Dispel one more time or wait out a turn and then devastate the rest of the team.

Oh great, so only need two dispellers. Guess I'll just run... (who has two dispellers? Oh right!) Rebels.
    Whazn wrote: »
    Or the standard rex gk chaze dn triple cleanse...
    Rex L seriously? Youve seen this new character coming named Commander Luke?

I'm well aware of Luke coming out. Just saying that most teams have double dispel already so nothing new is needed.
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    Before you all say, well, Thrawn is useless now.. this reduces taunts duration by 2 turns! Dispel one more time or wait out a turn and then devastate the rest of the team.

Oh great, so only need two dispellers. Guess I'll just run... (who has two dispellers? Oh right!) Rebels.

I'm well aware of Luke coming out. Just saying that most teams have double dispel already so nothing new is needed.

Sorry mate, you're confusing what we define here as dispel, with cleanse. Dispel is removing buffs from the opponent. What Rex, Chirruit, and GK does is cleanse.
  • Whazn
    262 posts Member

Sorry mate, you're confusing what we define here as dispel, with cleanse. Dispel is removing buffs from the opponent. What Rex, Chirruit, and GK does is cleanse.

Not confusing anything. Rex chaze gk nihilus has 2 dispel. Baze has 2 moves, nihilus has one. Yes it has 3 cleanse, but also 2 dispel. 3 if you want to count baze twice.
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member

Not confusing anything. Rex chaze gk nihilus has 2 dispel. Baze has 2 moves, nihilus has one. Yes it has 3 cleanse, but also 2 dispel. 3 if you want to count baze twice.

Ah. The confus-ed was me, oops!
  • Whazn
    262 posts Member
    Lol yea. I was just saying how double dispel is in most teams any way. Even the new rex, r2, gk, dn, thrawn has double with dn and thrawn. Needing 2 dispel changes nothing.
  • Kozispoon
    3245 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Devoted Protector and If You Strike Me Down both have Zetas. Just realized this wasn't clear in the rework notes. EDITED!
    me3.gif
    Thank you for your patience 8D Forum Guidelines
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    Oh man, Pao with his AoE defense down! And all the counter attacks reducing his cooldown?
  • I really don't like this rework. What made old Ben cool was that no other character could provide the amount of buffs to your team that he did. Yeah, his kit was a little awkward, but it made you think about how to use him.

All they did with the rework was turn him into a tweaked version of scarif rebel pathfinder..
  • Thinking about throwing him in my zQGJ team instead of lumi. Thoughts?
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    Devoted Protector and If You Strike Me Down both have Zetas. Just realized this wasn't clear in the rework notes. EDITED!
    me3.gif

I'm just gonna pull this straight from another thread...

"I'm going to do some speculation here... so take it for what it's worth...

Let's say you want to run the new Luke with all his recently reworked friends...

I'm guessing that team is going to use about 10 zetas to be at its optimum (maybe 9).

So with no head start that's 5 or 6 months of farming zetas to get it fully realized? Maybe a month or two less if you got a head start somehow... and really push for it.

Think that same team is still going to be relevant in a few months once you've finally got them where you want them?

Probably not... it will be scoundrels under Jango... or Nightsisters... or Droids... or Jedi under the next incarnation of Luke... or who knows?

I guess the point is that zetas take so long to farm that by the time you build up a team it's already rendered obsolete by the new characters that have just been released..."

3 zetas on Luke, 2 on old ben, 2 on R2... how many more with "the Han's" and Leia... plus the new Hoth Leia and Han?

It's making my brain hurt :(

• Old Ben's Zeta Taunt should last 1 turn through Fracture.
    The old gif just wasn't clear that Thrawn immediately started another turn and dispelled Fracture.

Can you explain this exactly? So Ben has taunt. Thrawn fractures him. Ben ignores the "cannot gain buffs" part of fracture and taunts? Can he regain taunt through other forms of buff immunity?
  • Do teammates with the Jedi and Rebel tag get double benefits?
  • Too bad he's loosing the evasion up since he's taunting now... Since his damage output is terrible he could have kept this buff tbh. Loosing a turn to hit with his ridiculous basic before he uses mind trick is suicidal and uninteresting tactics especially since you need another turn to taunt...
    Design around this rework doesn't feel smooth nor quite logical to me.
    Buffing his potency and making him automatically taunt upon X situation on his unique or on another would have been way better than another uninspired taunt skill.

Using a zeta on him feels like a theft and locking the 5% TM gain behind it is utterly frustrating. Old ben could have been awesome but in the end he's a really awkward, better but still bad overall. Ok more TM means faster mind trick but (1) his basic is worthless and even worse with potency up (only his special needs it, seriously) (2) Mind trick CD is too long anyway, everyone will be dead before he'll be able to use it (3) his speed his still totally bad and i can assure you he'll still be the last who will be killed, ever.
    Mission failed...

Plus I don't get much the new obsession around putting zetas everywhere, especially on terrible toons.

Agree. Entirely.

- HumbleSage
    "To me, there is no light or dark side to The Force. There's just the Force and I'll wield it how I see fit."
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member

Can you explain this exactly? So Ben has taunt. Thrawn fractures him. Ben ignores the "cannot gain buffs" part of fracture and taunts? Can he regain taunt through other forms of buff immunity?

Hey dude. It's been explained. There is a gap between dispel and application of Fracture. In his order of operations gap, the new taunt wedges into place.
  • #firstworldproblems
  • Nebulous wrote: »

Hey dude. It's been explained. There is a gap between dispel and application of Fracture. In his order of operations gap, the new taunt wedges into place.

So if you inflict buff immunity with someone while he's taunting, and then dispel it, he can't regain it?
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    Nebulous wrote: »

So if you inflict buff immunity with someone while he's taunting, and then dispel it, he can't regain it?

You've got it!
  • El_Guapo wrote: »
    Do teammates with the Jedi and Rebel tag get double benefits?

No
  • Time to gear up Fulcrum. Under Jyn, bring Old Ben back to get struck down again?

Won't work, buffs only occur the first time he dies....
  • Ledinis
    193 posts Member
    RandyMarsh wrote: »
    Thinking about throwing him in my zQGJ team instead of lumi. Thoughts?

The only thoughts that are running through my mind is why do you even have a Lumi under a ZQGJ lead. To answer your question yes, you can throw a non jedi in place of Lumi under his lead and get more use of it since she is worthless.

Fracture is a multi part attack. It deals damage, dispells all previous buffs, removes turn metter only then applies fracture (the part that prevent any further buff gain). Old ben regains taunt as soon as its dispelled, so it happens before he actually receives the fracture debuff. Its the same way lets say a B2 works. His attack deals damage, dispells and inflicts buff immunity. Normally tenacity up would make you immune to any debuffs, but since he first dispells and only then checks to inflict buff immunity, he can put out buff immunity on teams with tenacity up.
  • Pariah_Anchorite
    836 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Every resisted debuff should have given him an expose and health down
  • RushForGoals
    111 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    If my old Ben unique and leader are max'd now, what will happen to those abilities after update? Does he lost the omega update like what I heard about ewok elder losing all omega after update?
    Post edited by RushForGoals on
  • If my old Ben unique and leader are max'd now, what will happen to those abilities after update? Does he lost the omega update like what I heard about ewok elder losing all omega after update?

Old Bens lead is not changing. His unique is getting a Zeta so you have to pay for that upgrade plus all levels of his new Devoted Protector special. The rest are reworks and cost the same and if they're already maxed you don't have to do anything.
  • Peempo wrote: »
    Looks great, but I have one question: is old Ben receiving the rebel tag in addition to Jedi? Or in place of?

In addition
  • Ledinis wrote: »

The only thoughts that are running through my mind is why do you even have a Lumi under a ZQGJ lead. To answer your question yes, you can throw a non jedi in place of Lumi under his lead and get more use of it since she is worthless.

Fracture is a multi part attack. It deals damage, dispells all previous buffs, removes turn metter only then applies fracture (the part that prevent any further buff gain). Old ben regains taunt as soon as its dispelled, so it happens before he actually receives the fracture debuff. Its the same way lets say a B2 works. His attack deals damage, dispells and inflicts buff immunity. Normally tenacity up would make you immune to any debuffs, but since he first dispells and only then checks to inflict buff immunity, he can put out buff immunity on teams with tenacity up.

She's just one of the first Jedi I got at 7*. I use Kylo as my 5th in arena. I was going to farm a 5th Jedi (Ezra or Aayla) for my squad after I finished empire for r2 and I still will, but I'd want to throw old ben in there until then if he's a better choice now.
  • RandyMarsh wrote: »
    Ledinis wrote: »

She's just one of the first Jedi I got at 7*. I use Kylo as my 5th in arena. I was going to farm a 5th Jedi (Ezra or Aayla) for my squad after I finished empire for r2 and I still will, but I'd want to throw old ben in there until then if he's a better choice now.

Ezra and Aayla combo well off each other.
  • If my old Ben unique and leader are max'd now, what will happen to those abilities after update? Does he lost the omega update like what I heard about ewok elder losing all omega after update?

Old Bens lead is not changing. His unique is getting a Zeta so you have to pay for that upgrade plus all levels of his new Devoted Protector special. The rest are reworks and cost the same and if they're already maxed you don't have to do anything.

Thanks. I confused about the leader and unique abilities. Lol
  • When Zeta applied he should turn into a Blue Glowie :p