R2 unlock for commander luke

Replies

• Uklem
    46 posts Member
    I learned long ago for the first yoda event ever that it sucks to not have a full squad of Jedi to complete the event. Since then I farmed every faction..rebels,empire, bounty hunters, even Ewoks, Geonosians and Nightsisters.

It takes time. If I was a new player still I'd probably be a bit worried about not unlocking Luke. Just gotta remember..the event will come back eventually. Farm every faction now and worry about gearing them up when the time comes. That way you'll never be left behind and watch your peers get new toons while you can't.

It just takes time and or money if you choose to go that route.

I agree and people on younger shards need to calm down and realize we won't see many Luke's on our shards accept maybe top fifty and then it won't be everyone I have seen one r2 no thrawns but mine and no general Kenobi granted I have yet to crack the top two hundred but that does bode well for how many of those charecters there are

I wanted to point that while I agree that CLS won't be a real problem in Arena there are other reason to be disappointed in EA/CG.

1 - Luke' s journey has been advertised as something big for the last 6 months. Discovering at the last moment that the event is reserved to old players and whales only is frustrating. A lot of players thought they would be at least able to participate (unlocking a 3* or 5* is enough for a lot of "new" players but not mandatory. I needed 3 try for EP but each time I got a little further.). Now I and a lot of player feel shafted. I personnaly worked on Luke and StHan and now can't even use them. Hope their rework will at leats make them useful.

2 - R2 7* as an imperative is a low blow. After the normal delay between rare legendary I wouldn't have a problem, but now it's more than frustrating. I unlocked him the first time for the CLS event, but between Phoenix, Ewoks and my normal character grinding, I planned to finish my Empire (6* Tarkin my lowest for now) later before the normal R2 event. Now I won't have a 7* R2D2 and the previous point then apply.

3 - We are 3 days after announce and we still don't know how it will work. I can understand not giving gear or level requirement to keep some surprise, but not even telling us what they plan to do for the shard farming is really frustrating. Not only must we alter our planned farming but we don 't even know how. Ex: I can 7* OB in 20 days maximum (starting 1/65) with only 1 refresh a day. If there is DD planned it change this duration in a big way and I don't need to focus all my cantina farming on it. And not knowing doesn't motivate me in spending money since without pack I can still do it. Essentially : Frustration level maxed.

4 - Since this is only the first step in Luke's journey and they follow the movies (the characters needed prove it), does it mean that all of us who don't get CLS are excluded from the event. I hope not, because a game which market its biggest event to the old players and big spender only will not be for me.

I tried to think of something that could alleviate the problem a lot of us have in a way that won't need a complet rework of the event (and allowing Chewie or Han change the event too much) and I think there is a way.

Don't give this event a time limit.
    What it means is for the people without R2 they will still be limited by the next R2 event (another before the next step of the journey might be cool but not obligatory) and for the people without OB/Leia/StHan/Luke they will need to farm but not wait for X months to be allowed to work on CLS and more important Jedi Knight Luke.
    It isn't even a real monetary loss for EA/CG. After all who would spend money on OB or R2? The one who will miss the requirement by one step. Essentially a little margin of the playerbase who need a pack or two for some empire or rebel toons in less than 15 days (Me, I need to max 3 Empire + OB so I can forget it). Every other spender would be some big spender (more than 1 or 2 20$ pack is a big spender for me) which mean whale. And the common thing with whales is they want thing the earliest which means that allowing them to spend money whenever they want is better than every few months when they might have spend their budget on some other game.

As you see there is no crying for a chance for a OP toon from me and I don't think my complaint are unfair, but it becomes trying to read post after post about some supposed crying player when in fact there are far more whinner about the whinner than players asking for a free 7*.
  • Uklem wrote: »
    I learned long ago for the first yoda event ever that it sucks to not have a full squad of Jedi to complete the event. Since then I farmed every faction..rebels,empire, bounty hunters, even Ewoks, Geonosians and Nightsisters.

It takes time. If I was a new player still I'd probably be a bit worried about not unlocking Luke. Just gotta remember..the event will come back eventually. Farm every faction now and worry about gearing them up when the time comes. That way you'll never be left behind and watch your peers get new toons while you can't.

It just takes time and or money if you choose to go that route.

I agree and people on younger shards need to calm down and realize we won't see many Luke's on our shards accept maybe top fifty and then it won't be everyone I have seen one r2 no thrawns but mine and no general Kenobi granted I have yet to crack the top two hundred but that does bode well for how many of those charecters there are

I wanted to point that while I agree that CLS won't be a real problem in Arena there are other reason to be disappointed in EA/CG.

1 - Luke' s journey has been advertised as something big for the last 6 months. Discovering at the last moment that the event is reserved to old players and whales only is frustrating. A lot of players thought they would be at least able to participate (unlocking a 3* or 5* is enough for a lot of "new" players but not mandatory. I needed 3 try for EP but each time I got a little further.). Now I and a lot of player feel shafted. I personnaly worked on Luke and StHan and now can't even use them. Hope their rework will at leats make them useful.

2 - R2 7* as an imperative is a low blow. After the normal delay between rare legendary I wouldn't have a problem, but now it's more than frustrating. I unlocked him the first time for the CLS event, but between Phoenix, Ewoks and my normal character grinding, I planned to finish my Empire (6* Tarkin my lowest for now) later before the normal R2 event. Now I won't have a 7* R2D2 and the previous point then apply.

3 - We are 3 days after announce and we still don't know how it will work. I can understand not giving gear or level requirement to keep some surprise, but not even telling us what they plan to do for the shard farming is really frustrating. Not only must we alter our planned farming but we don 't even know how. Ex: I can 7* OB in 20 days maximum (starting 1/65) with only 1 refresh a day. If there is DD planned it change this duration in a big way and I don't need to focus all my cantina farming on it. And not knowing doesn't motivate me in spending money since without pack I can still do it. Essentially : Frustration level maxed.

4 - Since this is only the first step in Luke's journey and they follow the movies (the characters needed prove it), does it mean that all of us who don't get CLS are excluded from the event. I hope not, because a game which market its biggest event to the old players and big spender only will not be for me.

I tried to think of something that could alleviate the problem a lot of us have in a way that won't need a complet rework of the event (and allowing Chewie or Han change the event too much) and I think there is a way.

Don't give this event a time limit.
    What it means is for the people without R2 they will still be limited by the next R2 event (another before the next step of the journey might be cool but not obligatory) and for the people without OB/Leia/StHan/Luke they will need to farm but not wait for X months to be allowed to work on CLS and more important Jedi Knight Luke.
    It isn't even a real monetary loss for EA/CG. After all who would spend money on OB or R2? The one who will miss the requirement by one step. Essentially a little margin of the playerbase who need a pack or two for some empire or rebel toons in less than 15 days (Me, I need to max 3 Empire + OB so I can forget it). Every other spender would be some big spender (more than 1 or 2 20$ pack is a big spender for me) which mean whale. And the common thing with whales is they want thing the earliest which means that allowing them to spend money whenever they want is better than every few months when they might have spend their budget on some other game.

As you see there is no crying for a chance for a OP toon from me and I don't think my complaint are unfair, but it becomes trying to read post after post about some supposed crying player when in fact there are far more whinner about the whinner than players asking for a free 7*.

I agree if I miss out on the whole thing I will be mad I had everyone but r2 at five stars so I thought I would get a five star Luke I better get a chance down the road and newer players didn't get the charecters because they were never a need for us but I'm keeping hope that the event comes back
  • I believe they released the R2 event early to give everyone a chance to get him. I would speculate that he would have been 6 months if not for this event, that's what Yoda and EP events started at. My guess is they will have both events before the next Luke if CLS is needed for that event. They want people to spend money at each event and if something is blocking you from doing the event that you can't buy they lose money.
  • Jamesm
    863 posts Member
    BaalZebul wrote: »
    I believe they released the R2 event early to give everyone a chance to get him. I would speculate that he would have been 6 months if not for this event, that's what Yoda and EP events started at. My guess is they will have both events before the next Luke if CLS is needed for that event. They want people to spend money at each event and if something is blocking you from doing the event that you can't buy they lose money.

EP was only 4 months lol so R2 was earlier but not by that much.
  • Lucasbortolu
    13 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    you guys need to understand one simple thing, servers are not for free, they will never put on op charaters witch are "free", time to farm and one more thing stop being a kitten, you are never going to have everything you want always.
    Post edited by Sunnie1978 on
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    SWGAMER6 wrote: »
    There are a lot of options there. ...Greedo (for credit heist)...
    If someone farmed Greedo for credit heists before farming STH, then it shows such an alarming lack of good judgment that I can't bring myself to feel sorry about them perhaps not being able to get CLS.
    Uklem wrote: »
    1 - Luke' s journey has been advertised as something big for the last 6 months.
    That's odd, because the very first announcement was on 5/23, less than 2.5 months ago.
    A lot of players thought they would be at least able to participate (unlocking a 3* or 5* is enough for a lot of "new" players but not mandatory.).
    No legendary character has ever unlocked at 3*. And from the start, they said the Luke event was going to be more epic in scale than anything they'd done previously for a character unlock.
    2 - R2 7* as an imperative is a low blow. After the normal delay between rare legendary I wouldn't have a problem, but now it's more than frustrating.
    What's "normal" for a legendary return? For Yoda, it was 1 month. For Palps, it was 4 months. There are only two points in that data set, so how can 3 months not be in the "normal" range? The average of 1 and 4 is 2.5, so R2 is actually closer to the mean than it is to either of the other examples.
    3 - We are 3 days after announce and we still don't know how it will work.
    That's just the way CG operates. It's better to learn not to expect details too far ahead of time. Just plan as if double drops are not coming and be pleasantly surprised if they come in time to make things easier on you.
    4 - Since this is only the first step in Luke's journey and they follow the movies (the characters needed prove it), does it mean that all of us who don't get CLS are excluded from the event.
    I can all but guarantee you that you'll have plenty of chances to get CLS before they release the next incarnation of Luke (assuming they follow the hero's journey pattern). They'll be tracking the numbers and will only release that next Luke once enough players are in a position to make it worth CG's while.
    swgoh.gg profile: Pyrefly -- Check out my Galactic Power Tables and my TB Phase Info Tables !!
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    I believe they released the R2 event early to give everyone a chance to get him. I would speculate that he would have been 6 months if not for this event, that's what Yoda and EP events started at.
    Oh, FFS. Again with the 6-month-legendary-return myth.
    Yoda returned after one month:
    1. First Yoda event started 2/11/16.
    2. Second event started 3/11/16.
    3. Third event started 3/31/16.
    Palpatine returned after four months:
    1. First Palpatine event started 8/18/16.
    2. Second event started 12/23/16.
    swgoh.gg profile: Pyrefly -- Check out my Galactic Power Tables and my TB Phase Info Tables !!
  • Spacestormy1
    107 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Even if you have the ne essary characters for commander luke im betting they will have to be maxed out. I have them all but old ben has gear ix while all the rest are gear lvl 8 and i dont think i can do a lot more with them in that regard before the event. Mods are not top of the line but i can move stuff around. I dont think i will unlock commander luke though unless i get EXTREMELY lucky. His being a 7* unlock is my bet that unless you have the most kick butt built up team you dont have much of a chance.
  • I learned long ago for the first yoda event ever that it sucks to not have a full squad of Jedi to complete the event. Since then I farmed every faction.

The first time I missed Yoda, I started farming jedis immediately to he ready for the next event ignoring other priorities.

That's how this game is, you got to make decision and see it through. I love that about this game. I missed out on Thrawn because I took a break, but the second I came back, I farmed Phoenix squad immediately so I'd be ready for the next one.

SWGOH's community is filled with some dedicated intelligent people and most of them speculated spot on on who to farm, and thank god CG gave us R2 again! I missed out on that and couldn't wait for it to come around.

This game always rotates back in their Legendaries, so if you missed out on thrawn and don't have the resources to get CLS, complete your Phoenix, or, farm out what you would need to complete CLS or R2 so you'll be ready the next time it comes around.

And no, your not falling back behind anybody accept at the pace and expectation you set for yourself. This game has come a long way and to me it continues to get better!

Except for the gear, but that's for a difference thread.
  • Pyrefly wrote: »
    I believe they released the R2 event early to give everyone a chance to get him. I would speculate that he would have been 6 months if not for this event, that's what Yoda and EP events started at.

Owned, lol.
  • To be fair: about 90% of the community didn't get EP the first time. Many didn't get yoda the first time. Many didn't get Thrawn the first time. Etc

I'm sorry, but this has got nothing to do with it. This isn't the first time we had R2. In fact, most assumed a 3-4 month delay after the first event...

It has everything to do with it. If you don't get Luke the first time, get him the second time. Be happy the devs brought back R2 a couple months earlier than anticipated...

...when I was completely unprepared.

Just in case you haven't noticed, Thrawn isn't needed for a gamechanging character. r2 is.

not whining or anything, but they should have given us notice for a un-whale-able thing. Like, you can spend 3 catina refreshes a day to get Ben, but it's impossible to get 5 7* Empire characters at g11 from scratch.
  • To be fair: about 90% of the community didn't get EP the first time. Many didn't get yoda the first time. Many didn't get Thrawn the first time. Etc

I'm sorry, but this has got nothing to do with it. This isn't the first time we had R2. In fact, most assumed a 3-4 month delay after the first event...

It has everything to do with it. If you don't get Luke the first time, get him the second time. Be happy the devs brought back R2 a couple months earlier than anticipated...

...when I was completely unprepared.

Just in case you haven't noticed, Thrawn isn't needed for a gamechanging character. r2 is.

not whining or anything, but they should have given us notice for a un-whale-able thing. Like, you can spend 3 catina refreshes a day to get Ben, but it's impossible to get 5 7* Empire characters at g11 from scratch.

So why do you feel you deserve Luke, possibly the greatest character in the game, when your roster clearly isn't ready? The devs could've easily made Luke behind a massive pay wall, but they didn't. And I applaud them for it. (And PS, why do you need gear 11 empire characters...? R2 event doesn't require that)
  • Tijack wrote: »
    The worst part about R2 isnt the requirements, its the surprise of it. "Hey guys you need R2! oh btw you only have 8 days to 7* your empires. good luck!" is kinda mean.

If you weren't already working towards a top toon on your own that's really your problem and not ea.
  • Naw
    969 posts Member
    Pyrefly wrote: »
    If someone farmed Greedo for credit heists before farming STH, then it shows such an alarming lack of good judgment that I can't bring myself to feel sorry about them perhaps not being able to get CLS.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. In my guild we advice new players to concentrate on scoundrels for credits and resistance for HAAT phases 2-4. StHan doesn't fit this picture, he's not needed or mandatory for anything anymore.

I don't know why you insist that StHan was somehow better choice? Old time players would benefit and those who ran p3 before Resistance came along, but now??
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Naw wrote: »

I'm not sure what you are saying here. In my guild we advice new players to concentrate on scoundrels for credits and resistance for HAAT phases 2-4. StHan doesn't fit this picture, he's not needed or mandatory for anything anymore.

I don't know why you insist that StHan was somehow better choice? Old time players would benefit and those who ran p3 before Resistance came along, but now??

Everyone knows Sthan is the better choice. Greedo is garbage and useless in every part of the game. You know StHan has the scoundrel tag right?

No bothans died to bring you this information.

ea5e336729e52c02cb800e7a934ae1743056fbf12d3498914308ca036e2deec1_1.jpg
  • This is just my perspective and I don't expect anyone else to agree with it. I'm 100% F2P and have been playing just a little over a year. I have my resources spread too thin to focus on getting my Empire team to a solid enough standing to take the last R2 tier. I don't blame anyone for that as I could have accomplished this the first time had I concentrated fully on an Empire team.

I don't feel like I'm losing anything by not being able to get CLS the first time. I still don't have Thrawn but I know I'll probably be able to get him the next time. It took me a couple of cycles to get EP at 7*. For me, it's chasing the carrot that's more exciting than actually getting it. But I know a lot of players feel differently. I guess that's the perk of being a filthy casual...heh.

Real Old Timers and Misfits - Officer

OldGreybeard 763-474-659
  • Jamesm
    863 posts Member

He is a scoundrel.....
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member

STH is a Scoundrel as well as a Rebel. New players benefit from building up a character that simultaneously allows them access to better heist rewards, as well as access to Palpatine. STH also has raid usage, while Greedo does not.
    The only function Greedo provides that STH doesn't is in a Bounty Hunter squad. As Bounty Hunters are not required for any content, and considering that they are underpowered, and rely upon multiple characters that have almost no use outside of a Bounty Hunter squad, make them a very undesirable farm.
  • I currently have a 6 star Darth Vader almost 7 star. I have 5 star stormtrooper, tie pilot, Tarkin, palpatine, and a 4 star snowtropper. I also have 3 star imperial gaurd and magmatrooper.

Then you don't deserve him.

Very Savage

But so true
  • Uklem
    46 posts Member

I think that the whole 6 month for legendary is not based on what happened but on what the dev annouced at the start of the year. I would need to search
    This is just my perspective and I don't expect anyone else to agree with it. I'm 100% F2P and have been playing just a little over a year. I have my resources spread too thin to focus on getting my Empire team to a solid enough standing to take the last R2 tier. I don't blame anyone for that as I could have accomplished this the first time had I concentrated fully on an Empire team.

I don't feel like I'm losing anything by not being able to get CLS the first time. I still don't have Thrawn but I know I'll probably be able to get him the next time. It took me a couple of cycles to get EP at 7*. For me, it's chasing the carrot that's more exciting than actually getting it. But I know a lot of players feel differently. I guess that's the perk of being a filthy casual...heh.

I understand your POV, but CLS is not exactly the same as the other rare legendary.

- You can't work on it a little at a time. Think of the cycles for getting a 7* EP and now the same without the intermediary cycle (Working on EP or Yoda without any reward at all for my first 2 try would have been frustrating. Casual players don't care about being the best, but they want to feel that what they do is worth something. Why more epic = less player able to enjoy the event I'll never understand.

- EP/Thrawn/Yoda were not needed for the next Legendary. No R2 = No CLS = No Jedi Luke = No Old Luke? ( maybe not since he is linked to a new movie. We'll see). Unless they plan to change how legendary work by allowing two per month (did it this month so why not) or no time limit, I don't see anyone getting Jedi Luke in less than 12 months and it's by focusing so much on it that they will handicap themselves in other part of the game (no tier 3 credit Heist or Heroic team or Top Arena ranking or .....). Depending on when you join compared to the last Luke's journey ending it could mean 2 years to get it. Some people change phone/tablet more often than that. Putting it behind a paywall would at least be more honest for the players coming to the game hoping to play one of the main character of the story (and the loading screen).

- EP/Thrawn/Yoda are not some character which can potentialy make your guild exclud you (or the one who have it leave) if they want to be serious about the new content.

What happened is the dev heard the cry of the whales/old player about the new ones being able to be competitive against them but for me their answer is disproportionate.

Yes the whales needed something to make them distinctive, but not by gearing the whole game to their benefit for the next year.

What I predict is them dominating Arena (and Ship Arena later) with CLS, Jedi Luke and G12 character while the only answer of the "normal" players will become useless (Chaze, Nihilus, ...). Essentially Chaze has finally been nerfed but only for the non paying players. This is exactly what was asked!! (PS : Not a Chaze user, but it doesn't mean I can't understand them)

They will also come together to dominate TB by creating Guild focused on the new content which will also focus Guild ranking on them. Personnaly I don't care but for any guild proud of their ranking (whatever it is. No need to be first to be happy), it will mean a nerf. But since they are paying it is not a problem, right?

Unless the dev finally make GW work (the new power level are still not used and would need to be ajusted again. Why push a hot fix in July which broke the game, if it's not used?), Node 11 and 12 will become unwinable once the first G12 or CLS appear which mean less Currency and so a slowed developpement. Good idea especially if big roster become more important. Old players love to tell us we have life easier than them for the same time spent, but it will become false (if it ever was true) really fast.

Having a working guild will become harder if you are not one of the chosen one. I am quite happy to not having CLS available to me because one month later I would have and as one of the 2 best player of my guild (and the guild leader) I would have been afraid in a few months to need to switch guild to get the new content.

Only content not affected would be Raid unless they plan to adjust the difficulty to make G12 the new norm for heroïc. I am afraid of that since they spoke of "refreshing change to old difficulty". If they modify raids I really hope they will do it by adding a new tier and not altering the previous one.

• Naw
    969 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    ...but StHan is a scoundrel.

Yes, everyone knows that. So is Greedo. The point being besides credit/training droid heist StHan was not needed. Greedo does more damage, is available earlier, so using the argument of StHan somehow being a better choice is not a valid one.

We have not told anyone not to get StHan, but for raiding he is most certainly not required.

Edit: And as you all know only Lando is really needed for the heists.
  • Fatzke wrote: »
    Less time = people spend money on packs.
    Is that really that hard to understand?
    Do we really need another 56759 whine threads about this that won't change anything on every single event?

Except the packs do virtually no good for the character that is the topic of this thread, specifically R2. Yeah there are empire packs... and they're all for difficult farm troopers, so unless you were already working on troopers the packs are irrelevant. I'll use my nephew's account as a reference. He has a start on Veers (20/65), but even if he spent the $80 on both Veers packs he'd still be 70 shards short. An insurmountable gap for that character with a weeks notice. The other trooper packs are the same story. There is no way to 7* even 1 Imperial without dropping hundreds of dollars on RNG packs, which is not realistic for most players that still need imperials.

I have long been an advocate of the way they do things with legendary events, because generally if you have a balanced roster and pay attention to the hints even a mid-term player could usually get the unlock (for Thrawn and R2 especially). That's not the case here. There was no indication Empire would be needed, and since everything needs to be 7* for the unlock...

Giving another crack at R2 so soon was very nice of them, but there should have been hints here, and they should have had other packs at the ready instead of just re-running the hard-farm troopers.
  • Naw wrote: »
    ...but StHan is a scoundrel.

Yes, everyone knows that. So is Greedo. The point being besides credit/training droid heist StHan was not needed. Greedo does more damage, is available earlier, so using the argument of StHan somehow being a better choice is not a valid one.

We have not told anyone not to get StHan, but for raiding he is most certainly not required.

Edit: And as you all know only Lando is really needed for the heists.

He's only a key tank for P3 chirpatine but yeah whatevs
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    At the end of the day - many players did not unlock Yoda, EP or Thrawn first try. I am one of those players. I worked on my requirements and unlocked them the next time they came around (just waiting on Thrawn now).

So unlocking R2 or CLS is not new news to the community.

It took a long time before the release of CLS, but that does not mean he will return in 2 years! - Yes he is an extremely rare event, but I would bet my life that the event will return before the end of the year at least.

Everyone just needs to calm down - work on your requirements and be patient.

By that point there will be more toons that people won't unlock first time around and that will be yet another post for complaint and so it goes on.

You all know what you need to do - do it.
  • How is this thread still alive?
  • How is this thread still alive?

Boo brought it back. Shame on boo
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Hey, this thread was still floating around on the first page of General Discussion - I didn't go looking for it.

To be honest this post was so ridiculous I was compelled to add something to it, lol

@Vampire_X can this thread be closed now?

Many thanks.
  • Yay. Another closed thread on general discussion
  • Boo wrote: »
    Hey, this thread was still floating around on the first page of General Discussion - I didn't go looking for it.

To be honest this post was so ridiculous I was compelled to add something to it, lol

@Vampire_X can this thread be closed now?

Many thanks.

Which was my point about how many sub forums do we need but of course that got moved to a sub forum lol
  • Last thread on general is from 8 days ago but we gotta keep general cleaned up lol