Why is Nihilus even in SWGOH?

Prev1
Granted I have him zeta'd, 7 star and G11, but I'm wondering about the cryptic significance of him even being in the game, period.

All other characters are at least in a movie or tv show. Unless I've missed something but Nihilus hasn't been in any significant Star Wars film/show, aside from comics and some other games.

Replies

• But he has been in one of the most popular Star Wars games of all times.... And he isn't even the most popular character in the game.

He comes from Knights of the Old Republic II, same place HK-47 comes from (but KOTOR I)
  • He fits the need for a sith in game. Same as hk47 filling the droid void early on.
    Intergalactic space slugs are recruiting. Pm me if interested in entering the slug life. ~°° ♡
  • jwoah
    210 posts Member
    Yeah if you haven't played the game you might not understand but both of them, especially the first one, are still some of the best Star Wars games out there, even though they came out such a long time ago.
  • Wrathe
    198 posts Member
    jwoah wrote: »
    Yeah if you haven't played the game you might not understand but both of them, especially the first one, are still some of the best Star Wars games out there, even though they came out such a long time ago.

Yep, pick them up on Steam. Wait for New Years sale if you want the package really cheap. It's every Star Wars game made in the past. Amazing bundle!
  • But he has been in one of the most popular Star Wars games of all times.... And he isn't even the most popular character in the game.

This mostly. He also looks "sith-y" and has a unique power in the star wars universe that would be interesting to have in a game like this.

• Kotor was free on google play about a year ago. Its fun, although a little tough to play on mobile.
    Intergalactic space slugs are recruiting. Pm me if interested in entering the slug life. ~°° ♡
  • I have both Kotor games for Xbox which is why I went with the 360 because it's backward compatible and Scion would also be a good addition also Bane with his living armor
  • He is a cash cow. I saw many posts about people dropping some money for him, and more posts that people dropped $300 to max him out.
  • He's one of the most powerful Sith Lords in the Star Wars Universe and appears in Knights of the Old Republic 2.
  • There is another aspect. Kotor was made by Bioware that is belong to EA. That's mean Nihilus is belong to EA, such as HK-47 and any other character from Kotor 1 & 2 and SWTOR.

I hope that some other characters from these games will be released soon (Revan, Batilla Shan, Canderous ordo, Mission, Darth Sion or Darth Traya ...)
  • There is another aspect. Kotor was made by Bioware that is belong to EA. That's mean Nihilus is belong to EA, such as HK-47 and any other character from Kotor 1 & 2 and SWTOR.

I hope that some other characters from these games will be released soon (Revan, Batilla Shan, Canderous ordo, Mission, Darth Sion or Darth Traya ...)

Yes!!! Man, they haven't even tapped into the old republic in this game! So many characters we can still bring in!

Revan will be a big character next year during a slow time. Much like Nihlius this year after the Rogue One phase ended

Yes!!! Man, they haven't even tapped into the old republic in this game! So many characters we can still bring in!

Revan will be a big character next year during a slow time. Much like Nihlius this year after the Rogue One phase ended

Maybe Revan will down after the EP VIII phase
  • Yes as much as i hate the auto kill, nihilus and hk are breaths of fresh air on this game other than them you mostly get new content from cartoons currently in rotation and the occassional movie release ignoring a broad tree trunk of rich material. Round of applause for hk and nihilus
  • Darth wrote: »
    "Some of the best Star Wars games"??? No. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic is THEE greatest Star Wars game EVER and one of thee greatest rpg's ever!! No other Star Wars game comes close period.

I love how you put a period after saying period.
  • Knights of the Old Republic is much bigger than Star Wars. Nihilus is a way for EA to pay homage to what KOTOR did. It revolutionized RPG's in a way, it was the precursor to Mass Effect and Dragon Age, and the way those games allow you to make choices with your dialogue that effects character relationships. People loved the game even if they weren't Star Wars fans because it was based on the Dungeons & Dragons D20 and character creation system. People begged and begged for revan and nihilus. I wouldn't be surprised if Nihilus has been the single biggest money making toon the game has seen. I'm not sure what CLS brought in. The people who generate the most income ifor this game are probably in their 30's or older. I expect when Revan gets released the forums will go nuts and people will empty their wallets for him, as opposed to what Phoenix squad did for the younger players.
  • Joost
    233 posts Member
    I hope they'll include him in Canon sometime, just not in Rebels or the new trilogie. Maybe his own book or spin off
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    After the ST is released, the star wars saga will be stale. Yes they are releasing "star wars story" movies such as R1 and Han Solo - now apparently Kenobi, but this is still using the current story arch of star wars to tap into. not to mention classic characters - like Harrison Ford, cannot reprise their role in movies like Han Solo (although I understand Ewan is keen to come back to play Kenobi).

My point is - these movies are still showing the same villains, heroes and ships etc that have been seen before.

I think the direction of future star wars movies needs to look to the Old Republic era - what a fresh resource to tap into!
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »
    After the ST is released, the star wars saga will be stale. Yes they are releasing "star wars story" movies such as R1 and Han Solo - now apparently Kenobi, but this is still using the current story arch of star wars to tap into. not to mention classic characters - like Harrison Ford, cannot reprise their role in movies like Han Solo (although I understand Ewan is keen to come back to play Kenobi).

My point is - these movies are still showing the same villains, heroes and ships etc that have been seen before.

I think the direction of future star wars movies needs to look to the Old Republic era - what a fresh resource to tap into!
    Or maybe they could come up with new material
  • Loose_Lee
    2733 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    @DatBoi revan is the driving force behind the game that literally brought MMORPGS & RPGS to life. Theres no way you can simply erase that.

That being said... new material is also something i want to see. Like a civilization (not Yuzhaan Vong) in the unknown regions with a galaxy that has an advanced race that has built dyson spheres around its sun and planets, heck give them god-like powers derived from black hole farming and other controversial cosmological theories. The possibilities are endless... and it can only stimulate and inspire the imagination
  • Knights of the Old Republic is much bigger than Star Wars. Nihilus is a way for EA to pay homage to what KOTOR did. It revolutionized RPG's in a way, it was the precursor to Mass Effect and Dragon Age, and the way those games allow you to make choices with your dialogue that effects character relationships. People loved the game even if they weren't Star Wars fans because it was based on the Dungeons & Dragons D20 and character creation system. People begged and begged for revan and nihilus. I wouldn't be surprised if Nihilus has been the single biggest money making toon the game has seen. I'm not sure what CLS brought in. The people who generate the most income ifor this game are probably in their 30's or older. I expect when Revan gets released the forums will go nuts and people will empty their wallets for him, as opposed to what Phoenix squad did for the younger players.

What this guy said. He's a genius
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Loose_Lee wrote: »
    @DatBoi revan is the driving force behind the game that literally brought MMORPGS & RPGS to life. Theres no way you can simply erase that.

That being said... new material is also something i want to see. Like a civilization (not Yuzhaan Vong) in the unknown regions with a galaxy that has an advanced race that has built dyson spheres around its sun and planets, heck give them god-like powers derived from black hole farming and other controversial cosmological theories. The possibilities are endless... and it can only stimulate and inspire the imagination

My biggest issue with the popularity of revan is that (as far as i know) "revan" as a character in the star wars mythos, doesnt really exist. Revan is a reflection of whoever plays KOTOR, not a defined person with a unique personality or motivation. Sure, fans have probably compiled all kinds of information and have likely agreed on a basic outline of what is "canon" (i know revan isn't technically canon, but i think you know what i mean), but something as basic as whether revan is a sith or a jedi isn't really clear.

Also, regardless of what aspects of revan's story fans agree are "canon", the whole story has been told. Making a movie of revan would be repetitive, boring, confusing, and would not be successful among the general public.
  • Revan... the slave that became a jedi, that became a sith, that told both to "go suck an egg" and left a holocron of his accumulated knowledge that darth bane used to restructure the sith into the "rule of two" that leads to palpatine destroying the jedi.

Yep theres nothing to that. Move along.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Revan... the slave that became a jedi, that became a sith, that told both to "go suck an egg" and left a holocron of his accumulated knowledge that darth bane used to restructure the sith into the "rule of two" that leads to palpatine destroying the jedi.

Yep theres nothing to that. Move along.

Sounds like that story has been told
  • Yet Obi Wan, Han Solo & Boba Fett have not... at least not enough that there each getting standalone movies.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Yet Obi Wan, Han Solo & Boba Fett have not... at least not enough that there each getting standalone movies.
    Yup. And I can guarantee you that the Han Solo movie will be terrible and extremely unpopular.
  • Which leads us back to new content... not undoing what currently exists in the EU... removing revan undoes all the movies...

Now a thrawn movie... thats something new (to most) and sets up an invasion from the unknown regions. Yuzhann Vong are optional... but probably a little to far outside the PG-13 realm.
  • APX_919
    2468 posts Member
    Which leads us back to new content... not undoing what currently exists in the EU... removing revan undoes all the movies...

Now a thrawn movie... thats something new (to most) and sets up an invasion from the unknown regions. Yuzhann Vong are optional... but probably a little to far outside the PG-13 realm.

They remind me of the Cenobites from the Hellraiser franchise. Definitely not PG13. They never felt Star Warsy to me, seemed more Dr. Whovian or Babylon Fivey.
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • usho1
    363 posts Member
    I vote for more legends characters, would be bette than all the duplicates we get imho
  • Loose_Lee wrote: »
    removing revan undoes all the movies...
    lol
    Yes, the old films would burst into flames and all the digital copies would become corrupted if this imaginary character were forgotten! The movies would make no sense to anyone without this bit of non-canonical backstory!