Arena - help an experienced FTP player out

Lorenzo
110 posts Member
edited February 2016
FTP player here since 12/1. I was top 10 in arena for a while, slipping now to to the 40 to 60 range, and always complete GW. So by no means a novice.

One of the reasons I've slipped in arena is being consistently one step behind the meta. E.g., I just finished five starring Poe. My 7 stars is fairly typical for FTP - Sid, lumi, Poogle, 88, ren, phasma. Daka is only four stars and rather useless. I just unlocked qui gon jinn. I'm notably behind the curve on Jedi and fast heroes.

Where to go from here.? Current farms are qui gon jinn, mace, eeth koth, and 86. Gradually working on dooku via HM. It's going to be quite a while before I can compete with the current meta (and some of my farms are aimed more at the Jedi challenge). What to do in the short/ medium/long term?

Replies

• I am in a similar position. Here are my 7 star almost max gear toons:
    Lumi, sid, 5's, ig88, phasma

My 5 and 6 star almost max gear toons:
    Jc, dooku, poggle, kylo

And i have an almost 4 star 142 speed poe.

I was farming ig86, ek, dooku and poe when the update hit.

I am doing the same except switching qgj in cantina shipments.

I don't know where to focus for my arena team.

For gw purposes, I am considering farming bariss rather than dooku but i like dooku's' anti jedi ability.

Without fast damage dealers maybe i need to use tanky aoe and counter attck. But yesterday i dropped in arena from 14 to 40 something.
  • Lorenzo
    110 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Some more thoughts: Continuing to farm qui gon seems to be a no brainer. Mace and koth for the Jedi challenge (which leads to a fast yoda), though I could see delaying mace (qui gon will be my limiting factor and take much longer than mace) to work on dooku. That leaves 86, but I see no good options here. Am I missing one?

Really hurt by wasting almost 300 shards on fives and boba fett ;though fives a least has been somewhat useful; boba fett not so much).

Not really complaining, but the recent update seems to have hit FTP players pretty hard.
  • The only other option i see is to delay getting yoda by farming gs first.

Rey is a long term project through hard modes.
  • Think you may be onto something regarding GS. Won't even delay unlocking yoda, as mace is already 5*. Might delay getting yoda to 7* though, and it delays dooku, who seems like a good choice in the new meta.
  • What level are you? Can you farm 69 cantina yet? Then you should grind Dooku in cantina, too. Refresh Cantina energy at least once - that also helps with cantina shipments. I am using a 4* Daka too. The stuns together with Dooku are very nice.
    The very essence of being f2p is that you will most likely ALWAYS be behind the meta. Since people who spend money will get there faster. All you can do is follow the update anouncements and try to think ahead (hands down - that is not easy with EA annoucing only the half-truth).
    You can always try to break the meta which gets easier the larger your toon base gets. So you (we) will need some patience I guess.
  • Lorenzo wrote: »
    FTP player here since 12/1. I was top 10 in arena for a while, slipping now to to the 40 to 60 range, and always complete GW. So by no means a novice.

One of the reasons I've slipped in arena is being consistently one step behind the meta. E.g., I just finished five starring Poe. My 7 stars is fairly typical for FTP - Sid, lumi, Poogle, 88, ren, phasma. Daka is only four stars and rather useless. I just unlocked qui gon jinn. I'm notably behind the curve on Jedi and fast heroes.

Where to go from here.? Current farms are qui gon jinn, mace, eeth koth, and 86. Gradually working on dooku via HM. It's going to be quite a while before I can compete with the current meta (and some of my farms are aimed more at the Jedi challenge). What to do in the short/ medium/long term?

Farm Geo Soldier in Cantina to start. He's very very strong, especially combined with Poe and QGJ. If Poggle assists him, you will see some rather unbelievable numbers. He's also relatively easy to farm, and goes to G9, with 145ish speed.

If you can build a Sid/Phasma (L), Poe, GS, Poggle, QGJ team, you will not be disappointed with the current meta. That's a very strong setup. QGJ (L) , Poe, Poggle, GS, IG86 would also be very strong.

• Lorenzo wrote: »
    Some more thoughts: Continuing to farm qui gon seems to be a no brainer. Mace and koth for the Jedi challenge (which leads to a fast yoda), though I could see delaying mace (qui gon will be my limiting factor and take much longer than mace) to work on dooku. That leaves 86, but I see no good options here. Am I missing one?

Really hurt by wasting almost 300 shards on fives and boba fett ;though fives a least has been somewhat useful; boba fett not so much).

Not really complaining, but the recent update seems to have hit FTP players pretty hard.

I could very easily see Boba becoming the new Sid meta if base damage gets toned down (or even if it doesn't); at level 8 his Leader gives 50% Crit Multi and 10% crit chance, which is far better than Sid's, and he would fit in well on an AoE team.
  • HershBathens
    821 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    What do you think the odds are of damage be toned down or defense being toned up?
  • @Lorenzo F2P here as well. Started 12/3 and rank top 5 most days.

I second the Geo Soldier pick. You need to get him ASAP. Yoda will be very difficult to get to 7* for F2P and I'm not sure he'll be viable in arena at 5* since he will be very squishy, so farming Mace/Barriss instead of GS is not the best option - unless you reaalllly want Yoda so you can play GW with him :smile:

GS also gets better when we move into the next meta with the level 80 cap because his next Special upgrade is "Cooldown -1"...which means he will be firing an assist special every time he moves.
  • Ееth Koth is pretty solid. He has quite good potency and his stun lands 3 out of 4 times. His HP are pretty good for an int char. With QGJ he has pretty good speed. He hits for around 2K with no crit and 3-3.2 K with crit with his basics. The investment is soooooo good. He's been in my team since i've got him at 6*. Now with all the droid teams and with the Poe nerf, when I put QGJ as leader, Eeth can destroy these droide squads.
  • At least ek is not a complete waste.
  • The meta is constantly changing. I would not take advice to heart and focus on who you want to play, especially if you are FTP. Or in a few weeks/month you will find yourself in a similar situation.
  • My hybrid droid team got hit hard by the stealth nerf. So I'm in the same boat. Once I get Mace to 5* I'm switching back to GS.... Really wanted to get my Dooku past 4* but unfortunately he's going to the back burner.
  • As a ftp to keep up i need 200 crystals per day for 1 cantina refresh and 2 mission refreshes. That requires top 50 with dailies or top 100 and gw clear with dailies.

Chasing the meta just lets me keep up.
  • @LoveLoveRice agreed that the meta is constantly shifting, but I would disagree on the "pick who you like" advice. A lot of people derive joy from performing well in the game (completing GW every day, high ranking in PVP, etc.) as well as playing characters they "like".

OP seems to have a desire to get back to performing well in Arena, so I think recommendations of strong characters are what is needed here.

For myself, I "like" playing characters that perform the best, so going after these characters is worthwhile to me.
  • LoveLoveRice
    182 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Joby_Wan1 wrote: »
    @LoveLoveRice agreed that the meta is constantly shifting, but I would disagree on the "pick who you like" advice. A lot of people derive joy from performing well in the game (completing GW every day, high ranking in PVP, etc.) as well as playing characters they "like".

OP seems to have a desire to get back to performing well in Arena, so I think recommendations of strong characters are what is needed here.

For myself, I "like" playing characters that perform the best, so going after these characters is worthwhile to me.

I agree, but the strong characters are "changing." Taking advice will most likely be wrong by the time FTP players actually get them geared. It was said FTP players should farm Poe/Poggle/Droids, but that is hardly tier 1 at the moment. I can spout a list of strong characters. By the time a true FTP player gets them and geared up, they will be dust. GS is really strong right now, but will probably be trash in the next update when everyone gets gear IX and X. Considering PVP is vs AI you can take a well geared group of 5 and manage a victory, same with Galactic Wars.
    Lorenzo wrote: »
    One of the reasons I've slipped in arena is being consistently one step behind the meta.
    And as a FTP that will probably always be the case. No one has the meta figured out, since its only been a few days. QGJ has been real strong and with Koth he is pretty fast, toss some other jedi in the mix you can have a pretty cool FTP team and the ability to farm Yoda if you do not have him already.